PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Guitar

win
05-15-2006, 01:27 AM
A part of this song around 8 mins has the same kind of sonic guitar as lateralus. At first I thought it was kind of lame they used the same feel for the guitar, but as I listened more I really cam eo t appreciate it in its own context. I have heard major complaints about this though in other threads. i wanted to get some peoples thoughts/opinions/credit car numbers/dispositions.

mike09
06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
The part he plays at around 8:36 is the same riff moved down on the fret board as what is played at 8:03 in "Lateralus"

Jon08
06-01-2006, 03:27 PM
3877 1311 6101 0064

mike09
06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
atleast you're being relevant

AguirreWrathOfTool
06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
The part he plays at around 8:36 is the same riff moved down on the fret board as what is played at 8:03 in "Lateralus"

3 seconds of 4 chords played in the same intervallic sequence...well I never!

Come on.

mike09
06-01-2006, 05:29 PM
3 seconds of 4 chords played in the same intervallic sequence...well I never!

Come on.

He repeats it and then plays it in powerchord form, so no, it isn't 3 seconds. If the riff was more distinct, such as Schism's main riff, then you wouldn't be so doubtful.

æmoeba•°·.
06-01-2006, 06:22 PM
what is this?

it was his "credit card number"....read the last part of the Main post...

AguirreWrathOfTool
06-01-2006, 09:48 PM
He repeats it and then plays it in powerchord form, so no, it isn't 3 seconds. If the riff was more distinct, such as Schism's main riff, then you wouldn't be so doubtful.

Maybe you misunderstood me; let me explain what I meant by "three seconds:"

The part in Wings is a 4-bar phrase (of power chords...power chords require a root and a fifth with a doubling note at the octave of the root, nothing more), the first two of which are the chords in question. This is repeated once. This cycle of 2 repeated phrases is repeated itself with an extra 5 and 1 on top, employing five strings in total.

The part of Lateralus to which this intervallically and rhythmically corresponds lasts only three seconds...that is, three seconds of Lateralus. Adam plays the part in question ONLY when you hear the words "following our will and wind"...and then he plays something else. Before that he is playing a D power chord and Justin is the one playing the line that is similar to the riff we are discussing.

As for this "doubtfulness"...well, there really wasn't any. I did acknowledge a similarity that occurs (albeit on different notes for a miniscule amount of time). It just seemed to me that a bigger deal was being made out of a tiny snippet than really should have been, as if an entire 30 or 60 seconds had been blatantly ripped off. I guess I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to people staking claims about the alleged "unoriginality" of 10,000 Days, because they are all unfounded. I realize that's probably not what you were doing, so I'm sorry if you took any of that wrong. It was just a good old fashioned sarcastic comment venting my frustration against the collective debunkers of the greatness of this album. That's all.

mike09
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
My first comment in this thread was just a lighthearted message. It's a fun little tidbit for me to find things like that. I'm not saying they are unoriginal and that they are ripping off themselves. You're right actually, he is playing powerchords the whole time I'm talking about in Wings. At first, I thought he was just playing an octave chord. He then moves onto the chords that are unmistakable power chords. I wasn't trying to rip on the band. Calm yourself down.

Dolophane
06-02-2006, 01:11 PM
My first comment in this thread was just a lighthearted message. It's a fun little tidbit for me to find things like that.
Oh man, I've never seen anybody retract a statement so readily. Good fun.

mike09
06-03-2006, 08:31 AM
what?

Jon08
06-05-2006, 09:37 AM
feel free to buy things.

win
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
feel free to buy things.

:)

stevejols
06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
WIN! I completley agree. Adam's big moment on Lateralus is the Title Track

Adam's big guitar moment on 10,000 is Wings for marie

He blows my load, the way he moves matter with his guitar is truly wonderful sonic experiance