PDA

View Full Version : Heaven and Earth

Sudafed
05-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Suddenly today I started hearing...

"Cut it, high and low, right in two"

I'm not sure if this could be the line but it could make sense in the 'heaven and earth' context of the song.

Take a listen and see if you can hear it too.

Anyway, just wanted some opinions on this line and what it could mean to the song as a whole.

paraflux
05-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I'll have to listen to it again later to see if I hear the same thing.

ObviousParadox
05-21-2006, 12:38 AM
man right after that "cut it" before "right in two" is some of the toughest shit to hear.

Sudafed
05-21-2006, 11:24 AM
man right after that "cut it" before "right in two" is some of the toughest shit to hear.

I agree. The day after I posted this, I didn't hear it the same again. Now it sounds different every day.

fulmination
05-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I don't know what I hear in there. I've been thinking it might be "cutting my love right in two", but "high and low" also sounds right. When are the official lyrics coming out?

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't know, I think you guys may be a bit too far down the rabbit hole and getting lost in all the effects on Maynard's voice. The "high and low" bit seems to imply two cuts on the initial whole, and would imply that the thing is cut right in three rather than two. Also, the "low" portion would also suggest that hell is a part of god's Love, and I don't necessarily buy that either. My best suggestion at this point is, "Cutting my love right in two." The Sky, the Earth, and everything in between are considered in Christian mythology to be an expression of god's love. "Where there's one you're bound to divide it right in two." The use of the generic term "one" seems to me to be parallel to the use of the generic variable, x, in algebra. Thus, what is true for "one" is true for everything. Since "everything" and "god's love" are synonomous, it seems to me that at this point, god is singing the blues because (in keeping with the theme of Christian mythology), his children must divide- and thus conquer- the gifts that he has given us. Quite a tragedy when one considers that if we- AS ONE- accepted these gifts- ALSO AS ONE- we would have enough to live and love in plenty and in luxury for time immemorial . . .

But I digress . . .

I think that given all the interference created by the effects on Maynard's voice; the soft timbre which Maynard uses to deliver the lyric; and the suddenly rising dynamic of the guitar; this is a situation that calls for (duh-dada-dah) Occam's Razor (Applause! Aplauso! Applaudissements! Рукоплескание! 박수!)! The principle is often expressed in Latin as, "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem," which translates to, "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity." Furthermore, when multiple competing theories have equal predictive powers, the principle recommends selecting those that introduce the fewest assumptions and postulate the fewest hypothetical entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.* Simply stated, the best solution is often the simplest solution- or Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS). So maybe all of this analysis is a bit much . . .

I'm not saying don't do it, just take it with a grain of salt.

* The portion appearing in bold is taken from Wikipedia, slightly altered for correct punctuation and placement in the new context.

BlanketEffect
05-21-2006, 11:30 PM
I've tried to make out seperate words... I'm not so sure it isn't just him saying "Cut/Cutting it all right in two" with nothing in the middle and that's just how he's enunciating the syllables to go along with the music.

Untamed
05-22-2006, 12:56 AM

I feel the same way. For some reason when I sing along I just sing

"Cut it right all, right in two"

Makes no sense but I have a blast singing it regardless.