PDA

View Full Version : Eyehole deep, Katrina; Raised the Dead, 9/11

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
"Eyehole deep in muddy water,
you practically raised the dead."

Does anybody else think that this means that while Bush was slow to enact proper Katrina relief (if he ever did at all), he was still trumpeting the cause of anti-terror? You know, maybe it is refering to the fact that the Bush administration likes to hide behind the 3,000 Americans- killed by the "terr'ists-" rather than face a current reality that makes it look bad (or implicates it criminally).

smeefsmeef
05-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Eyehole? maybe it's the eye of the hurricane... yeah... um... metaphorically or something

swampyfool
05-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Eyehole? maybe it's the eye of the hurricane... yeah... um... metaphorically or something
I was using "eyehole" more in the sense of "eyehole deep-" refering to the denizens of New Orleans as their city remained flooded for weeks after the storm surge.

Choice Breath
05-22-2006, 07:29 AM

Does anybody else think that this means that while Bush was slow to enact proper Katrina relief (if he ever did at all), he was still trumpeting the cause of anti-terror? You know, maybe it is refering to the fact that the Bush administration likes to hide behind the 3,000 Americans- killed by the "terr'ists-" rather than face a current reality that makes it look bad (or implicates it criminally).

As a victim of Katrina, and a direct beneficiary of considerable (and speedy I might add) Federal aid, I thought I'd give you the opportunity to avail yourself of some facts:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/earth/2315076.html?page=2&c=y

I would encourage you to not simply believe the mainstream media, as you have apparently done in this particular instance, and investigate matters for yourself. I could tell you stories of rescues and assistance that saved friends' lives and assistance that helped re-start lives; personal stories, that you won't hear in the mainstream because it isn't how they want to portray the story. It wouldn't sell as much. You can bet that the mainstream media knows that the message of Vicarious is true and they program accordingly. The real story wouldn't satisfy the junkie/zombie in Vicarious. I am living proof that the mainstream media hyped it up and lied.

swampyfool
05-22-2006, 08:20 AM
As a victim of Katrina, and a direct beneficiary of considerable (and speedy I might add) Federal aid, I thought I'd give you the opportunity to avail yourself of some facts:

I would encourage you to not simply believe the mainstream media, as you have apparently done in this particular instance, and investigate matters for yourself. I could tell you stories of rescues and assistance that saved friends' lives and assistance that helped re-start lives; personal stories, that you won't hear in the mainstream because it isn't how they want to portray the story. It wouldn't sell as much. You can bet that the mainstream media knows that the message of Vicarious is true and they program accordingly. The real story wouldn't satisfy the junkie/zombie in Vicarious. I am living proof that the mainstream media hyped it up and lied.

Yeah, and I've got a buddy who lived in the 9th ward. He was stuck on the roof of his house for over a week before he finally broke pieces of that roof apart with his bare hands and built a raft out of it. He spent the next few days hand-paddling around the disgustingly polluted water (think about it- New Orleans and the surrounding areas house battery factories, oil refineries, and the Tulane biochemistry lab- one of three labs in the United States that is licensed to house and research the bubonic plague, among other foul, human-engineered, biological atrocities). He "looted" a store in the area- oh wait a minute, he's white, so I guess he just "found" that shit- and passed out food, water, medicine and supplies to dozens, if not hundreds, of other stranded survivors. Then he paddled himself to higher ground where the flood waters were receding. There, he was held at gunpoint and treated like a criminal by the National Guard before they finally realized that they should be rescuing him instead of persecuting him- I guess his whiteness may have been a factor there, too. And you know what? I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN HIS INTERVIEW WITH BARBARA FUCKING WALTERS YET!!!

Look, I don't care how many of your friends were sipping Daiquiris in the French Quarter or baring their titties on Bourbon Street while the poorer areas of the city were starving, drowning, or dying due to a lack of medical attention. I know people who lived by the skin of their fucking teeth, and no amount of revisionist history is going to change that. Bottom Line: THERE IS NO WAY THAT THINGS LIKE THIS SHOULD HAPPEN IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I'm not saying that it should happen elsewhere, but we are supposed to have the resources to step in and take control quickly, here. In other disasters, FEMA has acted quickly and well. When the Mississippi was flooding in the 90's, they were smart enough to realize that they could use help from civilian volunteers. Those volunteers threw down most of the sandbags that helped buy extra time for the flood waters to recede. In New Orleans, we saw a different FEMA. We saw a FEMA director participate in email chains (over 250 messages) wondering about where the nearest Ruth's Criss Steakhouse was, what should he wear and how should he comport his body language in order to appear concerned . . . APPEAR??!!?!??! Who needs to appear concerned when hundreds, if not thousands, are stranded in compromised structures without access to food or water? We saw dozens of instances wherein convoys full of trucks stocked with relief materials were denied access to the city. People were traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles to lend aid to the people of New Orleans and were told to go home. It's almost like they didn't want civilian interference in their live training exercise on how to handle a beleagured population in a decimated urban area . . .

I realize that I am ranting here, but I am so sick of this minimize the accountability crap. I am glad that you and your friends were able to get out safely and found it easy to take advantage of what little aid was available, but you have GOT to realize that you were in the minority. Our government did little to protect, little to save, and continues to do little in the aftermath. New Orleans is now the home of a majority land owner. I don't remember his name and I don't have time to do the research right now, but look it up. One guy owns the majority of commercial and residential property within the city. Poor people could not afford to hold on to their properties, and were forced to sell. That city is going to be the next Vegas- I know it already was a tourist economy to begin with, but now its going to be a full-blown resort economy. The government had a duty to act to protect these home-owners, maybe by freezing their mortgage payments until they were able to return to the city and continue working. Instead, the snail's pace of clean up and rebuilding, along with the pipe dream that a $2000 debit card would stem the tide for people who had to worry about paying for food, shelter, medicine . . . et al, seems to have been implemented to facilitate the land grab that has swept through the vacuum that was New Orleans.

Still ranting . . . I guess I'll quit before I say something that will get me banned.

xineax
05-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Well said. I know "I lived Vicariously" when I donated money because I was inspired to by the images of tons of people suffering in the un-airconditioned dome or dying on bridges and rooftops.

But oh, well...it sure didn't seem like people weren't suffering in those images. And it sure looked like Bush (who, poor guy, had to cut his month-long vacation short) was twiddling his fucking thumbs throughout the whole affair. Smug fucker, IMO. Can't take care of his own, but is sure able to kill others. Yes, the MSM can distort things, but when you have fucking FOX NEWS REPORTERS CRYING over the fact that the Bush government failed, then you know something definitely went wrong.

I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN HIS INTERVIEW WITH BARBARA FUCKING WALTERS YET!!!

lol

Choice Breath
05-22-2006, 09:02 AM
What was your friend's name who lived in the 9th Ward, I know a lot of people there? None of my friends were in the Quarter drinking, they were too busy salvaging their lives and reconnecting with friends and relatives. I don't believe you about your friend. If he had been trapped on his roof for that long he would have needed medical attention, unless he happened to have a over week's supply of water and food on that roof, along with some sun-block. Come on. You are ranting, and raving, take a deep breath and get a reality check. I am only speaking from personal experience and from the experience of others who were rescued and given aid. That's a fact. One friend, whose husband was stupid enough to try to ride out the storm in New Orleans East despite being on kidney dialysis, was reunited with her husband within three days by the same people you now vilify. Explain that. You can't. I was there, you were not. The life I knew is gone, never to return. Don't tell me about it. Did you bother to read that article I cited? If you would, it clearly de-bunks the myths you're perpetuating. I'll acknowledge that some people had different experiences than I, but not one person had worse than people I personally know and love. One idiot I knew, who lived in Chalmette, decided to try and ride it out with his elderly mother, rather than evacuate which he easily could have done. He's dead and so is she. You can't argue with personal experience. I sincerely hope you'll look a little deeper into it.

swampyfool
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Revisionist history.

Choice Breath
05-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Revisionist history.

What's your authority for saying so?

xineax
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
No offense against your ordeal. I really sympathize with your situation. But wow Choice Breath you're so compassionate with regards to those "idiots."

Did you ever think that perhaps since you were picking up the pieces of your life, you didn't have the luxury that we have of a massive amount of information coming from New Orleans...maybe that your pocket of information is somewhat limited by your proximity and entanglement with the situation?

For instance, did you know that the DHS director's cousin wrote the article you mentioned?
--EDIT--wrong link--
EDIT: right link: http://www.freedomisforeverybody.org/debunkPopMech4.php

I know, this may be partisan, but perhaps so is the Popular Mechanics story--not really "hard hitting journalism" is it?

xineax
05-22-2006, 09:42 AM
more propaganda for yours http://crimesofthestate.blogspot.com/2005/10/butcher-of-new-orleans.html

koobcam
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
isn't it still widely accepted that katrina was a huge f***-up? I mean, it made George Bush look even more stupid. Bloody cowboy.

Choice Breath
05-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I had to leave New Orleans. I couldn't go back if I wanted to. I don't have sympathy for people who could have evacuated, but chose not to. That IS idiotic. If you see a category five hurricane headed directly for your city, and everyone tells you to evacuate, and everyone else who can is evacuating, and you don't, you have to accept the consequences. I feel differently about those who could not. Of course, the city and its people are the mayor's responsibility, the state is the governor's.

A lot of things that are "widely accepted", or once were, are not true. The world ain't flat. The earth is not the center of the universe. I mean, are you Catholic. Why not, it's a widely accepted religion. How about Muslim?

I accept the fact that some people, who weren't there, have opinions on the matter from which they will not be swayed, even by experience over supposed "hard-hitting" journalism. I can only go on what I personally experienced, and am still experiencing, and what dozens of friends and family experienced, all over the city and suburbs. I will continue to rely on first hand experience over reports.

If you prefer to believe the media, that is your choice. I completely respect your right to do so and to believe what you believe. Thank you for giving me the benefit of your time, words, and constuctively communicated criticism. It is a benefit to this board.

One question: If you believe the lyrics in Vicarious are accurate, do you think the media, including but not limited to the news media, play up to that? If not, why not? What about Rupert Murdoch?

xineax
05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
"hard-hitting" journalism.
I actually was referring to your Popular Mechanics article. Sorry, but I just find it to be covert propaganda written by the cousin of the man who bungled many of the rescue efforts. That's nepotism at its worst.

One question: If you believe the lyrics in Vicarious are accurate, do you think the media, including but not limited to the news media, play up to that? If not, why not? What about Rupert Murdoch?

I appreciate this viewpoint, yes.

From what the dome looked like, there were at least 20k people who couldn't evacuate in time. I'd imagine there are a lot of those people that are poor that don't have cars, couldn't find their way to the buses. I try to cultivate blind compassion. So if someone is genuinely an idiot (as in objective evaluation as possible), then they obviously met circumstances where they just couldn't make such a decision. Also, there are numerous reports that the National Guard was indeed overtaxed because of the deployments to Iraq. That is the failure of the Federal Government.

On my part, it's not making excuses, reality has enough obstacles to stumble us all. Yes, one does have responsibilities with their choices, but IMHO part of the division this album talks about is the fact that not enough of us care about each other in these times. Katrina has expemplary cases of the little guy either beating up on his brother or helping in enormous ways--it is a mixed bag. But to be derisive of someone and dismiss them as an idiot sorta comes up short. Just my opinion is all.

evilprimeval
05-22-2006, 12:27 PM

That's what I've thought it refers to, the Government looking past the situations here to further their agenda, focus their attentions elsewhere (and using the tragedy of 9/11 to do so, hence the "weeping shades of chosen indigo")...

swampyfool
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Of course, the city and its people are the mayor's responsibility, the state is the governor's.
Oh come on. In a tragedy of this magnitude, the American President is responsible for the American people. Karina did major damage to three states and dozens of cities. If a criminal has a track record like that, they call in the FBI, when a hurricane has that record, you are supposed to call FEMA. In fact, if a hurricane touches the U.S. at all, you call FEMA.

A lot of things that are "widely accepted", or once were, are not true. The world ain't flat. The earth is not the center of the universe. I mean, are you Catholic. Why not, it's a widely accepted religion. How about Muslim?
True, many falsehoods have been propagated throughout history. However, as our perspectives advance, we become more qualified to properly estimate the situation. I agree that the media plays to the need for tragedy, but if you don't take what they say at face value, you can still get a pretty good grip on the situation. For example, when we see bodies in the streets of the city more than two weeks after the worst of the danger has passed, I don't need to listen to a word of the overlaid fluff to know that there has been a fundamental breakdown in the system that is supervising the effort.

mulhollanddriven
05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
I had to leave New Orleans. I couldn't go back if I wanted to. I don't have sympathy for people who could have evacuated, but chose not to. That IS idiotic. If you see a category five hurricane headed directly for your city, and everyone tells you to evacuate, and everyone else who can is evacuating, and you don't, you have to accept the consequences. I feel differently about those who could not. Of course, the city and its people are the mayor's responsibility, the state is the governor's.

I accept the fact that some people, who weren't there, have opinions on the matter from which they will not be swayed, even by experience over supposed "hard-hitting" journalism. I can only go on what I personally experienced, and am still experiencing, and what dozens of friends and family experienced, all over the city and suburbs. I will continue to rely on first hand experience over reports.

If you prefer to believe the media, that is your choice. I completely respect your right to do so and to believe what you believe. Thank you for giving me the benefit of your time, words, and constuctively communicated criticism. It is a benefit to this board.

Spoken like someone who has no idea what abject poverty does to a person.

mulhollanddriven
05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
The 900 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about in relation to Katrina is Iraq. Bush spread the military so thin that they weren't around to pluck people off the roof in our own country when disaster struck.

I think Bush should give the presidency to someone who actually cares about America and he should go live and run for office in Iraq.

swampyfool
05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
That's what I've thought it refers to, the Government looking past the situations here to further their agenda, focus their attentions elsewhere (and using the tragedy of 9/11 to do so, hence the "weeping shades of chosen indigo")...
First of all, allow me to thank you for bringing this thread back on point.

Second, allow me to say that I think you've made a wonderful deduction and connection. I'd not been able to put my thumb on the "chosen indigo" lyric, but now I'm thinking that it refers to the act of choosing which tragedies are worthy of our patriotic tears. Excellent.

swampyfool
05-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I think Bush should give the presidency to someone who actually cares about America and he should go live and run for office in Iraq.
I agree, but who? It's not like Bill Clinton survived the Oval Office without becoming a corporate puppet; not likely that it would've been any different for either Al Gore or John Kerry. We may not have been in the same wars, but we would still be making assholes of ourselves in the Middle East on the whim of the Billionaire's Club. It's time for us to stop blaming the government. We are the ones who volunterr to participate in the corporate nonsense that pays the bills for writing the bills.

And when we we say we might fade like sighs if they stay
They minimize our movement anyway
We must persuade them another way:

Remind them we'll always love them
As we claw their fucking throats away
THIS WILL END NO OTHER WAY!

mike09
05-22-2006, 04:40 PM

Second, allow me to say that I think you've made a wonderful deduction and connection. I'd not been able to put my thumb on the "chosen indigo" lyric, but now I'm thinking that it refers to the act of choosing which tragedies are worthy of our patriotic tears. Excellent.

But why indigo? Indigo is like a shade of purple. If it was red, then it would make more sense to me because the red would represent blood and it's like choosing which tragedy of deaths to show or talk about. You know what I'm sayin'?

Choice Breath
05-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, I guess you guys are right. I must be delusional. I suppose I didn't experience what I experienced. I didn't receive the help I received. The people who were rescued by the Federal Government and whose lives were saved actually are dead now. My friend who chose to stay in the face of that hurricane and constant warnings, and died along with his elderly mom, wasn't an idiot, he was a voluntary victim. (by the way, he was an idiot before all of this too). I am so out of touch with reality. Although I was born and raised in New Orleans, I suppose I don't know anything about it, don't know people who were actually affected, huh? Please tell me more about my life and my city that I apparently don't know. I suppose your vicarious experience of this tragedy outweighs my personal experience and the personal experiences of my friends, family, and community. I would prefer not to respond with such sarcasm, but you just don't know anything but what you've seen on television. The single worst natural disaster in U.S. history. How many were rescued and how fast?

It was the mayor's job to take care of people BEFORE the tragedy occurred. He could have, but he went and got loaded instead. He was partying in Dallas while the city flooded. FEMA offered to go in BEFORE the hurricane hit, but Governor Blanco said "No that's okay, we have it under control." Ever heard of state sovereignty? Did these Louisiana state and New Orleans city officials do their part? Ever wonder why the city flooded anyway?

Clearly, those who blame the government are viewing this as a political argument. You have chosen a side and it is unlikely you will be swayed. I won't waste time with that.

So, having said that, I think you may be right that this is what Maynard is referring to in the line you cite.

evilprimeval
05-22-2006, 05:39 PM
The 900 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about in relation to Katrina is Iraq. Bush spread the military so thin that they weren't around to pluck people off the roof in our own country when disaster struck.

That's exactly what I think, what my point has been, and what I feel is part of what the song's addressing... not so much a literal lack of resources (people, money) to help with a situation here but a completely insufficient preparation for something like this at home. The US Government is in it for money/power and the boys are out securing their interests where gain is to be had.

But why indigo? Indigo is like a shade of purple. If it was red, then it would make more sense to me because the red would represent blood and it's like choosing which tragedy of deaths to show or talk about. You know what I'm sayin'?
The specific choice of "indigo" might have specific implications as some have pointed out very well in these forums, but the "weeping chosen shades of indigo" refers to showman's tears, theatrics, a false facade of sadness behind which to justify the actions that the US undertakes "in response" to the tragedies, backed by a nation of now perfectly-fearful citizens.

swampyfool
05-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Actually, indigo is more of a deep blue than a purple (to my knowledge). That's why I drew allegory to patriotism- indigo being the most poetic representation of red, white or blue. I know that the Grateful Dead have a lyric in their song "Standing on the Moon," that says, "Old Glory standing stiffly, crimson, white and indigo . . ." Maybe that's where I make the connection beweetn "weeping shades of chosen indigo," and the act of picking and choosing your patriotic outlest.

evilprimeval
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM

Thank you for providing a point to bring it back to.
I'm getting frustrated, I must admit, seems that a lot of this is running in circles.
Don't know if you've seen this link or not, someone posted it in another thread, but it relates to the "pissed all over my Black Kettle" line (and the song/album as a whole) and draws a very nice connection to the current situation and to this country's history of violent gain and control.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dawise/bkettle.htm

swampyfool
05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Thank you for providing a point to bring it back to.
I'm getting frustrated, I must admit, seems that a lot of this is running in circles.
Don't know if you've seen this link or not, someone posted it in another thread, but it relates to the "pissed all over my Black Kettle" line (and the song/album as a whole) and draws a very nice connection to the current situation and to this country's history of violent gain and control.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dawise/bkettle.htm
That's a really interesting, really depressing and wholly unsatisfying story. I think that the connection between Chief Black Kettle and "pissed all over my black kettle" is incidental, though it would work within the context and fit within the theme of the song.

But I don't know, this Chief Black Kettle guy seems like douchebag. Either he was stupid and lucky, or he was setting everybody up and this bit about how he "miraculously escaped harm at the Sand Creek Massacre . . ." is a load of bullshit. Seems like the author of that piece has a stiffy for the guy, though. My point about how it relates to the lyrics is that unless Maynard knows more about Black Kettle than this piece reveals, I don't think he would necessarily waste his breath eulogizing this Uncle Tom-Douchebag. But, then again, maybe the potential for duplicities like this is part of the reason that they chose the theme of "the pot calling the kettle black." Who knows?

evilprimeval
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
That's a really interesting, really depressing and wholly unsatisfying story. I think that the connection between Chief Black Kettle and "pissed all over my black kettle" is incidental, though it would work within the context and fit within the theme of the song.

But I don't know, this Chief Black Kettle guy seems like douchebag. Either he was stupid and lucky, or he was setting everybody up and this bit about how he "miraculously escaped harm at the Sand Creek Massacre . . ." is a load of bullshit. Seems like the author of that piece has a stiffy for the guy, though. My point about how it relates to the lyrics is that unless Maynard knows more about Black Kettle than this piece reveals, I don't think he would necessarily waste his breath eulogizing this Uncle Tom-Douchebag. But, then again, maybe the potential for duplicities like this is part of the reason that they chose the theme of "the pot calling the kettle black." Who knows?
HA! Well-put.
Incindental, perhaps, but it goes right with the Lipan Conjuring chant and Maynard's war Mohican, "monkeys killing monkeys over pieces of the ground", etc. so I think it's worth contemplating.
It could very well be part of a duplicity which is what makes so many of these "obvious lyrics" interesting. I could see them throwing that reference in there. They've often just touched on topics without really explaining or going too far into them... maybe so that we all Google it and learn a little bit.

swampyfool
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
HA! Well-put.
Incindental, perhaps, but it goes right with the Lipan Conjuring chant and Maynard's war Mohican, "monkeys killing monkeys over pieces of the ground", etc. so I think it's worth contemplating.
It could very well be part of a duplicity which is what makes so many of these "obvious lyrics" interesting. I could see them throwing that reference in there. They've often just touched on topics without really explaining or going too far into them... maybe so that we all Google it and learn a little bit.
Well-put right back at you!

CaseLogic
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Worst thread ever

evilprimeval
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Worst thread ever
I don't know, I think we're at least making some points here (between some of the nonsense) and trading ideas.
The "worst thread ever" would consist of some topic that's been done to death or perhaps something that throws its focus in a useless, juvenile direction.
Let's see...
Maybe something like this:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=42373
That one really took off.

LEARN.2.SWiM
05-24-2006, 09:25 AM

i think eye hole deep in muddy waters mean that the muddy water is up to your eyes...

later he says eyeball deep...

i dunno if people got that but we are thinking too much of that line...

Crucify the Ego
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Revisionist history.

I don't trust popular mechanics at all. They're the same magazine that hired a person with no prior journalism experience (who is related to people in the CIA and the Department of Homeland Security) to write their cover story debunk article on how explosives were involved in 9/11. It was full of falsehoods and half-truths, just like the 9/11 commission itself.
"Who controls the past now, controls the future"
"Who controls the present now, controls the past"
"who controls the present now?"
George Orwell "1984"

Revisionist History indeed

angelbugs
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
evilprimeval and SuccessfullyPriedOpen, i really enjoyed and agree with your comments and views so far on this. i posted the following in different thread, thought i'd put here also...

[copied this from the wikipedia page on 10,000 Days:

In the previously-mentioned Guitar World interview, Jones confirmed that the title of "The Pot" was a reference to an idiomatic term for hypocrisy (i.e., the "pot calling the kettle black").

here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%2C000_days

to me, this song is about the hypocrisy of not only bush but of the u.s. as a whole.

the line "eyeballs deep in muddy water" seems to reference how we are so dependant on oil and our excessive lifestyles that it obscures our ability to see the truth and reality of things quite a bit. it could also bias our decisions on what we do or let happen.
"kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent" could be about how the bush administration used 9/11(the innocent victims) to scare, trick, pursuade, rouse up, and/or justify going to war with iraq. that goes along with "weeping tears of chosen indago, got lemon juice up in your eye". like politicians so often do, they made themselves look so sympathetic over the 9/11 tragedy to suck people in.
"you must have been high"...our society is so high on excess and desire and keeping our "rightly" high place in the world that we went along with it all.
overall, i think it's about how hypocritical our sociecty is. who are we to point our fingers at anyone when we're far from perfect ourselves.
one last thing...i've seen a lot of articles from the left wing perspective that point to incidences that either the u.s. had been directly involved in, or had at least a part to play, they say implicates the u.s. as terrorists. so in that light, who are we to call others fighting for what they believe in terrorists?

well, just some thoughts on it anyway.]

i think your view on the "weeping chosen shades of indigo" piece is really fitting.
thanks

evilprimeval
05-24-2006, 01:52 PM
evilprimeval and SuccessfullyPriedOpen, i really enjoyed and agree with your comments and views so far on this. i posted the following in different thread, thought i'd put here also...

[copied this from the wikipedia page on 10,000 Days:

In the previously-mentioned Guitar World interview, Jones confirmed that the title of "The Pot" was a reference to an idiomatic term for hypocrisy (i.e., the "pot calling the kettle black").

here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%2C000_days

to me, this song is about the hypocrisy of not only bush but of the u.s. as a whole.

the line "eyeballs deep in muddy water" seems to reference how we are so dependant on oil and our excessive lifestyles that it obscures our ability to see the truth and reality of things quite a bit. it could also bias our decisions on what we do or let happen.
"kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent" could be about how the bush administration used 9/11(the innocent victims) to scare, trick, pursuade, rouse up, and/or justify going to war with iraq. that goes along with "weeping tears of chosen indago, got lemon juice up in your eye". like politicians so often do, they made themselves look so sympathetic over the 9/11 tragedy to suck people in.
"you must have been high"...our society is so high on excess and desire and keeping our "rightly" high place in the world that we went along with it all.
overall, i think it's about how hypocritical our sociecty is. who are we to point our fingers at anyone when we're far from perfect ourselves.
one last thing...i've seen a lot of articles from the left wing perspective that point to incidences that either the u.s. had been directly involved in, or had at least a part to play, they say implicates the u.s. as terrorists. so in that light, who are we to call others fighting for what they believe in terrorists?

well, just some thoughts on it anyway.]

i think your view on the "weeping chosen shades of indigo" piece is really fitting.
thanks
Thanks for the comments and for your additions and attempts at clarification.
Good breakdown.
When you put it all together it's really hard to imagine it as being about anything else, isn't it?
I still think that the "muddy waters" bit has more to do with the flooding here (as it literally places us deep in the muck, looking with filmed-over eyes past our own tribulations to US interests in foreign lands) but the potential for multiple implications, again, is what makes the lyrics interesting.