PDA

View Full Version : my humble opinion

hockeyzep
05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
I spent some time thinking about this song,and I may be completely off base form what Maynard intended to convey, but this is my interpretation if anyone cares to listen.

I think this song is about a "would be" Prophet, who has experienced this magical moment (hallucination??)where a new diety has visited and advised him that he is the chosen one. The one who will pass along these new ideas of a new religion. A new Jesus for lack of a better term. The man who will launch a new era of spirituality, which will replace the other major religions, much as the current religions have all but replaced ancient, more tribal religious beliefs. But having experinced this in a Hallucination, or altered state, the man cannot recall the specifics of this responsibility(refferring to state induced learning in which if you learn something while in a specific state of mind, be it drunk, stoned, whatever, you will lose the meaning while in other states of mind)-When the man comes to, He realizes that he has "dropped the ball" or "shit the bed"...This causes the man to realize the importance of his error and he goes into a caotatonic like state, where he cannot explain to anyone, or to himself how he managed to screw this ulitmate responsibility up and how he has cost mankind, as a whole, to miss out on this spiritual evolution...Himself shouldering all of the blame...This would bring us to Lost Keys(Blame Hoffman) where the man is in the hospital, not knowing where else to turn to attempt to relieve this guilt weighing on him. He cannot explain the problem, or what is wrong w/ him...he is speachless and lost

Anyways, this may be utterly rediculous or whatever, but this is how I interperted this song and fugured I would share my opinion--Thanks for listinen'

pairaballs
05-25-2006, 02:12 AM
LOL uhh... NO SH*T? u just pretty much added your own words to exactly wut maynard wrote and take credit for "finding the meaning" dunno just seems funny to me.

Carbonatedgravy
05-25-2006, 02:36 AM
I much prefer to take "shit the bed" literally. I'm not saying I'm right, but it's so much more fun that way. The interpretation as a whole isn't crazy at all, but I think even the basic story runs a bit deeper than that. The hallucination basically brought to light subconscious beliefs in the protagonist that he was some kind of a special chosen person, when perhaps in reality thinking oneself is special is just part of the collective unconscious.

Anyway, dude gets his shot anyway. His mind is opened up to a new perspective and he has seemingly reached the potential that we all strive for. He has crossed the border into the unknown and has learned a great many new things about himself and about humanity as a singular being. But the high wears off, he just remembers bits and pieces... one way or another he blew it. He's a metaphor for the average person. We all have all this great potential and we just squander it every day.

And it's also about how Maynard is just some guy with a few good ideas and it's silly for fans to worship him like a God.

swedishpizza
05-25-2006, 02:45 AM
I much prefer to take "shit the bed" literally. I'm not saying I'm right, but it's so much more fun that way. The interpretation as a whole isn't crazy at all, but I think even the basic story runs a bit deeper than that. The hallucination basically brought to light subconscious beliefs in the protagonist that he was some kind of a special chosen person, when perhaps in reality thinking oneself is special is just part of the collective unconscious.

Anyway, dude gets his shot anyway. His mind is opened up to a new perspective and he has seemingly reached the potential that we all strive for. He has crossed the border into the unknown and has learned a great many new things about himself and about humanity as a singular being. But the high wears off, he just remembers bits and pieces... one way or another he blew it. He's a metaphor for the average person. We all have all this great potential and we just squander it every day.

And it's also about how Maynard is just some guy with a few good ideas and it's silly for fans to worship him like a God.

I almost 100 percent agree with this.