PDA

View Full Version : stupid walmart

stattica
11-23-2002, 04:50 PM
why the hell did walmart censor the cover art of undertow(in place of the cover, there is a bar code) all it is is a drawing of a rib cage, there are alot more things out there on album covers that are alot worse then that. but truthfully, nothing should be censored....

Necronomicon
11-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Walmart didn't decide how to change the case.

I think they told Tool to change it or it wouldn't be sold in Wal Mart, thus we get the change.

Maybe the new barcode symbolizes the evils of corporations...we're all numbers...etc etc...

Heh. Just some random thoughts floating around.

Zulehan
11-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Is it really even a ribcage? I just see it as something warm and deep with gravity, something you can be drawn into. Thus, "Undertow." Certainly not something to censor.

povvy
11-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Zulehan
Certainly not something to censor.

I think the art *inside* is what Wal-Mart wanted taken out. The lyrics weren't really a problem (the "edited" CD is the exact same as the "full" one).

Patrick.

Slave#1
11-24-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by povvy

I think the art *inside* is what Wal-Mart wanted taken out. The lyrics weren't really a problem (the "edited" CD is the exact same as the "full" one).

Patrick.

So, your trying to say that the art inside undertow is worse than the art inside of many other recordings?

Patton>You
11-25-2002, 04:11 PM
why go to wall-mart in the first place, and i think they did the barcode thing so it would be easyer to scan, nah, j/k, i really dont know why, but just leave it be, we may never know, just dont shop at wall-mart, best buy>wallmart

sparrow
11-27-2002, 01:55 PM
i think that the bar code is put in by tool to represent the censorship of corporations. its funnier since wal- mart (corporation) sells the version that may most damage their image. Plus if they ever thought to notice the other cd's they sell (ex. bitchey spears, christina aguilera, nelly) that the woman practically have no vclothes and sing about sex pretty much. Since Tool is "rock" it must be evil right? Satans gospel hey?

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 02:45 AM
no, it has little to do with tool being thought of as "rock" or "metal" even...

its more like "who??? i never see them on tv or radio"...we fear what we are ignorant of...fucked up grammar? OH FUCKING WELL KILL ME JESUS...

Braydon
11-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Misoanthropos
no, it has little to do with tool being thought of as "rock" or "metal" even...

its more like "who??? i never see them on tv or radio"...we fear what we are ignorant of...fucked up grammar? OH FUCKING WELL KILL ME JESUS...
this is so true it tool was a huge band at the time. ie soundgarden etc they wouldn't of censored it

sparrow
12-01-2002, 06:25 AM
thats what i mean. many rock bands are un known about to many people. Much music who rarely plays rock. Radio stations who almost never do. In fact i asked someone if they liked ac dc and they said "who are they?" So what im saying is that your follow ups to my post are what i was trying to get at.

flanders
12-01-2002, 03:01 PM
I saw the word walmart, and before even reading this whole thread, I felt I should say -

FUCK walmart. And fuck everything in it. I really really despise that places. It puts small businesses out of business, its laziness in it's purest form, and sells a bunch of SHIT that the world can do without.

(sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to vent some anger cause I really really hate that fuckin place. ) :)

Aberfoyle
12-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by flanders
I saw the word walmart, and before even reading this whole thread, I felt I should say -

FUCK walmart. And fuck everything in it. I really really despise that places. It puts small businesses out of business, its laziness in it's purest form, and sells a bunch of SHIT that the world can do without.

(sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to vent some anger cause I really really hate that fuckin place. ) :)

Looking at your screen name, I couldn't help but laugh at this post.

codman
12-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Wal-mart VERY MUCH IS a bad place. To further prove this, last year, Wal-Mart's EVIL, EVIL powers were sucking me in, and convinced me to steal a keychain, without hesitation, even though I had the $2.00 for it, so in the end, I got busted and had to pay $300 to the stupid force, and all because wal-marts sells useless shit. cock-mongrels they are, and I am pretty sure none of walmarts associates have sat down lately, done a good dosage of shrooms, and listened to a TooL album lately. It would probably help.

Satanist
12-02-2002, 09:12 AM
I go to Wal-Mart for all of my Tool related needs... Actually I may be a geek with no social life but I would buy the Bar Code Version of Undertow If I ever came across it... Can't beat an oversized bar code, that's some hard core gothic art for you.

KarmesinroT
12-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Braydon
this is so true it tool was a huge band at the time. ie soundgarden etc they wouldn't of censored it
I don't really believe this. Look at Nirvana for example. In Utero, their only real follow up album to Nevermind, had edited art. The back cover of the Wal-Mart version of the album has lists the song "Rape Me" as "Waif Me" and I believe some of the symbols are changed. It seems that even the hugest band at the time still has to deal with Wal-Mart's ridiculous policy on questionable products.

stattica
12-04-2002, 04:38 PM
heh heh waif me....yeah im against the censorship, but waif me is just funny...i dont know why....

paraflux
12-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Wal-Mart probably couldn't come up with concrete reasons why they censored this album. If the women on the inside were hot, it might have stayed. But one look at the fat women and they just get disturbed. They can't really put their finger on it, but it must be wrong.

Big_D
01-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Well, what's funny is that the artwork is on the INSIDE of the CD and it has an explicit lyrics warning. Shouldn't that be enough of a warning? Of course, what's funny is that then they sell all these albums which contain art which is MUCH WORSE than anything Tool has ever made. Wal-Mart are just a bunch of pussies. I loved that note inside the clean version, too.

If I ever start a band, I hope to make an album cover with an erect penis that has a bunch of cock-rings on it photographed mid-ejaculation. I'd like to see the pussies at Wal-Mart put that up.

I usually get my music from local music stores. There's this place in Raleigh I've been getting all my music from called "Millenium Music". It's really cool. They don't give a shit about the album covers and what the bands are like, they just sell it. I remember seeing one cover there from a band called Anal Cunt, which featured a cartoon guy screwing some old lady from behind with a burning baby carriage on the back. Sick shit, but I'm glad there's at least one store that doesn't give a shit about whiny parents.

unumveritas
01-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the album with the original artwork on it? Ebay perhaps? Or is it still available from retail distributors? (not including Wal-Mart.)

crow011
01-09-2003, 09:42 PM
damn, you americans have it tough . . .

i dont think theres anywhere in australia that has the edited cover instead of the real one . . .

if a department store thought a cd was too offensive, it just wouldnt sell it . . .

i tried to get a marilyn manson cd from big w (a store that sounds suspiciously like your wal - mart, my american girlfriend tells me), and the said he was too offensive, so they just wouldnt sell him . . .

i was only at big w for a really cheap copy of the cd, by the way . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

Big_D
01-10-2003, 02:43 PM
You can get the one with the original cover in most retail music stores, or through the internet.

drumaster
01-14-2003, 07:13 PM
I heard the cover is a "flocker"

48&2
01-25-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by crow011
damn, you americans have it tough . . .

i dont think theres anywhere in australia that has the edited cover instead of the real one . . .

if a department store thought a cd was too offensive, it just wouldnt sell it . . .

i tried to get a marilyn manson cd from big w (a store that sounds suspiciously like your wal - mart, my american girlfriend tells me), and the said he was too offensive, so they just wouldnt sell him . . .

i was only at big w for a really cheap copy of the cd, by the way . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

God bless Australia, they sell cds at BIG W?? wtf......I always go to fish records for my cds, they even had the peach cd there.....i hate sanity they are so shit!

Convoy_X
01-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by codman
... I am pretty sure none of walmarts associates have sat down lately, done a good dosage of shrooms, and listened to a TooL album lately. It would probably help. [/B]

Well I never did Shrooms but when I did work at Wal-Mart I would listen to Tool after a bad day at work, and a few other people that worked there liked them too, but we did all work on the "truck crew" so the shopers almost never saw us.

Tralfamadore-83
02-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Let me find a good note for this;

Ahem' mee mee mee meeeeee...

Fuck Walmart.

spiralion
02-07-2003, 12:35 PM
I saw a copy of reel big fishes turn off the radio once edited and I think it had a barcode on the back and/or front with the titles on the border. Here is a brief description:
the bill of rights (or "sanitized for your protection")
version is completely censored, "ritual de lo habitual"
style. no bad words or pictures of guns whatsoever.
this, as you may well know, means that almost every
part of the packaging had to be changed, including the
cd itself, which normally depicts a gun. the changes
are too numerous to be mentioned here. oh yeah, and
every naughty word actually sung on the cd is blanked
out. and the secret track doesn't exist.