PDA

View Full Version : EBA= end of The Grudge

savelints8
05-20-2006, 11:37 PM
EBA sounds to me like the end of The Grudge, like everything is calming down.

justfar1086
05-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Thats fucking crazy, I just had that thought earlier today. But more than that, i realized Tool's absolute brilliance (yet again!) because it serves not only as the end of the grudge, but as the begining of the patient. EBA is crucial to the early flow of lateralus.

Koan
05-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Yes, can you imagina The Grudge just ending, one second of silence and then The Patient? It would sound so...standard.

AloneOnceAgain97
05-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Nope. Beginning of The Patient.

stephenbpronovos
05-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Its a transition

Friamannen
05-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Its a transition
Sure is, and a great one at that :)

MrMcPheezy
05-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I've always thought of the grudge, eon blue apocalypse, and the patient as three movements of one piece.

Friamannen
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
I've always thought of the grudge, eon blue apocalypse, and the patient as three movements of one piece.

Grudge is one separate piece for me. The pause between The Grudge and EBA is too long to be counted as a "smooth" transition between The Grudge and The Patient, so I don't feel any connection there.
EBA just sets the mood for The Patient in a great way.

lemonlateralus
05-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I agree, to me it is merely a perfect transition.

one_reflection
05-27-2006, 04:07 AM
i dont know if its just me, but when i have listened to this, i have heard little, if nothing here. Possible shitty speakers i guess.

Oops. Edit. Maybe i just have to be patient and listen til the end...rather than skipping cos i think theres nothing there :|

fugitive538
05-29-2006, 03:32 AM
i dont know if its just me, but when i have listened to this, i have heard little, if nothing here. Possible shitty speakers i guess.

Oops. Edit. Maybe i just have to be patient and listen til the end...rather than skipping cos i think theres nothing there :|

well, well, one_reflection, its not the way you should listen to Tool :-))
Everything is done on purpose. If we dont find it at first, then we'll find out later:-)

flyingsoot
05-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Best-transition-EVER!!

champion
05-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Each track is a continuation of the last. This is a concept album, in a sense.

AloneOnceAgain97
05-31-2006, 05:00 PM
If I'm going to listen to "The Patient", I'm going to listen to "Eon Blue Apocolypse" before... It just goes so well... Like lamb and tuna fish.

justify_denials
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Nope. Beginning of The Patient.
Actually, that is true. The very last note of "EBA" can actually be heard at the beginning of "The patient" But! None the less "EBA" makes a nice track after The grudge, so to me EBA is not only the intro to The patient but also the bridge between the grudge and the patient/ Its perfect/

savelints8
05-31-2006, 09:39 PM
It's all one piece, these first three songs. The Grudge ends in a massive flurry of music (beginning from Maynard screaming "let go"), and EBA is like looking at the aftermath. You let go, now here's what is left.

EBA sounds very barren to me, like nothing is left after this massive flurry that ends The Grudge. The Patient is like trying to cope with what has just happened.

one_reflection
05-31-2006, 11:42 PM
well, well, one_reflection, its not the way you should listen to Tool :-))
Everything is done on purpose. If we dont find it at first, then we'll find out later:-)

Apologies, I have learned my lesson...fixed speakers also, much improvement =p

Janos
06-05-2006, 01:26 PM
It's all one piece, these first three songs. The Grudge ends in a massive flurry of music (beginning from Maynard screaming "let go"), and EBA is like looking at the aftermath. You let go, now here's what is left.

EBA sounds very barren to me, like nothing is left after this massive flurry that ends The Grudge. The Patient is like trying to cope with what has just happened.
Excellent approach. I'd also say that EBA is a very toolish track. Anybody inexperienced or uninterested in Tool would think of it as a shitty filler track.

Well, in fact, this is the controversy that makes all of Tool so special.

savelints8
06-05-2006, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Janos]Anybody inexperienced or uninterested in Tool would think of it as a shitty filler track.

QUOTE]
There are no filler tracks when it comes to Tool. Every song, every note is there for a purpose. I don't think Tool put anything in their music for the sole purpose of killing time.

Janos
06-06-2006, 11:37 AM
That's what "anyone" doesn't know.

renegade46n2
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I mostly just like this track since it's the easiest Tool "song" to play on the guitar. I feel so talented afterward.

savelints8
06-06-2006, 09:20 PM
And that's why "anyone" is stupid, Janos. :)

Janos
06-07-2006, 05:08 AM
;-)

Lysanderdarkstar
06-08-2006, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Janos]Anybody inexperienced or uninterested in Tool would think of it as a shitty filler track.

QUOTE]
There are no filler tracks when it comes to Tool. Every song, every note is there for a purpose. I don't think Tool put anything in their music for the sole purpose of killing time.
that's because tool doesn't need to have filler songs due to their 7 minute and up songs. filler songs are for those who don't have time to finish their albums due to pressure ect ect... you see now you got me started rambleing odds are i may never stop..... Carry on theirs nothing to read here... :s

P1_PP1_N
06-12-2006, 02:05 AM
There are a lot of transitions that seem to work with songs that dont connect as well...
Parabola into Schism, Schism into Ticks and Leeches...

savelints8
06-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Which leads to the topic of all those alternate track listings.

lighterbandit
06-22-2006, 03:27 AM
i have a theory on this, but some people won't listen. I'm not sure if this is the actual reason for the so-called 'filler tracks,' but it makes a whole lot of sense to me. if you've ever taken hallucinogenics before, you know that the drugs become more and more intense as the song goes on. at the peak of the song where the drums go crazy (you know the parts), the trip soars to another level. Where am I going with this? If a person on LSD were to listen to more than 2 or 3 of the more intense Tool songs in a row without the slow fillers, the persons head would probably fucking explode. and i mean that literally! when those slow ambient tracks finally come on, it feels like coming down from a space ship after a ten year journey.......
I'm sure people will take this the wrong way, but that is my theory. if i'm wrong i'm wrong, but you cannot argue against the facts I stated.

savelints8
06-22-2006, 07:36 AM
I've never tried drugs, but I see where you're coming from. You're saying that EBA is there to, in a sense, calm down the person after the end of The Grudge. Here are some other examples I found:

Parabol after the end of Schism
Parabola's ending (long guitar part)?
Disposition after Lateralus

koobcam
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
yeh, fair enough. I want acid though.

BlanketEffect
06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I've never tried drugs, but I see where you're coming from. You're saying that EBA is there to, in a sense, calm down the person after the end of The Grudge. Here are some other examples I found:

Parabol after the end of Schism
Parabola's ending (long guitar part)?
Disposition after Lateralus

Not to mention the long guitar outro at the end of Reflection that cushions Triad's entry.

Speaking of drugs and listening to Tool - I've always said that I thought Tool knows that people are going to be listening to their music in altered states of consciousness so they intentionally put certain things into their songs to accomodate them. For instance, the long mellow part in the middle of Ticks & Leeches or the incredibly long and somewhat monotonous (amazingly beautiful) beginning of Reflection. Things like that are so easy to get absolutely lost in when you're in a more ego-less place.

Back on topic, though. I do agree that EBA transitions The Grudge to The Patient nicely. However, I think EBA *is* a part of The Patient and bears no real relavence to The Grudge other than being well-placed.

BlanketEffect
06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
But, all in all, the entire album is written in the key of D minor (with the exception of D/R/T being in E minor) so all the songs are, in a way, going to flow together. They're all using the same scale of notes for composition.

lighterbandit
07-04-2006, 03:43 AM
BlanketEffect, i like your examples. You brought up a point about Tool intentionally adding certain things into their music to make it more drug-friendly. I totally agree with this, and i have a great example. When I smoke salvia, argueably the most intense drug known to man, the only music I can have on is Tool. Salvia users will tell you that music scares the shit out of you when you're on it because you lose your ability to perceive time and feel stuck in the music. Tool is the ONLY band that anyone I've met can stand to listen to on salvia without freaking out and running into walls trying to escape from the 'bad trip.' Interesting...

BlanketEffect
07-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Another testament to this is that anyone I've ever introduced to Ayahuasca and DMT that had not heard/paid attention to Tool before absolutely loved them after listening to Lateralus while in the dream.

In deed, once a friend (who had not even heard 'radio' Tool, let alone Lateralus) looked up from the pillow while in the rapture of the dream and just said, "Man, I fucking love Tool" and then put his head back down swept away again.

paqman
07-12-2006, 03:21 AM
Grudge is one separate piece for me. The pause between The Grudge and EBA is too long to be counted as a "smooth" transition between The Grudge and The Patient, so I don't feel any connection there.
EBA just sets the mood for The Patient in a great way.

good call, also in most live versions of the patient i've seen/heard, its normally preceded by eon blue, which wasn't preceded by the grudge.

EBA FTW?!

SpiraMirabilis
07-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Eon Blue Apocalypse can be used as a bridge between any loud ending of a song to any quiet start of a song as long as both songs are in the key of d minor.

Since almost all of Lateralus is in the key of d minor, and almost all the songs start quiet and end loud, EBA can be used many places on the album. However, it works particularly well with The Patient.

nmayhew
07-29-2006, 04:30 PM
fully agreed

nmayhew
07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
BlanketEffect, i like your examples. You brought up a point about Tool intentionally adding certain things into their music to make it more drug-friendly. I totally agree with this, and i have a great example. When I smoke salvia, argueably the most intense drug known to man, the only music I can have on is Tool. Salvia users will tell you that music scares the shit out of you when you're on it because you lose your ability to perceive time and feel stuck in the music. Tool is the ONLY band that anyone I've met can stand to listen to on salvia without freaking out and running into walls trying to escape from the 'bad trip.' Interesting...

Interview with Adam Jones:

There are two song titles on the new album—“The Pot” and “Rosetta Stoned”—that could obviously be interpreted as drug references, even though at least one of them isn’t.

Right—“The Pot” is just short for “The pot calling the kettle black.” “Rosetta Stoned” is kind of a reference to the irresponsible way to try and expand your mind through drugs.

To what extent do you think of Tool as drug music?

I don’t, because I don’t really do drugs. But there’s definitely that aspect in our history—and of course you can’t tell what people are going to do or think. I remember this one girl wrote me a letter going, “I figured out Lateralus—it fits exactly with The Passion of the Christ. It’s really beautiful and I want to thank you for that.” I was like, “OK, great, but that movie came out after we did that record.” It’s just stoner talk, you know? Put the bong down. I appreciate those kinds of theories, but if I smoked enough pot, I could probably listen to anything and swear it links up with some movie. [Laughs] So I guess I can’t really answer that question; it’s up to the individual. But we like to break things down to their most simple elements, and in a subconscious way people pick up on that. Sacred geometry is the study of that: we can relate everything down to a simple formula. We write our songs like that; we produce videos like that, and people get it on a subconscious level even if they don’t realize it.

interview at:

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/features/aug2006/tool.aspx

(self(other
08-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Another testament to this is that anyone I've ever introduced to Ayahuasca and DMT that had not heard/paid attention to Tool before absolutely loved them after listening to Lateralus while in the dream.

In deed, once a friend (who had not even heard 'radio' Tool, let alone Lateralus) looked up from the pillow while in the rapture of the dream and just said, "Man, I fucking love Tool" and then put his head back down swept away again.

lmao yes, when me and my buds were doing DXM one night listening to a mixture of aenima and lateralus tracks... all we could manage after climactic moments were "oh... man.. i just had.." "dude, i know"

ShadowLine
08-09-2006, 06:40 AM
nope not the end, just a pause, putting on hold whilst getting on with something else, whilst in the background every now it surfaces. for me it ends with ticks and leeches.

chris
x