PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King and TOOL

HanInCarbonite
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
The idea for the dialog in this track sounds like it would make a good story. TOOL should get together w/ Stephen King and have him finish it. It already has that mysteriousness to it. What collaboration could be better, they both are excellent at their craft.

euthanasia
05-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Interestingly, I was thinking about how, musically, this albums makes me think of the Dark Tower series.

HallsOfMandos
05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Interestingly, I was thinking about how, musically, this albums makes me think of the Dark Tower series.

Care to elaborate?

Maine-iak
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
The idea for the dialog in this track sounds like it would make a good story. TOOL should get together w/ Stephen King and have him finish it. It already has that mysteriousness to it. What collaboration could be better, they both are excellent at their craft.

Well....Stephen King DOES play the guitar and is a rock fan. Not sure if he's a Tool fan, however. I have actually seen Stephen King get on stage with another well known band for a concert at UMaine once. He lives just down the road from here.

know1special2u
05-20-2006, 06:48 PM

Couldn't agree with you more!

DT fans know that everything's '19', and this album, everything's '23'

:)

spiralout11235
05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
I really need to read the Dark Tower series.

paraflux
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM
May it do ya fine

Terry21
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM

I read the Dark Tower series and think about it day to day and 10,000 days doesn't remind me of it at all.

Tachyon
05-22-2006, 02:15 PM
What's the Dark Tower serie about???

Jayar
05-22-2006, 02:55 PM
It's like the search for the holy grail but with guns.

StereoScopicLenses
05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
When I listen to this album from beginning to end. It reminds me of watching a movie. But only in sound. Or a book. It's like a long story that takes you on a whole journey. Hooray Beer!

euthanasia
05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
My comment was purely subjective (aren't them all?), and I again put my emphasis in how the album 'musically' reminds me of the Dark Tower series. As in the music and the atmosphere it creates, loss, chaos, osbcurity, greyness, sorrow and redemption.

It's not like Roland is Rosetta Stoned, the music alone made the connection.

opiated
05-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Take the lyrics in a literal sense, and "Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" is a great theme song for "Dreamcatcher."

I don't know, the music makes me think more of that novel than other selections of King's work.

Heh, shit weasels.

tescovee
05-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Stephin king forgot the face of his father, you read CELL? :P
I never thought he did scifi well, othere then maby the lil ailen dudes in insomnia.....
Somniferious could be the book name actualy : )

jdub420
05-30-2006, 11:14 AM
its all 19

inSin
05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Thats funny because when i first heard Lost Keys i thought of Stephen King and his stories.

Tony
05-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Stephen King and Tool? Hey, thats a dangerous combination. There is only so much my happy zone in the brain can take.

tomhet
05-31-2006, 10:28 PM
SHIT WEASELS!!!!!!!!

That's one of the very few things of horror literature that gave me nightmares. I liked that novel, Dreamcatcher, a lot, it's very sad.

Shit, I haven't read DT7

The Official Fiction
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM
My comment was purely subjective (aren't them all?), and I again put my emphasis in how the album 'musically' reminds me of the Dark Tower series. As in the music and the atmosphere it creates, loss, chaos, osbcurity, greyness, sorrow and redemption.

It's not like Roland is Rosetta Stoned, the music alone made the connection.

Same thing happened to me. Sounds and feels like the soundtrack to DT, definitely.

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 07:03 AM
I really think that the right director could do beautiful things with a movie version of The Dark Tower series- though ussually Steven King movies can't hold a candle to their literary precursors. I know that they're not typically into that kind of thing, but if Tool provided the soundscape for such an undertaking, it would probably go a very long way toward establishing proper mood. Couldn't you just imagine Danny going nuts as the God Drums of Lud reach a fevered pitch . . .

paraflux
06-05-2006, 07:11 AM
As movies:
It = trash
The Langoliers = tolerable
The Tommyknockers = trash
The Stand series = tolerable (and mostly made tolerable with the character of Nadine)
All others = tolerable at best with the one gleaming example of The Shining which was made incredible by the 4 main actors and superb fucking direction. I'm kind of scared to see the DT series turn towards the movies because I wouldnt want to see it ruined. Peter Jackson would have to direct it. Roland would have to be played by a hardass and not come off as cheesy. That's gonna be hard to do.

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
As movies:
It = trash
The Stand series = tolerable (and mostly made tolerable with the character of Nadine)
All others = tolerable at best with the one gleaming example of The Shining which was made incredible by the 4 main actors and superb fucking direction. I'm kind of scared to see the DT series turn towards the movies because I wouldnt want to see it ruined. Peter Jackson would have to direct it. Roland would have to be played by a hardass and not come off as cheesy. That's gonna be hard to do.
Could Roland be anybody other than Clint Eastwood? Clint was the only spahetti-western actor that I've ever seen that could make Roland's gun skills look believable (it's not in the hands- it's in the mannerisms). As long as Jake wasn't played by that damned, "I see dead people" twirp, I think it could be a great epic of the silver screen. But I agree, King's novels have a terrible track record as movies, and Hollywood hasn't been able to generate the proper sentimentalities for quite some time now.

paraflux
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
It's been said by elevate (member of the board) that a younf Eastwood would be the only suitable character to play Roland. But I dont think Clint could keep up with the role anymore.

Just... please, could we get away from actors like Gary Sinise and Martin Sheen?

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 08:49 AM
It's been said by elevate (member of the board) that a younf Eastwood would be the only suitable character to play Roland. But I dont think Clint could keep up with the role anymore.

Just... please, could we get away from actors like Gary Sinise and Martin Sheen?

I don't know, Roland is none too young himslef in the saga, and Eastwood can be made to look younger. More important is that nobody has shown the cool eyes, the absolute calm, and the deadpan concentration that would be necessary to play The Gunslinger outside of Clint. Jack Pallance would make an excellent Walter. If done properly, it could be such a visual and intelectual treat: a clipped and hazy sequence of Clint tracking Jack across the punishing and expansive desert. Maybe Steve Buschemi as Brown, the desert dweller and owner of Zoltan, the raven. It would be expensive, and about ten movies, but it would be fuckin' killer.

tomhet
06-05-2006, 11:52 AM
WAIT A FUCKING SECOND!!!!!

ARE THEY GOING TO FILM DT???????

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

By the way, I kinda remember that King himself suggested Eastwood for the role of Roland.

The soundtrack I have for the DT4 is Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", all those desolate places with the wind blowing.

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
WAIT A FUCKING SECOND!!!!!

ARE THEY GOING TO FILM DT???????

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

By the way, I kinda remember that King himself suggested Eastwood for the role of Roland.

The soundtrack I have for the DT4 is Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", all those desolate places with the wind blowing.
NO!

CALM DOWN!!

Pure speculation.

Change your pants.

Mr C
06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Did anyone in the US catch Desperation when it was ABC. Interested to know what it was like. Collie Entragan, crazy.

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Tower Junkies on the Tool site !?!?!

It is like Awesomeness overload ......

I named my son Jake Roland for all you DT fans :)

King said that he was tripping acid in college and went to see the good the bad and the ugly and when he saw Eastwood Roland was born....

I couldnt see anyone but Eastwood

paraflux
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Dude you doomed your son to die twice, that's cruel...

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes but :

A) He will not forget the face of his father
B) He will be awesome at Riddiling
C) He will only fear Slow Mutants and Psycho Monorails

opiated
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Did anyone in the US catch Desperation when it was ABC. Interested to know what it was like. Collie Entragan, crazy.

I caught it. It was...well...pretty close to the novel, but not as close as it could have been, as with all of the other King novel/novella/short story-based movies. (Except for "Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption". They managed to follow things pretty close.) Charles Durning was a good choice for the old man, I thought, and Colle Entragian was just as fucked up as with the novel.

tomhet
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Change your pants.

Done.

By the way, I have only read the first 6 books, haven't got my hands on the seventh, but did anybody else feel disappointed by the way things unfolded after the fourth volume? Like things were kinda rushed? I mean, book number 3 "The Waste Lands" was so full of mythical references, I missed that in 5 and 6. Or is it just me?

eulogys
06-07-2006, 08:39 AM

I wish they had done "The Regulators" instead. I found that alot more enjoyable of a read then "Desperation". I still felt they did a good job with it though.

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Let me say first that I love the series..........Probably my favorite books of all time...

That being said.....I did not like the rushed feel of the last few books and hated the treatment of book 7.....not so much the ending but the way things seemed to be rushed in the end....like King said "Sh*t I better end this thing in the next 100 pages"....I dont want to spoil so I wont go into detail but you will see in book 7 big time !!

Lets hope the Comic book King has planned with Marvel can "re-polish" the series a bit in my eyes

orangedarkblue
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM
"Time is a face on the water." excellent stuff.

swampyfool
06-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Let me say first that I love the series..........Probably my favorite books of all time...

That being said.....I did not like the rushed feel of the last few books and hated the treatment of book 7.....not so much the ending but the way things seemed to be rushed in the end....like King said "Sh*t I better end this thing in the next 100 pages"....I dont want to spoil so I wont go into detail but you will see in book 7 big time !!

Lets hope the Comic book King has planned with Marvel can "re-polish" the series a bit in my eyes
I don't know, that really didn't occur to me as I was reading it. The pace was fast, but it seemed to fit with the increasing necessity of drawing ever closer to a destination shrouded in the subversion of an already appocalyptic reality. The one moment that I found to be a bit scary (in terms of the direction of the plot) was when King began to incorporate himself. However, it didn't become license to non-sensically alter the plot, or provide an easy out to every difficult situation. I don't know if any of you ever read the Xanth series (Piers Anthony) when you were younger, but if you did, maybe you remember the advent of Ivy . . . Her one magical talent was that she could imbue characteristics upon a person or thing as long as she actually believed them to be true. Basically, all she had to do to get through a sticky situation was believe that she could and voila! I lost interest in the series at that point. Anyway, that's where I feared King might be going with his own inclusion in the plot- a carte blanche to melt adversity. But he didn't, and I read on gleefully.

And tomhet, get yourself that book, man. You're pissing on the face of your father! Kennnit?

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-07-2006, 09:57 AM
+++++ Spoilers For Dark Tower ++++++

I just felt that Mordred was built up and built up then died like that.....
Flaggs death was anti-climatic too ........ The Crimson King gets erased by Patrick Danville ?!?!? I mean he is pretty much evil incarnate but this kid can erase him ?!? WTF ??? and pretty much all of Insomnia is wrong ?!?!

Those were the parts I was like WTF....other then that it was brilliant

Choice Breath
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Maynard is a trig cove. I kind of wished I had stopped where he tells the reader, in book 7, that you could stop right there and leave the rest to your imagination. I was actually pissed for awhile, after all of that for it to end (so to speak) like that. I am at peace with it now and kind of like the "end". Clint Eastwood would have to play Roland.

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-07-2006, 10:04 AM
If they did it right that movie series would be the better then LOTR and Star Wars put together..........

By the Way...I hate to hijack the board but what was your favorite of the books ??

Mine = Wizard and Glass

beny2
06-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Lost Keys reminds me of the King DT story where Roland is in a hospital and there are vampire-nurses trying to operate on him. I think this occurred after the first book when he executed the whole town. This story was in a collection of short stories called (I think) Everything's Eventual. The hospital (with the bugs from DT7) reminds me of Lost Keys. Also some of the album artwork reminds me of DT7 art like the Crimson King's throne of skulls. My fav. book was either Wastlands or Wizard and Glass.

deuceman
06-08-2006, 07:03 AM
As movies:
It = trash

Stand By Me was good...if one overlooks the cheesy, feel good nature of it all.
Shawshank Redemption was good...ditto above
The Green Mile was good...ditto ditto above

The Long Walk would be awesome...especially the headshots...

paraflux
06-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Ok, Stand By Me was ok, Shawshank was incredible, and Green Mile was pretty damn good. Agreed.

deuceman
06-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Ok, Stand By Me was ok, Shawshank was incredible, and Green Mile was pretty damn good. Agreed.

Come on, Paraflux! We know you want the headshots too!!

"Beautiful pink smiles for everyone!"

Choice Breath
06-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Okay, anybody else get a chubby when Rhea of the Coos does the test for virginity?

blair's man sausage
06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Regarding IT (movie):

1st part with the kids: Great
2nd part with the adults, Trash.

exactly...had so much potential...

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
lol choice......

opiated
06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Lost Keys reminds me of the King DT story where Roland is in a hospital and there are vampire-nurses trying to operate on him. I think this occurred after the first book when he executed the whole town. This story was in a collection of short stories called (I think) Everything's Eventual. The hospital (with the bugs from DT7) reminds me of Lost Keys. Also some of the album artwork reminds me of DT7 art like the Crimson King's throne of skulls. My fav. book was either Wastlands or Wizard and Glass.

The story was titled "The Little Sisters of Eluria". ;)

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Little Sisters also has a lot of odd similarities to Talisman/Black House

tomhet
06-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I prefer "The Waste Lands" (which by the way got me into reading T. S. Eliot, you all should read it, it's incredible) that ending kept me suffering more than three years. I liked Dreamcatcher, that's perhaps the best of his latest novels. The movie was awful, it was like an involuntary comedy.

About the IT movie, I just don't care, once you read the book you don't come back.

Yeah I've got to get the seventh DT, but I just don't have the money right now and in my country it costs more than 50 bucks and most of the book sellers at Ebay are very tight-assed about international shipping.

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Dad-a-chum? Dad-a-chok? Did-a-chee? Blame Hofmann, he lost the keys . . .

skripture
06-10-2006, 09:21 PM
The Dark Tower series is one of my favorite book series EVER, though I'm not a huge King fan.... it's a beautiful portrayal of the sacrifices that must be made to achieve a particular goal, but also questions whether such sacrifices are actually worth it.

I don't think it relates to 10,000 days at all, however.

noresolution2
06-10-2006, 09:29 PM

It should have been a lot better. Not horrible, but they left out some big details from the book. Should have been a real movie, not just made-for-tv in my opinion.

paraflux
06-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Really? How about this connection, in the DT series, the hero does whatever he must do in order to stop the breaking of the beams. His quest, because his lineage had sworn to protect the beams, compelled him to do this. And his method was destruction for those who stepped in his way, including those who operated the breaker facility, where they were breaking the last of the beams. Do you not see any relation at all between these stories?

swampyfool
06-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Really? How about this connection, in the DT series, the hero does whatever he must do in order to stop the breaking of the beams. His quest, because his lineage had sworn to protect the beams, compelled him to do this. And his method was destruction for those who stepped in his way, including those who operated the breaker facility, where they were breaking the last of the beams. Do you not see any relation at all between these stories?
I do.

opiated
06-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Page 176 of "Bag of Bones" on the subject of an air conditioning unit: "Damn thing shit the bed."

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
wasnt christine a good movie? Maximum Overdrive .also misery was awesome.# Pet Sematary classic.
Christine sucked as a movie. I thought Pet Cemetary was a good movie, until I read the book. I'll give you Misery- Kathy Bates is a scary, scary, crazy, loony bitch.

jdub420
06-29-2006, 08:08 AM
didnt realize so many people were into the tower books on these boards.
the tower books should be out as graphic novels come 2007
done by marvel
"it" is being redone as a miniseries
cell is being made by eli roth the guy who made hostel(after he finishes hostel2)
1408 starring jon cusack should be out next year
talisman in pre production
special edition of eluria should be out soon by grant publishing
new king book out in october 17th liseys story
nightmare and dreamscapes jul 19th i think is when it starts on tnt

if any one cares

skripture
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Yeah, I do see the connection there... I mean, the dark tower encompasses a lot of themes and so does 10,000 days, so some of them are going to tie together. But altogether, I don't think they deal with the same basic concept. There are a lot of things that tie together, tho, when you really think about it...

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I do see the connection there... I mean, the dark tower encompasses a lot of themes and so does 10,000 days, so some of them are going to tie together. But altogether, I don't think they deal with the same basic concept. There are a lot of things that tie together, tho, when you really think about it...
I don't know, man. I think the similarities lie more within the basic idea than anything else. Roland and his ever-evolving band of gunslingers fight for unity in the face of extreme division. Unity in the face of extreme division is exactly what this album is about.

mindstream
06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Yes but :

A) He will not forget the face of his father
B) He will be awesome at Riddiling
C) He will only fear Slow Mutants and Psycho Monorails

D'OH!!!!!!

you spoiler you....

jdub420
06-29-2006, 04:01 PM
If they did it right that movie series would be the better then LOTR and Star Wars put together..........

By the Way...I hate to hijack the board but what was your favorite of the books ??

Mine = Wizard and Glass

mine = drawing of the three

on a side note i got to meet king at a small book signing in CT very nice down to earth guy.

got my book 7 signed and got it early

NOT TO RUB IT IN OR ANYTHING

who do you guys think should play eddie or sussanah
i would go with johnny depp for eddie

how the hell could they pull off that bullet trick with his hand

its almost like they would have to be animated films

got inspired last night and reread the gunslinger
cant start at drawing so im going on the journey again

jdub420
07-24-2006, 01:11 PM
mine = drawing of the three

on a side note i got to meet king at a small book signing in CT very nice down to earth guy.

got my book 7 signed and got it early

NOT TO RUB IT IN OR ANYTHING

who do you guys think should play eddie or sussanah
i would go with johnny depp for eddie

how the hell could they pull off that bullet trick with his hand

its almost like they would have to be animated films

got inspired last night and reread the gunslinger
cant start at drawing so im going on the journey again

now on book 3 again and am so looking forward to the comics

Caduceus11
07-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I always hoped they'd have done the DarkTower series in 3D-Animation like they did with Final Fantasy....that'd be sweet...I'm just afraid of what the "insecure (actors)actresses" might do to the characters....
Who will play Roland of Gilead....long days and pleasant nights gunslingers..
(that's the name of my fantasy football team: Gunslingers)hehehehe---

scaredsquirrel
07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
What was that hospital series all about...it got aired over here breifly...I can't remember the name...had a huge anteater in it and I think something to do with the collective unconscious...

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Anyone ever read "The Long Walk" Put that with "Vicarious" it's werid

Roland
07-29-2006, 05:44 PM
good thread

14thDosage
07-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Motherfuckers need to post [Spoilers] in the thread title, I still haven't read the 6th and 7th books >.<

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Anyone else read the long Walk??

Nikola Petrovic
07-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Its quite simple

All these references in his books to the dark tower series. And yes, all the books reference to the Dark Tower series, not the other way around. Its all very simple why...and im gonna tell you...

The dark tower is held up by beams, without the beams the world ends.

The other books referencing to the DT series are the beams, the dark tower being simply, the dark tower.

Stephen King has mentioned many times that the dark tower series is his masterwork.

Now, as for the world ending if the beams break.

He gave the dark tower credibility and a sense of being real by making references. Thus building the world. Now if you would remove all the books supporting the DT series.

blah blah

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 06:08 PM
I read the long walk but the end confused me anyone care to give an opinion??

Nikola Petrovic
07-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I read the long walk but the end confused me anyone care to give an opinion??

read again?

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 06:12 PM
read again?
No seriously see I think I might have poor vision and can only read about a chapter at a time and might have missed something but really didn't understand the end. Care to elaborite??

Nikola Petrovic
07-29-2006, 06:13 PM
i was just saying, havent read it

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 06:15 PM
i was just saying, havent read it
Understood Thanks for nothing. :()

Nikola Petrovic
07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Understood Thanks for nothing. :()

youre very welcome.

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 06:21 PM
youre very welcome.
Thanks for the welcome. :()

One Dark Flame
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
That Last Thanks was a joke.

HanInCarbonite
08-01-2006, 12:43 AM
The Long Walk would be awesome...especially the headshots...

That's a great idea, I just recently read that along w/ Rage in The Bachman Books. They'd probably get some cool steady cam thing for the headshots.

HanInCarbonite
08-01-2006, 12:47 AM
read again?
I think he just goes nuts, that's what I got out of it. After the shock of just everything that happend just prior too.

paraflux
08-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Sorry I havent revisited this thread for a while.

If you want to get to the "basic" concept of either Tool's releases as a whole or the DT series as a whole, you'll find common ground. At the core, the DT series is about how the world moves on and about the destruction that is necessary to save it in the end. I mean, you can have your own thoughts about Tool, sure, but to me it says the same thing.

edit: another similarity is that King drew from his past works to make this series, similar to what Tool did for 10KD. You dont see people bashing King for taking his characters to new adventures, yet you see people bashing Tool for doing just that.

tiryth
08-01-2006, 09:57 AM
This song ALWAYS reminds me of Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. The part where they are in the cabin in the woods and shit starts happening with the guy they meet and the alien. If i was reading that part, id have to have Lost Keys as the soundtrack. I always do that, The Stand i have Division Bell and Momentary Lapse on repeat for the whole book - i will have to read dreamcatcher with 10,000 days and Lateralus i reckon!

14thDosage
08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Nothing to do with the song, but a similarity between King and Tool....anyone else ever think that the emphasis on Forty-sixth and second in New York (Where the Dark Tower exists) was a reference to the idea of Forty-six and two? Seems to be a significant place in the books...coincendatal maybe? Doubt it. Just a thought though.

Alex in Chains
08-07-2006, 08:16 AM
I want to hear a concept album about The Dark Tower. Beam says thankya.

44&4
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Come, Comala!!!!

Pusrot
08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
My biggest Tool - SK connection would be that I picked up Salival on the same day that I picked up The Stand. Now I can't listen to No Quarter without being reminded of The Stand, which really isn't a bad thing at all. The mood of the song and the mood of the book fit extremely well together.

swampyfool
08-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Nothing to do with the song, but a similarity between King and Tool....anyone else ever think that the emphasis on Forty-sixth and second in New York (Where the Dark Tower exists) was a reference to the idea of Forty-six and two? Seems to be a significant place in the books...coincendatal maybe? Doubt it. Just a thought though.

Nice . . . That's a great call.

tabula.rassa
08-19-2006, 05:07 PM
SHIT WEASELS!!!!!!!!

That's one of the very few things of horror literature that gave me nightmares. I liked that novel, Dreamcatcher, a lot, it's very sad.

Shit, I haven't read DT7

you should read it immediately... don't expect anything. at all... just read it.

you owe it to yourself if you've read the other six.

King is amazing...

tabula.rassa
08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
edit: another similarity is that King drew from his past works to make this series, similar to what Tool did for 10KD. You dont see people bashing King for taking his characters to new adventures, yet you see people bashing Tool for doing just that.

this is a good point. i've read so many posts about, how "this song sux, because it sounds like this other song..."

i embrace that. i love that so many songs on 10k days make me think of other songs, so i go back and listen to the other albums, and it makes me draw my on correlations and conclusions.

wonderful.

there's only one other band that i can think of that has made me do that...

Opiate_Of_The_Mind
08-19-2006, 06:38 PM
The best Tool song for Steven King would be Parabol. Creepy and awesome.

Syd
09-20-2006, 10:54 AM
So this got me thinking,
Stephen King writes about the Crimson King
And
Tool and played a concert and was influenced by King Crimson.

Maybe there is a connection!

Tomhet – go to the library and get DT7! Damn, now I might have to read the series again too!

duncang
09-20-2006, 12:27 PM
So this got me thinking,
Stephen King writes about the Crimson King
And
Tool and played a concert and was influenced by King Crimson.

Maybe there is a connection!

Tomhet – go to the library and get DT7! Damn, now I might have to read the series again too!

I'd like to say that that is really just a coincidence.

Syd
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I'd like to say that that is really just a coincidence.

Or maybe it is just RANDOM.

paraflux
09-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Funny how randomness occurs.

NewUser
09-23-2006, 10:03 AM

Mine = Wizard and Glass

The Gunslinger

Followed by a tie between The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands

Akuma
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
My laws, there's some stuff here I didn't put together here. King does fit nicely with Tool.

M-O-O-N, that spells Tool.

Kyndig
01-07-2007, 06:39 AM

I somehow missed this thread due to my sporadic online patterns...

I just happened to start rereading the Dark Tower series shortly before 10,000 Days came out - when the album leaked I was only able to get my hands on the tracks Vicarious and Wings pt. 2 - I always like to listen to music while I read, and obviously being the only new Tool I had at the time, I was listening exclusively to these two tracks while I read the whole series.

However, I found Vicarious to be a little too distracting - so I listened to wings2 a lot more.

Ever since then, everytime I hear Wings pt. 2, it makes me think of DT series.

My favorite DT book is Wizard & Glass - gotta love Cuthbert Allgood

I don't think making a movie would be a great idea - would have to be a giant series of movies but I don't see any studio taking a chance on something like that.

Opiate Son
04-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow, just found this thread, Love the Dark Tower series and my favorites are Wizard and Glass and DT7: The Dark Tower, i thought the ending was epic. I read the last few pages over and over.

I don't know if i could make a connection to Tool other than it's my favorite band and favorite author.

Opiate Son
04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Page 176 of "Bag of Bones" on the subject of an air conditioning unit: "Damn thing shit the bed."

I cought that too, he mentions another writer that used that term but i forget who. i'll have to go back through my copy of "Bag of bones"

GoLoBuLouS
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
From out of left field I just want to add that the Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned intro together sounds like something out of a Stephen King film... like AC/DC on the movie Maximum Overdrive.

That brings back a nice fun feeling.

Sleeper0013
02-09-2008, 02:16 AM
I should poiint out that The Dark tower series was inspired by the Poem "Child roland to the dark tower comes". The writer; whos name i cant remember at the moment, was involved in occult practice...

InsolentBystander
02-09-2008, 10:42 AM
“Child Roland…” was written by Victorian poet Robert Browning. I’ve not heard anything about him being involved in “occult practice”, whatever that means.

Nikeda-Taylor
02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
That would be awesome!!! I love Stephen King and tool..that's a good combination. xp

irelandish
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
SK and Tool would be the perfectcolaboration for movie and soundtrak, i also didnt no that so many people are into SK, but im slightly only a newbie at tool and SK

My dad got me into it, and great connections and interesting how SK and Tool have the same references.