PDA

View Full Version : puzzle solved

Laugh
05-19-2006, 03:39 AM
here's the solution to the "puzzle" but some may not agree...

Judging these pictures from an alchemists perspective...
i believe that is what the pictures are clearly indicating.

There are generally 7 stages in the process of alchemy, the desired end result being that of transmuting "lead" into "gold" in hopes of attaining the philosophers stone. This process is called the Great Work. It is considered perhaps the greatest achievement to accomplish the Great Work:

1.CALCINATION: In the Arcanum Experiment, Calcination is represented by sulfuric acid, which the alchemists made from a naturally occurring substance called Vitriol. Sulfuric acid is a powerful corrosive that eats away flesh and reacts with all metals except gold. Psychologically, this is the destruction. (pictures of corroded animal remains in adams lab)

2. DISSOLUTION is the second major operation in the alchemy of transformation.
Physiologically, Dissolution is the continuance of the kundalini experience, the opening-up of energy channels in the body to recharge and elevate every single cell. (this notion of kundalini is observed in the picture of the man with fire spiraling from his head and heart with a serpent headed flame)

3.SEPARATION is the third of the operations of transformation in alchemy. Psychologically, this process is the rediscovery of our essence and the reclaiming of dream and visionary "gold" previously rejected by the masculine, rational part of our minds. It is, for the most part, a conscious process in which we review formerly hidden material and decide what to discard and what to reintegrate into our refined personality. Much of this shadowy material is things we are ashamed of or were taught to hide away by our parents, churches, and schooling. Separation is letting go of the self-inflicted restraints to our true nature, so we can shine through.

4.CONJUNCTION is the fourth of the seven operations of alchemy. chemically, it is the recombination of the saved elements from Separation into a new substance. In the Arcanum Experiment, Conjunction is symbolized by a nitrate compound known as cubic-saltpeter or potassium nitrate, which the alchemists called Natron or simply Salt. Blue-colored Natron acid (aqua fortis) was made by mixing potassium nitrate with sulfuric acid and was used to separate silver from gold. The inert residue precipitated from the acid during the reaction like A CHILD BEING BORN.

5. FERMENTATION is the fifth operation in the alchemy of transformation.
(notice maynard with his wine/fermented drink)
Fermentation is a two-stepped process that begins with the Putrefaction of the hermaphroditic "child" (child in skull on next page of maynards) from the Conjunction resulting in its DEATH and resurrection to a new level of being. The Fermentation phase then begins with the introduction of new life into the product of Conjunction to strengthen it and insure its survival.

6. DISTILLATION is the sixth major operation in the alchemy of transformation. physiologically, Distillation is raising the life force repeatedly from the lower regions in the cauldron (danny, in his scene, has removed the top of a miniature cauldron) of the body to the brain (what Oriental alchemists called the Circulation of the Light), where it eventually becomes a wondrous solidifying light full of power. Distillation is said to culminate in the Third Eye area of the forehead, at the level of the pituitary and pineal glands, in the Brow or Silver Chakra.

7. COAGULATION is the seventh and final operation of alchemy. Psychologically, Coagulation is first sensed as a new confidence that is beyond all things, though many experience it as a Second Body of golden coalesced light, a permanent vehicle of consciousness that embodies the highest aspirations and evolution of mind. Coagulation incarnates and releases the Ultima Materia of the soul, the Astral Body, which the alchemists also referred to it as the Greater or Philosopher’s Stone. Using this magical Stone, the alchemists believed they could exist on all levels of reality.

All the tubes and pyrex chem stuff in the back reminds one of an alchemists lab.
The eagle is always a symbol of volatilization in alchemy. Also, in maynards picture the clock is turned to 11. 11 is the number of the great work accomplished. These guys are telling us they accomplished the great work. Dannys pic has a stack of crowleys books and crowley was all about accomplishing the great work and also spoke of 11 as the number of the great work accomplished.

Whatyah guys think? I think its the most accurate estimation so far...

Liquid Drum Theater
05-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Although most of that went straight over my head, it does sound promising to me.

What do others think?

Muladhara
05-19-2006, 06:32 AM
That's a pretty damn good theory.

Sort of on topic but not, it is actually possible to turn lead into gold using nuclear technology. Unfortunately the immense expense of the procedure negates any financial gain.

defjuxie
05-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Although most of that went straight over my head, it does sound promising to me.

What do others think?

it sounds good but wasnt the puzzle only related to the 4 band pictures? either way you got some good stuff.

phylleb
05-19-2006, 06:43 AM
how in the hell tool could not have reached 'the great work' in lateralus is beyond me. but having said that i like this album better. these guys are perfectionists. it sounds like this album is there zenith and now they feel they have achieved all they could and are at were they want to be as musicians and are calling it quits. once lead is gold the process it complete there are no other steps to be made. they would have to reinvent themselves and the direction of tool as a band. God, i hope this isn't the end of product from tool...this may explain why they are showing themselves on their product. plus when i saw them on the 15th it detroit, they have never been that personal with a group of fans before.

cfdrummer
05-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Very interesting, I would hate for this to be the puzzle but if so... well done.

HallsOfMandos
05-19-2006, 07:29 PM
1.Opiate
2.Undertow
3.Ænima
4.Lateralus
5.10,000 Days
6.?
7.?

Do the albums somwehow link to each phase? Are we to then believe that they will be recording 2 more albums and calling it quits?

paraflux
05-19-2006, 07:31 PM
That's a pretty damn good theory.

Sort of on topic but not, it is actually possible to turn lead into gold using nuclear technology. Unfortunately the immense expense of the procedure negates any financial gain.
Heh. That sucks.

know1special2u
05-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Nice theory. Very insightful.

carefreeonmorph
05-19-2006, 08:17 PM
how in the hell tool could not have reached 'the great work' in lateralus is beyond me. but having said that i like this album better. these guys are perfectionists. it sounds like this album is there zenith and now they feel they have achieved all they could and are at were they want to be as musicians and are calling it quits. once lead is gold the process it complete there are no other steps to be made. they would have to reinvent themselves and the direction of tool as a band. God, i hope this isn't the end of product from tool...this may explain why they are showing themselves on their product. plus when i saw them on the 15th it detroit, they have never been that personal with a group of fans before.

Henry Rollins-If I let you, you would make me destroy myself. But in order to survive you, I must first survive myself. I can sink no further and I cannot forgive you. There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice. Shameless now. Nameless now. Nothing now. No one now. But my soul must be iron cause my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless. And my fear is naked!

They have already... reinvented themselves IMO. There would be no reason for them to do that again.

carefreeonmorph
05-19-2006, 08:19 PM
1.Opiate
2.Undertow
3.Ænima
4.Lateralus
5.10,000 Days
6.?
7.?

Do the albums somwehow link to each phase? Are we to then believe that they will be recording 2 more albums and calling it quits?

You did not include salival

zol
05-20-2006, 12:16 AM
You did not include salival

Probably cos it's not an album.

praefector
05-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Probably cos it's not an album.

might as well be

i listen to it more than lateralus

therandom
05-20-2006, 11:56 PM
1.Opiate
2.Undertow
3.Ænima
4.Lateralus
5.10,000 Days
6.?
7.?

i doubt that when maynard was making songs about jerk-offs in the early nineties he imagined he'd be creating immense puzzles over the course of a decade

bgorton
05-21-2006, 12:05 AM
i doubt that when maynard was making songs about jerk-offs in the early nineties he imagined he'd be creating immense puzzles over the course of a decade

Have you not learned yet never to doubt him?

Laugh
05-21-2006, 02:26 AM
how did this post get so off topic. I never made any correlation between the 7 stages of alchemy and 7 possible albums..

carefreeonmorph
05-21-2006, 05:06 PM
how did this post get so off topic. I never made any correlation between the 7 stages of alchemy and 7 possible albums..

No, but people are trying to put your idea together with their own understanding.

carefreeonmorph
05-21-2006, 05:07 PM
might as well be

i listen to it more than lateralus

Amen, Merkaba is genious. And the No Quarter cover is beautifully sung by Maynard.

Anemictool
05-21-2006, 07:31 PM
q

Anemictool
05-21-2006, 07:34 PM
I doubt this is actually Maynard, but "magnum opus" means a great work of art or literature, especially the finest work produced by one artist or author

MaynardJKeenan33 [7:59 PM]: so you must be a good Christian huh
Tool248 [8:01 PM]: y do u say that?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:01 PM]: just a hunch
Tool248 [8:02 PM]: i am not Christian
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:04 PM]: why not....dont you know Jesus saves
Tool248 [8:05 PM]: who the hell r u?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:05 PM]: ur a Tool fan right...this album will be the last
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:05 PM]: 5...
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: it will
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: what about APC
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:06 PM]: not sure on that yet
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: a/s/l?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:06 PM]: i think that will grow
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: so do i
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:07 PM]: Danny is involved with getting Pygmy love circus going .....Justin is doing his thing
Tool248 [8:07 PM]: with Peach?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:07 PM]: no
Tool248 [8:08 PM]: what about Adam?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:08 PM]: this new album will blow your mind
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:08 PM]: it is our magnum opus
Tool248 [8:08 PM]: and how do u know this?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:09 PM]: Adam is going to take a break and work with some movie projects...he has some side things going too
Tool248 [8:09 PM]: he's still doing art
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:10 PM]: im getting into movies too...
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:10 PM]: APC every other year
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:11 PM]: Next Tool album will be very heavy....think Ticks and Leeches
Tool248 [8:11 PM]: how do u know this?
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: r u MJK?
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: he has inspired me a lot
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: those people who inspired me affect the way I right
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:12 PM]: are you in school?
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: I'm going to go to college
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:13 PM]: good
Tool248 [8:13 PM]: I'm going to major in Forensic Science
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:13 PM]: interesting
Tool248 [8:13 PM]: i still write music
Tool248 [8:13 PM]: I also play the guitar
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:14 PM]: well i will tell you what....i have changed a lot of how i think about things lately
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:14 PM]: my mother passed away last year... and a friend committed suicide....
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:15 PM]: life experiences can change the way you think
Tool248 [8:15 PM]: sorry to hear that
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:15 PM]: dont listen to everything you hear about Maynard j Keenan
Tool248 [8:15 PM]: Parabola had helped me with suicide
Tool248 [8:16 PM]: I know just listen to the music
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:16 PM]: im a closet Christian
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:16 PM]: i take my son to church
Tool248 [8:17 PM]: I wish I had that kind of support from my father, but i've only seen him twice in my life...but I think i am better off without him
Tool248 [8:17 PM]: altihough I have learned from him (his mistakes)
I doubt this is actually Maynard

MaynardJKeenan33 [8:18 PM]: yes but nature would have it that you repeat them
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:18 PM]: unless you break the circle
Tool248 [8:19 PM]: when i have children i want to give them a much better life than I had
Tool248 [8:19 PM]: i don't want then to have to go through what i have
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:20 PM]: then dont....keep your dick in your pants and dont cum in chicks
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:20 PM]: simple as that
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:21 PM]: and then have kids later on....
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:21 PM]: well got to go stir things up a little
Tool248 [8:21 PM]: I now
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:21 PM]: peace
Tool248 [8:21 PM]: know*
Tool248 [8:21 PM]: peace
Tool248 [8:21 PM]: take care
MaynardJKeenan33 signed off at 8:24 PM

here's the solution to the "puzzle" but some may not agree...

Judging these pictures from an alchemists perspective...
i believe that is what the pictures are clearly indicating.

There are generally 7 stages in the process of alchemy, the desired end result being that of transmuting "lead" into "gold" in hopes of attaining the philosophers stone. This process is called the Great Work. It is considered perhaps the greatest achievement to accomplish the Great Work:

1.CALCINATION: In the Arcanum Experiment, Calcination is represented by sulfuric acid, which the alchemists made from a naturally occurring substance called Vitriol. Sulfuric acid is a powerful corrosive that eats away flesh and reacts with all metals except gold. Psychologically, this is the destruction. (pictures of corroded animal remains in adams lab)

2. DISSOLUTION is the second major operation in the alchemy of transformation.
Physiologically, Dissolution is the continuance of the kundalini experience, the opening-up of energy channels in the body to recharge and elevate every single cell. (this notion of kundalini is observed in the picture of the man with fire spiraling from his head and heart with a serpent headed flame)

3.SEPARATION is the third of the operations of transformation in alchemy. Psychologically, this process is the rediscovery of our essence and the reclaiming of dream and visionary "gold" previously rejected by the masculine, rational part of our minds. It is, for the most part, a conscious process in which we review formerly hidden material and decide what to discard and what to reintegrate into our refined personality. Much of this shadowy material is things we are ashamed of or were taught to hide away by our parents, churches, and schooling. Separation is letting go of the self-inflicted restraints to our true nature, so we can shine through.

4.CONJUNCTION is the fourth of the seven operations of alchemy. chemically, it is the recombination of the saved elements from Separation into a new substance. In the Arcanum Experiment, Conjunction is symbolized by a nitrate compound known as cubic-saltpeter or potassium nitrate, which the alchemists called Natron or simply Salt. Blue-colored Natron acid (aqua fortis) was made by mixing potassium nitrate with sulfuric acid and was used to separate silver from gold. The inert residue precipitated from the acid during the reaction like A CHILD BEING BORN.

5. FERMENTATION is the fifth operation in the alchemy of transformation.
(notice maynard with his wine/fermented drink)
Fermentation is a two-stepped process that begins with the Putrefaction of the hermaphroditic "child" (child in skull on next page of maynards) from the Conjunction resulting in its DEATH and resurrection to a new level of being. The Fermentation phase then begins with the introduction of new life into the product of Conjunction to strengthen it and insure its survival.

6. DISTILLATION is the sixth major operation in the alchemy of transformation. physiologically, Distillation is raising the life force repeatedly from the lower regions in the cauldron (danny, in his scene, has removed the top of a miniature cauldron) of the body to the brain (what Oriental alchemists called the Circulation of the Light), where it eventually becomes a wondrous solidifying light full of power. Distillation is said to culminate in the Third Eye area of the forehead, at the level of the pituitary and pineal glands, in the Brow or Silver Chakra.

7. COAGULATION is the seventh and final operation of alchemy. Psychologically, Coagulation is first sensed as a new confidence that is beyond all things, though many experience it as a Second Body of golden coalesced light, a permanent vehicle of consciousness that embodies the highest aspirations and evolution of mind. Coagulation incarnates and releases the Ultima Materia of the soul, the Astral Body, which the alchemists also referred to it as the Greater or Philosopher’s Stone. Using this magical Stone, the alchemists believed they could exist on all levels of reality.

All the tubes and pyrex chem stuff in the back reminds one of an alchemists lab.
The eagle is always a symbol of volatilization in alchemy. Also, in maynards picture the clock is turned to 11. 11 is the number of the great work accomplished. These guys are telling us they accomplished the great work. Dannys pic has a stack of crowleys books and crowley was all about accomplishing the great work and also spoke of 11 as the number of the great work accomplished.

Whatyah guys think? I think its the most accurate estimation so far...

Muladhara
05-21-2006, 09:22 PM
LoL @ MaynardJKeenan33

JOK3R
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
if thats really maynard its funny cuz he had to put numbers after his name cuz without numbers was probably taken.

CaRNaLiTo
05-21-2006, 09:38 PM
What is that from?

knpoole
05-21-2006, 09:53 PM
What is that from?
your avatar is fucking disgusting

Muladhara
05-22-2006, 04:44 AM
if thats really maynard its funny cuz he had to put numbers after his name cuz without numbers was probably taken.

Yes because Maynard obviously has the time to have a chat with a random person on a random chat site whilst he's touring.

defjuxie
05-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Yes because Maynard obviously has the time to have a chat with a random person on a random chat site whilst he's touring.

thank you and amen.

Inner_Eulogy
05-22-2006, 09:37 AM
1.Opiate
2.Undertow
3.Ænima
4.Lateralus
5.10,000 Days
6.?
7.?

From what I understand, they are under contract for 1 more record at least, however, I'm unsure if the Live DVD (if that ever happens) would count or not.

HallsOfMandos
05-22-2006, 10:45 AM
1. Oversight, did not list Salival
2. was just stirring the pot, this is not something I believe to be true, just put it out there to see...
3. i dont think there is an 'answer,' nor do I think there is a 'puzzle'

have fun

infamia
05-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I think you might be on to something here… sounds like you know a lot about the subject.

Anemictool
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM

First of all, I personally don't think it was him. And this conversation was from last year.

toocooltool
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Hmm interesting thread..

haloocyn
05-31-2006, 01:47 AM
so is this alchemy a some sort of way to enlightment ? (metaphorical transmuting metaphorical lead to gold?)

i think you got the stuff right... where did you get the alchemy facts from?

Laugh
05-31-2006, 08:27 PM
alchemy is a metaphor for the path to enlightenment, yes.
I got my information from training as i am a student of the western mystery traditions and, in my opinion, i am correct in my observations. There are too many components that confirm my assessment. The eagle, the cauldron, the decaying flesh, wine/fermentation, the inner child. All symbols of alchemy.

lsdj
05-31-2006, 10:45 PM
i think someone hit the puzzle thing right on the head when they said that the "puzzle" was to make your own meaning to what you see/hear with tool......i mean they have been preaching about thinking for yourself and having an open mind their entire career so i think the true ansewer to this puzzle might just be to thinki for yourself and take what tool does as something personal to you

khemystri
05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
i think someone hit the puzzle thing right on the head when they said that the "puzzle" was to make your own meaning to what you see/hear with tool......i mean they have been preaching about thinking for yourself and having an open mind their entire career so i think the true ansewer to this puzzle might just be to thinki for yourself and take what tool does as something personal to you

Youve posted this exact same post in like 5 threads.... Your fuckin nuts....

lsdj
05-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Youve posted this exact same post in like 5 threads.... Your fuckin nuts....
again man do you think everyone reads every post and thread....prbably not if they actually have a life....which im guessing you don't so i wanted to get my OPINION across to other people so sorry it pisses you off that some people only have time to read a few threads not evry goddamn one

khemystri
05-31-2006, 11:29 PM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=50170

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=48115&page=2

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=49219

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=48536

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=50171

troublefunk
05-31-2006, 11:30 PM

My thoughts exactly. Also, although it's hard to really cite anything they say in interviews as sincere, the band members repeatedly say that each album is based on the four of them coming together as equals to try to capture as best they can a snapshot of their thoughts and emotions during that time in their lives. They wait a long time between albums and work really hard on each one to maximize this effect and make it sound as awesome as possible, but at it's best it's still limited to their point of conversion molded by some intense work ethic and a great ear for music. In interviews, they all come off as genuinely in service to the music, something that Maynard sees as an emotional and primal force that any creative person can tap into at any time. He always says that music is the most important thing, and that's why he doesn't include lyrics with the album and waits awhile to release them online. I believe this.

I realize this is a bit off topic, since this is supposed to be about the "puzzle" in the album's artwork. On that, I found the alchemy connection very plausible. Seems like the kind of thing they might do. Maynard does use alchemy vocab from time to time (the grudge's mention of transmuting leaden grudges into gold and Intension's similar use of a stone that can be a weapon or a shelter come to mind). But I forget... who said that there was a puzzle? Blair? I don't know about that guy at all really, I just hear about him sometimes as the dude who runs toolband.

Also, I found that AIM conversation with a possible Maynard quite interesting. Somehow it actually seems possible that he would say stuff like that. I know of two times he's actually said he reads this site- one in the AP story on the main opinion page where he says that he reads the interpretations at they're "way off," and another time recently when they played in boston and he said something about people on here (or perhaps another tool forum) saying that they weren't playing the pot because he was to sick to sign sooooo HIGH. So it's not inconceivable that he would randomly message some Tool fan and chat for like two minutes. Chances are it wasn't him, but there's something about it that makes it seem possible. No red flags really... just a slightly sarcastic intellgent dude messaging someone he knows will listen to him.

Finally, this is a great thread. Makes me proud to be a poster on here. The 'alrighty then?' thread had me questioning the purpose of this.

SysTooL
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
The Theory of the Alchemist is interesting... but I find it difficult to correlate the 7 "phases" with TOOL albums... it's going too far...

waffel
06-01-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm MaynardJKeenan33.

elevation
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm MaynardJKeenan33.

Nate-Dogg85
06-06-2006, 06:26 AM

ive read this like... 5 times or so, and now its finally starting to make sense to me. Thanks for the repost 4 times sir! /sarcasm.

the darknight
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
i bet your right and there is nothing to this puzzle stuff other than what you make of it.

but how boring is that...

wearethestories
06-09-2006, 06:53 PM
The MJK thing is plausible, and, if false, is nevertheless, interesting.

On ALCHEMY:

Do the pictures in ORDER represent alchemy?
(in either reverse or forward order as the name of the album usually comes first, yet when looking through the lenses is actually the last thing to see if you flip them starting with the one closest to the lenses)

This is one of the major hang-ups I see with ANY solution to the puzzle is linking THEORIES to the acutal pictures and how the band ordered them. I could say something like --- in each of the band pictures they are dressed funny and that relates to the fuzzy raven/skull picture because it's funny and it's like the flaming spiral because the guy has no clothes on which is funny (as is the fetus/skull picture). But without relating the pictures to a process and just saying how things IN the picutres relate to different concepts, I think the threory is flawed.

That said, I think this is the best that anyone's come up with thus far.

*applause*

wearethestories
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
the APC stuff is the only thing really fishy about the MJK33 thing...

it's dead - confirmed by MJK and Billy, so I think he'd know about it last year...

lsdj
06-09-2006, 08:46 PM

ive read this like... 5 times or so, and now its finally starting to make sense to me. Thanks for the repost 4 times sir! /sarcasm.

hey dude seriously fuck off..........this is an opinions post i can post my opinions wherever i want as many times as i want and i don't really need to take shit from little punks like you

HelenA
07-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm MaynardJKeenan33.

Well if you're the man

I'm MaynardLKeenan33.

and HE'S the man

then I'm the man too ....

Luosdasa
07-02-2006, 02:48 AM
hey dude seriously fuck off..........this is an opinions post i can post my opinions wherever i want as many times as i want and i don't really need to take shit from little punks like you

That you most certainately can. Just as everyone else can post their OPINION as to how much of a pathetic you are for posting the same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over...

Luosdasa
07-02-2006, 02:50 AM
That you most certainately can. Just as everyone else can post their OPINION as to how much of a pathetic you are for posting the same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over...

Luosdasa
07-02-2006, 02:53 AM
i could go on coppying and pasteing repeatadely and whatnot to make my point about posting what i want as many times as i want. but i just remembered i have a life, i think ill go enjoy it...

HelenA
07-02-2006, 03:08 AM
I doubt this is actually Maynard, but "magnum opus" means a great work of art or literature, especially the finest work produced by one artist or author

I SO hope this is not real. If 10,000 days was the last ever Tool album that would be a tragedy. PLEASE PLEASE tell me that there is some other explanation! I know that from the band's point of view - there are many other things to do .... but from OUR point of view (the fan's point of view), it would be ...so...so...sad.

holotrope
07-02-2006, 08:40 AM
most interesting. I certainly think that this is a good thematic explanation of the album art, but I'm not sure that this cracks the puzzle that Blair mentions concerning the four pictures of the band members. I think there's still something more to that.

Blanket_509
07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
You can all find the philosopher's stone...deep...within......my pants.

cmurphy
07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Well if you're the man

and HE'S the man

then I'm the man too ....

So point your fuckin finger up your ass

brend_n
07-05-2006, 08:05 PM
In addition to Laugh's post, the songs have thematic relationships to principles embodied in the Sephira of the Tree of Life. Tarot, Kabbala, Alchemy and the Great Work overwhelmingly provide the structure for 10000 Days. The cues and clues are quite overt, actually, but if anyone wants to dispute it go ahead. The album isn't telling a story at all, really, its telling THE STORY. It is a magnum opus in that it is a fully realised work of art and magick, with far more complexity of structure than previous albums. Normally I'd say something like ''its about the music" and not to analyse the life out of it, but approaching the album armed with the requisite understanding of its inspiration reveals so, *so* much more and while not the _only_ way to appreciate the music, it is the only way to understand the album.

Laugh is (mostly) right. Puzzle solved, for some. For others the puzzle will have just begun.

Blanket_509
07-07-2006, 10:58 AM
In addition to Laugh's post, the songs have thematic relationships to principles embodied in the Sephira of the Tree of Life. Tarot, Kabbala, Alchemy and the Great Work overwhelmingly provide the structure for 10000 Days. The cues and clues are quite overt, actually, but if anyone wants to dispute it go ahead. The album isn't telling a story at all, really, its telling THE STORY. It is a magnum opus in that it is a fully realised work of art and magick, with far more complexity of structure than previous albums. Normally I'd say something like ''its about the music" and not to analyse the life out of it, but approaching the album armed with the requisite understanding of its inspiration reveals so, *so* much more and while not the _only_ way to appreciate the music, it is the only way to understand the album.

Laugh is (mostly) right. Puzzle solved, for some. For others the puzzle will have just begun.

How does any of that alchemy crap have anything to do with the music or song lyrics? Yes I see the connection with the artwork, albeit a weak one, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the song-writing. The connection between the art and music is more obviously the theme of integration. You know, "two become one". Basically the resolution between and integration of two parts of the psyche that had at some point been one and had become severed from one another. The point is, when you bring these partitions back together, they form a much more beautiful picture than either one could project on its own.

But that's just my take on it all. I don't know about all that Magick stuff. Just seems a little gimmicky to me.

brend_n
07-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Someone who had spent years of their life investigating magick would not consider it gimmicky. For many, it becomes part of their mode of being and of expression.

Dark Globe
07-07-2006, 09:54 PM
i solved the puzzle.......all you do is cut out the stars, and go buy another album so maynard gets more money and can buy that swimming pool he wants

Blanket_509
07-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Someone who had spent years of their life investigating magick would not consider it gimmicky. For many, it becomes part of their mode of being and of expression.

I wish you could hear how rediculous this sounds.

[edit]I'd like to make an announcement. From now on, I am going to devote my life to the study of houdou mysticism. And you can't make fun of me because houdou transcends throughout my very being.

See what I'm getting at? You don't need a bunch of esoteric symbolism and bullshit to lead a fulfilling and spiritual life. Everything you need for that is just waiting to be unlocked from within you. There are no secrets to be learned or stupid charades to be performed; just a body and a consciousness to be tackled. To assume that some external entity or body of work holds a bounty of secrets for the enlightenment of the individual is to relieve oneself from the responsibility of exploring, analyzing, and deciding on one's own.

In addition, the esoteric symbolism and metaphor of "magick" is no less crazy and useless than the esoteric symbolism of Christianity, or Judaism, or Islam, or...you get the idea.

Inner_Eulogy
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I SO hope this is not real. If 10,000 days was the last ever Tool album that would be a tragedy. PLEASE PLEASE tell me that there is some other explanation! I know that from the band's point of view - there are many other things to do .... but from OUR point of view (the fan's point of view), it would be ...so...so...sad.

I do believe they are still under contract for one more record.

HelenA
07-13-2006, 05:17 AM

THAT is good news - thankyou.

lsdj
07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
was there ever an actual "solution" to tjhis "puzzle"????

Rhymic
08-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I like what we have though. The steps of alchemy do seem to make a lot of sense... but I feel that it goes even farther than that. I don't have the cd with me right now, but from what I remember seeing, look at how the lights are arranged in the back behind (I think it was) Adam. There is even a bird on one of them. Then on Danny's pic, there are two picture frames in the same arrangement and one of them has the diagram of the Tree of Life. Also, what does the naked chick holding the Empire State Building mean? I think it's cool that the first step mentioned eating away flesh and there's a ghost skeleton in Adam's pic.

I like the thought of the albums being steps too. Although, if Salival isn't really an album, then I think Opiate wouldn't be either. But, I do like how the steps coincide. (Quoting some of the alchemy steps Laugh posted...)

1. Calcination - Opiate could be considered "destruction" (Heaviest album in my opinion with songs like Jerk-Off, Hush, and Cold and Ugly)

2. Dissolution - Undertow could be "the opening of energy channels in the body to recharge and elevate every cell" (Prison Sex, Sober, 4 Degrees, Flood...)

3. Separation - Aenima could be the "rediscovery of our essence" with the songs Forty Six & 2 ("shadowy material"), H. (His old middle initial that he left behind), Jimmy (his old nickname he left behind) (This song even mentions the number 11 a lot), Third Eye...

4. Conjunction - Lateralus could be the "recombination of elements" with him saying "Saturn comes back around" and "turn these leadened grudges into gold," being "Patient," in Schism he sings a lot about the pieces fitting and in Lateralus he sings in the middle about feeling connected and swinging on the spiral...

5. Fermentation - 10,000 Days could be the "death and resurrection to a new level of being" with what someone said in another thread about the cd cover being a sign of dying. Also, it seems strange that the timing would be perfect for the unfortunate death of his mother, but the stories created in the album do fit this step. "I need to watch things die" - "Pure as we begin..."

6. Distillation - The next album, if possible and true, could be "raising the life force repeatedly from the lower regions in the cauldron," which could coincide with what the IM message meant we he said that the next album would be the heaviest like Ticks and Leeches. Then again, I don't think it was Maynard either. Whoever it was, they were probably just trying to make people think that the next album would be heavy because the last few really haven't been. But if it is somehow Maynard, then this is kinda cool.

7. Coagulation - This album would somehow be a "permanent vehicle of consciousness that embodies the highest aspirations and evolution of mind." Interesting...

These do seem to make sense in small ways, but then again we could be way off. Fun stuff to think about though hehe. :)

Rhymic
08-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Well not exactly that we're way off, but going too far. Over-thinking and over-analyzing if you will.

Scobularni
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM

"Best Of" ;)

recor
08-05-2006, 05:06 PM
i think its already been 'solved' that there is no fucking puzzle

filter
08-06-2006, 08:35 AM
These do seem to make sense in small ways, but then again we could be way off. Fun stuff to think about though hehe. :)

You need to be distilled.

abrack29
08-06-2006, 09:28 AM

They signed a 3 album contract before Lateralus. It all depends on whether you count Salival. Either they're done with the contract, or they have one left.

BigWeenie
08-12-2006, 05:02 PM
its an obvious reference to alchemy...i'd just be interested to have the educated originator of this thread explain in more detail some of the subtleties in the photos. Is the first photo of cards tarot cards, etc.??

toolfan600
08-19-2006, 12:50 PM

MaynardJKeenan33 [7:59 PM]: so you must be a good Christian huh
Tool248 [8:01 PM]: y do u say that?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:01 PM]: just a hunch
Tool248 [8:02 PM]: i am not Christian
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:04 PM]: why not....dont you know Jesus saves
Tool248 [8:05 PM]: who the hell r u?
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: what about APC
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:06 PM]: not sure on that yet
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: a/s/l?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:06 PM]: i think that will grow
Tool248 [8:06 PM]: so do i
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:07 PM]: Danny is involved with getting Pygmy love circus going .....Justin is doing his thing
Tool248 [8:07 PM]: with Peach?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:07 PM]: no
Tool248 [8:08 PM]: what about Adam?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:08 PM]: this new album will blow your mind
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:08 PM]: it is our magnum opus
Tool248 [8:08 PM]: and how do u know this?
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:09 PM]: Adam is going to take a break and work with some movie projects...he has some side things going too
Tool248 [8:09 PM]: he's still doing art
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:10 PM]: im getting into movies too...
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:10 PM]: APC every other year
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:11 PM]: Next Tool album will be very heavy....think Ticks and Leeches
Tool248 [8:11 PM]: how do u know this?
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: r u MJK?
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: he has inspired me a lot
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: those people who inspired me affect the way I right
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:12 PM]: are you in school?
Tool248 [8:12 PM]: I'm going to go to college
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:13 PM]: good
Tool248 [8:13 PM]: I'm going to major in Forensic Science
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:13 PM]: interesting
Tool248 [8:13 PM]: i still write music
Tool248 [8:13 PM]: I also play the guitar
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:14 PM]: well i will tell you what....i have changed a lot of how i think about things lately
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:14 PM]: my mother passed away last year... and a friend committed suicide....
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:15 PM]: life experiences can change the way you think
Tool248 [8:15 PM]: sorry to hear that
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:15 PM]: dont listen to everything you hear about Maynard j Keenan
Tool248 [8:15 PM]: Parabola had helped me with suicide
Tool248 [8:16 PM]: I know just listen to the music
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:16 PM]: im a closet Christian
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:16 PM]: i take my son to church
Tool248 [8:17 PM]: I wish I had that kind of support from my father, but i've only seen him twice in my life...but I think i am better off without him
Tool248 [8:17 PM]: altihough I have learned from him (his mistakes)
I doubt this is actually Maynard

MaynardJKeenan33 [8:18 PM]: yes but nature would have it that you repeat them
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:18 PM]: unless you break the circle
Tool248 [8:19 PM]: when i have children i want to give them a much better life than I had
Tool248 [8:19 PM]: i don't want then to have to go through what i have
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:20 PM]: then dont....keep your dick in your pants and dont cum in chicks
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:20 PM]: simple as that
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:21 PM]: and then have kids later on....
MaynardJKeenan33 [8:21 PM]: well got to go stir things up a little
Tool248 [8:21 PM]: I now

Are we forgetting that Maynard and the other members of Tool don't really like to share their personal lives with fans? C'mon

Harry
08-28-2006, 12:26 PM
i bet your right and there is nothing to this puzzle stuff other than what you make of it.

but how boring is that...

Ha! Finally a joke I can -dig-!

Mabye it's about organic tomato juice. Or pop-culture irony (bildungsroman gonna come full circle). How about home equity?

Maybe it's about the mo-hawk.

Maybe it's about the curtains.

Maybe it's about the March, 2004 E.V. newsletter.

May be a nice month to walk such a fine a$$.

Harry - saved by the bell

anubis639
10-03-2006, 07:54 PM
i think a lot of tool fans are fearful and they hide it with this kind of insecure arrogance. and i'm not replying to any specific post in this thread or any other thread for that matter. first of all, i suggest everyone read of listen to the power of now. second of all, has anyone heard of humilitiy? there is absolutley nothing wrong with agreeing with christ or the idea of christ. i personally am not a christian in title because i tend to incorporate everything but what it all really comes down to is who really gives a shit? while everyone single of ya'll bastards are fighting amongst yourselves over this and that get out and enjoy the fuckin world. life is way too short to sit around debating. if there is any one message that most people should gleam from tool is that they are a positive band and that is what it's most important. they care and so should you. so fuck differences. concentrate on what is the same. please. i kind of feel that that is maynard in that convo. love is where it is at. fuckin stop please with your petty bullshit and live life goddamnit.

blair's man sausage
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
why are you here? that's the new puzzle

Torthlert
10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
why are you here? that's the new puzzle

No no no!!! Don't go and ruin one's honest and humble attempt at conveying an important message.

if it's an obvious message, great. If you've never heard anything like it, get inspired.

But for god sakes, don't slam the guy.

Bms46and2, you're EXACTLY the type of person he's talking about.

And now, so am I, because I'm debating the situation.

Oh God, what have I done?!

-Turds

Lawy
10-06-2006, 11:37 AM
btw, there is a book (science fiction) about like opposite-materials, in that book there are like demons (little creatures) who transfer everything in to opposite materials (i'm not advanced enough in chemistry, so i don't know how to appoint the opposite materials) and I remember quite well from that book, that lead is opposite to gold!!!!
and in that book, the demons infected ALL the world with themselves, and people never died, cuz the demons changed their age periodically, and the world too, damn, that sure was a really good book.
sorry if this isn't about the topic. i'll find out if I remember the name of that book. it was quite interesting.

IC
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM

thank you. thank you. god damn i think its unhealthy for me to go into these forums ever again.

sundelius
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
1.Opiate
2.Undertow
3.Ænima
4.Lateralus
5.10,000 Days
6.?
7.?

Seeing how Opiate relates with the first stage of the alchemist process with the destructive nature of the cd and the anger. Also the substance that eats away at all except gold reveals the final track of the cd Opiate also the name of the album. What I think is that every tool album has been gold. But, thats my opinion back to the real story. Undertow is like the second process because it has a constant energy to it (like most of tool cds) but Undertow is engergized and has the begining stages of maynards more spirtual writing he is starting to look inward. The Third stage is big in seperation and figuring out the parts of our concious and unconcious that we are ashamed of and normally putting them away further into our brains because of the nature of the society we live in. We also figure out what feelings to keep and what to get rid of. The title track Aenima to me is the song version of this process. I would copy and paste the lyrics of the entire song but that would take up way to much space. As if i allready hadn't. Anyway, read the song think about when he says fuck this and fuck that, although he is refrencing others he is speaking of the thoughts that he and almost everyone else have but don't show but the certain people and things he is saying fuck to bring them out and express the poor ways humans can exist. Also, I believe on the cover art there is a picture of the western states and when you move it right California 'Seperates'. For the fourth stage we have Lateralus and Conjunction, it is about putting two things together. The Grudge comes to my mind reason being whenever two things are put together there will usually be some sort of reaction. A Grudge is a reaction that people may have that seperates us because of the reaction. Also in Schism we see a lot of that. "The Light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us" the reaction between the two people being put together was negative and created a grudge which pushed the two people away from eachother. Then there is Parabol and Parabola a song that is about an expirence between two people of the highest caliber of divinity. Which could be like sex, which would result in a child being born. The child being born could also be the represented in the title track "Lateralus" the song is about discovering your true inner self and soul and putting the peices of life together. The Fifth step Fermentation was a little difficult for me to relate to 10,000 days however I could come up with something. 10,000 days is defenity a new sound for tool a birth of something new. and Though it is the birth of something new there is much death in the subject matter of the Wings 1 and 2. Perhaps I am going way to far into this but I was really inspired by both the alchemist theory and the response to it with the 7 albums theory. Thanks to both of you,
please tell me what you think bout this

opiated
11-20-2006, 05:17 PM
"Best Of" ;)

I never want to see Tool release a "Best Of" album. Never. God damn, something like that coming from them would just . . . no, no, fucking no.

If they decide not record any more albums, at least let them release a huge compilation of rare material, demos, and Salival. That would be nice and better than some gay "Best Of" album. Let people who want to listen to the band buy the main course(s) and not some gay sampler platter.

Laugh
11-26-2006, 10:24 AM
yeah, those are tarot cards he's using in the album photos. Aleister Crowley Thoth Deck.

SoadTool
12-05-2006, 08:00 AM
his name is robert paulson....... i mean maynard keenan33

Ming
12-05-2006, 08:33 AM
The final answer to the puzzle comes in a decripted message which simply states:

You have too much time on your hands.

Based on the recent Maynard interview for TheOnion, I'd say there's a decent chance that there's no incredibly complex sekr3t hidden map to the Freemason's gold stash, the meaning of life, or the fountain of youth. Color me pessimistic and cynical, but even if there is a puzzle it won't have a discrete "answer," and will furthermore never be resolved or explained by anyone "in the know." It's just one of the rock and roll gimmicks the likes of which have been going on since the 60's on Beetles album covers.

Inner_Eulogy
12-10-2006, 07:03 PM
On the latest posting on Toolband.com there was apparently a nod to the album artwork..."when dealing with the Rennes affair, mirror-images and things going counter clock-wise are of great importance". At least I think it was a settle hint towards the !0k Days artwork "supposed puzzle". I really don't have the time nor the care to look into it but happy journey to those who will over-analyze and sdo exactly that.