PDA

View Full Version : Religious Imagery in 'The Pot'

Bukkhead
05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I searched the forums for a similar topic, couldn't find one. Please flame if I am mistaken and this has been discussed already.

Would love to see discussion on all the religious imagery in this song. Long shots, weak interpetations, "making a stretch" and just plain silliness welcome.

Possible interpretations:
Eyeballs deep in muddy water: baptism (the irony being that baptisms performed in actual lakes or streams, and indeed the baptism of Jesus himself, are in dirty or muddy water. Also, since he is only eyeball deep, the baptism isn't even completed.)

Practically raised the dead: could be a sarcastic reference to Lazerus, or a sarcastic reference to the subjects self-described sanctimony.

Rob the grave: Lazerus, or even Jesus's own tomb, empty after three days.

Snow, the cradle: the "alleged" winter-time birth of Christ.

Weep in shades of chosen indigo: John 11:35. Tears of (sacrificial) blood, also indigo = purple, the color of royalty/divinity

Liar, Lawyer: Pharisees. Jewish "Rules" lawyers, those who "tried" Jesus in the Kangeroo court.

Kangeroo done hung the guilty with the innocent: Jesus was innocent of sin, but was found "guilty" of his crimes.

So, here is what the song is "about" : It seeks to lambast those who would judge, especially if said judgement is based in some kind of religious self-righteousness, since 1) to call oneself a Christian is to admit one adheres to tenets that include considering one a sinner (for everyone is born in sin) and in this way condeming someone else for being a sinner is the pot calling the kettle black, and 2) the man who for whom Christianity is named was himself tried and executed, so to use that act to try and execute others is hypocritical.

And how about this: the "real' Kangeroo court was held in Heaven, since Jesus was sent specifically to be sacrificed. I like how the singer avoids the word crucifixion, but uses "stoned" and "hung" to describe execution.

Okay, flames on. Remember to wave your fingers when telling me I'm wrong.

JE

negative_creep
06-10-2006, 11:23 PM
what are you a philosophy major? you read into songs so much to try to find the meaning of them. don't you think that maybe there is no meaning at all, that he was just writing what popped up in his head. musicians do it all the time. that's called writing a song. you need to just sit back and listen to this great song and not observe so much.

herbnut
06-11-2006, 07:18 PM
The religious imagery may be on purpose but I highly doubt that its solely about that. I mean it is not too controversial to assume that the "pot calling the kettle black" is perhaps the central theme of the song, but the instances where that type of thing happens are numerous.

Perhaps disputes/allegations based on religious grounds are emphasized through the religious imagery? Example. Gay marrige/abortion laws that are passed by a secular court but are largely based on religious grounds (and in the states it would almost certainly be some branch of Christianity) ? I always found it strange that people who follow a religon that stresses forgiveness and acceptance so vehemently condemn the choices of other people.

When they made those laws they must have been high.

PS. I am a philosophy major, so I apologize for any unnecessary reflections.

Artistic Sickness
06-11-2006, 07:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with taking more out of a song than may be there to begin with. If whomever gets more enjoyment out of excessive analyzing, then good for them. I dont agree with all being said about the religious undertones, but they are quite interesting observations.
I also think someone in another thread mentioned this already... but i'm very possibly wrong.

AguirreWrathOfTool
06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
As Maynard says, we're all entitled to our own interpretation, and if it serves a positive effect, then Tool has met its goal. While your interpretation is certainly unique and quite different from mine, it certainly got you thinking and led to observations that demonstrate progressive, positive thought. Well done.

Luosdasa
06-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Personally, i think your looking too hard for metaphors that aint there... lol, but you certainately found em.

Fair enough interpritation, imo a bit of s stretch, but each to his own meaning...

Bukkhead
06-12-2006, 11:21 AM
If I may be so bold, to the naysayers who say that there is "too much" interpretation or unecessary interpreation: try to be a little less prescriptivist. I am not "explaining" the song, I am trying to "explicate" the song. Discussing the meaning of the words is an artistic act, inspired by the song itself. To say it is "wrong" to do so is to say it is "wrong" to paint pictures. Would you say that Da Vinci should not have bothered painting the Mona Lisa since there is no point in trying to "artify" her face? No. These interpretations exist for their own sake. We are not historians and psychologists seeking to establish truth. We are art-lovers seeking to deepen our experiences.

Back on topic-- the religious imagery might be nothing more than metaphorical, not the message of the song itself. That's a worthy topic for debate. Oh, and above, I may have been mistaken when I called-out the pharisees. I probably meant the Sanhedrin in general.

--JE

PS "Philosophy Majors" do not engage in this sort of discussion, stereotypically. This is the bailywick of "English Majors."