PDA

View Full Version : The secret to 46&2

Inner_Eulogy
05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Means if you add 44 gumdrops + 2 gumdrops = 46 and you want 2 more.

xXAtaraxiaXx
05-20-2006, 03:54 PM
What if I wanted 3 more? Could I subtract the third from the 46? I would then have 45&3. Does this provide the same effect of 46&2?

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 09:02 PM
...are you kidding me?

mjkajdcjc
11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
...are you kidding me?

Let's hope so for the sake of all humanity.

Oh, wait, humanity is already doomed.

...This is still a stupid thread.

There is no spoon
11-21-2006, 10:17 AM
It would be hilarious if Maynard was actually referring to eating gumdrops.

Corvyn
11-25-2006, 12:15 AM
What if he actually hates candy? That would suck I would lose a certain amount of faith.

Sentry
11-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Any ideas on what the last 2 choromosomes would be?
I've read a little Jung, and I know the last two chrom's are supposed to relate to the "shadow" conciousness. "Shadow" being the darker side of yourself that underlies your subconcious, but if a theory already exists for the shadow... Wouldnt it already be inebbed into people... Why would people have to eveolve into a 48 chrom being?

chonus
11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
This thread delivers.

morethanmusic
12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
I've read a little Jung, and I know the last two chrom's are supposed to relate to the "shadow" conciousness. "Shadow" being the darker side of yourself that underlies your subconcious, but if a theory already exists for the shadow... Wouldnt it already be inebbed into people... Why would people have to eveolve into a 48 chrom being?

this theory seems a little outlandish. why would anyone write a song about philosophy, when they could write about gumdrops.

mtm

TEST
12-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Let's hope so for the sake of all humanity.

Oh, wait, humanity is already doomed.

...This is still a stupid thread.

LOL...you the man...and speakin' the truth

Exarch
12-03-2006, 11:41 AM
hmm,

Gumdrops or Evolution...

Gumdrops!

Inner_Eulogy
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
...are you kidding me?

It was a complete slapstick joke. I was apparently just in a goofy mood that day.

<edit> Albeit, I apologize for wasting a thread on it..lol, I'm surprised the moderators haven't deleted it yet

fretforyourfigure462
12-31-2006, 12:15 AM
hahah. I wasn't mad...I had just gotten done reading a bunch of idiotic overanalyzed interpretations [which tends to happen a lot when I read this forum] so I was kind of in a pissy mood. My apology.

LRonHubbard
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
What if I wanted 3 more? Could I subtract the third from the 46? I would then have 45&3. Does this provide the same effect of 46&2?

you could do that....but

"45 and 3 is just ahead of me " doesnt have the same ring to it............

Inner_Eulogy
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Can't believe this thread is even here still. Anyways, Carl Jung's philosophy did not incorporate the human genome(chromosomes). I'm not sure where you got your idea about certain chromosomes representing the shadow or whatnot. The song is a combination of Carl Jung's philosophy and probably Bob Frissell's book "Nothing In This Book Is True, But It's Exactly The Way Things Are". Although, they do somewhat go hand in hand theoretically speaking. I'm no bio-molecular engineer either but from what I understand, the 46&2 chromosome thing doesn't necessarily mean anything scientifically speaking...there are animals that have many more chromosomes than we humans do. I think it's more figuratively speaking however, who's to say some animals aren't much smarter than we are to begin with anyway..lol

wolffman5200
02-12-2007, 05:51 PM
beer

*~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~*
04-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Omg this thread is stupid! 46 gumdrops and you want 2 more? your stupid! omfg... He meant he had 46 BISCUITS and someone gave him 2 MORE!

thepot06
07-22-2007, 07:49 AM
stupid thread

Inner_Eulogy
07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
stupid thread

Stupid of you to post on it after it's been dead for over 3mos

miketh74
07-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Funny shit..considering what Inner Eulogy said. We only use ..what is it....12% of our brain? So we're all stupid.....to a point. Nothing wrong with starting a new topic on that..

JDParker7
08-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Means if you add 44 gumdrops + 2 gumdrops = 46 and you want 2 more.

Internet Gold.
Glad I found it.

and also, 10% (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html) is the key number. And false (http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp), so far as I know.

Inner_Eulogy
08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Internet Gold.
Glad I found it.

and also, 10% (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html) is the key number. And false (http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp), so far as I know.

Pretty cool website there but, their argument was pointless. The phrase "10% of our brains" doesn't mean we are only using 10% of the physical muscle known as the brain which is exactly what they argued their point about. It means we only utilize 10% of what our brains are capable of. Now, I'm not saying it's exactly the way it is or even that the percentage is correct but I do believe in the possibility that our brains and the human being are capable of so much more. Think Yogis who walk on fire or people that have some form of ESP and/or clairvoyance. I'm always on the fence with it but I do believe certain people have found ways or were simply born being able to muster up a little extra brainpower than others to acheive these qualities. Or that theory, I forget the name, but it's where if you believe you're not sick when you are and you concentrate on feeling better, it heals you.

JDParker7
08-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Just want to point out a few things.

Firstly, I thought your OP was very funny. Especially as I read it immediately after this thread (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=71916)* and was feeling weighed down in the over-analyzing (crap) most people do with Tool lyrics. It was refreshing to read about gumdrops.

Secondly, I was having a dig at miketh74 with the 10% thing. I thought throwing that myth into the mix, (and getting the figure wrong) was also pretty funny. I simply Googled (http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/search.pl?query=10%+brain) and pasted in that link because it said "Neuroscience for Kids", and I didn't actually read it. I was aware of the Snopes article however, and I would like to point out the following from there.Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp)
Just as people don't use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don't use all of their brain at once. For any given activity ... you may use a few specific parts of your brain. Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all parts of the brain are used at one time or another.I do not believe that there is some part of the brain that we have failed to tap into yet or have forgotten to use over time. As MRI and PET scans of the brain show, synapses are used in all parts of the brain. Ever heard a doctor say, "...But luckily when that bullet entered his skull, it only damaged the 90% of his brain he didn't use"?Of course not. That would be ridiculous.

And lastly, I think that there are extraordinary individuals who higher brain functions are perhaps faster or stronger than the average persons. It's called intelligence. Yogis, able to walk across fire, are more likely turning parts (specifically, pain receptors) off in the brain. This control comes from working the brain, just like any other muscle, so that is stronger. As for clairvoyance, I think that is a load of bullshit. Cold reading (as practised by that arse, John Edwards) is merely a guessing game designed to dupe people.

Sorry for the rant, but this 10% myth really irks me.

*EDIT: I really like this thread btw. Black's post is how I feel about the song.

miketh74
09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Just want to point out a few things.

Firstly, I thought your OP was very funny. Especially as I read it immediately after this thread (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=71916)* and was feeling weighed down in the over-analyzing (crap) most people do with Tool lyrics. It was refreshing to read about gumdrops.

Secondly, I was having a dig at miketh74 with the 10% thing. I thought throwing that myth into the mix, (and getting the figure wrong) was also pretty funny. I simply Googled (http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/search.pl?query=10%+brain) and pasted in that link because it said "Neuroscience for Kids", and I didn't actually read it. I was aware of the Snopes article however, and I would like to point out the following from there.I do not believe that there is some part of the brain that we have failed to tap into yet or have forgotten to use over time. As MRI and PET scans of the brain show, synapses are used in all parts of the brain. Of course not. That would be ridiculous.

And lastly, I think that there are extraordinary individuals who higher brain functions are perhaps faster or stronger than the average persons. It's called intelligence. Yogis, able to walk across fire, are more likely turning parts (specifically, pain receptors) off in the brain. This control comes from working the brain, just like any other muscle, so that is stronger. As for clairvoyance, I think that is a load of bullshit. Cold reading (as practised by that arse, John Edwards) is merely a guessing game designed to dupe people.

Sorry for the rant, but this 10% myth really irks me.

*EDIT: I really like this thread btw. Black's post is how I feel about the song.

Nothing wrong with the rant man.

If you think about it, if we use only 10% of the brain, we would be as smart as a coffee maker. We would only be able to perform one task 100% efficiently, but be worth a broke stick at everything else. If we UTILIZE 10%...that does make more sense. I agree we tap into all areas of the brain, but only a certain number of these areas can be functioning at once. Otherwise our brains would be overloaded. I believe some autistic individuals have this dilemma. Their brains can take in loads of info, yet can't respond quickly enough with any kind of reaction to waving a hand in their faces. The brain is literally constipated. I have had no experience with people that have autistic or any other kind of mental disorders to back my statements up. It may even have came up before in this forum, so I guess I'll shut my yapper now.

Along with the personal growth aspect of the song, the evolution of the human mind does speak volumes to me. I think Maynard was referring to being able to function on a higher plain while utilizing loaded memory.

Or maybe I'm thinking on a 5th grade science level.......

;/

Inner_Eulogy
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Just posting a meaningless post here to see if I can keep the awesome-est post ever alive

JDParker7
09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I love gumdrops.

And I do want 2 more.

Inner_Eulogy
09-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Kind of lame that my first ever self created thread was this. I was just feeling kind of silly at the moment.

miketh74
09-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Kind of lame that my first ever self created thread was this. I was just feeling kind of silly at the moment.

It would be funny if they stickied it :)