PDA

View Full Version : fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father

astaroth
05-20-2006, 05:33 PM
This has probably already been mentioned, and it is probably of no importance- however, has anyone else noticed that it is a reverse trinity???

"Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father"

as opposed to the traditional christian way which is

"In the name of the father, son and holy spirit?"

just something that i found interesting.

Jon08
05-20-2006, 05:49 PM
actually this is quite insightful. i'll have to think about it alot more, but it was definately intentional. perhaps he's making a statement about the validity of christianity's teachings, just not some of the teachers.

Madrid
05-20-2006, 05:54 PM
You know, it might just be because it sounds less "direct" and just plain better.
Afterall, a person not listening to the entire song - those lyrics stand out anyway. It's a wonderful part in the music/song.

Perhaps the song might have taken on a different "flavor" or "theme" if you will - had the lyrics been in the right order.

rachmiel4
05-20-2006, 06:27 PM
You know, it might just be because it sounds less "direct" and just plain better.
Afterall, a person not listening to the entire song - those lyrics stand out anyway. It's a wonderful part in the music/song.

Perhaps the song might have taken on a different "flavor" or "theme" if you will - had the lyrics been in the right order.

"F-etch me the F-ather, the S-on and the S-pirit" is double alliteration, while the same order of syllables. So it would have worked well, actually.

Black Rabbit
05-20-2006, 06:36 PM
"F-etch me the F-ather, the S-on and the S-pirit" is double alliteration, while the same order of syllables. So it would have worked well, actually. Something about father being the last word... 'ther' has a lot more push than 'rit', and doesn't end on a strong consonant, making it easier to hold for a longer duration.

guitarpete987
05-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Something about father being the last word... 'ther' has a lot more push than 'rit', and doesn't end on a strong consonant, making it easier to hold for a longer duration.

Yeah, from a vocalist's perspective, you're definitely correct. Also, the "fa" followed by "ther" is a lot more musical when you're leading to a lower note on the scale from one to the next. "Spi" to "rit" is a lot more awkward in this case but works much better if you're singing the two syllables as the same note -- which is exactly how it appears in the song. I'm pretty sure this was well thought out. Most of Maynard's lyrics seem well thought out for the notes they are sung with.

blackandwhite
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it's probably not so much to d with Christian teachings as it is how well it flows when the word order is restrutured.

Jon08
05-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, it's probably not so much to d with Christian teachings as it is how well it flows when the word order is restrutured.

i strongly disagree. although I think MJK puts a lot of consideration into the flow of his lyrics, I believe he puts stronger emphasis on meaning. certain parts of this song don't flow perfectly, but their meanings fit.

subtlefury
05-21-2006, 02:28 PM
This has probably already been mentioned, and it is probably of no importance- however, has anyone else noticed that it is a reverse trinity???

"Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father"

as opposed to the traditional christian way which is

"In the name of the father, son and holy spirit?"

just something that i found interesting.

hey that's very interesting, hadn't noticed til you mentioned it

thanks for posting that

PriyanPhoenix
05-22-2006, 07:33 AM
When invoking the Trrinity, Christians usually begin with the Father as the first, most powerful, of the three persons. By reversing the order, we gradually work up to the most powerful which I think is to highlight his feeling that Marie deserves to command the attention of all three, even God the Father. The reversal emphasises this.

eleven_waiting
05-22-2006, 08:02 AM
When invoking the Trrinity, Christians usually begin with the Father as the first, most powerful, of the three persons. By reversing the order, we gradually work up to the most powerful which I think is to highlight his feeling that Marie deserves to command the attention of all three, even God the Father. The reversal emphasises this.

I agree with this attitude...

Fetch me the Holy Trinity, the one they worship has arrived!

Jon08
05-22-2006, 02:15 PM
i've been thinking about this more, and after reading this article: http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=November_2001--Ontarion.html, i have some new thoughts on this. In this article, MJK emphasizes the importance to release ourselves from our ego, and in Catholocism, it is believed that the Holy Spirit is the source of inspiration and love, a sort of liaison between us and God. we are nothing but vessels for this essence, whatever we choose to call it, so I think he is trying to emphasize the importance of this loss of ego by putting the spirit before the son and the father.

happydipshit
05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
hmm well i got another take on that.

"fetch me the spirit the blablablbala etc." <- This is said by his mother like she wants to say gimme whats mine!

like:

"ALL MY LIFE I LIVED AND LOVED THESE LESSONS, JUST LIKE YOU (GOD) WANTED IT FROM ME AND I NEVER HAD ANY DISBELIEF, NOW GIVE ME MY WINGS LET ME UP IN YOUR HOLY GARDEN... BITCH"

"shake your fist" this is a pretty clear evidence for the anger in this line.

you get the point.

Jon08
05-22-2006, 06:30 PM
hmm well i got another take on that.

"fetch me the spirit the blablablbala etc." <- This is said by his mother like she wants to say gimme whats mine!

like:

"ALL MY LIFE I LIVED AND LOVED THESE LESSONS, JUST LIKE YOU (GOD) WANTED IT FROM ME AND I NEVER HAD ANY DISBELIEF, NOW GIVE ME MY WINGS LET ME UP IN YOUR HOLY GARDEN... BITCH"

"shake your fist" this is a pretty clear evidence for the anger in this line.

you get the point.

i think this song is more about his love for his deceased mother. i like my post better. though i understand what you're trying to say.

PriyanPhoenix
05-23-2006, 01:09 AM
I agree. I think it's important to separate the character of Marie from Mayard-as-Marie. Maynard respected Marie's beliefs because she remained firm in them even in the midst of such trials and did not become embittered or angry. I think the fist shaking and "give me what's mine" lines are what Maynard believes his mother deserves for what she went through, rather than what she herself would say.

Mitsu13
05-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Using the term "fetch" in this song, always bothered me. I believe this song is about his mother as well, and the pain she went through for "10,000 days".... I see what he's getting at in this song for his mothers suffering, but must he use the term fetch when he speaks of his mother getting into heaven? just somethin I read into i guess

Muladhara
05-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Using the term "fetch" in this song, always bothered me. I believe this song is about his mother as well, and the pain she went through for "10,000 days".... I see what he's getting at in this song for his mothers suffering, but must he use the term fetch when he speaks of his mother getting into heaven? just somethin I read into i guess

Um, what's wrong with 'fetch'?

On the original point, I think "the spirit, the son and the father" might just be in that order because it sounds better. It certainly sounds different and interesting, compared to the usual way of saying it.

eleven_waiting
05-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Well, the vocals are going in an accending pattern and do does the rank of the charachters.

For everytime that Saturn Rings an angle get his wings!

Muladhara
05-23-2006, 06:03 AM
Would that be a 90 degree angle?

PriyanPhoenix
05-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Um, what's wrong with 'fetch'?

On the original point, I think "the spirit, the son and the father" might just be in that order because it sounds better. It certainly sounds different and interesting, compared to the usual way of saying it.
I think he means that "fetch" implies commanding them. Not merely let them know I have arrived, but tell them to come here. It is presumptuous.
But I don't have a problem with it. As I said before, I feel this line is Maynard-as-Marie, not Marie, showing that Maynard feels she deserves to command their attention after what she has faithfully endured.

Tyson
05-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Fetch me a spirit, a wine and a larger.

champion
05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Fetch me a midget, and whine on for longer.

BornagainHeretic
05-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I say he reversed it because, everyone still reconizes it as a xtian expression, but by reversing it he makes it his own. Using the phrase in the song for the sake of his mother and her beliefs, but at the same time showing there is a way other than that of organized religion. Hell, maybe he's just cixelsid.

TurdEye13
05-24-2006, 03:06 PM
very interesting

Caduceus11
05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
doNT KNOW!!! WON'T KNOW!!!

GODDAMN! SHIT THE BED!!!

Kristy31803
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Interesting... this line definitely stuck out to me in the song because of the fact that the order works so incredibly well vocally. I agree that it seems like he's moving up the ladder... first Spirit, then Son, and then Father, although by placing "fetch" in front of them he definitely brings their divinity down about 18 notches lol By saying fetch he is characterizing the Trinity as something that can be ordered around. If he loves his mother as much as I think he does, he'll put her way above the Trinity any day.