PDA

View Full Version : Best cover ever

AMF
05-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Yup, it is:-D

ozthegweatandtewwible
05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I totally fucking here you, man! This is perhaps the most bad-ass song of all time, even.

blackandwhite
05-20-2006, 04:13 PM
This is a cover of Led Zeppelin if I'm not mistaken?

dissonance19
05-20-2006, 06:13 PM
I would have rathered they did a studio version of You Lied and just put a live version of this on it. I mean I like the song but I just wanna hear studio version of the other instead haha.

Volrath
05-21-2006, 05:25 AM
No Quarter rocks, no question about that.

FKassad
05-28-2006, 04:47 PM
This is a cover of Led Zeppelin if I'm not mistaken?

You are not mistaken, it is a zep cover. Both versions are incredible (and both very different from eachother)

chalk_line
05-29-2006, 02:35 PM
No Quarter rocks, no question about that.

koobcam
06-01-2006, 06:54 AM
deep

Fuzzbear
06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I was listening to a replay of the Howard Stern show, and Fred played this as a bumper coming out of a commercial break...spawned a discussion where howard said that he had wanted to put this song on the "Private Parts" Soundtrack, and that Tool commited to it only to pull the song at the last minute.

Anyone ever hear that before?

tool462boy
06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
I was listening to a replay of the Howard Stern show, and Fred played this as a bumper coming out of a commercial break...spawned a discussion where howard said that he had wanted to put this song on the "Private Parts" Soundtrack, and that Tool commited to it only to pull the song at the last minute.

Anyone ever hear that before?

Here's a link to an article that describes what happened.
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=April_1997--Circus.html
Basically, the label agreed to put the song on the album, but neglected to tell Tool. When the band found out about it, they had it pulled since they didn't want any of their songs on soundtracks (Sweat aside). I seem to recall that Stern's anger extended to APC as well, but I couldn't find the article on that.

Insanekat
06-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah they did a really good job :)

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
06-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Here's a link to an article that describes what happened.
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=April_1997--Circus.html
Basically, the label agreed to put the song on the album, but neglected to tell Tool. When the band found out about it, they had it pulled since they didn't want any of their songs on soundtracks (Sweat aside). I seem to recall that Stern's anger extended to APC as well, but I couldn't find the article on that.

If Stern has a problem with Tool or APC he can suck it.

And how the hell would No Quarter fit in with that movie anyway?

tbrent21
06-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Have they ever officially (concert, recording) covered any other band?

If not, that says a hell of a lot for Led Zeppelin, to be the only band deemed worthy.

neutered
06-12-2006, 08:10 PM

If not, that says a hell of a lot for Led Zeppelin, to be the only band deemed worthy.
They've covered Kyuss' Demon Cleaner & Ted Nugent's Stranglehold in concert

martyrinexile86
06-22-2006, 09:12 AM
And also "Spasm" and "You Lied" from Peach (Justin's pre-Tool band).

crispy
07-03-2006, 08:39 AM
all there covers kick ass even apc Diary of a Madman

jim39n
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
apc also covered "fred's slacks" which is the best fucking song ever

freds got slacks and he wears em really well oooh freds got slacks

anarcho-commie
07-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I think You Lied beats it. Nonetheless, a beautiful song.

Koan
07-30-2006, 09:27 AM
One of the best bands ever, Tool, covering one of the greatest songs by Led Zeppelin who are also one of the best bands ever. Does it get any better?

Imagine them doing Stairway to Heaven.

ktdude
07-31-2006, 07:10 AM
This song kicks ass. I love 'You Lied' too, but this is so well-crafted, I think Zeppellin would love it. Does anyone know if Page/Plant have said anything about it? They would probably be jealous!!

They have also covered a Ramones song, pretty fucking peculiar but that's Tool I guess. Don't know which one, not into punk.

inSin
07-31-2006, 07:12 PM

http://www.distortiononline.com/content/index2.html

here is a link with some live tool. some covers in there too.
enjoy

Triple Six Mafia
08-04-2006, 08:24 AM

no man they 've done peach covers....you lied....spasm...and i think acouple more live

RaG3aH0liC
08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
no man they 've done peach covers....you lied....spasm...and i think acouple more live
I wouldn't want them to get too heavy into covers, but wow. You lied and No quarter are amazing. They meet my requirements of doing a good cover by paying homage to the original while still managing to do their own thing with it. so strong.

philipg
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
apc also covered "fred's slacks" which is the best fucking song ever

freds got slacks and he wears em really well oooh freds got slacks

APC's cover of the nurse who loved me is amazing, although its hard to beat failure's version. it is their song after all.
the sad thing is, most people dont even know that the nurse was written by failure, or who failure is....but they should.

philipg
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM

they covered a ramones song too. i cant remember the name but i saw a video of them playing it second during the lateralus tour

swampyfool
09-14-2006, 05:27 AM
This version of "No Quarter" is fucking incredible. Tool stayed very true to the original while also making it their own- a ballancing act that is very difficult maintain. Not only is this an amazing track, I think that it's the best song on Salival- by several country miles.

EulogyCallinMe
09-14-2006, 09:36 AM
yeah i seriously love their version of this song i really wish i could see it played live. this and eulogy. oh and adams acoustic solo in the bridge! how muthafuckin sweet is that?!

EulogyCallinMe
09-14-2006, 09:56 AM
they covered a ramones song too. i cant remember the name but i saw a video of them playing it second during the lateralus tour

they covered commando by the ramones
also they covered comfortably numb live.

Useful)(Idiot
09-18-2006, 08:39 PM
i think you lied is way better.

Weapon
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
that's how i've always described it

taking the ball and running with it,
brought to a new level

Useful)(Idiot
09-21-2006, 08:35 PM
they covered commando by the ramones
also they covered comfortably numb live.

i never knew they covered comfortably numb, that would be awesome to listen to, anyone have that on mp3?

Schvartzgonif
09-24-2006, 09:19 AM
This song is simply amazing. I don't think any other band could have done justice and improved on a Led Zeppelin classic.

Bodhi
09-25-2006, 01:30 AM
This song reminds me of Oatmeal.

Phorty
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
APC's cover of the nurse who loved me is amazing, although its hard to beat failure's version. it is their song after all.
the sad thing is, most people dont even know that the nurse was written by failure, or who failure is....but they should.

three quick points,

Fantastic Planet was an amazing album for their genre and i couldnt agree more how Failure's been overlooked by almost everyone.

APC's "Passive" was a cover of "vacant" by tapeworm ( which never really materialized , yet their version of the song sounded more industrial and in my opinion, better) .

And finally No Quarter is perhaps the greatest cover , ever.

*After reading that article about Stern's temper tantrum i can definately say that i lost what little respect i had for the guy.

wix3l
09-25-2006, 12:45 PM
*After reading that article about Stern's temper tantrum i can definately say that i lost what little respect i had for the guy.

Where is this at? What happened?

Maryjane82
09-26-2006, 03:28 AM
hands down my favourite cover ever ..(even through $1 headphones) this live would blow my little world to smithereens..

Phorty
09-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Where is this at? What happened?

here,

fateless
09-26-2006, 12:25 PM
I just listened to this again. Still delivers!

Bodhi
09-29-2006, 02:07 AM
Oatmeal again.

weathermantom
10-06-2006, 06:31 PM
i never knew they covered comfortably numb, that would be awesome to listen to, anyone have that on mp3?
Someone gave it to me on a CD once, but I'm not sure if it's the entire thing -- there aren't any words.

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Doesn't beat "All Along The Watchtower", but it's one hell of a cover. By making it longer, they really expand upon the deep, brooding atmosphere surrounding that song. Before I knew they covered it, I said this was the PERFECT song for them to cover.

colt4540
11-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Someone gave it to me on a CD once, but I'm not sure if it's the entire thing -- there aren't any words.

I know that they covered it and have heard it many times from many different people and sources and there was never any words

colt4540
11-10-2006, 09:50 AM
no quarter is quite possibly the best cover ever done by any band during any time

mr. nikki jensen
11-24-2006, 12:33 PM
no quarter is quite possibly the best cover ever done by any band during any time

yea, the best one i've heard too

mjkajdcjc
11-25-2006, 09:31 PM

Heard of "All Along the Watchtower" By Hendrix?

How about "Crossroads" by Cream?

Or even "The Man Who Sold the World" by Nirvana?

Sorry, it's amazing, but not better than those three.

Yoxodo
11-29-2006, 01:56 AM

i don't know about that...but i sure as HELL think it's the best cover of Zep ever done by any band at any time

colt4540
11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Heard of "All Along the Watchtower" By Hendrix?

How about "Crossroads" by Cream?

Or even "The Man Who Sold the World" by Nirvana?

Sorry, it's amazing, but not better than those three.

I'll by the first two but not so much the third one. I would possibly even throw in Diary of A Madman by APC

mr. nikki jensen
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
imagine by APC's good too

mjkajdcjc
11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
APC is lame.

The Universal APC Equation is as follows:

Tool + pop vocals = emo music = lame as fuck = don't listen to Howerdel's crap that MJK was unfortunate enough to agree to singing.

jim39n
11-29-2006, 08:56 PM
apc is emotional, but i'd hardly equate it with emo. deffinetly not as good a band overall as tool, but they did some very artfull stuff. thirteenth step is one of the most cohesive a beautiful albums to come out in a very long time,

Yoxodo
11-30-2006, 01:39 AM
i'd have to agree...apc definitely has it's highlights

mr. nikki jensen
12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
APC is lame.

or at least is what you think....

You're lame, idiot

colt4540
12-06-2006, 09:20 AM
APC is lame.

The Universal APC Equation is as follows:

Tool + pop vocals = emo music = lame as fuck = don't listen to Howerdel's crap that MJK was unfortunate enough to agree to singing.

I never said APC was god or even better then Tool I know there are many other bands better but between maynard and billy howerdel they still kick ass

mjkajdcjc
12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
or at least is what you think....

You're lame, idiot

The official APC hater is Naga Royal Guard.

FYI...

u r so fun e lol black riting makes it invisible lolololololoolol

Chris_Brightwell
12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
also they covered comfortably numb live.No, they didn't.

orangeisgoood
11-20-2007, 08:28 PM
i like this version even better than the led zepp one. you lied kicks ass too...ALL TOOL KICKS ASS!!!

Jambi_the_Genie
11-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Uh i like Tools version better because of that little thing they added to the end of the song thats like REALLY heavy, and REALLY Tool-esque...

As a Zeppelin freak myself... thats alot =]

There probably isnt really a cover better than this one...

and Godsmack should go to hell for covering "Good Times, Bad Times"

Topher
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Ahhhh...Godsmack is a good band, I think they did a great job with that cover.

And, I would agree, No Quarter by Tool is the greatest cover ever performed

Master_Of_Nothing
11-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I think not, Goodnight nurses' cover of Milkshake (originally done by Kelis) was pretty fuckin good. Hilarious too.

Is Tool's version of No Quarter better than the original? I haven't heard the original

Bichdya
11-29-2007, 04:35 AM
I think not, Goodnight nurses' cover of Milkshake (originally done by Kelis) was pretty fuckin good. Hilarious too.

Is Tool's version of No Quarter better than the original? I haven't heard the original

Tool's version is better to me. But I love Tool. And I love Zeppelin, I dont even compare them I like them both so much I dont even care wich is better lol.

fire_engine_friend
12-19-2007, 02:26 AM
definitely a great cover. originally recorded for a 1995 Led Zeppelin tribute album called Encomium, Tool walked away from the project after compilers complained about the length of their version. that, my friends, is the definition of virtues.

*~*»¤«(Đispositioń)»¤«*~*
12-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Fuck the Dead Kennedy's.

TheAlienGus
12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
This is on my all time 10 bet tool tracks. It's amasing.
Supported, indefinitely.