PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound

jaysis
05-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Between 3:25 and 3:26, right after Maynard says, "Rising up and wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye," there is this warbly noise, that almost reminds me of the sound an instant messenger might make when you receive a message. I dunno, this sound has always bothered me. Well, not *bothered* per se... more like intrigued. Does anyone have any possible insight as to what the sound might be? As a guitarist I'd say it's 100% possible it could just be Adam playing with effects, but perhaps it's more!

Jon08
05-22-2006, 04:53 PM
i also recently noticed a strange noise around 7:55, right after the first "so good to see you." anyone know what that is either? i don't know how i missed it after years...

trey5winds
05-30-2006, 07:40 PM
To jaysis - I could be wrong on this, but I think the "warbly" noise you're referring to might either be a sample or a preset on an old analogue keyboard, something like a mellotron or a moog synthesiser. I don't know this for sure, but I've heard older keyboards like this produce similar sounds in similar tones, though not exactly the same notes.

Or, it could simply be a digital sample of either of the above, or something else entirely. Funny enough, it reminds me of a bird-like noise, like some kind of avian call that's been recorded, processed, treated, sampled and then added to the track.

It's the best I can do, but the fact that they use old analogue synthesisers from time to time is the only thing that supports this theory - not much to stand on, though; this is Tool after all - it could be anything. But that's how I hear it.

And Jon08, I've tried listening to the aforementioned area your post detailed, but all I can think of it being is where the fingers happen to accidentally move down the guitar without producing a direct note, like it was muted. The section you mention comes in around 7:15 on my counter on the studio verstion of the song. Is this the area you were referring to?

Anyhow, that's all I can get out of them. I hope this helps. If you find out they're anything different, please post what you find.

Thanks, and I hope you're both well.

Respectfully,
trey5winds

Jon08
06-06-2006, 05:01 PM
To jaysis - I could be wrong on this, but I think the "warbly" noise you're referring to might either be a sample or a preset on an old analogue keyboard, something like a mellotron or a moog synthesiser. I don't know this for sure, but I've heard older keyboards like this produce similar sounds in similar tones, though not exactly the same notes.

Or, it could simply be a digital sample of either of the above, or something else entirely. Funny enough, it reminds me of a bird-like noise, like some kind of avian call that's been recorded, processed, treated, sampled and then added to the track.

It's the best I can do, but the fact that they use old analogue synthesisers from time to time is the only thing that supports this theory - not much to stand on, though; this is Tool after all - it could be anything. But that's how I hear it.

And Jon08, I've tried listening to the aforementioned area your post detailed, but all I can think of it being is where the fingers happen to accidentally move down the guitar without producing a direct note, like it was muted. The section you mention comes in around 7:15 on my counter on the studio verstion of the song. Is this the area you were referring to?

Anyhow, that's all I can get out of them. I hope this helps. If you find out they're anything different, please post what you find.

Thanks, and I hope you're both well.

Respectfully,
trey5winds

thank you for looking into it trey5winds. i checked the timing again, and it happens right at 7:51. it sounds like a voice sample with some wierd effects that's sped up 2X. just happens for a second. it almost sounds like a cat actually... but not really.