PDA

View Full Version : what is this sample from?

theDEXorphan
05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
i don't know if this has been answered yet, but i would like to know where this sample is from. please help shed some light on this for me?

Muladhara
05-18-2006, 03:01 PM
What sample? If you mean the voices, I think Tool recorded them especially.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 03:09 PM
aye, i have to agree with muladhara here, I think that the voices were recrded especailly for the album

Heinz Fitzvelvet
05-18-2006, 03:15 PM
I also think the lines were recorded for the album, but the first time I heard them, I was reminded of the movie "Stay." The scene where the student shows up at the Dr.'s office the first time.

theDEXorphan
05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
yeh but, kabir said it was a movie sample in his review. was he mistaken? i personally would believe it was recorded especially, but they do have access to movies i might not have heard of b4. i don't know. i'm just curious. if it was recorded for them then why not play it at the concerts? it would be verry simple to do and would make the begining of the concert that much more epic. maby they could only get the rights for the cd version and couldn't or didn't bother to get permission for the concert.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 04:40 PM
yeh but, kabir said it was a movie sample in his review. was he mistaken? i personally would believe it was recorded especially, but they do have access to movies i might not have heard of b4. i don't know. i'm just curious. if it was recorded for them then why not play it at the concerts? it would be verry simple to do and would make the begining of the concert that much more epic. maby they could only get the rights for the cd version and couldn't or didn't bother to get permission for the concert.

kabir only sugested that it might be from a film, he didnt actually know. I think that playing it live might actaully be a bit tacky

theDEXorphan
05-20-2006, 05:28 AM
kabir only sugested that it might be from a film, he didnt actually know. I think that playing it live might actaully be a bit tacky

wasn't that the point? haha
i actually think it would be really great.

Vondruke
05-20-2006, 08:54 PM
if it were from a film, there would have to be a credit due to copyright laws.

That's the way I've always understood it.

AEnimaTOOLer
05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
im pretty sure its from "Planet of the Apes"...the original of course.

ramiel
05-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Doctor is actually speaking with some sort of European accent? Just wondering. I looked everywhere to see if this has been brought up, but I figured it'd belong here since we're on the subject of movies, and perhaps focusing on the voice itself may provide some clues.

theDEXorphan
05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
yeh... it's pretty obvious that hes british or sumptin. i didn't think it needed to be said.

OGT from back in the day
05-21-2006, 05:25 PM
he isnt british, he is australian

Vondruke
05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
im pretty sure its from "Planet of the Apes"...the original of course.

Uh, NO.

OGT from back in the day
05-22-2006, 06:15 PM
ya i think the guy was joking about the planet of the apes thing, i could be wrong though, he might have been serious

zol
05-23-2006, 02:30 AM
he isnt british, he is australian

Here we go again :)

It isn't a pure Australian or British accent. It's like a combination of both but more London-based if anything...

theDEXorphan
05-23-2006, 03:33 PM

It isn't a pure Australian or British accent. It's like a combination of both but more London-based if anything...

thanks for your insight.

we still have no clue where this conversation came from though.
will we ever know?
does anybody REALLY care?
i just thinks its a good topic based in reality.
i needed something based in reality after probing this message board:)

Vondruke
05-23-2006, 08:31 PM
ya i think the guy was joking about the planet of the apes thing, i could be wrong though, he might have been serious

Yeah, in the context of some of the things I've read on this forum and the abscense of wit, I took it seriously. I don't mean that as an insult but it wasn't funny, I mean someone could easily think that, sci-fi movie, Taylor can't speak for a large portion of the beginning of the movie, the doctors do 'quiz' him. That said, it doesn't fit at all, so whatever...... not my fault :)

Drawn Under
05-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Here's an idea. I beleive that tool's tour manager is Australian or at least has the accent. Could they have had him do this part? Because an example is like pink floyd used to sample many people that were in the studio especially during Darkside of the Moon. So maybe they sampled their tour manager? Well just another idea.

erazorhead
05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
when the doctor asks the patient's name, it kinda sounds like the nurse says "denozo", anyone seen ncis? i hate the show, but always seem to see it coz my girlfriend likes it. maybe maynard is playing the asshole from ncis. just wanted to bring it up and thought i'd put it in a thread worthy of the thought

Koan
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
I think they just recorded it. Doesn't sound like a sample to me, as it fits in perfectly with Rosetta Stoned.

OGT from back in the day
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM

i kno many british people and it is not british, i talk to brits everyday, and there was a guy in another thread that was australian and he said it wasnt british, he said it was australian

zol
05-25-2006, 12:31 AM
i kno many british people and it is not british, i talk to brits everyday, and there was a guy in another thread that was australian and he said it wasnt british, he said it was australian

It's really a point that could be 'argued' forever. Cos even though I say it's not an Aussie accent it's a big land we got here and the accents vary (very much like in the states although not as extreme). It's definitely not a pure Aussie accent is all I can say.

But you know, people be travellin' a lot these days. I spent a year in London and got shit for my slight accent and lingo when I got home. Maybe one day we'll get the answer, then again maybe not?

Max T.
05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I would think that Tool made it up themselves.

Parallel
05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
The poor patient is panting like a rabid dog.

As for the Denozo thing... I thought she said "no, sir"

Elgyn
05-25-2006, 06:57 PM
If it was adapted from a film, I'd hate to see the acting on screen..

Here's what I think it sounds like. (http://stashbox.org/uploads/1148612117/lost%20keys.wav)

zol
05-26-2006, 12:56 AM
The poor patient is panting like a rabid dog.

As for the Denozo thing... I thought she said "no, sir"

You would be correct.

erazorhead
05-26-2006, 06:07 PM
You would be correct.

yeah, thats what it originally sounded like to me, but once i started hearing it as denozo...

its probably not spelled like that anyway, not that it matters, Di Nozo?

theDEXorphan
05-27-2006, 06:18 AM
yeah, thats what it originally sounded like to me, but once i started hearing it as denozo...

its probably not spelled like that anyway, not that it matters, Di Nozo?

ummm...
it's definatly no sir.

Lysander
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I had an interesting experience with this song once, in particular the nurse's voice. I'm going to listen to it again to see if I can recreate it, but I don't think I will. I was listening to it for, while not the first time, about hte second or third time, through noise-canceling headphones on a flight while I was stoned, and when it got to the part where the nurse spoke, I had the feeling that she seemed to be really, really upset about what had happened but was trying to keep it back. However, it was really intermittant. Still, in specifically listening for it now (in a "rational" state of mind), she seems to me like she might be choking on some sort of emotion when she clears her throat to say "A gentlemen in Exam three..." I'd say, though, that it's rather difficult to tell for sure because of all the background that makes details such as this hard to positively identify. Still, someone might want to listen for it and decide whether I have something useful or if I'm going creamilly insane.

Dolophane
06-09-2006, 06:22 PM
if it were from a film, there would have to be a credit due to copyright laws.

That's the way I've always understood it.
I think this needs to be reitereated.

Unless it's from some movie that Tool themselves made, and even then I'd figure they'd credit it if only to confuse their fans, they would have to credit where they took the sample from. Only real logical conclusion one could reach would be that they recorded it themselves, likely with friends or managers or whatever as was stated before, because there are no voice actors listed for that song in the credits.

Oddman
06-14-2006, 07:54 AM
I had an interesting experience with this song once, in particular the nurse's voice. I'm going to listen to it again to see if I can recreate it, but I don't think I will. I was listening to it for, while not the first time, about hte second or third time, through noise-canceling headphones on a flight while I was stoned, and when it got to the part where the nurse spoke, I had the feeling that she seemed to be really, really upset about what had happened but was trying to keep it back. However, it was really intermittant. Still, in specifically listening for it now (in a "rational" state of mind), she seems to me like she might be choking on some sort of emotion when she clears her throat to say "A gentlemen in Exam three..." I'd say, though, that it's rather difficult to tell for sure because of all the background that makes details such as this hard to positively identify. Still, someone might want to listen for it and decide whether I have something useful or if I'm going creamilly insane.

Wow, thats pretty interesting, however when your stoned (imo) you do "realise" things about people talking, and reacting and communicating that you otherwise wouldnt realise. I remember watching tv and thinking how every single show was so utterly fake. Even when conversing with friends i thought i knew when people were saying things and meaning other things and i generaly thought i could see though everything's lies... Maybe thats what you were thinking. hmm

Lysander
06-21-2006, 02:04 PM
The funny thing is that I listen to it now and I suspect it was more just bad acting on the part of the nurse, heh.

vodka_mv
06-25-2006, 04:45 AM
I think it sounds like the Australian doctor from the TV show "House MD".

It sounds like an aussie accent but a little mixed, possibly a little yank thrown in.

formerlycontent
06-25-2006, 05:23 AM
I think it sounds like the Australian doctor from the TV show "House MD".

It sounds like an aussie accent but a little mixed, possibly a little yank thrown in.

i thought the same thing

implandnoises
06-25-2006, 08:42 AM
I'll tell you what it is:

Late one night, as the band and 'Evil' Joe Barresi were laying down the final tracks for the instrumental song Lost Keys, Maynard suddenly had an idea.

He said, "Listen guys, keep going, I am gonna go out for a minute. When I come back I will lay down a vocal track for this song."

Adam protests, "Nah dude, this was meant to be instruments only! Fuck man, you always get the limelight..."

"Don't get your panties in a twist Adam!" said Maynard. "Anyway, I won't be singing, I am gonna get someone else."

"Well, who the fuck are you gonna get at this time of night?"

"Trust me. Be patient." said Maynard as he left the room.

"Fuckin' tool..." Adam whispered under his breath as he got back to his effects pedals and stereoscopic photography kit.

Outside, Maynard cruised the streets and the back alleys until he found what he was looking for. There in the darkness of a run down parking building he saw a beatup station wagon rocking gently from side to side.

"GOOD FUCKING EVENING!!" Maynard yelled as he thumped his fist on the roof of the car. This caused a commotion from inside the vehicle and a monster of a man, all six foot seven of him, stepped out into the cold. He was naked from head to toe.

"What the fuck do you want?" the man said in a weathered aussie accent. At this point, the hooker he had been entertaining got out of the car, bundled up her belongings and got ready to make the old twenty-three skidoo.

"HEY TRICKY! WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?" Maynard screamed at the girl. "I have got a job for you. A job for the both of you actually."

"I don't give a FUCK what you got, MIDGET!" The tall Australian swung his tree trunk arm towards Maynard's bald, mini-me head. Maynard stepped in and below the punch and thrust his shoulders into the taller man's abdomen. As the man groaned out a large portion of air from his lungs, Maynard pushed on up and threw the giant over his shoulders. The man crashed to the ground, landing on his back. Maynard immediately rushed for the girl as he saw her running for her life. He caught up with her and grabbed hold of her ponytail, pulling her painfully to a halt with it.

"I said, I have a job for you."

Back at the studio, Justin was telling Adam about that time he found a red pube on the soap in the shower of their million-dollar tour bus.

"Yeah man, I couldn't fuckin' work it out, eh?" He said to Adam. "I mean, it had to be one of the four of us, yeah? But none of us has red fuckin' hair, right?"

"Yeah, exactly! Hahahaha!" said Danny.

"Yeah, yeah, but then I figured it out, right? It had to be that fuckin' tool Maynard again!"

"Fuckin' Maynard and his wigs!" said Adam. "I will never work out why he has to go so 'method actor' with his costumes..."

"That's some funny shit!" said 'Evil' Joe Barresi

"Yeah, good old fuckin' Maynard, always the fuckin' comedian..." Justin said.

"Did somebody say my name?" Maynard walked in the door followed by two zombie-like characters. The tall naked Australian and the LA hooker greeted the room with a monotone unison: "Spiral out."

"Oh Jesus, Maynard, what the fuck have you done this time?" said Adam. Justin and Danny just shook their heads in disbelief.

"Come on guys! Lighten up!" said Maynard excitedly. "Look, I have this great idea, I have it all worked out. I have a whole movie script going through my head and these two are perfect for the supporting roles." He looked at the zombie couple, "Tell them who you are, you remember right? Go on."

"I am a doctor." said the tall naked Australian.

"I am a nurse." said the glassy-eyed street walker.

"See, " said Maynard, "they love it! Set up two more vocal mics Joe, they're almost ready to do a take!"

UFOtofu
06-25-2006, 10:09 AM
legally speaking:

what if the dialogue is from a book? would that have to be credited also? (probably ?)

I'm just wondering why this song paints such a specific picture, when it seems to just be an intro/set up for the next track. Perhaps if it is a published story, knowing that story would shed some light on it.

swampyfool
06-25-2006, 12:36 PM
It's really a point that could be 'argued' forever. Cos even though I say it's not an Aussie accent it's a big land we got here and the accents vary (very much like in the states although not as extreme). It's definitely not a pure Aussie accent is all I can say.

But you know, people be travellin' a lot these days. I spent a year in London and got shit for my slight accent and lingo when I got home. Maybe one day we'll get the answer, then again maybe not?
Maybe he's an Australian doctor practicing in the States . . ?

theDEXorphan
06-25-2006, 04:17 PM
implandnoises' post is great. i'll take that as an aswer.

Lysander
06-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Best post evarr~

thomasknight
07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
sounds like some british gangster film, like Jason Statham,

johumuthiga
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I'll tell you what it is:

Late one night, as the band and 'Evil' Joe Barresi were laying down the final tracks for the instrumental song Lost Keys, Maynard suddenly had an idea.

He said, "Listen guys, keep going, I am gonna go out for a minute. When I come back I will lay down a vocal track for this song."

Adam protests, "Nah dude, this was meant to be instruments only! Fuck man, you always get the limelight..."

"Don't get your panties in a twist Adam!" said Maynard. "Anyway, I won't be singing, I am gonna get someone else."

"Well, who the fuck are you gonna get at this time of night?"

"Trust me. Be patient." said Maynard as he left the room.

"Fuckin' tool..." Adam whispered under his breath as he got back to his effects pedals and stereoscopic photography kit.

Outside, Maynard cruised the streets and the back alleys until he found what he was looking for. There in the darkness of a run down parking building he saw a beatup station wagon rocking gently from side to side.

"GOOD FUCKING EVENING!!" Maynard yelled as he thumped his fist on the roof of the car. This caused a commotion from inside the vehicle and a monster of a man, all six foot seven of him, stepped out into the cold. He was naked from head to toe.

"What the fuck do you want?" the man said in a weathered aussie accent. At this point, the hooker he had been entertaining got out of the car, bundled up her belongings and got ready to make the old twenty-three skidoo.

"HEY TRICKY! WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?" Maynard screamed at the girl. "I have got a job for you. A job for the both of you actually."

"I don't give a FUCK what you got, MIDGET!" The tall Australian swung his tree trunk arm towards Maynard's bald, mini-me head. Maynard stepped in and below the punch and thrust his shoulders into the taller man's abdomen. As the man groaned out a large portion of air from his lungs, Maynard pushed on up and threw the giant over his shoulders. The man crashed to the ground, landing on his back. Maynard immediately rushed for the girl as he saw her running for her life. He caught up with her and grabbed hold of her ponytail, pulling her painfully to a halt with it.

"I said, I have a job for you."

Back at the studio, Justin was telling Adam about that time he found a red pube on the soap in the shower of their million-dollar tour bus.

"Yeah man, I couldn't fuckin' work it out, eh?" He said to Adam. "I mean, it had to be one of the four of us, yeah? But none of us has red fuckin' hair, right?"

"Yeah, exactly! Hahahaha!" said Danny.

"Yeah, yeah, but then I figured it out, right? It had to be that fuckin' tool Maynard again!"

"Fuckin' Maynard and his wigs!" said Adam. "I will never work out why he has to go so 'method actor' with his costumes..."

"That's some funny shit!" said 'Evil' Joe Barresi

"Yeah, good old fuckin' Maynard, always the fuckin' comedian..." Justin said.

"Did somebody say my name?" Maynard walked in the door followed by two zombie-like characters. The tall naked Australian and the LA hooker greeted the room with a monotone unison: "Spiral out."

"Oh Jesus, Maynard, what the fuck have you done this time?" said Adam. Justin and Danny just shook their heads in disbelief.

"Come on guys! Lighten up!" said Maynard excitedly. "Look, I have this great idea, I have it all worked out. I have a whole movie script going through my head and these two are perfect for the supporting roles." He looked at the zombie couple, "Tell them who you are, you remember right? Go on."

"I am a doctor." said the tall naked Australian.

"I am a nurse." said the glassy-eyed street walker.

"See, " said Maynard, "they love it! Set up two more vocal mics Joe, they're almost ready to do a take!"

Hahahahaha. Wow that is hilarious. But on another note, the first time I heard lost keys I actually thought that the doctor was Justin. That would also explain why now credit was given in the liner notes.

Shaz
07-06-2006, 10:48 PM
In my opinion, the nurse sounds freakin hawt dood.

Ambival
07-20-2006, 04:12 AM
IMO it's clearly a very strong Australian accent. Nothing else mixed in.
His voice is kinda soothing to the patient, but also in a comical way.

Lysander
07-20-2006, 08:23 PM
This thread shoulda been closed right after the skit post. I mean, how are we supposed to top that?

implandnoises
07-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Sorry...

theDEXorphan
07-23-2006, 07:25 AM
is it imp-land-noises or im-planed-noises? or maby i'm-plan-d-no-is-es?

implandnoises
07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
is it imp-land-noises or im-planed-noises? or maby i'm-plan-d-no-is-es?
imp land noises

Someone once mistook it for "implanted noises" which I thought was quite cool. But it has to be only the letters I have given, no more no less. If you can figure out why, I would be very impressed.

NukeAJS
07-25-2006, 01:05 AM
To use a sample that long would require credit and legal permission.

I love the assumed patient crying the whole time and how it gets louder as the track goes on ... very unnerving.

stoPMe
07-28-2006, 01:24 AM
howdy
Blair stated in his newsletter: "All I can tell you is that the dialogue is not from a film clip as many have claimed, and that the two people doing the voice over are well known to readers of this site."
So now... who's the person that we all know well? Santa? GWB? JFK? WTF? :)

Cashie
07-28-2006, 03:02 AM
the doctor is BLAIR
What a cockhead.

michael127
08-02-2006, 04:30 AM
i reckon its Sasha from Butcher (an Aussie) doing the doctor and one of those girls that Blair always goes on about....Kat or something. Blair confirmed it in the July newsletter that it wasnt a film and that the people doing the voices were known to readers of Toolband

implandnoises
08-02-2006, 07:15 AM
i reckon its Sasha from Butcher (an Aussie) doing the doctor and one of those girls that Blair always goes on about....Kat or something. Blair confirmed it in the July newsletter that it wasnt a film and that the people doing the voices were known to readers of Toolband
I think you are right about Sasha - I knew there was someone who was Australian in that BMB crew, just couldn't remember who. Could be Camella as the nurse, who knows?

tiryth
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
What sample? If you mean the voices, I think Tool recorded them especially.

If you look at the newsletter on the tool site Blair says its not samples