PDA

View Full Version : Interesting No Quarter Interpretation

josh
04-10-2003, 03:55 AM
On my magical journey's around the internet, I stumbled on an interesting interpretation of Led Zeppelin songs. It seems that many Led Zeppelin songs, are actually about Lord of the Rings, have contain many illusions to the Lord of the Rings.

On listening to No Quarter (the live version because its heaps better) I believe that this song is about the Fellowship of the Rings journey through the mines of Moria.

The lyrics are on this site, but I'll point out a few of the major things going on.

In the first verse, it mentions the "winds of Thror." Thror was a dwarven king, that built Moria, and the winds of Thror may mean something like the winds of history.

There is also mention of "the news that must get through." Which I believe is the Ring.

The line "They choose the path where no one goes" is reference to the fact that no one goes into Moria because of the Balrog. And the fact that the have "No Quarter" might be a reference to the fact that they have no place to stay.

With the connection between this song and Lord of the Rings, it must be asked, why did TOOL choose to cover this song. TOOL hasn't covered many songs over the years appart from You Lied, and maybe a couple of others.

Maybe the TOOL boys are Led Zeppelin fans, or maybe they dig Lord of the Rings, or maybe they were drawn to it because of other things?

dork
04-10-2003, 03:28 PM
your idea is somewhat original, but the only direct link to the lord of the rings u mentioned is , the winds of 'thror'. however the actual lyrics say "The winds of Thor..."
Greek god blah blah blah.
sorry holmes

Valkyrie
04-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I dunno about why they covered it. But I do know it sounds damned good.

Perhaps they just said "Hey...instead of covering a really well done song that can't be improved upon, or has been covered a bajizillion times, lets take a song that is okay, but has enough breathing room for us to do our own thing..."

I think personally, No Quarter is a good song by Zep, but it's got a lot of potential to be "TOOLified". I mean, think if they covered "Stairway to heaven". Chances are, it would have sucked. Because it would just be that, a cover. Tool took this song and not only covered it, but got right under it and impregnated it with satan's fetus. The result? A song that sounds fucking good.

HAIL SATAN!

Adrenalin
05-05-2003, 06:54 AM
first of all,thor is actually a norse god and not greek (adrenalin the greek history show off)
and i do agree with josh's interpretation..i think that the led song is bout the fellowship (as more of the zeppelin songs are as i have heard) but ithink tool took the song many steps further...one could say that this song represents a good ''remake'' one that the new band has its own parts in the song..it looks like its a new song all together doesnt it?in another post..some ppl said that many of the lyrics have been changed..i dont know if thats true..but check out the ''hidden message'' posts too,that is the most interesting thing on this song.

ps:dont mind some stupid guys posting that this song is about them...it is about everyone.

josh
05-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Yeah, Maynard has definitley changed the lyrics to TOOL's version of the song. It changes the whole song really. The TOOL version is alot darker, scarier, not only because of Maynard's interpretation of the song. The other members of TOOL have definitley added to the dark feel of the song.

Adrenalin
05-13-2003, 03:59 AM
isnt the tool version better?it sounds that Zeppelins song was missing on its capabilities and tool came to the rescue...the same goes for the King Crimson influences..KC are great but..Tool are better...

praying4rain
05-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Tool covered "No Quarter" becuase it is a freaking a great song. I read somewhere that Tool thought about covering either "No Quarter" or "In My Time of Dying". They chose these songs because they are songs that fit with Tool's style. Of course Tool was heavily influnced by Zeppellin just like every rock band of today was.

As far as the Lord Of The Rings Led Zeppellin connection, it has been well known for a long time now. Just listen to "Ramble On" Plant uses the words "mordor" and "Gollum" in the lyrics. Also dont forget that they named a song "Misty Mountain Hop" obvious connection.

Merkaba
05-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by josh
On my magical journey's around the internet, I stumbled on an interesting interpretation of Led Zeppelin songs. It seems that many Led Zeppelin songs, are actually about Lord of the Rings, have contain many illusions to the Lord of the Rings.

On listening to No Quarter (the live version because its heaps better) I believe that this song is about the Fellowship of the Rings journey through the mines of Moria.

The lyrics are on this site, but I'll point out a few of the major things going on.

In the first verse, it mentions the "winds of Thror." Thror was a dwarven king, that built Moria, and the winds of Thror may mean something like the winds of history.

There is also mention of "the news that must get through." Which I believe is the Ring.

The line "They choose the path where no one goes" is reference to the fact that no one goes into Moria because of the Balrog. And the fact that the have "No Quarter" might be a reference to the fact that they have no place to stay.

With the connection between this song and Lord of the Rings, it must be asked, why did TOOL choose to cover this song. TOOL hasn't covered many songs over the years appart from You Lied, and maybe a couple of others.

Maybe the TOOL boys are Led Zeppelin fans, or maybe they dig Lord of the Rings, or maybe they were drawn to it because of other things?

I know for a fact that houses of the holy is danny carey's favorite album, and no quarter is on that album, thats just some info. i found a part of dissectional that says danny's top ten and it lists his fav books and albums.