PDA

View Full Version : How Revealing...

praefector
05-16-2006, 08:32 AM
discussion closed eh?

the jumping off point i had made contained the krux of the discussion in one short statement...apparently i wasnt grandiose enough (?)

anyway, since the original incarnation wasnt good enough:

What are your thoughts on the byte, "TIMMEH", that is clearly audible in the "they fight" part of the song? The theme of the song quite obviously seems to be an objective questioning of the intelligence of human beings who feel the need to fight over and own everything they see.

Timmy of course, is the special-ed child from the TV show South Park. He is only able to say his own name and a couple of other things spread over the episodes.

Do you feel that the inclusion of this sound byte is subtlely adding to the theme of the song by apparently saying that humans are not only "silly monkeys" but also "retarded".

(better, "discussion Mod"; exact same question but using about 2000% more words, does it now fit the requirements?)

CaseLogic
05-16-2006, 08:38 AM
discussion closed eh?

the jumping off point i had made contained the krux of the discussion in one short statement...apparently i wasnt grandiose enough (?)

anyway, since the original incarnation wasnt good enough:

What are your thoughts on the byte, "TIMMEH", that is clearly audible in the "they fight" part of the song? The theme of the song quite obviously seems to be an objective questioning of the intelligence of human beings who feel the need to fight over and own everything they see.

Timmy of course, is the special-ed child from the TV show South Park. He is only able to say his own name and a couple of other things spread over the episodes.

Do you feel that the inclusion of this sound byte is subtlely adding to the theme of the song by apparently saying that humans are not only "silly monkeys" but also "retarded".

(better, "discussion Mod"; exact same question but using about 2000% more words, does it now fit the requirements?)

Oh my god are you serious? That's not a soundbyte from South Park... jesus christ.

praefector
05-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Oh my god are you serious? That's not a soundbyte from South Park... jesus christ.

do you have verifiable evidence that it isnt?

(because i was opposed to this idea when it was first brought up post-leak. id like to be proven wrong and it took me about 40 listens before i decided that this is what it could be)

CaseLogic
05-16-2006, 08:43 AM

(because i was opposed to this idea when it was first brought up post-leak. id like to be proven wrong and it took me about 40 listens before i decided that this is what it could be)

Honestly no, but when I get back home, I'll listen to it again.

I remember when it was brought up, I listened to it and it remotely sounded like "Timmeh!", but not enough for me to actually believe it was both intentional and a direct soundclip from South Park.

praefector
05-16-2006, 08:46 AM
well, ive listened to it repeatedly and it definitely isn't nard and its not a natural sound or something created by an instrument.

the only other option is that it s a soundclip inserted in production.

i refuse to believe this is simply a voice in the recording booth that wasnt picked up. if it appears on the final version of the album it was DEFINITELY intentional.

ataraxia77
05-16-2006, 11:38 AM
It seems that the burden of proof is yours, praefactor. you're entitled to your opinion (which should go without saying but evidently is usually not a given on this forum) but all anyone need do to dismiss your claim is to provide weighty enough falsification, not verification. in fact, if the only thing we have is a consensus on perceptual opinion (which is what you are appealing to- your perception), a majority of opinions to the contrary should be enough falsification and are therefore more right. if most are disagreeing with you (I am among that camp) then you should need to provide the verification- validate the claim with some external evidence. if you appeal to the case as being perceptual, and others disagree, you're automatically proved wrong ipso facto unless you can change the nature of your argument and provide other evidence in support. anyway, that's all.

theprosperone
05-16-2006, 01:24 PM

I can prove it isn't. Its a guitar, hitting a harmonic around the 3rd fret or so with heavy distorion and what sounds like a filter, probably a wahwah being used for that.

I can make the exact sound on my guitar and many have before, its just a guitar.

HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 01:30 PM
When I first heard of the supposed 'Timmy' in this song, I try to hear it every time I listen to the song, yet I have never heard anything remotely sounding like timmy on south park, sorry.

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
I can prove it isn't. Its a guitar, hitting a harmonic around the 3rd fret or so with heavy distorion and what sounds like a filter, probably a wahwah being used for that.

I can make the exact sound on my guitar and many have before, its just a guitar.

nope

slow it down and you can hear the hiss of vocals. a guitar playing a harmonic wont ever hiss like that no matter what kind of effect you put on it.

if you play it at slow speed on your WMP you can hear it clearly

"TIMMEH"

no way in hell is that a guitar.

HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Just an idea, but perhaps the 'hiss' of vocals is simply breathing.

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:34 PM
It seems that the burden of proof is yours, praefactor. you're entitled to your opinion (which should go without saying but evidently is usually not a given on this forum) but all anyone need do to dismiss your claim is to provide weighty enough falsification, not verification. in fact, if the only thing we have is a consensus on perceptual opinion (which is what you are appealing to- your perception), a majority of opinions to the contrary should be enough falsification and are therefore more right. if most are disagreeing with you (I am among that camp) then you should need to provide the verification- validate the claim with some external evidence. if you appeal to the case as being perceptual, and others disagree, you're automatically proved wrong ipso facto unless you can change the nature of your argument and provide other evidence in support. anyway, that's all.

yeah, you make good points here

but the item in question DOES exist in the song. ive listened to it repeatedly and at various speeds with various filters and it is distinctly vocal and im trying my best to figure out what else it could be. suggestions would be welcome. but its definitely not an instrument.

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Just an idea, but perhaps the 'hiss' of vocals is simply breathing.

have you listened to this on slow speed with a filter

i guess its possible that anything im hearing could be a combination of unkown factors...

but it seems like using some pretty sensational logic to avoid the direct conclusion.

eh, whatever, this thread is destined for endless off-topic ramblings instead of what id inteded it for so

BALLSACKBALLSACKRUBMEWITHMAYONAISSEHAIRYBALLSACK

HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately I am at work atm and cannot listen to this song to try again to hear this. While I am all for hidden inside jokes or other subtleties inside of songs, I feel that putting in a mentally challenged cartoon character in this song is just a bit sophomoric and would kind of lower my opinion of this song (and therefore the band) if this sound is actually Timmy from South Park

have you listened to this on slow speed with a filter
No, it sounds perfect just listening to it as intended with no filters or adjustments to sound, I think you are looking too hard for something that is not there my friend.

Can you give me a timestamp so that I can look (again) at this song when I get home from work later?

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
regardless of whether its "real" or not

it exists for listeners to pick up on so do you believe its INTENDED purpose is to, again, subtlely or sumbliminally paint the human race "retarded".

if not, what is the inteded purpose of having some odd, clearly out of place sound not created by an instrument just kinda floating there in the music?

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately I am at work atm and cannot listen to this song to try again to hear this. While I am all for hidden inside jokes or other subtleties inside of songs, I feel that putting in a mentally challenged cartoon character in this song is just a bit sophomoric and would kind of lower my opinion of this song (and therefore the band) if this sound is actually Timmy from South Park

i get what youre saying and your point is undeniably rational and well conceived...

but sophomoric? maybe so.. but is REALLY out of character for the band?

i mean, they did have an entire array of fake album names with such mature gems as "i smell urine", "iced pee", and "mungy the clown"

talk about sophomoric...

theprosperone
05-16-2006, 01:44 PM
nope

slow it down and you can hear the hiss of vocals. a guitar playing a harmonic wont ever hiss like that no matter what kind of effect you put on it.

if you play it at slow speed on your WMP you can hear it clearly

"TIMMEH"

no way in hell is that a guitar.

It IS a guitar. You can even hear the feedback before the note is hit.

Guaranteed. Its not Timmeh and you're only hearing that because you want to.

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
No, it sounds perfect just listening to it as intended with no filters or adjustments to sound, I think you are looking too hard for something that is not there my friend.

Can you give me a timestamp so that I can look (again) at this song when I get home from work later?

actually, i heard it very clearly without any alterations... i only slowed it down to listen harder and make sure what i thought i heard was actually present.

and 5:59 - 6:01 is the placement on my file

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
It IS a guitar. You can even hear the feedback before the note is hit.

Guaranteed. Its not Timmeh and you're only hearing that because you want to.

agreed to disagree then.

but its not a guitar

: D

btw the feedback doesnt come in until AFTER the "timmeh". it goes "they fight overTIMMEH" -> swell to feedback -> heavyness

HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
will check it out again after work...but thats in 6 hours (sigh)

praefector
05-16-2006, 01:49 PM
and again, i was actually opposed to this idea and tried to rationalize that i wasnt hearing it and was hearing something else

50 listens later im still hearing it

so sad that well never get an answer from the band on it... true or false

HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
so sad that well never get an answer from the band on it... true or false

You should be glad for that - hey, maybe I don't hear what you do in this track, but that shouldn't matter. Its art, its meant to be different to all who experience it, thats part of its beauty and mystery. I would feel cheated if the band gave a definitve answer on this, but hey, thats just me.

blackandwhite
05-16-2006, 02:06 PM
No shit you're still hearing it, you thought you heard it once and you've convinced yourself that that's what you're going to hear every time.

praefector
05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
ok how bout this

if what i hear isnt waht you hear

just dont post.

the thread is almost to the 2nd page and no one has even responded to the topic... which, by the way, wasnt "do you hear this: ____"

just an idea though, continue to do whatever you like as i can do precisely nothing to change or control it.

blackandwhite
05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
OK then, to answer the topic: No I don't hear it.

insaner
05-16-2006, 03:32 PM
you are more retarded than timmy.

blackandwhite
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
me or the OP?

Blanket_509
05-16-2006, 07:56 PM
yes, i hear it. I don't think it's intentional and I definately don't think it's "Timmay" from South Park. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

praefector
05-17-2006, 09:16 AM
you are more retarded than timmy.

good one

praefector
05-17-2006, 09:16 AM
OK then, to answer the topic: No I don't hear it.

reading comprehension is your friend

AMF
05-17-2006, 01:47 PM
That would make sense....if it in fact WAS clearly audible and you weren't hearing things. Actually, nevermind, it would still be completely, utter, fantastically retarded. But differing opinions/interpretations are what makes the world go 'round right? :)

Exegesis
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Hahhahahahahaha

There is no "Timmy".

You cannot prove its not guitar or an instrument.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The fact that you listened to THAT part over and over again is hilarious.

Can you find another hidden south park quote in 10,000 Days?

Keep searching!!!!!

plexus
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
dude, thats the sound of adams fingers screeching across the guitar strings, he then lets go and feedback comes in.
I hear where the "timmy" sound is, but it doesnt sound at all like how that character says it in the cartoon. not at all.

you come off as a fucking idiot when you try to convince everyone youre right on stupid shit like this.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
i dont think he ever actaully tried to convince anyone that he was totally right, just that they might not be. He heard what he heard, people hear differnt things in these songs, and to be hoesnt i think to myself when i read some of the lyrics people think they hear "what the fuck are they on?" and i hear the alleged "timmy" but, but i doubt they'd put it in. Also just as u hear that "timmy" bit the guitar bit just doesnt seem to fit, maybe thats jsut me