PDA

View Full Version : 10k days vs. Push It

A groan
05-20-2006, 06:58 AM
It seems alot of you seem to have come to the conclusion that the song 10k days is the Stair way to Heaven from Tool, the great big hit amazing masterpiece...

How the hell can you guys even stack this song up to Push It...??

Push It is deep, moving, a ride..

Sure 10k days the song is some what good...but it is in no way what so ever able to stack up agaisnt Push It..especially the live version.

Ganjalf
05-20-2006, 07:02 AM
pushit is better imo

desoleary
05-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I can't deny that pushit isn't a fantastic song esp. the Saliva version, but comparing it to 10,000 days is madness, they are completely different, definitely I think that Reflection or Third Eye would be a stronger choice and even though I haven't made up my mind, I think emotionally 10,000 days beats any other TOOL song emotionally hands down.

tomhet
05-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I like Pushit better, it's raw and emotional. Besides, I don't like the new album, it kinda ruins the effect of the song, not to mention that it's right before The pot (shivers)

HolyReality
05-20-2006, 02:28 PM
way too different. but I love pushit.

Jon08
05-21-2006, 02:09 PM
both are quite similar in structure, in terms of gradually building up to a great climax, but i feel that 10k days is slightly better. perhaps i've listened to salival too much, but i just feel that 10k days is much more emotional and chilling.

submachine
05-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Pushit has its spectacular climax going for it, but then again it has those bongos against it.
Pushit > 10000 Days

subtlefury
05-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Definitely Pushit.

Maybe because i consider 10,000 days too emotional and personal to Maynard, than to me, and can't relate as much as i do with Pushit. It's much easier with the second to "forge your own meaning" i guess.

But also i find Pushit much better sonically, while 10,000 days is pretty simple and depressing on some parts (of course done intentionally). NOT that i don't like it though, but not my personal favorite.

The Scottish Tool
05-21-2006, 02:45 PM
I reckon Pushit is the most beloved of all Tool songs for the fans.

PriyanPhoenix
05-21-2006, 04:01 PM
The Salival live recording of Pushit remains far and away the best single Tool recording I have ever heard - not many songs would I truly describe as mindblowing, but that is one them.

10,000 Days (both the song and the album) is much more honest and open lyrically than its predecessors but although some might argue it detracts from its technical merit, the end result is incredible raw emotion that I haven't felt to the same degree in any other Tool song. Its power is phenomenal not in spite of but because of its openness.

smeefsmeef
05-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I reckon Pushit is the most beloved of all Tool songs for the fans.

not me. Pushit does rule, but I get a TOTALLY diferent feeling from it. 10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) has almost gotten me to the point of tears. I get goosebumps from Pushit, but an emotional mind-fuck from 10k days.

submachine
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) has almost gotten me to the point of tears..

Seriously, how do you get worked up about a singer singing about something he doesn't even believe in?

smeefsmeef
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Seriously, how do you get worked up about a singer singing about something he doesn't even believe in?

dude - he's singing about his dead mom and HER beliefs... not his.

submachine
05-22-2006, 03:03 AM
dude - he's singing about his dead mom and HER beliefs.

he's singing about his dead mom and HER beliefs as if they are true.

not "mom believed in this"

but

"mon you are going to heaven"

pickle
05-22-2006, 03:09 AM
I agree that they are too different too compare. If it come down to a vote though Pushit would get mine...definately my favourite Tool masterpiece!

AguirreWrathOfTool
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
It's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to tell. Sorry, but it is. We've been listening to Pushit for how long? And Wings for how long? Seriously, we're just scratching the surface of this new masterwork. Anyone whose mind is already made up as to which is the better piece of music should take some more time and reconsider, no matter what their answer is. All we really can tell at this point are a few fairly superficial things:

-They're both in the key of A and root themselves in some sort of triple meter
-Wings is longer than Pushit
-Wings is more complex musically than Pushit
-We have Maynard's official lyrics for Pushit but not Wings
-Wings has thunder, and it's awesome
-Wings is "the best piece of music I've ever been involved with"----Danny
-Wings is "my favorite song that we have ever done...I get choked up when we play it"----Adam
-We know for sure the identity of the individual who was the inspiration for Wings while the "pusher and shover" of Pushit remains unknown to us

Well, that's about it for now. Seriously though, check back on that in a few years...give Wings a chance to really sink in. Memorize all four parts, see it live, give it the royal treatment and then come back. And I will do the same.

raskolnikov_22
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I have gradually come to the conclusion that PushIt is the single greatest Tool song, which is a difficult decision to make since any single work removed from the context of its album reduces the effect of which it is ultimately capable.

anfisechka
05-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Tough question. The Salival version of Pushit remains my favorite song of all time. I personally think Pushit (Salival and the original) is more interesting musically, and there's just something about it that's absolutely mesmerizing. Even the opening guitar notes, though so simple, just completely put me in another state. More soaring vocals than I think we've ever heard from MJK.

Wings, however, has several really powerful moments and should get credit as being the most emotionally open (and possibly powerful?) Tool song ever. Love the gongs and the silences. So I guess it depends on your personal preferences.

"Slipping back into... the gap again... I feel in love when you touch me, I feel in love when you hold me DOWN."

lemonlateralus
05-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I couldnt agree more (",)

The Dharma Bum
05-23-2006, 09:06 AM
he's singing about his dead mom and HER beliefs as if they are true.

not "mom believed in this"

but

"mon you are going to heaven"
How do you figure? Would you like me to break it down line by line for you to understand? I will, but for now here is one.

"Should you see your makers face tonight"

he sings should, not when. This implies that he doesn't believe it will happen, but if it does, then tell god this... (praphrasing here) You desreve to be allowed into heaven because you are the only Christian I have ever known who practiced what you preach.

mattyjax
05-26-2006, 09:49 AM
instead of trying to decide between 10000days and PUSHit- try deciding between disposition/reflection and wings/10000days. These works seem much more comparable- theyre Tool's most recent blaring decents into full fledged prog madness

awaking
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
both are great songs, but id go with pushit atm. 10KD is great but is too slow and mellow at points to beat Pushit. Pushit is one of my fav songs of all time tho

Blanket_509
05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~hobd8260/BeatDeadHorse.gif