PDA

View Full Version : Paul on AEnima

xyu
05-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok, I had this question for years. Which songs from Aenima did Tool record with Paul? I know it is Pushit from Salival liner notes. Which else?

dissonance19
05-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Justin joined in '96 right? I'm pretty sure Paul helped write stinkfist, eulogy, h., pushit (aenima version), and hooker with a penis. Which is surprising cuz it's most of aenima. Not sure he actually "recorded" his part with them. But if you go to youtube and do a search with the names and 1995, you'll see live videos of them performed before they even were released on aenima.

Set lists late in '94 also seem to have some of the songs on em too.

xyu
05-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Paul is not in the record? I didn't know this. Tool are confusing as by puting anywhere "written by Tool"

dissonance19
05-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Paul is not in the record? I didn't know this. Tool are confusing as by puting anywhere "written by Tool"

Well, no, I'm not sure if he did actually record the songs. I just know they he helped write the ones I mentioned. It was a yr or 2 before Justin was there when performed live.

But does it say on Aenima's liner notes? They would have to give him credit if he recorded them wouldn't they? Maybe Justin redid Paul's parts?

xyu
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, if Paul did wrote all the bass parts on these songs then I may someday actually buy this Lusk cd!

dissonance19
05-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Well, if Paul did wrote all the bass parts on these songs then I may someday actually buy this Lusk cd!

Managed to find this interview with Maynard from 96

http://toolshed.down.net/articles/text/mindview.nov.96.html

"Did the departure of bass-player Paul D'amour (September '95), due to
musical differences of opinion, had anything to do with it?

Look, we wrote in another direction as he did. Paul has his own band
(Lusk) and that's something completely different as Tool. It took us
three months to find a suitable bass-player. We ended up with Justin
Chanceller. He played in the British band Peach. They once were our
support-act. Justin and Paul have a simular style but Paul was a
guitarist who played bass and Justin is a real bass-player.

Paul's name doesn't appear in the thankslist although he is
responsible for songs like "Pushit", "Stinkfist", "Eulogy" and
"Aenima".

Yep"

Guess, he did more than I heard for this album. Also says he left in sept '95, so he wasn't there for the recording then.

xyu
05-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the help

slicknickshady
05-17-2006, 07:20 PM
paul is a great bass players=. the 2nd best all time behind Justin Chancellor.

AEnimaTOOLer
05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
paul is a great bass players=. the 2nd best all time behind Justin Chancellor.

im going to go with doubtful on that one.

ps. good luck comin back from that 3-1 deficit

moneyisevil
05-28-2006, 01:45 PM
i have a bootleg from 94 where paul goes "we're gonna have a special guest play bass on this next song..us bassist's are very fragile" or something to that extent, and it was actually JUSTIN!!! who subbed in for sober!!! if only he had known what was to come..

but yeah i also have bootlegs from early 95 where they play stinkfist, eulogy, h, and pushit and maybe another song that obviously paul helped write...i deffinatley think paul is underated cuz he deff. helped give tool their distinct sound....and im glad justin matched it quite well

Shinji
06-27-2007, 05:23 AM
The songs Paul worked on are "Stinkfist", "Eulogy", "H.", "Pushit" and "Ænema". They were almost finish when Justin joined the band.

Sea of Lies
08-11-2007, 10:11 PM
The songs Paul worked on are "Stinkfist", "Eulogy", "H.", "Pushit" and "Ænema". They were almost finish when Justin joined the band.

No, H wasn't one of them.

hobbitcore
09-27-2007, 06:20 AM
there's a demo they recorded with Paul on bass that you can download here: http://www.geocities.com/toolmilitia/raretool.htm

Trelectron
10-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Look guys, ive been a huuuuge Tool fan for over a decade and to be honest its been about 2 years since i found out there was another bass player before justin who was paul of course. ive been stuck with the aenima album since then (when i thought there was only justin) cos in my opinion its one of the best records of any genres worldwide even today and its the very true. justin is awesome on aenima album. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTT!!!!!!!!
For a year now ive been able to obtain lots of Tool shows from 92-07 and im stuck with the shows 92-95 thats is with Paul on bass. ive got one thing to say people, even though i love Justin cos he is just one of best and most creative bass players ever, i must admit that the absolute Tool was Tool when Paul played with them, folks who have seen Tool Live or on vid 92-95 will understand what i mean. and the excuse for his departure from the band -> "creative differences"!!!!!! is just full of crap. i think something else happened and the band just found an excuse in order not to damage the bands unity and name, just becos not only Tool is not an ordinary band, but cos its a very unique one. what i mean is, lombardo leaving slayer and paul leaving Tool is a totally different issue.
Firstly, concerning Paul being experimental is just bullshit just becos Tool have aaaaaalways been an experimental band even from Opiate, and both Undertow and Aenima have lots of musical experimentations. Apart from that, Tool have aaaaaaalways played experimental stuff on their Live shows!!!!
Secondly, lets not fotget that Tool is not only maynard and what Tool have become musically and mentally, is thanx to everybody in the band. there wldnt be Tool without Carey or Jones and definitely without Paul and his aggressive behavour and playing. just look at Paul playing Live!!!!! he was just outstanding, aggressive and so deep when he had to be. the guy has written best Tool album, Undertow that is. and almost all of Aenima is written by him as well. SO, WHAT THE FCK ELSE DO U WANT???????????? U dont just leave your band when u r on top of your career and especially when you are one of Tool, cmon guys, dont be so naive! I see Paul play live and he is sooooooooooo into it! there was something else and not the bloody "creative differences".
To end up, with Justin Tool became deeper and more sophisticated. but with Paul D'amour Tool was what they used to be -> TOOL that is. ive got nothing else to say...

Aenima7988
10-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Ha, I never knew he helped write some of the songs on AEnima, I always associated the bass on that with "the Justin sound"

Since both bassists ended up playing the same songs, and we think Justin recorded them, I'm wondering- did Paul know Justin was gonna be replacing him? Cause I saw a very weird video of Tool playing Disgustipated live (sounds nothing like disgustipated) and it's Paul on the mic saying what sounds like "Justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt"
that really doesn't make sense though, cause the story is that Paul left Tool and they were forced to replace him, not hte other way around.

Trelectron
10-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Ha, I never knew he helped write some of the songs on AEnima, I always associated the bass on that with "the Justin sound"

Since both bassists ended up playing the same songs, and we think Justin recorded them, I'm wondering- did Paul know Justin was gonna be replacing him? Cause I saw a very weird video of Tool playing Disgustipated live (sounds nothing like disgustipated) and it's Paul on the mic saying what sounds like "Justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt justin is a cunt"
that really doesn't make sense though, cause the story is that Paul left Tool and they were forced to replace him, not hte other way around.

I saw that part too, it does sound like "Justin is a cunt" but im not sure. though even if he does say that i doubt he means it in a negative way, but just to tease Justin. I doubt there were any talks about paul leaving at that time cos right after that show Tool wrote with Paul the Stinkfist, Pushit, Eulogy and probably even more songs from Aenima. and not only wrote, but until Paul left they were working on them to reach their final studio versions, cos at first they sounded a bit different. Even though i love Justin, on the other hand it makes me a bit sad Paul had to leave. watching him play the bass was like watching Maynard sing, so sick, so wicked, so TOOL.....

1350 Days
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Just some stuff when browsing through the concert section of TDN:
"

They played their new song that was written with Justin, it's called
"Half Empty".

1. Stink Fist
2. Bottom
3. Push It
4. Sober
5. Half Empty
6. Prison Sex
7. Aenema
8. Intolerance
9. Eulogy
(Encore)
10. Crawl Away"

So H was written with Justin. And now we know what it stands for.

Some moar info:
"Here is a quick little info for you. They played five new songs,
the same at both shows (and the bakersfield on as well I've heard).
They are titled: Stink Fist, Eulogy (or Mega), Half Empty (which
is dedicated to Paul as Maynard said), Enema (which is fucking
awsome), and Push It (very good as well)."
Just so you know:
Stink Fist=Stinkfist (duh)
Push It= Pushit (again, duh)
Enema= Ænema (once again, duh)
Half Empty= H

More to come...

Trelectron
10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Justin joined in '96 right? I'm pretty sure Paul helped write stinkfist, eulogy, h., pushit (aenima version), and hooker with a penis. Which is surprising cuz it's most of aenima. Not sure he actually "recorded" his part with them. But if you go to youtube and do a search with the names and 1995, you'll see live videos of them performed before they even were released on aenima.

Set lists late in '94 also seem to have some of the songs on em too.

who can confirm that paul co-wrote Hooker with a penis and H.? Any help would be invaluable

darshun
10-24-2007, 12:04 AM
The only proof is in the pudding, which there are only demos of Pushit, Stinkfist, Aenima & Eulogy. However there may be DAT tapes that Danny's holding onto with more D'amour demos lying around the lodge... I guess we gotta wait till after they retire and release a rarities boxset of some sort...

Angel on the Sideline
10-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Paul didn't write H. or Hooker with a Penis. As Darsuh said, there are for demos: Aenima, Stinkfist, Pushit and Eulogy. It's really interesting to hear them and compare the lyrics, most notably on Pushit, to the lyrics that made the album.

Trelectron
10-24-2007, 05:50 AM
i guess this question can be answered only either by Tool themselves or somebody who is a friend with Tool, someone who really knows. because it is known from various demos and video bootlegs that are available, that Paul did for sure Aenima, Stinkfist, Pushit and Eulogy. but the issue here is that what if Paul really did co-write more tracks from Aenima but they were never recorded? or maybe recorded but never leaked out? it makes sense guys...

Aganar
11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Just some stuff when browsing through the concert section of TDN:
"

They played their new song that was written with Justin, it's called
"Half Empty".

1. Stink Fist
2. Bottom
3. Push It
4. Sober
5. Half Empty
6. Prison Sex
7. Aenema
8. Intolerance
9. Eulogy
(Encore)
10. Crawl Away"

So H was written with Justin. And now we know what it stands for.

Some moar info:
"Here is a quick little info for you. They played five new songs,
the same at both shows (and the bakersfield on as well I've heard).
They are titled: Stink Fist, Eulogy (or Mega), Half Empty (which
is dedicated to Paul as Maynard said), Enema (which is fucking
awsome), and Push It (very good as well)."
Just so you know:
Stink Fist=Stinkfist (duh)
Push It= Pushit (again, duh)
Enema= Ænema (once again, duh)
Half Empty= H

More to come...

Anyone have a recording of that concert?