PDA

View Full Version : Shine on forever...

Shomino
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Shine on benevolent sun/son!

Is it just me or is this one of the most euphoric moments in the new album?

I love the way the vocals and music come together here in an orgasmic climax!!
(LOL)
The bass lead in to this section is also one of the coolest bass riffs I have ever heard.

Also... do you think when MJK releases the lyics he will put it as sun/son?
Or just one of the two?

CaseLogic
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM

(LOL)
The bass lead in to this section is also one of the coolest bass riffs I have ever heard.

Or just one of the two?

He'll put one of the two... putting sun/son doesn't make sense, it would mean he doesn't even know what his lyrics are about

Inner_Eulogy
05-15-2006, 03:50 PM
He'll put one of the two... putting sun/son doesn't make sense, it would mean he doesn't even know what his lyrics are about

I would have to say my most favorite part is:

Damn my eyes
Damn my eyes
Damn my eyes if they should compromise my fulcrum... (and on)

champion
05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I've said it before. It's the best part of the album.

Max T.
05-15-2006, 05:14 PM

(LOL)

Or just one of the two?

I reckon that it will say "son." The lyrics earlier in the song call to me that this song is about his son to begin with. Look in the "you guys think maynard loves jesus" thread. many believe it to be about his mother, but with this line matching up with the reasoning that can be used, and with the lyrics at the beginning, I think that this can be directed to "son."

I agree, it is truly orgasmic. But the entire song, probably my favorite on the album. With the use of the word "benevolent," meaning "tending to do good" (in such a way) i think this is another match-up to say the song is about his son, because having a son has been a miraculous thing in his life.

Nico
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I would have to say my most favorite part is:

Damn my eyes
Damn my eyes
Damn my eyes if they should compromise my fulcrum... (and on)

would have to say I fully agree...although in fact the whole damn song kicks major ass (just an opinion, of course). Easily a contender for my Tool hall of fame.

l3ster
05-16-2006, 05:50 AM
speaking of the album kicking ass, there is nothing better than reading the critics reviews of it! I love how some people still think of tool as a metal band!!! They get pissed when they hear tablas, and hand-drums! Its like they haven't even followed the bands progression at all, they are still stuck on opiate and using that to compare all future work! METAL BAND!!!!

I like to think of their albums as more of a pathway to a higher consiousness!

Lennon
05-16-2006, 12:15 PM
would have to say I fully agree...although in fact the whole damn song kicks major ass (just an opinion, of course). Easily a contender for my Tool hall of fame.

No question. "prayed like martyr dusk to dawn", "Damn my eyes", "might as well be gone", "shine on forever", and the ending...are very nice, the song just has so many good parts.

Black Rabbit
05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I hope it says sun, with the shine on forever part, it would make so much more sense visually.

tbrent21
05-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Perfect example here of how you have to let Tool's songs sink in. With each new album, I've thought to myself, with 100s of hours of listening to Tool, surely I'll "GET IT" early on when I hear the new material.

To quote one of their classics from UNDERTOW -- "I was wrong."

I am humbled to admit that when I first heard "Jambi" I DIDN'T get it. Now no one could convince me otherwise that this song is anything but pure f***ing genius.

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 08:58 AM

I don't think that is necessarily true. When speaking of one's son in glowing terms, one might be inclined to think of the Sun (Wow! That's almost as good as Bill Hicks' anti-Castro pigeons hanging out Dallas the night before Kenedy was shot saying, "Coup! Coup!"). The Sun is the center of our solar system, much the way a son can be the center of a familial system. As a songwriter (I know, I know, you're happy for me), I actually once wrote a lyric involving the word son. Originally, it was meant as male progeny, but as I continueed to tweak the nuances of both music and lyric, I realized that Sun worked just as well in the intended storyline of the song. I ended up writing the lyric as son/Sun, as both words fit the meaning. Despite my duplicitous lyric, I know EXACTLY what my song is about. Maynard is a very clever intellectual, and double entendre is certainly not on the outside of his cerebral grasp.

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Perfect example here of how you have to let Tool's songs sink in. With each new album, I've thought to myself, with 100s of hours of listening to Tool, surely I'll "GET IT" early on when I hear the new material.

To quote one of their classics from UNDERTOW -- "I was wrong."

I am humbled to admit that when I first heard "Jambi" I DIDN'T get it. Now no one could convince me otherwise that this song is anything but pure f***ing genius.

Fuckin' A Bullseye, dude.

SunBurN
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Yeah my favorite part is:

So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, They'd take you away
You're my peace of mind, my all, my center
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Dim my eyes
Dim my eyes

Dim my eyes if they should compromise my fulcrum... (and the rest of that verse)

Kick ass part!

inSin
05-18-2006, 10:02 AM
The damn my eyes jambi eyes damn my eyes part is great. i love it! but the greatest part in the song imo is when the talkbox solo ends and its just Justin playing that riff when 'shine on forever' comes. i think its the best part of Jambi but not the whole cd. me personally i love the 'Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position. Such a heavy burden, out to be the one.' part on RS. it always gives me the MOST chills. but there is so many different parts on this cd as a whole that gives me chills. i love it 10kdays kicks ass!

TOOLEK
05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
The damn my eyes jambi eyes damn my eyes part is great. i love it! but the greatest part in the song imo is when the talkbox solo ends and its just Justin playing that riff when 'shine on forever' comes. i think its the best part of Jambi but not the whole cd. me personally i love the 'Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position. Such a heavy burden, out to be the one.' part on RS. it always gives me the MOST chills. but there is so many different parts on this cd as a whole that gives me chills. i love it 10kdays kicks ass!

Yeah You're absolutely right. I also love the "Shine on forever..." part as well as in "The pot" part "Leaving things out in the ground" and in 10,000 days "Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance" (but I love this song in general), and I love the part in Right in two when he sings Monkey killing monkey killing monkey, Over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys give them thumbs, They make a club, And beat their brother down...." And now I realised that I love the whole album.....

But back to the point the "Overwhelmed as one would be..."part fuckin rocks. It gives me chills as well, it's like the climax of all the Tool's music. Maynard is amazing if it is about lyrics. We all expected Lateralus II, but Maynard clearly says he is not some enlightened man who will give us all the answers, he is not perfect as well, although surely is looking for something (look at Lateralus). This song is up to the point and to me although some don't like the lyrics (especially shit the bed part) these lyrics express everything in a strong manner which I do love. Tool rocks forever.

tbrent21
05-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Nice post . . . as for the lyrics that some don't like, remember this is the band that released "Prison Sex" as a single.