PDA

View Full Version : Something new....

AMF
05-17-2006, 02:03 PM
The Christian imagery brought up in this song clearly relates to his mother's devout belief in a God who for all intents and purposes deserted her and left her crippled most of her life. The recurrence of the theme of religion (specifically Chrstianity) in many of Maynard lyrics shows that he had some deep seeded roots with all of this and how his mother's death affectd it. "Eleven is there and will be waiting, defending his light and wondering..." The light......did Maynard lose a faith he once had at 11 when his mother died? I now see Opiate (the song of course) in a different perspective, as well as another possible gap or split for Maynard that my buddy 'blackandwhite' brought up in another thread: the split between Maynard and his father= the Father and the Son of humanity. Another reason for the wide use of Christian-related lyrics? "We BOTH want/To rape you." Maynard was raped by his dad at a young age. One could say that "God" or religion in a sense 'raped' Maynard as well by taking his wonderful mother from him which left a deep scar for the rest of his life. Perhaps SHE was his light too? This is all a jumbled mess, and I know I'm not a very coherent typer, but let's try to make a playlist to piece the story together:

1.) Opiate
2.) Prison Sex
3.) Eulogy
4.) Jimmy
5.) Pushit
6.) Judith
7.) Wings For Marie/10,000 Days

I dunno, just try it and see what you think. A number of other songs could possibly fit the mold indirectly as well (Jerkoff, H, Jambi, maybe???) but these would make the most sense. It's not like a clear cut unfolding, but in short.......there seems to be a correlation in some songs between Maynard, religion, his family situation, and how they have affected his life. His story seems to be here for us to 'vicariously' live through, and a vehice for it to communicate and let out some of his anger and pain inside. Music is one of the best ways to get that out.

Anyways, just shoot thoughts out your thoughts at me, I wanna see what you guys think and maybe if someone who kinda feels me here can eloquate it better than I have. Thanks.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
ur just specualting, how do u know that maynard was raped by his dad? I hear that he gets on with his dad very well and visits home as often as possible. Also him mom died in 2003, not when Maynard was 11, more like when he was about 39.

and really ur just saying what everyone else ahs already said.

not a "flame" just observation please take no offence at this

AMF
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
ur just specualting, how do u know that maynard was raped by his dad? I hear that he gets on with his dad very well and visits home as often as possible. Also him mom died in 2003, not when Maynard was 11, more like when he was about 39.

and really ur just saying what everyone else ahs already said.

not a "flame" just observation please take no offence at this

By "died" I meant that is when she, I guess, died to living, if that makes sense. She was paralyzed and immobile from the time he was 11 how about. I haven't read yet where someone has related this to the Son/Father thing, can you point me to a specific post perhaps?