PDA

View Full Version : chains?

smeefsmeef
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Does this sound like slaves in chains marching while chanting to anyone else? and the last scream is a forced scream of a tortured slave?

rogerdoger
05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
...Interesting idea...

rogerdoger
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Maybe it could have to do with the long march of the Indians or sumthin.

murph.vienna
05-24-2006, 04:26 AM
As I went through a mall yesterday I saw some hare-krishna-guys singing.

The "chains" as you name it, are wooden necklaces which are worn by monks when meditating and praying. the tibetian monks have chants which are very similar. While chanting, the necklace is used as rhythmic instrument.

blackandwhite
05-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Its just those morraca (sp?) like things they use in chants,

rogerdoger
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
As I went through a mall yesterday I saw some hare-krishna-guys singing.

The "chains" as you name it, are wooden necklaces which are worn by monks when meditating and praying. the tibetian monks have chants which are very similar. While chanting, the necklace is used as rhythmic instrument.
It's a Native American chant though, not Tibetan Monks... I don't think they're chains though, just an interesting theory.

murph.vienna
05-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I thought more of the utilisation, not about the vocal-part of the chant.

malingo
05-26-2006, 06:37 AM
Well actually, being 2/3's Native American, when "us" "English" Americans started colonizing "America", a lot of Native Americans were chained and made slaves, killed, raped, and beaten. And to the song you hear the indian singing, obviously is a song of mourning. So I think ya'll are all correct to a point.

davelisowski
05-26-2006, 08:12 AM
To say it's a song of mourning is only because Western civilization has grown to associate certain key signatures (minor ones) with that feeling. In other cultures, key signatures that may sound mournful or depressing, can, in fact, be ones of joy and happiness.

Then again, it was a song created by a "Western" band, in a "Western" country, with mostly "Western" listeners. But it could also be based on an actual song, or song style that does not include the Western cannon.

BigTool
06-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Does this sound like slaves in chains marching while chanting to anyone else? and the last scream is a forced scream of a tortured slave?

Those are not chains. They are ceremonial Native American bells. A ring of deer leather has about 5 bells sewn to it with sinew and played by shaking.

AMF
06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
To say it's a song of mourning is only because Western civilization has grown to associate certain key signatures (minor ones) with that feeling. In other cultures, key signatures that may sound mournful or depressing, can, in fact, be ones of joy and happiness.

Then again, it was a song created by a "Western" band, in a "Western" country, with mostly "Western" listeners. But it could also be based on an actual song, or song style that does not include the Western cannon.

VERY interesting. Cool stuff.

Terry21
06-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Percussion.