PDA

View Full Version : Maynard screaming on The Grudge

CJMFilm20
04-06-2003, 03:46 PM
When you hear Maynard screaming at the end of The Grudge he holds the sound for well over 30 seconds. With the intensity of the scream I have trouble imagining a human being pulling it off. Does anyone know if that scream is looped or warped in some way? Or does Maynard just have great control of his diaprham and breath?

Whatever the case I always get goosebumps whenever MJK belts out a nice scream. Whether its at the end of Eulogy or Pushit or Ticks and Leeches, I always seem to get amazed.

nate
04-06-2003, 03:51 PM
It is a real scream, and that is why the don't play Ticks and Leeches anymore. He threw out his voice.

balsac
04-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by CJMFilm20
When you hear Maynard screaming at the end of The Grudge he holds the sound for well over 30 seconds. With the intensity of the scream I have trouble imagining a human being pulling it off. Does anyone know if that scream is looped or warped in some way? Or does Maynard just have great control of his diaprham and breath?

Whatever the case I always get goosebumps whenever MJK belts out a nice scream. Whether its at the end of Eulogy or Pushit or Ticks and Leeches, I always seem to get amazed.

i am a singer and sometimes i use "the grudge" and other tool songs as practice. i do the scream at the end of grudge everytime i try and 9 times out of 10 its just as long and intense as his and im just an amateur so i think you are over estimating just how hard that scream is.
i think most of his quiet melodies are the hardest parts for me to reproduce but the scream no problem

Gastebucher
04-08-2003, 07:57 PM
When you perform the scream do you actually scream for that long? Or do you start off slowly and gradually let more air out as the scream grows to the finish? Do you breathe in air a certain way? DO you think about the scream? Do you position your body in any way? SOrry for the damn questions

munkyman
04-10-2003, 09:02 PM
i honestly have no idea, but it gives me chills down my spine... it's an amazing expression

JustifiedDenial
04-11-2003, 05:01 AM
I imagine that Maynard would have to position his body in some way to fill his lungs up completely with air (so he can let it out bit by bit during the long scream).

Skunk
04-19-2003, 06:11 AM
It's actually not that hard...

He usually crouches into a ball and starts the scream, then gradually stands up until he is leaning all the way back. I can do it pretty well and sometimes can go for longer. Also, it's not over 30 seconds, I think it's around 24 or so. It sounds really hard until you try it yourself. I've seen some vocalists hold notes for insane amounts of time, even longer than a minute...

Nivek
04-19-2003, 07:02 AM
The scream really is not an all out scream. He actually does hold the note for that period of time, but it is not a normal scream. He uses some vocal effects to give it more of an edge. Maynard does this live as well much like he does in Ticks and Leaches. If you've seen it played live the vocal distortion is much more apparent. It is not impossible to hold an all out note for that long but not likely. An opera singer would have a seriously difficult time holding a note that long with that kind of intensity. Maynard's scream is in reality much more reserved and controlled than it appears.