PDA

View Full Version : Would you really WANT to know what maynard thinks?

CloudEleven
04-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Let's put it to a vote. I, personally, wouldn't want to know what maynard thinks the song's about. That would make it way too definitive and hinder people's ability to be inspired and to inspire others. I think the Opinions section is the perfect solution to figuring it out. Because it is music that different people SHOULD interpret differently. Congratulations to Kabir, for building such a system.

abefrohmn
04-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Eh, I wanna know what he's singing about.

PearlForum
04-12-2003, 01:19 PM
you forget to finish your sentence..whats it about?

idontmind462
04-12-2003, 01:58 PM
You guys are fucking stupid. If you're talking about the song Lateralus and you don't know what the song means go kill yourself right now. You don't deserve to live let alone be a Tool fan. Fuck you.

CloudEleven
04-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Who the fuck are you? This forum isn't about the song, it is about the album in general as a whole. And people see it from a lot of different ways, so fuck off you closed-minded cocksucker.

Wataru
04-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by idontmind462
You guys are fucking stupid. If you're talking about the song Lateralus and you don't know what the song means go kill yourself right now. You don't deserve to live let alone be a Tool fan. Fuck you.

Congratulations, you've just made a complete asshole of yourself. Way to make your point.

Back on topic...
I think Maynard himself might not even know what he writes about totally. Many poets will sometimes just write, and figure out what their poem means after they wrote it. also... poems are written and twinked and played with so that they can be read by everyone and that everyone can relate to it. And since no person is the same, if the poem works like it's supposed to, no one's opinion will be the same. Of course it goes without saying that no one is wrong.

I think if Maynard himself posted to these threads in disgise, that would be best...
Maybe he a.l.r.e.a.d.y has!!! **spooky**. No one can say (except maybe Maynard himself), that's just what I would do if I was Maynard. But if I did do that, I would make a public statement that I did indeed post my views under an alias to the boards, so people would read every post with an open mind.

random_1
04-24-2003, 10:37 PM
no not really, im courous, and it will be the death of me!
id say he wants ys to find out for our self. and that the whole idea think for ya self.

most of us will never find out. and that is what makes it so special

in relation to him not %100 knowing what he writes,
im with ya on that, he might write in his sleep, he might dream it. he might remote view do u ever feel u can think to a certain exstent when u feel your close to some thing and then all a sudden its gone and your back were u started!
like a dead end
my idea is most people have a 3d view of things.

vison, hearing, thinking. i think there is more u look at thing from those angles, i feel im allways behind like some people have a 4th maby 5th angle maby maynard has

...cough bit of topic

answer is NO i dont wanna know, he propley doesnt?

reign3
04-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Some day I might want to know. But for right now, I like not knowing. It allows me to interpret the lyrics and make them fit into my life situations. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference if I knew, but I guess its not that big of a deal.

adjkl
04-26-2003, 09:01 PM
calm down
go outside (or look out the window)
and watch the weather change

Last~Spiral
04-26-2003, 09:05 PM
A day before I die I would like to sit with Maynard and hm tell me EVERYTHING...but until then I would not want to know. That is a great thing about loving tool

LuisCarruthers
05-07-2003, 04:15 PM
I, for one, would love to know what goes though Maynard's mind when he writes, but I wouldn't want him to just come out and tell me. That would kill the mystery. But an in depth conversation about whatever is going on would be cool. You know, the little things that pop into your head. Draw ones own conclusions from something other than just Tool's music. A bit of lateral insight.

Ah yes, I'm sure we'd all like to sit down and share a bottle of red with the man. Talk about the price of eggs.

Arkaengel
05-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Not to sound arrogant or anything, but knowing what Maynard or any other writer/musician thinks about when creating their art is of zero interest whatsoever to me.

Sure, when I was young and foolish and still under the evil influence of literary analysis classes, I bought into the concept that to appreciate a work fully, one had to either know the thought processes involved in its creation, or at least come up with a solid hypothesis. Everything worthwhile had to have an Intention and an Overt Message; failure to find this was tantamount to being a knuckle-dragging mouth breather.

Fortunately, I got smart since then. I don't need Art to find Truth or Meaning. I need Art to give my brain a good swift kick up the ass, to give the mental gears something to grind away on so to speak. Art which puzzles is better for this than Art that comes along wearing its intentions on its sleeve.

That doesn't mean I'd object to a session of talk and intoxicants with creative types whose work I enjoy. But I'd be doing my level best to find something other than their work to talk about.

Arkaengel
05-13-2003, 07:44 PM
Fuck you.
Best offer I've had all week. You bring the lube and toys, I'll supply the goat and cheese dip.

We'd need to find a jurisdiction where sex with the mentally handicapped is legal, though. I wouldn't want to get into any exploitation-lawsuit-type trouble.

tanner
05-13-2003, 07:58 PM
maynard should create a language of his own

Arkaengel
05-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by tanner
maynard should create a language of his own
There's a band called Magma, French I believe, whose singer did just that. They put out three albums in the mid to late seventies. You may want to listen to some of their stuff.

imtheism
05-17-2003, 06:32 AM

So tell us oh brilliant one, what IS lateralus about? the song or the album, it doesn't really matter to me. I'd like to see objective proof (nothing short of a direct quote from mr. keenan himself) explaining to us all what its about.

aeonblue
05-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by imtheism
So tell us oh brilliant one, what IS lateralus about?

He CAN'T. That would be way too much to reveal such a secret, it might destroy the whole idea behind Tool... It would be a catastrophe. You brainless idiots, you have to figure it out yourselves.

Hah.

DisgracedEffigy
05-17-2003, 10:47 AM
I'd hate to know what Maynard was really saying. It'd wreck a big aspect of the music.

dodes
05-17-2003, 08:05 PM
I don't know about you guys, but i'd love to just sit n watch them "jam" as it were. I've heard them say that alot of their music just comes from playing with things that develop into a form.

Being a drummer, needless to say DC is pretty much THE inspiration. I listen to alot of shit that comes out these days and the drumming is ALL THE SAME...There's no original music. Then you sit down and listen to Tool. Even going back to Undertow, the drums have thought. Now look at Lateralus. You have the Grudge - 5/4 time, TnL - 7/4 time, the Patient - 5/4 time, Lateralus - chorus of 9/8/7... you never, NEVER hear anything like this these days. It's good to see talent like this not copping out and going into psycho death metal which you often see.

I remember going to the the first concert here in Sydney seeing almost no moshpit for the lateralus songs. It's not that kind of music.

Then you add the lyrics which make you listen ever harder. So along with amazing tunes that just circle in my head, I get lyrics which make you think and looking at what people have commented on in other posts, makes me want to expand and read all sort of things. If only there were more bands that could hold us all like this. Modern times i guess.