PDA

View Full Version : could use some opinions

MarsSerpent
05-22-2006, 08:02 PM
I was really expecting more of this album, but I don't mind it's still good stuff. The first thought that comes to my mind about this song isn't relationships like but like he's wriiting from an outside view. I was really hoping this wasn't a spiritual song about jesus because somewhere along the line I read half of something that had said Maynard found Jesus. But ummm yeah any opinions that could clear this up? So just post some thoughts on the song. I've only listened to the song a few times havn't really broke it down but iI thought the lyrics were sort of under his level of intellect, unless they do have some kind of deeper meaning i'm confused about it.

MarsSerpent
05-22-2006, 08:03 PM
opinion much?

MarsSerpent
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I have to go but i'll be on tomorow, post what you can i'll check back tomorrow. You can make it long I like reading I just can't spell. -The Kateness

eleven_waiting
05-22-2006, 08:20 PM
I have to say that when I first heard the CD I felt the same way.

However we can't expect someone to preform to the same expectation.

Give thought to this....maybe, YES, the lyrics are below his intellect, but that is not HIS short coming. He meant for that. I know in my own writing I do my best to 'dumb it down' for effect sometimes.

eleven_waiting
05-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Who knows...maybe he opened his mouth without thinking a few times.

foma
05-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah that was my idea :)
if yuo want my thought check out the anti-love-song thread
cheers

MarsSerpent
05-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I have to say that when I first heard the CD I felt the same way.

However we can't expect someone to preform to the same expectation.

Give thought to this....maybe, YES, the lyrics are below his intellect, but that is not HIS short coming. He meant for that. I know in my own writing I do my best to 'dumb it down' for effect sometimes.

This is true why I originally thought it was an outside view of the situation. (ewwwwwww my cat just farted onnn meeee) I can see where he would do something like that. I was just really confused about the whole song. Still dosen't clear up the Jesus thing... I was listening to it today. Jambi is name of a place in indenasia (sp?) Do you think it has anything to do with the place, or possibly a metaphore, or even as in depth as it being something that happened there something that will happen. I thought the first half was beautiful why dumb down the second half? eh I really should have read the other thread about the name of the song. I've been hearing different meanings about it, but why call the song Jambi? Is just what's mainly confusing me, I think i get the lyrics but if I figure out what the title means i can probably put it together more. -TheKateness

+++++Darth+++++
01-13-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't know if it helps interpret the song's meaning but Adam said in the Guitar Magazine interview that the working title for Jambi was "Those Shoes".

LRonHubbard
01-13-2007, 06:00 AM
I don't know if it helps interpret the song's meaning but Adam said in the Guitar Magazine interview that the working title for Jambi was "Those Shoes".

you never really know with tool...."those shoes " could be a referenc eto a funny pair of shoes one of the band memebers was wearing when they were working on this song...who knows!!

Shantzy Boy
01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Adam was talking about the Eagles song "Those Shoes" where Joe Walsh uses a talk box... the very start of the talk box solo is kind of a tribute to this song...

wearethestories
02-10-2007, 09:58 AM
The "finding Jesus" was a hoax, by the way. An April Fool's joke that people seemed to half-believe.

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2007, 03:10 PM
The "finding Jesus" was a hoax, by the way. An April Fool's joke that people seemed to half-believe.

Apparently some fools still do...lol

RosetaStoned46n2
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
my interpretation of the song was about jesus. At first he talks about the devil
"The devil and his had me down, in love with the dark side I'd found. "
and how his life was changed. Then what I got out of the chorus was another poke at people being hypocrites which seems to be a recurring theme in the album ("The Pot"). He says he prays all day but then goes back to devil and gets what he wants. then claims he would give it all away if he lost Jesus. I've heard different people say that Maynard could be saying "Damn my eyes" or "Dim my eyes" either way he could be saying he doesnt want to be able to see these things that cause him to sin (see no evil).

"Shine on forever. Shine on benevolent son.
Shine down upon the broken. Shine until the two become one."
could be an obvious reference to Jesus Christ as he goes to heaven to join God.

thats just my take on it. My friend has an interesting interpretation of it as capitalism.. I'll get him to post soon.

and i dont believe maynard found jesus.. he wrote opiate come on.

jevons
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Seem to be saying this a lot, but what the hell. Gin is delicious.
Combine the fact that Jambi was a character on pee wee's playhouse with the references to the Luciferian construct. According to what i know of the story, our reality is that construct. To find God's reality we have to unite the two via ''enlightened'' practices. We basically have to acknowlege that Darkness is simply a test, a means by which to pass through into a better place: mentally, physically, both. The fire of our soul becomes a flower, our mind functions via the heart (ithink), and we are rid of the neccesary temptations of a creation of God.

The character wishes it would disappear, all go back to the beginning, but it can't, he has problems and time stops for none. Hence the pee wee genie.

Smart enough to know what can't be, dumb enough to look at the bottle.
And if he can't define the differences between wants and needs, the effect is the cause and he must die.

Two become one, in the most literal sense, can be the two halves of his thought: addiction and need for change. But also, we see the two becoming one as less of a dissolution of one half and more of a union, in spiritual terms: left and right meet at the heart, the center is born.

(The angels would be laughing because we suck at being tested, so far.)

jevons
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
This Jesus thing has to stop. Please, fucking stop it.

jevons
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
It's a discussion of a book which has come up several times, the Jesus thing is a straight rumour mill production.
Lucifer, not Satan.
Thanks for coming out.

O.G.T.92
03-02-2007, 10:18 PM
My opinion of Jambi is it's about his mommy. The first half he's talking to her and the second half she's talking to him. The solo separates the dialogue. I like to think the talk box itself is kind of a reference to them "talking". Along with the "breathe in union" line. That's what it means to me.