PDA

View Full Version : losing its touch?

vexi
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
I, like most people thought Rosetta was the best song on the album when 10K/D was released.

My question is this. Do you guys find that this song is kind of losing it's edge faster then most Tool songs? Sure, I love the part where that guitar kicks in and just beats the shit out of you and the "overwhelmed as one might be..." vocals at the end, but overall I just don't enjoy listening to it nearly as much anymore. I don't know if it's the flow of the song or the fact that it's more of a short song with a weird seque'ish jamble of words in the beginning that no one can really understand or sing along to.

Anyway, I don't want to incite flames, I am just wondering if people still enjoy listening to this song as much as they did when the album was first released.

Sinner_In_Me
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
I enjoy it more then ever now, been on repeat for at least 3 weeks for me.

Cucumber_11
05-23-2006, 11:42 AM
For the love of god man, put the album down!

Heh, you must be listening to it pretty much constantly? That maybe a factor in the song loosings its appeal quickly. I'm giving the album some space, listening to it every few days, setting aside proper Tool time without distracting. Inbetween listens I try to listen to different bands and types of music so that I can be completly surprised and blown away when i put Tool on again.

Thats just me though, and at the moment the album is still growing on me. I like it more every time.

vexi
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I like a lot of the other songs more now, but I find Rosetta losing it's edge. I am not saying the album in it's entirety is fading, just this song.

TurdEye13
05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
never!

ersatz
05-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I still dig it. Every time I hear it I have a different picture of what's going on. It always sparks my imagination and tickles my funny bone. I think it always will.

mike_patton
05-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Heh, you must be listening to it pretty much constantly? That maybe a factor in the song loosings its appeal quickly. I'm giving the album some space, listening to it every few days, setting aside proper Tool time without distracting.

I second that statement. I've been coming here for a few weeks now, in anticipation for the new album (because I'm a tool fan, and I've been excited), and I must say many of you seem to only be listening to this album. I've had it since the first day it came out, listened to it maybe 3 times in its entirety. That being said, each time I put the cd in and listened from beginning to end, afterwards I would go back and listen to personal favs (rosetta stoned) over, but not excessively.

Personally, I can't do it. No matter how much I like a cd, or a band, or even a song, I cannot listen to it but once every few days (maybe twice). Even my favorite fucking album of the past 5 yrs, fantomas-directors cut, gets played in rotation once every couple of weeks. This is probably why I get the same feeling everytime I listen, b/c I crave it, I miss it, it still excites me.

Anything, no matter how good, gets old. Sex for example is probably my greatest pleasure in life, and I love having amazing sex w/ my g/f whom I've been dating for almost a year. The thing is we don't have sex everyday, no matter how bad we both want it, we hold out. We wait until the lust for each others love organs is so strong that we're ripping our clothes off in public trying to screw. That's why I haven't got tired of it, where as in past reletionships when I was having sex all day/everyday I got bored and moved on. Music is the same, especially if your looking for that emotional connection.

I've done it before too, I'm not without guilt. For example, I friend of mine got me into a band ( I doubt the majority of you have heard of them, but maybe a few) called Acid Bath. The band was exactly what I was looking for at the time, and needless to say I ate it up. I was taking in as much as possible, as quickly as possible. Being that the bassist of Acid Bath died after the release of the 2nd album, their catalog of music isn't very long. Within a couple of months, I had listened to the 2 albums almost constantly, and was completely burnt out. Even after all these years, as much as I still love the band, I can only rarely listen to either album (damn fucking shame).

The point is, no matter how much you love a band or a song, don't listen to it over and over again. Eventually, no matter how deep you're into it, it won't be the same, it will get old. Trust me. Don't do it, not to a great album like 10000 days.

P.s.
IMO this album, or even just this song alone, is better than anything on Lateralus, and maybe the reason It's getting old quicker is b/c you're listening to it more. Just an extra little thought, I don't know though ( you may not have).

LetGoLetgoLetGo
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
You said LOVE ORGANS.

And, I love this song. And, I love this album. And, I love organs.

mike_patton
05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Really? Me too, fresh entrails make me moist. Mmmmmmmmm, organs.

sorry, I got a little off the topic. I do really enjoy listening to this song though, and there is so much going on that I couldn't imagine getting tired of it.

resonance.
05-24-2006, 05:49 PM
It isn't so real anymore...

Max T.
05-24-2006, 06:45 PM
hell yeah, today when listening to it I had goosebumps through almost the entire first minute and a half. That song is so badass

tbrent21
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I would say just the opposite - it gets BETTER each time.

I'm pretty busy these days, 38 y.o. with two little kids and all. I haven't had time to listen to the album more than maybe 10-12 times total since May 2. But I am listening to this song at least once a day.

This song is a ****ing masterpiece, IMHO. I absolutely love it. Don't get me wrong but my one minor, minor, minor criticism of Lateralus was that it was pretty serious, i.e. the wisecracking side of Tool so evident on AEnima (e.g. "And no eggs!") seemed to be on hiatus. I love how they brought it back here, by using it not just in Harry Manback-style interludes but as a ingredient weaved into a multitextured, grand, Lateralus-the-song-styled epic climax: "But I forgot my pen. Shit the bed again. Typical."

Beelzebud
05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Opposite for me to. This was the song I did not like upon my first listen.

Now it's my favorite on the album.

tbrent21
05-26-2006, 06:41 PM

100% with you. I crave this song when I am going about my daily activities. I play it whenever I can. Its like a goddamn drug of its own. How ironic.

hbynoe
05-26-2006, 09:35 PM
i enjoy it even more
especially after seeing it live
wow is all i have to say

Drawn Under
05-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Heh, you must be listening to it pretty much constantly? That maybe a factor in the song loosings its appeal quickly. I'm giving the album some space, listening to it every few days, setting aside proper Tool time without distracting. Inbetween listens I try to listen to different bands and types of music so that I can be completly surprised and blown away when i put Tool on again.

Thats just me though, and at the moment the album is still growing on me. I like it more every time.

Either that plan or kick it with some older Tool to give the album a rest. Thats my strategy cuz sometiems when your in the Tool zone its hard to listen to something else so i usually rock a different album to add the variety.

Drawn Under
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I would say just the opposite - it gets BETTER each time.

I'm pretty busy these days, 38 y.o. with two little kids and all. I haven't had time to listen to the album more than maybe 10-12 times total since May 2. But I am listening to this song at least once a day.

This song is a ****ing masterpiece, IMHO. I absolutely love it. Don't get me wrong but my one minor, minor, minor criticism of Lateralus was that it was pretty serious, i.e. the wisecracking side of Tool so evident on AEnima (e.g. "And no eggs!") seemed to be on hiatus. I love how they brought it back here, by using it not just in Harry Manback-style interludes but as a ingredient weaved into a multitextured, grand, Lateralus-the-song-styled epic climax: "But I forgot my pen. Shit the bed again. Typical."

Yeah i totally see a lot of old characteristics brought back with this album. Aside from what you mentioned, the vocals on Jambi at the part after 'damn my eyes' seems Opiate-esque to me, and in general the song Rosetta Stoned has a more Aenima feel to it. They have seemed to successfully bring back a lot of great qualities that were changed with some of the songs on Lateralus, althought Lateralus is definately great and a like the seriousness of it they did bring back a lot of those other characteristics which i personally find very commendable that they recognized that topic of reinventing the old.

TurdEye13
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
To be 100% honest, I did not like "Rosetta Stoned" one bit the first time I heard it on May 2nd. Now it is without a doubt one of my favorite Tool songs. So it has grown on me like a vine.

M.Luther
05-30-2006, 05:25 PM
it has lost its touch for me.
i was laying outside today listening to 10kd and was just having a hard time getting into it, i kept skipping songs, and when it got RS i got really bored real fast. i finally went and got aenema.

now my skins all burnt

The_Flood
05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I could listen to the latter part of the song over and over again and never get sick of it, but the first few minutes kind of..bores me.

toolmaul
05-30-2006, 07:02 PM
i do agree its still awsome but its one song that the first time you hear it I at least just stopped doing everything and sat there with my jaw open, now its not a shock. Great song still just lost its impact. Wings gains more impact everytime out

FortySix&Two
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Shit...like many others, I crave this song. I've likely heard it about as many times as I've heard Vicarious by now..maybe a few less, and that's saying a lot. I just can't get enough of it, haha. Like it more everytime I listen to it, and i'm still catching new things in it.

imatoolhed
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
i enjoy it even more
wow is all i have to say

agreed ... and tits.

Dolophane
05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
i enjoy it even more
Same here. Seeing them do it live (and Adam breaking a string from the pure rockness of it all), starting off the show with it no less, was a nice kick in the face. In fact, I think I'm gonna go put the album in right now and turn this song on.

rembrandt_q_einstein
05-31-2006, 12:57 AM
I, like most people thought Rosetta was the best song on the album when 10K/D was released.

My question is this. Do you guys find that this song is kind of losing it's edge faster then most Tool songs? Sure, I love the part where that guitar kicks in and just beats the shit out of you and the "overwhelmed as one might be..." vocals at the end, but overall I just don't enjoy listening to it nearly as much anymore. I don't know if it's the flow of the song or the fact that it's more of a short song with a weird seque'ish jamble of words in the beginning that no one can really understand or sing along to.

Anyway, I don't want to incite flames, I am just wondering if people still enjoy listening to this song as much as they did when the album was first released.

yes, i do... in fact, i enjoy it much more

pneuma
05-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I love it more every day.

tbrent21
05-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Same here. Seeing them do it live (and Adam breaking a string from the pure rockness of it all), starting off the show with it no less, was a nice kick in the face. In fact, I think I'm gonna go put the album in right now and turn this song on.

How the hell do they pull this song off live? The tempo changes particularly throughout the second half are insane. The beginning parts (I.e. Krispy Kreme/Isabella Rosellini parts) seem to be in a basic 4/4 but do they ever come back to it? I don't think so. There so so many tempo changes its just sick. And every time you've got the count down (E.g. seems to be an 11 count in the "Don't even know what that means..." and "Can anyone tell me why..." segments), it switches on you and then switches again. The song is just relentless. I'm not a musician beyond piano lessons years ago, but at one point in the last few minutes I swear Adam is playing a seven count (pardon my primitive description), then a six count, then at another point I swear I'm hearing a five count. Other parts I can't get the timing down, its just freaking nuts. I don't know anybody could pull this song off right live, but if anybody can do it, its TOOL.

æmoeba•°·.
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
How the hell do they pull this song off live? The tempo changes particularly throughout the second half are insane. The beginning parts (I.e. Krispy Kreme/Isabella Rosellini parts) seem to be in a basic 4/4 but do they ever come back to it? I don't think so. There so so many tempo changes its just sick. And every time you've got the count down (E.g. seems to be an 11 count in the "Don't even know what that means..." and "Can anyone tell me why..." segments), it switches on you and then switches again. The song is just relentless. I'm not a musician beyond piano lessons years ago, but at one point in the last few minutes I swear Adam is playing a seven count (pardon my primitive description), then a six count, then at another point I swear I'm hearing a five count. Other parts I can't get the timing down, its just freaking nuts. I don't know anybody could pull this song off right live, but if anybody can do it, its TOOL.

:)...you realize the song slows down....near the middle and end, tempo's change to match the next song....i refer to it as ' edging paralysis ' because the momentum is faster but the tempo is slower.....

WitlessLiar
05-31-2006, 10:10 AM

Agreed.

Look at my previous posts. I said that I couldn't get into RS, and as of then it wasn't even on my playlist. It basically IS my playlist now, and I always listen to that song before I listen to the album when I sit down and enjoy Hi-Def headphones/10,000 days cd time.