PDA

View Full Version : What the hidden message is really saying

malictus
05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, I've just spent the last hour and a half trying to decode the infamous vocal sounds that are in Virginti Tres. The bottom line: it is just 'Francisco' over and over again!

Many have already pointed out that you noticably hear the 'Franciso' sample at approximately 3:23 into the track, but other people began to notice that by speeding the track up significantly, more vocal sounds could be heard. I've heard a number of different theories, but as far as I can tell, it's actually just more uses of this same sample.

Listen and tell me what you think: these tracks were created by sampling certain portions of the track, (sometimes) reversing them, raising the pitch a bit, and speeding up the sample quite a bit, using Adobe Audition.

2:14 - 2:50 (reversed) (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/214_250_r.mp3)
2:50 - 3:18 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/250_318.mp3)
3:22 - 3:30 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/322_330.mp3)
3:32 - 4:10 (reversed) (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/332_410_r.mp3)
4:10- 4:36 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/410_436.mp3)

In some cases, the sample is incomplete or fades away, but I do think it's pretty obvious that the same sample was used in each case. I'm still completely unsure what to do with the first 2 minutes of the track though.

It sounds like they just took the sample, lowered the pitch a bit, added some chorus panning and reverb, then slowed the sample WAY WAY down. And the samples weren't slowed down at a constant rate either, making it even harder to decipher.

As for WHY they chose to loop this sample over and over again and disguise it, I have no clue. But I know some of you will,,,,

malictus
05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Hmm, those mp3's didn't encode very well; they sounded much better as WAV's! I'll try to repost some sound files tonight that are hopefully clearer...

Carbonatedgravy
05-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Yep, sounds like the same sample in all of them. (Except maybe the last one.) Cool of you to do, but I'm still confused as to what this is supposed to mean.

tollll12
05-24-2006, 11:47 AM
They sound slightly different, but I wouldn't doubt they all say the same thing. However, it just doesn't sound like Fransisco to me... sounds like The System.

And yeah, the encoding wasn't that great.

Fulcanelli
05-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting the samples. The question remains: who is Francisco? St. Frances?

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
hes saying "france is good" we all know mjk is well into his wines and hes simply remarking on that fact that france produces some excellent bottles of wine.

imaduh
05-25-2006, 09:55 AM
that's fucking great. y'all should get some commendations for tearing this track apart and deciphering it's cloak & dagger appeal. france is good almost had me laughing heartily, but i chuckled instead and said "ha-heh-heh".

no way is 'the system" being said, as everyone knows tool hates daron malakian. =)

Cid
05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
i hear "assist us"

youareveryhit
05-25-2006, 11:13 AM
I was previously torn between "assist us" and "the system" but this makes me think that both of those theories are wrong. while I definitely don't hear "francisco" I am certain that was I thought was a "t" sound before is definitely a hard "c" sound. the only thing I can piece together is "the cisco" which makes absolutely no sense.

hmm.

Cucumber_11
05-25-2006, 11:37 AM
As for WHY they chose to loop this sample over and over again and disguise it, I have no clue. But I know some of you will,,,,

Are you sure you are not just editing the song until you get something that sounds like what you wanna hear? I'm pretty sure you could mold the song into anything with the right programs, like a remix.

malictus
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Are you sure you are not just editing the song until you get something that sounds like what you wanna hear? I'm pretty sure you could mold the song into anything with the right programs, like a remix.
No I don't think I'm just molding it to suit what I wanted to hear. In fact, I wasn't looking for the same sample over and over when I started dissecting this, and I was actually surprised when I found it.

I'm not doing any fancy processing other than speeding the song up and raising the pitch.

Note that I'm not saying WHY the sample is there, and I'm not even sure what the sample is saying. But I'm pretty positive that it is indeed the same vocal sample being used several times in different ways.

disorderfeed
05-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Having played about with the obvious sample myself and then the time spans mentioned above, I have a somewhat different interpretation of what the voice is saying. Interpreting these sounds is terribly subjective, so I'm not going to pretend that this is the answer.

What I hear is "magister", latin for "master". I'm not sure why, but it definitely makes the track seem deeply creepy to me.

Darkness13
05-27-2006, 07:46 PM
The third one (3:22 - 3:30) definately sounds like the system... 2:14 - 2:50, however, sounded to me like "magister"... Now, I'm just listening to your samples and hearing what has been mentioned, but I don't think it's one clip... I don't hear anything special in 4:10 - 4:36, though... Nothing except some hissing that reminds me of the movie Independence Day...

But I've got a new one... 2:14 - 2:50... Heresy?

Edit: This is a really interesting thread... I hope people keep up on this one...

malictus
05-28-2006, 06:19 AM
The same samples, re-encoded to AAC using iTunes. A little bit clearer....

2:14 - 2:50 (reversed) (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/214_250_r.m4a)
2:50 - 3:18 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/250_318.m4a)
3:22 - 3:30 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/322_330.m4a)
3:32 - 4:10 (reversed) (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/332_410_r.m4a)
4:10- 4:36 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/410_436_a.m4a)

Rosette feasted
05-28-2006, 06:29 AM
I've found the only real message http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BFCE5C10098B9921

Scobularni
05-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I now hear "Ascisco", which is Latin for "to receive, admit / adopt / take up, approve."

Obvious correlations with JMK's ascension and meeting with God.

It's probably not right but it makes the most sense to me so far.

Darkness13
05-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I now hear "Ascisco", which is Latin for "to receive, admit / adopt / take up, approve."

Obvious correlations with JMK's ascension and meeting with God.

It's probably not right but it makes the most sense to me so far.

You know, you might be on to something... This does make sense... And we do know Maynard to use different languages in his songs (Die Heir von Satan, etc.)... I don't know if it's just because I've been swayed by this post, but now I hear Ascisco, too...

EDIT: Did you mean MJK?

jack_flash
06-02-2006, 06:01 AM
It'd make sense for it to be a Latin word as well, seeing as the song title is in Latin.

Also for the guy above, JMK would be Judith Marie Keenan right?

Symbia
06-02-2006, 06:19 PM
ok first off the guy who said this is the only real message...thats just plain fucked...that audio file sounded like an EVP or sumthing..oyu know like white noise...well anyways

i think i here ascisco also...and that word would definantly make sense your right...i just can't beleive tool did sumthing like this it's outta control it's amazing...I GOTTA TELL PEOPLE!!

Symbia
06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
oh and you guy's know how viginti tres is 23 of course?...well the saying...23 skidoo means to leave quickly...this is ironic because the song is actually a short sound clip lengthened longer and instead of maynards mom dying quickly it took her 10,000 days....

PriceisRight
06-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I think this is her death. Her asscention into the beyond (heaven or what have you).

23 skidoo works with that because she left earth.

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 06:52 PM
hm...i think i found the lyric....but i'm not sure...let me analyse a little further and i'll have it...

Vondruke
06-02-2006, 11:53 PM
on that 2:14 reversed I hear "that's the end"

Symbia
06-03-2006, 05:43 AM
it sounds like just "thats the"...i couldn't hear the "end" though

Inner_Eulogy
06-03-2006, 12:23 PM
They sound slightly different, but I wouldn't doubt they all say the same thing. However, it just doesn't sound like Fransisco to me... sounds like The System.

And yeah, the encoding wasn't that great.

That would just be retarded if it was Francisco...that doesn't even make sense

Inner_Eulogy
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
If you can stretch it out even longer you can totally hear it say "you fucking fools"

mike tyson
06-03-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't think it's anything discernable being said. I've said that I believe that it's meant to be the voice of judgement.. something so massive, perplexing, and awesome that one cannot even fathom what is said. It's a little mystery we'll probably never find out, and for good reason.

Also, with the whole Viginti/Wings/10kD sync shit, maybe it's this...

2+3= 5
5/2= 2.5

Song 2.5 on the album.. it was meant to before WFM and after Jambi, but they thought the finality theme of it worked better as the ending of the album.

Thrust Dixon
06-03-2006, 07:41 PM
During the 2:14-2:50 reversed I hear "Let us in"

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 07:59 PM
It sound's like Hashish in the regular version.

Yondo
06-03-2006, 08:12 PM
The Message is clear.

"Ascisco"

It is Latin, as the title suggests it would be. It is the soudn of God calling to the people below him, "I accept my people!"

Imagine that, finally, after 10,000 years in the fire, God finally gives his final edict, the swirling winds, the torrents of earth, and the final rapture.

"Ascisco! I accept my people! You're going home!"

That is the message.

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 08:22 PM
The Message is clear.

"Ascisco"

It is Latin, as the title suggests it would be. It is the soudn of God calling to the people below him, "I accept my people!"

Imagine that, finally, after 10,000 years in the fire, God finally gives his final edict, the swirling winds, the torrents of earth, and the final rapture.

That is the message.

I like your idea much better :).

Darkness13
06-04-2006, 06:15 AM
The Message is clear.

"Ascisco"

That is the message.

Yes, this does make sense... But have you listened to the clips yet? I'm pretty sure there is more than just "ascisco"... They all don't sound the same... I don't know if it's just how they played with the clip differently, but I was sure I heard more than one thing in the different clips...

Gnome_Chomsky
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Which reminds me that Fiaap De Oaid actually means the voice of god. So this makes the most sense from what ive heard yet. Thank you Yondo.

Janos
06-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Why am I the only one who thinks that you are inventing stuff?

The only VT theory that makes sense to me is that Tool wanted to make a creepy noisetrack to be a suiting ending for 10kD. So they came up with this idea. Why not have Maynard say the first words that spring to his mind, then sample it up or just distort or filter it through fucked up mics and stuff? They don't need to conceal messages. (They got the lyrics for this job). They just wanna make noisetrracks that sound cool. That's all. Remember when "Mantra" was proved to be nothing but Maynard squeezing one of his siameze cats and then playing it real slow? It's the exact same case. Amen.

opiated
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
It's nothing but Pareidolia.

You guys want to hear something -- and you do, because that how the basics of the brain are hardwired. We are hardwired to see faces of loved ones in the clouds and voices when we play an album in reverse. Humans tend to make something out of nothing.

The Message is clear.

"Ascisco"

That is the message.

This post is the only post that makes me question my previous assumptions. As of now, I'll stick with my Pareidolia Theory, but I plan on keeping this in the back of my mind when I converse about the subject.

j1m
06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
That would just be retarded if it was Francisco...that doesn't even make sense

if the message was 'francisco' it might have had something to do with a 18-19th century artist named Francisco de Goya y Lucientes
he had an extensive collection of works mostly portraits but the most interesting i think are the following:

Desastre de la Guerra (Disasters of War) there is a series of these
Saturn Devouring One of His Chidren; it was fortold that one of Saturns' children would dethrone him,
St. Peter Repentant; depicted along side a set of keys he was given as to why he's repentant might have something to do with the way he used them symbolicaly speaking.
Fight with Clubs;
Allegory: War or Evil; he painted a lot of these images on the walls of his house

there are many more
check out these url's

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/goya/

http://www.abcgallery.com/G/goya/goya-3.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Goya

KlepTIK
06-13-2006, 05:39 PM
3:22 - 3:30 (http://mypage.iu.edu/~jhallida/tool/322_330.m4a)

That one sounds like Darth Vader saying "a sister" .

Airgonaut
06-13-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm with KlepTIK. Also, "Ascisco" would be pronounced "askisko" in Latin, not with the "s" sounds we have in English. They don't have the "s" sound for the letter C. Also, someone else mentioned "Magister," which is latin for "Master" or "Teacher"...That'd be pronounced like "mag-is-stair," and not "Maj-is-stair" which is closer to what I heard.

But I'm not sure how "correct" they'd have their latin pronunciation for a hidden word. And in case anyone is wondering...it's "Wiginty Tres." All "v"'s in latin are a "w" sound. But I doubt anyone gives a shit, including those in the band.

But really, once KlepTIK mentioned it, it definitely brings me back to that Luke/Vader showdown where Luke's hiding and Vader says, most self satisfied "...a siiisssstaaah."

Anywho, my two cents. Hope my two years of Latin in high school helped?

o0beaner
06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
If the voice in the middle of the song says anything, I agree with the notion that it would be in Latin, and have since I first heard it. I haven't spent much time researching it yet, but it wouldn't make much sense to have a song titled in Latin, whose contents are in English, or any other language for that matter.

smeefsmeef
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
It is "Francisco" which is an anagram for "Coin Scarf" It's a subliminal message Tool uses to get us to buy more copies of 10K Days (why else would they be 9.99 apiece?).

#Notion
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Someone figure this out already so I can impress all my friends...

Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I hear "Fransisco" and I think it's a very obvious reference to the movie Elf. "FranSISCoooo, gee that's fun to say. FranSISCoooo". Same rhythym and everything. Open your eyes people!

</joking>

MyShadow23
06-17-2006, 01:14 AM
I agree with earlier comments here that this is intended to be the voice of God. The way i interpret is "Assist Her". God talking to his angels, to aid the ascension.

Track 11 23...1-1-2-3 is the beginning of the Fibonacci sequence, what one might call a beautiful ascension.

Sounds plausible to me and seems more and more correct every time i hear it.

Thoughts??

Yondo
06-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Airgonaut, I did some thinking with my Latin buddies.

Many have agreed that, since Latin is not widely spoken anymore, is mostly textual, it is likely that a sure pronounciation is not available. Proof of this is that our Latin teacher says that C can work both ways, as it does in Latin and Portugese, and, following an S, will act as an S.
He also said that Canadian Bishops would speak a slightly different dialect of Latin than would a Vatican Bishop. So, maybe "Ascisco" could work after all.

I really don't think that the other voices matter, seeing as it's not the real track. That's like adding "Thank you very much, asshole" at the end of Lost Keys Lyrics because it's "now what happened? Tell me everything." backwards.

Some one should post a poll or somethingto finalize what it's saying.

gr8andy
06-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I have no valuable contribution to this very interesting discussion.

I just get more and more creeped out each time i listen to this shit.

CallofCthulhu
06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
It is most definately ascisco. The voice is obviously slowed down.....so I sped that shit the fuck up.

http://www.geocities.com/nectarguru/TresMessage.mp3

Not English.

Absolute_Zero
06-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Why not just compile a list of what we have variously thought it may be when listening. These are the ones I can recall.

Ascension
Assistance
A see-saw
Francisco
Partition
The System

Not saying any of these are even close to correct, just what I have subjectively heard at various times while playing the disc.

Absolute_Zero
06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
It is most definately ascisco. The voice is obviously slowed down.....so I sped that shit the fuck up.

http://www.geocities.com/nectarguru/TresMessage.mp3

Not English.

Sounds backwards too ... try reversing it?

CallofCthulhu
06-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Sounds backwards too ... try reversing it?

No it doesn't sound backwards. I did reverse it and it sounded garbled.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
On that thing I hear Das ist Gut.

Absolute_Zero
06-22-2006, 12:15 PM
The disco? just kidding ... after that sped-up mp3 though, "Fransisco" is sounding pretty fucking good right about now.

MORNING_GLORY
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty positive it says "Satan" in a sweeping voice.

JOK3R
06-22-2006, 01:06 PM
^ i doubt it

Yondo
06-22-2006, 05:59 PM
What we have to remember is, that Tool is a rational band... more or less. If this is a message, then we need to think in their heads.

Ascisco actually makes sence. Do any of the others? It's latin, like the name. It's referencing ascension, which they refer to many times in 10,000 Days, it's a godly voice, which fits Ascisco, and it sounds like Ascisco.

If it's a message (and they're probably wondering why we haven't figured it out yet) we need to decode it. And we need to get it right, so let's THINK. That's what Toolheads do.

Absolute_Zero
06-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Ascisco actually makes sence. Do any of the others? It's latin, like the name. It's referencing ascension, which they refer to many times in 10,000 Days, it's a godly voice, which fits Ascisco, and it sounds like Ascisco.

Why not just compile a list of what we have variously thought it may be when listening. These are the ones I can recall.

***************Ascension*************
Assistance
A see-saw
Francisco
Partition
The System

I like it.

CallofCthulhu
06-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Chances are that when Maynard posts the lyrics to the album he will put Viginti on there as well, afterall it is a lyric.

Yondo
06-24-2006, 09:33 AM
IF he does.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-24-2006, 01:41 PM
That could be a few years off. Maynard may pull another undertow and wait two years.

peolesdru
07-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Actually, it's a line from Star Wars Episode VI, where Darth Vader says:
"A Sister..."
In the scene where he goes on to say "So! You have a sissster"

arad512
07-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Read this thread when it's really late at night and you're alone and then turn off your light and listen to this song while you stare into the blackness of your open closet door, then when the voice comes up you should be able to see satan's face for a split second. Go ahead, try it.

Yondo
07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Funny, I saw Belial. You sure you know your demons?

MyShadow23
07-05-2006, 12:10 AM
"A Sister..."

Dude, you are much closer with this one... i still think "Assist Her" is what is said, but "A sister" does fit in with the whole big secret theory.

You know the one that goes along the lines that Maynard actually had a twin sister from whom he was separated at birth. Rumour has it that the sister had died at birth, however something else happened here, not sure on the details.

The sister however lived and turned out to be a hermaphrodite and went by the name of Dave and it wasn't until a chance meeting in or around Area 51 that Maynard was able to substantiate a life long feeling he had held. Sadly, MJK was never able to discuss this with his Mother to confirm the details, but his tendency to dress in women's clothing is a clear indication of a longing for a feminine counterpart. God finally sent Maynard a message to confirm his beliefs and he managed to record this and play it back for us as Track 11. There is conjecture about all of this, however after all this has come to light, the reason for Judith Marie's strong feelings of guilt over losing a daughter (or so she thought?), led to the turn towards God and for forgiveness.

You all heard about that one?

Hypnotize
07-05-2006, 05:14 AM
I have no valuable contribution to this very interesting discussion.

I just get more and more creeped out each time i listen to this shit.

LOL. Amen to that.

Yondo
07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
A big question here is..

Why "Viginti Tres"?

Why not simply "Twenty-Three"?

The Latin means something.

Ascisco. I recieve you.

brend_n
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Either Magister or Ascisco. Both fit the context of the overt symbology. This album cannot be fully 'comprehended' without at least a cursory knowledge of the Kabbalah and its Tree of Life. Listen to the tracks in reverse order.

Some people are drawing some pretty long bows, which is fine, but 'he who has eyes to see'...

damonsin
07-06-2006, 04:32 AM
i vote for Francisco

Q'ayin
07-06-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't see how the Tree of Life should require reversing the album, I can understand the stories either way, and the lightning bolt is traced in either direction depending on whether you follow a souls maturation or an original creation/decension of the divine.

Reversing the track order can help underscore connections which can also be held in mind and interpreted in a forward sequence.

peolesdru
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Dude, you are much closer with this one... i still think "Assist Her" is what is said, but "A sister" does fit in with the whole big secret theory.

You know the one that goes along the lines that Maynard actually had a twin sister from whom he was separated at birth. Rumour has it that the sister had died at birth, however something else happened here, not sure on the details.

The sister however lived and turned out to be a hermaphrodite and went by the name of Dave and it wasn't until a chance meeting in or around Area 51 that Maynard was able to substantiate a life long feeling he had held. Sadly, MJK was never able to discuss this with his Mother to confirm the details, but his tendency to dress in women's clothing is a clear indication of a longing for a feminine counterpart. God finally sent Maynard a message to confirm his beliefs and he managed to record this and play it back for us as Track 11. There is conjecture about all of this, however after all this has come to light, the reason for Judith Marie's strong feelings of guilt over losing a daughter (or so she thought?), led to the turn towards God and for forgiveness.

You all heard about that one?

Hilarious!

Matt8
07-07-2006, 05:16 AM
i hear smithers isn't a soldier. maybe the words he's saying are also in latin.

duncang
07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I See Stone?

inSin
07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
i hear smithers isn't a soldier. maybe the words he's saying are also in latin.

thats what i hear

Lysanderdarkstar
07-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Lol ok i was gunna post about how my 2 years of latin in highschool told me magister is "teacher" but some one else already did.... but i hear i too.....

Tape_Dispenser
07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Someone should speed up the voice. It is obviously slowed down a lot. If someone can speed it up until it sounds like a normal human voice, we might even be able to tell whose voice it is along with what it is saying.

Karmacoma
07-21-2006, 09:12 PM
He's obviously saying a crisco. Crisco would follow the ass sex motif that seems to be prevalent among tool albums and fans.

Aequitas
08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Francisco... that's fun to say!

someone already referenced Elf, didn't they?

08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Christ guys, there is nothing deep or meaningful with this song. It's just an ambient track to wind down the album. As for the samples - have none of you heard "Aldebaran of the Hyades" from Lustmord's "The Place Where the Black Stars Hang" abum? And he contributed to this album did he not? Well there you go.

StereoScopicLenses
08-28-2006, 09:17 PM
A big question here is..

Why "Viginti Tres"?

Why not simply "Twenty-Three"?

The Latin means something.

Ascisco. I recieve you.

finally someone is making some sense.

Mad Rany
09-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Pablo Francisco, comedian, duh. ^_^.....not.

Sea of Lies
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
ASCISCO.
i used fruity loops and heard it with higher pitch and it says ASCISCO. it's undeniable.

Sethdood
09-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Alright well, I'm sure every huge fan here believes, like I do, that they are a huge Tool authority who "gets" them like no other. That being said, can I attack this at an angle I haven't seen anybody take a bite at just yet?

Aenima had a lot to do with people (or a person) who is treading the border of self discovery and dabbling in what will become the background of heavy duty psychic practice, clearly designed to have the listener do some heavy research into somewhat occultish topics and parapsychology, if they want to have any idea wtf is going on.

Lateralus was kind of the "preaching to the chior" album, accepting that the listener already has some weight under their belt in the metaphysics arena, and feels more like they're kind of speaking our language ("us" being the people in that comunity) about stuff instead of trying to really teach anything too new and crazy.

10,000 days is a totally different animal, it's kind of saying "alright we all took you there, let's remember we fucking live on earth". It's grounding and current, the new lesson being yes, look into every thing for significance and use the knowledge you've gained, but don't fuck up and let your mind float away. Shit is still real as hell outside of the metaphysics world and we can't forget to let our feet touch the ground.

Now, agree or disagree, Tool knows how their fans are, they know that we will sit here and try to tear apart everything for significance and sometimes concoct the most ridiculous connections between actually unrelated things. Wouldn't it make sense to send us on a wild goose chase, looking for an audible easter egg in the most obvious fucking place for it on any Tool album? They've been at this for years guys, if they wanted to make us work for it, they'd put it where we'd never find it, like in Lateralus. I think the lesson here may be just that, don't look for significance in the obvious place where you are expecting it, DON'T have preconceived notions about things ("Tool always puts hidden shit in their albums") because it can inhibit you seeing actual reality. Seems to be the theme of the album, perhaps viginti tres is just nailing the point home?

0ctopod
09-04-2007, 07:01 AM
For anyone who feels the segues are mere practical jokes:

http://www.inkescape.blogspot.com

Inner_Eulogy
09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
For anyone who feels the segues are mere practical jokes:

http://www.inkescape.blogspot.com

Dude, that's some of the best writings I've seen in a long time. Not that it is all necessarily all correct or false but, it's very well thought out and written and raises an eyebrow to many subleties I myself have overlooked in the past. You should write many more.

Behemoth
12-01-2007, 02:38 AM
I agree with the Ascisco theory. Yesterday I synced it up with 10,000 Days and I was a little surprised (and why not, freaked out), that Ascisco came immediately after "I'm gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way, your way home ...". So, immediately after Maynard says she's on her way home, you can hear a voice from above claiming "Ascisco". "I ascend, to my home".

Dez 46&2
01-21-2008, 09:18 AM
its all confusing

rand()%0
02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
The Message is clear.

"Ascisco"

That is the message.

Um, sounds to me just like "This is good" (And God saw that it was good) which is also fairly close to the above

ManicMuppets
02-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Maybe it's the words "Acids good" with the space between words cut out, there is a cut in the words if you listen. I dont think it matters what it really is, the fact that these interpretations exist and add way more meaning to the tracks then was ever put into them is awesome. Makes me wish i had a fanbase devoted to creative interpretations.

something_Dark
03-22-2008, 01:45 AM
hey didnt Danny claim to have some PUP demon living in his lodge? It's trapped in this thing about his home kit I guess. Say's it gives him ideas for structures of rhythm. Here's a far out idea but hey maybe the lil bugger is giving out vocal advice as well!

Etamina
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm surprised to see that so many don't believe there is signficance to be found in this track.

Even tracks like Die Eier Von Satan are telling us something, even if the message isn't direct.

Tool is a serious project. All of it's members can exert themselves creatively in other ways, and I don't believe they're "just having fun" when they get together to make an album. They have a message to share, and they havean intention that cannot be denied.

I agree that they don't want the sweetest fruits of their labor to be obvious, to be picked quickly. But there is nothing readily intelligable about Viginti Tres, and seems unfair to accept it at face value as nothing more than an ambient, creepy track to wrap up 10,000 days.

Remember, this is a voice, and so immediately becomes less abstract. It is at least one word with a definite meaning.

I have no concrete answers, but I agree with Ascisco. It makes the most sense contextually, and if we can agree that this is this voice of God (per Tool), then I wouldn't count on the words being English.

Part of Tool's beauty is rediscovering more ways to percieve their art, and given their history, anything submitted by them to the world should be seen as inspired until proven arbitrary.

Inner_Eulogy
05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm surprised to see that so many don't believe there is signficance to be found in this track.

Even tracks like Die Eier Von Satan are telling us something, even if the message isn't direct.

Tool is a serious project. All of it's members can exert themselves creatively in other ways, and I don't believe they're "just having fun" when they get together to make an album. They have a message to share, and they havean intention that cannot be denied.

I agree that they don't want the sweetest fruits of their labor to be obvious, to be picked quickly. But there is nothing readily intelligable about Viginti Tres, and seems unfair to accept it at face value as nothing more than an ambient, creepy track to wrap up 10,000 days.

Remember, this is a voice, and so immediately becomes less abstract. It is at least one word with a definite meaning.

I have no concrete answers, but I agree with Ascisco. It makes the most sense contextually, and if we can agree that this is this voice of God (per Tool), then I wouldn't count on the words being English.

Part of Tool's beauty is rediscovering more ways to percieve their art, and given their history, anything submitted by them to the world should be seen as inspired until proven arbitrary.

Of course, because Tool has no sense of humor and everything they do is deliberate and with impeccable seriousness.

Ever listened to Maynard's Dick, Hooker With A Penis?? Of course if you're into finding the underlying meaning behind the almighty cock then have at it.

On the other side, I know what you're saying but all I'm saying is some things Tool does is just meant at a face value without the layered hidden messages.

"lay off the acid dickhead, no puzzles here"

Tool_Is_Sick
05-02-2008, 07:01 PM

QFT.

Rolo
05-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Of course, because Tool has no sense of humor and everything they do is deliberate and with impeccable seriousness.

Ever listened to Maynard's Dick, Hooker With A Penis?? Of course if you're into finding the underlying meaning behind the almighty cock then have at it.

On the other side, I know what you're saying but all I'm saying is some things Tool does is just meant at a face value without the layered hidden messages.

Didn't Bill Hicks mention "there will be dickjokes later on", when he got too far into the serious subjects? Maybe Tool does so by making dicksongs, LOL

So whenever there are sexual organs mentioned in a Tool song, there's no hidden message in it. Same goes for the whole Puscifer catalogue.

Etamina
05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
So whenever there are sexual organs mentioned in a Tool song, there's no hidden message in it.

I wouldn't say that at all, at least concerning "Stinkfist". I mean, there's a definite message underneath those lyrics.

I did forget about Maynard's Dick, but even still I feel it falls into a different category. You wouldn't hear that at the end of a studio album.

We're talking about a band that writes albums, not necessarily songs. And the whole thing is inspired and particular. To call any part of them meaningless casts a shadow of doubt over the whole album. We draw messages from the instrumental aspects because we understand the intentions behind them.

What I mean to say is, to disqualify Viginti Tres as an inspired, deliberate track is foolish, given their reputation and discography. They have something to say!

Inner_Eulogy
05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Ie're talking about a band that writes albums, not necessarily songs. And the whole thing is inspired and particular. To call any part of them meaningless casts a shadow of doubt over the whole album. We draw messages from the instrumental aspects because we understand the intentions behind them.

Yeah but there's also a big difference between saying they're meaningless or saying that there's some super secret underlying message that you must envision with your thrid eye while playing the lateralus vinyl backwords at 23rpm in while the temperature drops 4 degrees.

...all I'm saying is that some are to be taken at face value while others may have some multi-layered meanings but when you try to make the music into the Holy Grail you've gone too far. Trust me, I do appreciate Tool and their music to the highest degree. I think Lateralus was a masterpiece the way they integrated the fibonacci sequence into it and how they imbed Freemason-esque hidden easter eggs in their music, art and lyrics. But that's all it is, they each have their own personal curiousities and interests that they throw into the mix. With the occult references, aliens, religion, the third eye, etc. It doesn't make them gods by all means, they're just clever fuckers that leave us fans interested to know more and read into what they're displaying because they do make it somewhat subliminal and not just in black and white. It's simple as that, appreciate it for what it is and put away your Crackerjack box decoder ring.

Rolo
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah but there's also a big difference between saying they're meaningless or saying that there's some super secret underlying message that you must envision with your thrid eye while playing the lateralus vinyl backwords at 23rpm in while the temperature drops 4 degrees.

...all I'm saying is that some are to be taken at face value while others may have some multi-layered meanings but when you try to make the music into the Holy Grail you've gone too far. Trust me, I do appreciate Tool and their music to the highest degree. I think Lateralus was a masterpiece the way they integrated the fibonacci sequence into it and how they imbed Freemason-esque hidden easter eggs in their music, art and lyrics. But that's all it is, they each have their own personal curiousities and interests that they throw into the mix. With the occult references, aliens, religion, the third eye, etc. It doesn't make them gods by all means, they're just clever fuckers that leave us fans interested to know more and read into what they're displaying because they do make it somewhat subliminal and not just in black and white. It's simple as that, appreciate it for what it is and put away your Crackerjack box decoder ring.

Well said.

Inner_Eulogy
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Well said.

I know

Rolo
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I know

Now that was narcistic, wasn't it?

Inner_Eulogy
05-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Now that was narcistic, wasn't it?

...or just confidence...I don't think I am...just a smartass, one who's narcistic acts like it but really means it

Etamina
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I think we're on the same page.

Inner_Eulogy
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
I think we're on the same page.

Who's on what page with you?

Etamina
05-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Who's on what page with you?

You. I just mean to say that I think we agree with one another, even though we're sort of arguing. At least as far as Viginti Tres is concerned, there is something to be gleaned.

Right?

Inner_Eulogy
05-09-2008, 09:08 AM
You. I just mean to say that I think we agree with one another, even though we're sort of arguing. At least as far as Viginti Tres is concerned, there is something to be gleaned.

Right?

Ok, I just wasn't sure what you were referring to by the comment **shrug**

delusionsofmaturity
06-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Many seem to be in agreement that "ascisco " (which does make perfect sense to me) may be the "hidden lyric". However, my interpretation is this:

Judith Marie has ascended, and it is the voice of God saying "MY SISTER"...welcoming her home.

Now this is what I hear without slowing or speeding up the recording, or doctoring it up with an audio editor, just good ol' fashioned headphones.

I'm probably wrong, but after listening to the long and mostly sad story told in the 3 parts of "Wings", it's rather conforting to picture the journey having a somewhat happy ending.

Gotr
03-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm not going to make any real argument about the validity of the ascisco argument itself, but I will say that the Latin scholar earlier made a crucial mistake: yes, in *classical* Latin ascisco would be pronounced "ahss-keess-koe" and viginti tres would be pronounced "wi-ghen-tee traess," in *ecclesiastical* Latin (shorthand amongst Latin scholars to refer to Latin as it is used since the 20th century largely by scholars from the Roman Catholic Church and a few other protestant groups), ascisco would be pronounced "ah-shee-schoe," and viginti tres would be pronounced "vi-jen-tee traes."

CommanderKeen
03-09-2012, 01:20 AM
ok you might think this is stupid but
jambi is the name of the genie on pee wees play house when genies grant wishes they usually say a magic word what is said in viginte tres is that magic word the pot is jambi's lamp maynard made a wish WANT TO WISH IT ALL AWAY and he will know WHEN TO LET YOU OUT

03-14-2012, 04:26 AM
The asisco argument is definetely as wrong as the "my sister" argument.
I found out some things but the mods in this forum haven't approved my posting yet. Apparently they have to approve it because there is a link in my posting.

In the posting I came to this conclusion:
- The voice doesn't speak "asisco" (I'll post the disprove when I'm allowed to do so) but several sounds with vowels in it.
- The sequence said by the voice is repeated over the whole song but at very very different speeds and different pitch.
- At its normal speed the voice doesn't sound human. Especially the intonation is not how humans speak. It sounds like alien voice.
- Maybe the spoken sounds are Enochian?

mcam88
10-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Wow... an almost decade old forum trail. Awesome. I like what you a throwing down 11235; it does sound inhuman. It sounds almost like an EVP, as others have said. Don't know, won't know. God damn, shit the bed.

The main riff to Lateralus is the intro to X-Files. They just 're-tooled it.'
If it is, "the sister," then it is a reference to Fox Mulder's sister who was taken by ETs.

If it isn't the sister, it's a computerized anagram of some kind with layered syllables and letters. Solve it... nahh.

mcam88
10-03-2013, 12:31 AM
I just wanted to let you know...
I figured it out...
Mwahahahhahahahhahaha
It is not a 'Human' voice. But this is a hint as to what language it is ;)

Aenima72826
08-25-2021, 11:40 AM
"A Sister..."

LMFAO