Okay.

M.Luther
05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
that newsite
for using html tags in the page title
har har

seraph
05-23-2006, 10:49 PM
too bad you got that from a site and took it at face value imatoolhed...im not chastising just reminding but whatever happened to taking things with a grain of salt...but luckily the writer is right. pee wee's playhouse was a kewl show and no matter what age you are i recommend it but then again i like spongebob. neways, jambi was sort of tool-esque being a floatin blue head in a box with his sarcasm and sexual innuendos even though it was a kid's show (more evident in movie) but then again patrick starfish screams out "i am the lizard king" and woosh zing! straight over their little heads.

so if i could i'd wish it all away

imatoolhed
05-24-2006, 02:33 PM
some don't see/read sarcassam when they see it ... oh well. *shrugs*

woosh zing! straight over your little heads.

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM

I thought it was funny, but not as funny as your signature. That's awesome.

seraph
05-24-2006, 09:07 PM

my bad i thought you were an idiot as this place has become infested with some. didnt know you were being sarcasstic. so you told me and straight over my big head. peace.

sdrawkcab
07-14-2006, 02:18 PM
No salt needed here. Kudos to whomever noticed this before it became syndicated on Adult Swim. And just when I thought this album couldnt Possibly seem any less artistically driven...

sdrawkcab
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM

By the way, I usually wouldnt digress Imatool, but that's Mitch Hedberg's quote you have there. Not yours.
I guess that went over every else's head too. Plagiarizing a man only a year after he's passed away?

imatoolhed
07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
By the way, I usually wouldnt digress Imatool, but that's Mitch Hedberg's quote you have there. Not yours.
I guess that went over every else's head too. Plagiarizing a man only a year after he's passed away?

i'm against protesting, i just don't know how to go about saying it.

that's somebody's else's qoute in me sig as well... it's not stealing, it's honoring.

tits.

just like this ^

No salt needed here. Kudos to whomever noticed this before it became syndicated on Adult Swim. And just when I thought this album couldnt Possibly seem any less artistically driven...

what's not artistically driven about this album? i mean, come on this song is based on pee wee's playhouse charactor. *raises eyebrows*

Kev1326
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Dammit, I suggested this in another thread. I think someone took my joke and researched it, thus not giving me credit for mentioning this last night in one of these posts in the Jambi area.

Vondruke
07-20-2006, 09:27 PM

If you were old enough to grow up with the show, you knew what it was the day you saw the tracklisting.

"wish" did somebody say wish?

The only people who lost the band's sense of humor are the ones who need to pull their head out of the hippy haze and give a listen. JMO, though.

Kev1326
07-21-2006, 10:40 AM
If you were old enough to grow up with the show, you knew what it was the day you saw the tracklisting.

Actually, for me it's been so damn long since I watched the show, I couldn't remember any names past PeeWee and Cowboy Curtis. It wasn't until recently the Jambi name hit me up and clicked that it was also Tool's song.

Kudos to Tool, if they actually meant this. What a total mindfuck. Maybe on the next album they'll title a song "The Shredder." lol

Ertai
07-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho!

Mecca lecca hi, mecca chonny ho!

Mecca lecca chonny mecca holahola HEY!

deps
07-26-2006, 07:11 AM
useless forms of knowledge....

not sure how true this is to the naming of the song but i think its kinda funny how he wishes it all away and on pee wee's playhouse the genie is named Jambi....

lizbiz
07-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Before everyone starts flaming you... this has already been discussed in several forums. Jambi is also a province in Indonesi. (King's mountain view, feast like a Sultan I do)

Maybe Maynard uses both of these as metaphors to get across his message.

Terry21
07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
In that other thread the guy asked if it is coincidence. In this thread you think it's kinda funny.

How... in hell... can this be when we don't even know what the track title refers to?

imatoolhed
07-26-2006, 07:47 PM
i would have to say it's very close match to this one (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=49125)

Cycloz
07-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Don't know if this has been posted but this is from one of the newsletters on the tool site:

SUBJECT: JAMBI

Q: "I'm not looking for some mind shattering revelation here, I'm just looking for a yes or No answer, so here goes. I was watching Pee Wee playhouses on cartoon networks adult swim, and realized the Genie in the box is named Jambi. JAMBI? Jambi? So that's where we get the title Jambi? Hilarious. "

A: Yes.

Could be a sarcastic response, who knows.

imatoolhed
07-29-2006, 07:51 PM
could be, could be *shrugs*

Terry21
07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Blair is a shitty little bitch.

imatoolhed
07-30-2006, 07:43 PM
LOLOLZZ

Inner_Eulogy
07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
It says so right at the end of the review ... so, so there. < crosses arms >

http://www.dailynews.com/cdreviews/ci_3812519

This bothers me ever so much.....I'm don't buy it for a sec

Inner_Eulogy
07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Don't know if this has been posted but this is from one of the newsletters on the tool site:

SUBJECT: JAMBI

Q: "I'm not looking for some mind shattering revelation here, I'm just looking for a yes or No answer, so here goes. I was watching Pee Wee playhouses on cartoon networks adult swim, and realized the Genie in the box is named Jambi. JAMBI? Jambi? So that's where we get the title Jambi? Hilarious. "

A: Yes.

Could be a sarcastic response, who knows.

This bothers me equally as much. I think I'll be visiting the guy that wrote that article and punch him in the face. Then I'll punch Maynard in the face if that Pee-Wee genie statement is true. Then I'll kick myself in the ass AND punch myself in the face for being the asshole that said anyone that thinks it has to do with the Pee-Wee genie should be executed.....LIES ALL LIES!!

æmoeba•°·.
07-31-2006, 09:49 PM
SUBJECT: JAMBI, IAMBIC METER

Question from 'questionaire': "So, it seems that at least the first verse of the song is in Iambic meter. It is used almost exactly a typical Finnish Iambic meter:

Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S

The first verse seems to follow this formula, except all of the lines end with an unstressed syllable and are equal in length. So, the funny side of the thing is that in 'Finish Iamb' is called "jambi". How intentional is this?"

Blair's Answer: Finally! Very intentional.

This is what the song Jambi pertains to, and your answer for the meaning. There were also hints of "Morse Code" set into the song's beat as well. Take care.

-Andrew

imatoolhed
08-01-2006, 08:41 PM
This is what the song Jambi pertains to, and your answer for the meaning. There were also hints of "Morse Code" set into the song's beat as well. Take care.

-Andrew

this is the most serious and interesting statement in this whole thread

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
i dunno... doesn't seem too far-fetched to me to think that they might draw the name of a track from what was possibly the most fugged-up children's show ever produced (with Bananas in Pajamas a close second).... the thing here is that, if it is even somewhat true, Jambi was a Genie (Djinn, Jinn, Ifrit, Marid, however you might wanna call it) - an extremely important being in islamic thought, something any sultan would desire and use to satisfy his excesses. So, the whole Pee-Wee's PlayHouse reference might be a little unsettling at first, but its levity carries with it a little more impact, perhaps.

Anyways, even the place itself (Jambi) has had its historical divisions/schisms... the whole Islamic and Buddhist differences, the marriage of the Turkish Prince to the Sumatran Princess, its role as the provincial capital, etc.... that carry well with the tone of Right in Two

and stuff like that.

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
oh yeah... and read the thread on iambic pentameter in relation to Jambi. it's really well done and involves much more thinking than i am prone to.

Inner_Eulogy
08-02-2006, 01:07 PM
i dunno... doesn't seem too far-fetched to me to think that they might draw the name of a track from what was possibly the most fugged-up children's show ever produced (with Bananas in Pajamas a close second).... the thing here is that, if it is even somewhat true, Jambi was a Genie (Djinn, Jinn, Ifrit, Marid, however you might wanna call it) - an extremely important being in islamic thought, something any sultan would desire and use to satisfy his excesses. So, the whole Pee-Wee's PlayHouse reference might be a little unsettling at first, but its levity carries with it a little more impact, perhaps.

Anyways, even the place itself (Jambi) has had its historical divisions/schisms... the whole Islamic and Buddhist differences, the marriage of the Turkish Prince to the Sumatran Princess, its role as the provincial capital, etc.... that carry well with the tone of Right in Two

and stuff like that.

The only acceptance I can find within this statement is if they were poking fun at the sultan in that sense but, that just doesn't sound likely, then again, neither did the Pee-Wee thing.

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
with which statement? i make a few and you quote the whole thing.

Inner_Eulogy
08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
with which statement? i make a few and you quote the whole thing.

Jambi was a Genie (Djinn, Jinn, Ifrit, Marid, however you might wanna call it) - an extremely important being in islamic thought, something any sultan would desire and use to satisfy his excesses. So, the whole Pee-Wee's PlayHouse reference might be a little unsettling at first, but its levity carries with it a little more impact, perhaps.

That one

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
That one

Jambi was a Genie

That is a statement of fact. Just ask Pee Wee.

(Djinn, Jinn, Ifrit, Marid, however you might wanna call it) - an extremely important being in islamic thought, something any sultan would desire and use to satisfy his excesses.

...another statement of fact, with a little dash of embellishment.

So, the whole Pee-Wee's PlayHouse reference might be a little unsettling at first, but its levity carries with it a little more impact, perhaps.

This is a statement that is neither asserting nor denying if this whole Pee-Wee's PlayHouse idea is in the least bit true, I'm merely stating that the reference, if valid, would hold something a little more significant than the straightforward allusion to a tv show. It isn't a statement that requires or asks for acceptance - it is merely put there to lend some thought.

anyway, we could keep breaking each song down into infinitesimally small pieces that might hold some sort of loose relationship to something esoteric or common-place, but what then happens is the pieces no longer add up to their original sum, they aren't even close. They've each taken on a meaning of thier own and spun themselves into an oblivion of suppostition and rhetoric.

the analyses are all, in part, good and worthy of some thought at least. what happens, however, is the analyses start to take on a will of their own - it is no longer the tone, the feel of the album, or even the individual songs that drive us, but what we or others think they might mean. a similar thing happens every day with respect to That Book - it has (had) a message, but that message and its words has been through so many cycles of the analytical laundry that its faded and worn and looks more like a ghost of its former self.

truly, the noodle that is cooked just right, el dente, is desired, but catch me theorizing about its properties and origins for too long and it becomes a sticky mush, like well-trampled brains and all hope is lost. leave the meatballs for the dogs and the parmessan to be scattered over cold basement floors to cull the mice out of the baseboards. A sad, sad day....

i'd like to blame dan brown for much of this... now we look for answers in every word and every nuance, purposely scrambled thoughts.

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
oops... i rambled, didn't i?

psims23
08-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Don't know if this theory has been posited (although I do believe that it is pretty universally accepted that the title is namd after the geenie from pee-wee's playhouse) but it seems to me that this song is sung from the perspective of Jambi the Geenie. In Pee-wee's playhouse Jambi makes all of Pee-wee's problems go away.... if it's raining outside, Jambi will make the rain go away; in one episode Pee-wee's head was shrunken and Jambi turned him back into norma. And plus he looks strikingly similar to a sultan. So yeah, maybe Maynard wishes he was like Jambi and could make all of his son's problems go away, who knows. My two cents and again sorry if this has already been discussed!! Happy listening

imatoolhed
08-02-2006, 08:19 PM
here, kind of (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=49125)

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 05:04 AM
no, no, no.
tool names their songs after they are done with them. i understood that from an interview with adam when he spoke about the songs from 10,000 Days without names.
they did not start this song with an idea about peewee's jambi.

but when the song was done and it was time to name it-how cool to pick the name of a genie character from a kid's tv show? isn't it child like to make that wish to throw the past away and fix the present. and even better that jambi also is a high mountainous region to match the first verse's lyrics.

genious. i love them.

DON IOTAE
08-07-2006, 05:07 AM
It says so right at the end of the review ... so, so there. < crosses arms >

http://www.dailynews.com/cdreviews/ci_3812519
You cant be this credulous... ;)

I personally dont believe what reviews say; the author probably just did a google search for Jambi and wrote whatever he found first into the article.

And don't forget that Tool likes to fuck with your mind. Remember the "centipede/sanity" issue on prison sex? The video WANTS you to misinterpret the lyrics...

Cheers

DON IOTAE
08-07-2006, 05:13 AM
anyway, we could keep breaking each song down into infinitesimally small pieces that might hold some sort of loose relationship to something esoteric or common-place, but what then happens is the pieces no longer add up to their original sum, they aren't even close. They've each taken on a meaning of thier own and spun themselves into an oblivion of suppostition and rhetoric.

Do you study math? Or philosophy? And when I mean study, I mean that in the broadest possible sense...
... i'd like to blame dan brown for much of this... now we look for answers in every word and every nuance, purposely scrambled thoughts.
I personally would like to blame ourselves... ;)

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 06:57 AM
i think it makes sense. to name a song about wishing your past away after a genie? how does it not?

would it be better if it were named after the country?

DON IOTAE
08-07-2006, 10:14 AM
^ thats the problem; its too good a fit, its too good to be true.

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 11:56 AM
so now what? it makes sense so it can't be?

imatoolhed
08-11-2006, 06:54 PM
the thread title says it all

*rolls eyes*