PDA

View Full Version : Jambi and Jimmy . . .

swampyfool
05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Has anybody else noticed the extreme, lyrical parallels between Jambi and Jimmy? Both songs speak of incandescence in times of separation with a pending rendezvouz over the horizon. (I'm a human fucking thesaurus.)

Jambi:
"Shine on forever,
Shine on benevolent sun/son.

Shine down upon the broken,
Shine on 'til the two become one.

Shine on forever,
Shine on benevolent sun/son

Shine down upon the severed,
Shine on 'til the two become one.

Divided I'm witherin' away.
Divided I'm witherin' away.

Shine down upon the many,
Light our way, benevolent sun/son . . ."

Jimmy:
". . . Hold your light, eleven.
Lead me through each gentle step by step
By inch by loaded memory.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

Hold your light, eleven.
Lead me through each gentle step by step
By inch by loaded memory
'Till one and one are one, eleven,
So glow, child, glow."

Just something on which I've had fun chewing.

swampyfool
05-17-2006, 07:33 PM
C'mon guys, doesn't anybody have anything to say about this?

I mean . . .

Bump

jim39n
05-18-2006, 12:14 AM
good point...maybe this song is actually about his child self...somehow it feels to me like this song is about something more external...and more spiritual

Kurt Russell
05-18-2006, 03:41 AM
Well dude, you could also try adding something yourself rather than just posting the lyrics and essentially saying "someone else do it".

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Touche.

I just noticed this parallel and decidd to post. As you may or may not have noticed, I'm kinda new to this board. I am begunnung to research these similarities, but I just thought that I would post these similarities in the mean time to see if anybody else had noticed it and if so, what were their thoughts on the connection.

But still, touche.

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 08:03 AM
All right Messina, here's one thought. Jimmy would seem to have as a central theme the fracturing of his relationship with his mother, which in turned caused a fracturing of his young mind.

(separation for mom)
Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home.

(separation from himself)
I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

Basically, I think that the similarities between Jambi and Jimmy at the very least support the idea that the Jambi storyline is influenced by his feelings for his mother. Any takers?

technicalbull
05-18-2006, 07:07 PM
defintly i agree.......ive said i think that he sees his mother with her "savior" in heaven......shining down on him "as 2 become 1" and "breathe in union"......but in the end he continues to reject her savior and his ideals " silently stay away".

Rodney Ashley
05-19-2006, 12:58 PM
YYYYYYYYeeeeeeeesssss!!!!!!!
It has now dawned upon me!!!! Or least I think it has...My ideas of this song have morphed so many times... but....here it is... In both Jimmy and jambi Maynard is singing....or...playing the role of his mother...his mother is speaking throughout these songs......his mother is "telling the tail" "singing the song"... Maynard is the "son" Judith will move to heal as soon as pain allows so mother and son can "reunite and both move on together"

varialbender
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I've made that connection, and my guess is so have more, though I'm glad you did, as most people seem to immediately assume it's about his son.

As for Jimmy being told by his mother, I'd have to disagree, and say that it's being told from the part of him that is separated from the other part because of that event.

Anyway, check this thread out for a similar comparison:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=47331

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Alright. This is kinda random, but 100% coincidentally relevant so bear with me.

Last night I watched a foreign film "La Charme Dscret de la Bourgoisie," a film which I highly recomend if you can handle the subtitular action. Anyway, at one point in the movie, three upper-class French ladies are in a cafe waiting for their tea, when an under-lieutenant in the French army asks if he might join them. As he sits, he inquires as to the happiness of childhood in each of his new tablemates. The first two tell him that their childhoods were wonderful, and the third (the youngest of the three and the younger sister of one of the other two) says that her childhood was miserable- but given the rest of the plot, one can determine that she is overemphasising her case. After hearing this, the enlisted man tells his fellow cafe-goers that his was a tragedy, and he begins to recount a story from when he was ELEVEN . . .

We see a boy, aged eleven, being fitted for a military uniform, when he is sent for (through a maid) by his father. He enters his father's office, where his father informs him that since his mother is dead, he will be attending military school. Discipline will be harsh, but he had better do the family name proud. With this the boy is dismissed, and he walks off down the hall where he sees, through a window into an adjacent room, his dead mother. He quickly runs to the door of said room, enters through it, only to find it empty. He begins to write on the mirror in lipstick, "Maman, Je T-" when he is interupted by a sharp sound behind him. (I assume that he was intending to write, "Maman, Je Te Amor" {sp} which would mean, "Mama, I love you," but . . .)

He turns around to see that the double doors of the closet have been violently thrown open. He walks toward him as he hears the voice of his mother calling him closer. She tells him that she loves him. Then she goes onto say that the man he knows as his father is not actually his father. She then shows him the spectre of a military man with a gory gunshot wound to his left eye. She tells him that is his real father- she was deeply in love with this man, and his father-in-name-only killed him in a duel. She then instructs the boy to kill the imposter with poison; telling him where he will find the poison, and how and when best to administer it. She finishes by telling him that it is his mother's final request to her beloved son. He complies, and that night, as the imposter suffers his final agonies, the boy's mother and her long dead mother watch in emotionless silence . . .

I realize that this does not transmute directly to the plot of either Jimmy or Jambi, but I found it quite eerie that I would see such a strangely tangential movie so soon after starting a serious lyrical comparison of the two songs. I also realize that this is more about Jimmy than Jambi . . . but I wanted people to read this, so . . .

pryedopen
05-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I just have to say i'm shocked to see the name of he who started this thread... I am pryedopen my friend...

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Oooookaaaayyy . . .

I guess that you don't think there's room to share . . .

"Well let me be the first to <pop> that bubble of yours, there . . ."

<pop>