PDA

View Full Version : lipan conjuring=no joke

M.Luther
05-23-2006, 11:06 AM
this segue fits in well as a start to the second half of the album. it has a good feel to it and i all around like it.

how can segue suck anyways?

Spaceman Spiff
05-23-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't see why it's considered a joke anyway. Maybe there's a translation that I've missed somewhere that puts it in the same league as "Die Eir von Satan"?

M.Luther
05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
die eier von satan as a segue was a joke(per se), but fit in with the rest of the album so well
that if you heard the album all the way through with, then without it...and with it again (etc)
it wouldnt have the same punch, if you didnt hear it.
lipan is much the same

evil agent
05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
It is not a joke. Lipan Conjuring is a breath of air, in the middle of the album, and its a haunting, eerie chant. I love it.

TheHolyGift
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
There's a lot of power in the way he holds those notes.

The Scottish Tool
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
i like it. its possibly my favourite Tool segue ever.

Loveboat Captain
05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
It is not a joke. Lipan Conjuring is a breath of air, in the middle of the album, and its a haunting, eerie chant. I love it.

it kinda made me smirk. It didnt really haunt me or anything. Great stuff.

evil agent
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure where its been mentioned, but what about the GUITAR part? The guitar seems to be speaking the same chant. Is this possibly another use of the talkbox, or something more subtle?

(it's especially clear at 00:30 - 00:34)

murph.vienna
05-24-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm not sure where its been mentioned, but what about the GUITAR part? The guitar seems to be speaking the same chant. Is this possibly another use of the talkbox, or something more subtle?

(it's especially clear at 00:30 - 00:34)

it's just vocals driven thru a tube-mic-preamp, there's no guitar.

M.Luther
05-24-2006, 09:24 PM
oh hm?

Parallel
05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Joke or not, I love it. It sounds so passionate.

evilmeow
05-25-2006, 09:10 AM
how can segue suck anyways?

If you don't like how it bridges two songs or leads into the next one?

AMF
05-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Fantastic interlude IMO, I really really love it.

STA
05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't really care for it. The segues on Aenima seemed to fit so well within the album, but Lipan Conjuring stands out on 10kDays, and not, I think, in a good way.

As has been mentioned before, Tool could have taken the six or seven minutes dedicated to Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres and included another proper song on the album instead. I wish this is what they'd done.

M.Luther
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
If you don't like how it bridges two songs or leads into the next one?

WRONG ANSWER

Jett
05-26-2006, 12:29 AM
It's cool.

Kristy31803
05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't really care for it. The segues on Aenima seemed to fit so well within the album, but Lipan Conjuring stands out on 10kDays, and not, I think, in a good way.

As has been mentioned before, Tool could have taken the six or seven minutes dedicated to Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres and included another proper song on the album instead. I wish this is what they'd done.

Proper? When has Tool ever been "proper?" haha I agree with you, however, that it stands out in not-so-good a way. On another album with a different feel, possibly; on 10,000 Days though, not really.

Even though Dier Eire von Satan (fuck, I forget how to spell that) was a joke, it had the same low beat to high beat sound as "Intermission" and the intro to "Jimmy" so it fit (not completely, I understand, but it was similar). I don't really get where Lipan Conjuring fits other than possibly in a thematic way to The Pot or Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned. Possibly.

Windir
05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
i like it. its easily my favourite Tool segue ever.

I agree. Lipan Conjuring and Wings for Marie are my fave songs from the album (I know, the majority will disagree and think I'm an asshat).

Rosette feasted
05-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I think the song would seem more serious if it would be between Rosetta Stoned and Intension. Combined with Intension, it seems like a totally different song to me and not like a joke anymore. They fit very well.

M.Luther
05-28-2006, 03:32 PM
maybe? but i think the band put it there for a reason

hushypushy
05-28-2006, 05:23 PM
the more i hear this track, the more i like it...

although, i do think it's in the wrong place. it kind of gets you into this haunting mood, ready to hear something heavy, but then it kind of anticlimaxes to lost keys. hey, maybe it's supposed to do that..

formerlycontent
05-28-2006, 09:51 PM
hands down the best song of the last 30 years

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I love it. And I'm at a age where most would look at the song and say some stupid racist joke about Native Americans (and 10 minutes later jack off to a picture of Pamela Anderson). Being mature is such a burden *sigh*.

You know, we took their land, we massacred their families, we shot their bufallo, and we anally raped their culture. The least they could get was a minute-long chant on a Tool album. XD.

slamminsalmon
05-29-2006, 11:48 AM

i have thought the same since i heard it on acid

AsylumVT
05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
I still gotta admit its a good song. Die Eir Von Satan style and i always loved that song. Its got that feeling to it that prepares you for something amazing.

locoloon
06-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Doesn't anyone hear the words "new" "Tool" "cool" ? I could swear these words are there. ARE WE READING TOO MUCH INTO SOMETHING THAT COULD BE SO OBVIOUS?

original f/x
06-01-2006, 11:12 AM

i very much agree.......intermission still holds a special place in my heart

gorilly
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
personally the sound of the shackles or what ever they are supposed to be is too manufactured for me. i don't like it, i have to skip it.

EssnayRepXTamEt
06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I didn't like this MUCH at first...
But as with every Tool CD and it's songs, it's growing on me.

eslupminoyler
06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
oh stfu

YSTFU

eslupminoyler
06-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I liked it the first time I heard it.
Sounds like a chant for protection.
It is a chant for protection.

Thejoelsvolta
06-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Does anyone consider that the Lipan tribe was native to Arizona, where Maynard now Resides?

Thejoelsvolta
06-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Other than that, it is freaking Hilarious.

RidetheRedshift
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Isn't that whats supposed to be interesting about this segue? I mean if you ever do listen to Native American music it does sound like this. And to the average European mind (not all..I'm not reverse prejudicing here) it doesn't fit the desired ideal as to what is 'good' music. But then again look what European ideals have brought our society to (again I could qualify this...I look forward to a day when we have European science checking itself against a Native American ideal and respect for nature).

I was a little put off at first because I love Native American culture and ideals and I knew how this would be taken by some. But I love this song. I like to loop it and play it over and over. It frees me from the construct of grasping at bigger, better, more complex and therefore it feels like it nourishes my soul and cleanses me. As a matter of fact I'm missing it right now.

I see a Native American Warrior on the top of a cliff looking out across the land they love and hurting at what it's become and asking the spirit for understanding and blessing. Tears....

tooltomus
06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't think it fits the feel of the rest of the album. Wasted space.

one_reflection
06-11-2006, 12:54 AM
i like it a lot. Especially towards the end (cant remember the ecast position) but the las t'chant' sounds like a combination of anguish and strong determination, its quite powerful i think.

muddywater
06-12-2006, 03:36 AM
die eier von satan as a segue was a joke(per se), but fit in with the rest of the album so well
that if you heard the album all the way through with, then without it...and with it again (etc)
it wouldnt have the same punch, if you didnt hear it.
lipan is much the same

I see Die Eier Von Satan not wholy as a joke. SATAN HAS NO BALLS, and no eggs... "und Keine Eier".

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
It sounds like that chant that people do at sporting events for teams that have Native American mascots. Don't you guys think it might be kind of like... tongue in cheek?

More like tongue in a cow's ass. (C UNDERTOW)

smeefsmeef
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I don 't know what C UNDERTOW means.

Phonetically speaking, "See Undertow".

stevejols
06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I think the song would seem more serious if it would be between Rosetta Stoned and Intension. Combined with Intension, it seems like a totally different song to me and not like a joke anymore. They fit very well.

It seems to make sense before lost keys.....
giving you a break before the next couple tracks fuck the shit out of you... chant seems in context with the LSD content in the next two songs. Chanting chills one out while tripping

Koan
06-16-2006, 08:56 AM

My thoughts exactly.