PDA

View Full Version : You guys keep thinking Maynard loves jesus..

lateralus0
05-13-2006, 09:07 AM
This song can be very simply interpreted to NOT include any reference to Maynard loving Jesus or believing in an all-powerful God.

"But I, I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day"

Maynard doesn't want to lose his mother.

"A love of the dark side I'd found.
Dabble in all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.
But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round"

His mother brought him out of a state of depression?

"Shine on upon the severed
Shine until the two become one"

Together, his mother was a personal savior and they were very close.

"Divided I'm withering away
Divide and I'm withering away"

Without her he is losing it, withering away.

"Breathe in union
Breathe in union
So as one survive
Another day and season"

This song obviously has a lot os spirituality, but nothing to do with dogmatic chrisitian bullshit. "So as one survive" - Maynard lives on, his mother is dead, but life goes on.

Exegesis
05-13-2006, 09:15 AM
i take this song to be about his son.
that's just the feeling i get.

wings/10k is dedicated to his mom.

jambi is a genie, and it just fits more with speaking of a child, than a mother.

pee wee's playhouse is probably one of devo's favorite shows.

i have no idea. that's just my thoughts on it.

Warartist
05-13-2006, 09:44 AM
i dont think jambi refferes to the genie.

i dont think maynard loves jesus, tho there are deffinate religios undertones to alot of tool songs and not only christian ones. i wouldnt say that the context he speaks about christianity in should make anyone think that he "loves jesus"
and i think for the most part ppl on here who belive he's talking about christianity simply think he's talking about it and not that he's practicing it.

spiritual yes.

christian no.

thats my opinion.

this song, i geuss i can see where ppl might think thats what he's singing about but i for one do not.
also, i could see this song possibly being about a significant other, rater that his mom or son.

mandy

Warartist
05-13-2006, 09:54 AM
also, devo poped out in 95 i think, and pee wee wasnt on the air anymore so i dont know that he would have even seen it on the saturday morning cartoon's.
i know somone in another post thought that maybe maynard liked to get high and watch pee wee, that doesnt make alot of since to me either maynard from what i've heard didnt mess around with that shit much and i just see him finding somthing better to do with his time if he did get fucked up other than watchin pee wee's play house. he's alot older than me and that shit was on when i was a kid.

lateralus0
05-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Jambi- the genie- would always pop out of nowhere and be like "Did somebody say wish?"

Maynard wishes a lot of things about his mother.

May be a connection there

CaseLogic
05-13-2006, 12:32 PM
It makes more sense to be about his son other than his mother, I think he had already come to terms to the fact that he lost his mother about 27 yrs ago

Warartist
05-13-2006, 03:14 PM
may be a connection. for you.

JShaney
05-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I, for one, interpreted this song to be about Jesus entirely. However, not love for Jesus, but the fact that he has bared witness to his mother's life and in turn came to decide that there may be a god. In the song he compares himself to this god throughout the entire song.

Beginning with his admission that if he were god he would feast like a sultan while watching everything/everyone below him from his king's view. But he says that if he saw that he might lose someone he loves while he was living a king's life he would give up all the pleasantries/greed to save them (wish it all away).

I believe his point is that if God does exist than God is a feasting sultan, and while if he were in his position he would give it all up to save someone, God would rather feast while others "kneel away there center" to him and God still does nothing. Then, he says that no prize (going to heavan??) is worth his kneeling before this sultan-like god.

He'd rather (damn my eyes) see damnation than bow before a god who would choose his wants (feasting on treasures and flesh like a sultan) over other needs, and in doing so compromise his peoples' stability (fulcrum).

In closing he says he says shut up all of you who tell me to worship some sultan, get out of my way.

ktrip
05-14-2006, 12:34 AM
i agree on it being about his son... a few reasons why:

"here from the kings mountain view..." first stanza about maynards epic success

"but i would wish it all away if i thought i'd lose you just one day" would give it up to cos he loves his son

"the devil and his had me down..." hes done some fucked up shit

"but you changed that all for me..." self explanitory [mmmm blues album]

"pray like a martyr... begged like a hooker" he tried the righteous, he tried the not-so-righteous [he sold his soul to make a record, dipshit] and eventually, got what he wanted.

then hes wishin it away again...

"no pressure could hold sway or justify giving away my center" his son means so much to him, and nothing could change that.

"so if i could id wish it all away if i thought tomorrow theyd take you away" ....

"you're my piece of mind my all i said im just tryin to hold on one more day" his son means everything to him, but he still has things he has to do, [with tool, or wine, or whatever]

damn my eyes, jambi eyes, dim my eyes [still dont know which/combinations... eh]

"**** eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum watching me divide me then i might as well be gone" this other shit hes doing [tool, wine] are making his ego move the metaphorical fulcrum which is balancing the shit hes doin - his son. this division sucks for maynard, hes the kind of all or nothing guy, and he cant give all or nothing to so many things at once, he cant seem to reconcile a happy medium, this angers him.

the rest is a message to his son:

"shine on forever shine on benevolent son, shine down upon the broken, shone on til two become one" hes sayin be good to people, share your light.

"divide and i'll wither away..." while he cant focus entirely on his son at this point in their lives, he cant detatch from him either.

"breathe in union" stay close...

"so, as one, survive another day and season" by yourself, keep surviving

"silently just save your poison" assuming from his other albums, that maynard sees pain as form of growth, he is saying, that altho devo is hurting now, take that pain, and anger, save it [like say, maynard did with his mother perhaps?] and use it as a tool. [it had to be said.]

"silenctly just stay out of my way" this line doesnt make a huge amount of sense to me? maybe maynard is saying like, fuck off for now, let me get all this shit done, so i can focus 100% on you, go away and shine on, until us two become one?...

i dont know....

this is just what i hear when i listen. it could be wrong, it could be right, only tool really know i guess....

cheers for readin.

-ktrip

Warartist
05-14-2006, 09:11 AM
I, for one, interpreted this song to be about Jesus entirely. However, not love for Jesus, but the fact that he has bared witness to his mother's life and in turn came to decide that there may be a god. In the song he compares himself to this god throughout the entire song.

Beginning with his admission that if he were god he would feast like a sultan while watching everything/everyone below him from his king's view. But he says that if he saw that he might lose someone he loves while he was living a king's life he would give up all the pleasantries/greed to save them (wish it all away).

I believe his point is that if God does exist than God is a feasting sultan, and while if he were in his position he would give it all up to save someone, God would rather feast while others "kneel away there center" to him and God still does nothing. Then, he says that no prize (going to heavan??) is worth his kneeling before this sultan-like god.

He'd rather (damn my eyes) see damnation than bow before a god who would choose his wants (feasting on treasures and flesh like a sultan) over other needs, and in doing so compromise his peoples' stability (fulcrum).

In closing he says he says shut up all of you who tell me to worship some sultan, get out of my way.

SEE, they dont think he loves jesus!
i think this is good interpretation.

mandy

eslupminoyler
05-14-2006, 08:02 PM
He feels connected to God again, and he is praying, "Dim my eyes, if they should compromise our fulcrum". Basically, if my eyes cause me to sin, which would separate us (him and God), the wishes his eyes were damn, dimmed, and punished like Jambi from natural disasters.
He is relating the sin of Jambi with his own sin.

insaner
05-14-2006, 10:09 PM
i take this song to be about his son.
that's just the feeling i get.

wings/10k is dedicated to his mom.

jambi is a genie, and it just fits more with speaking of a child, than a mother.

pee wee's playhouse is probably one of devo's favorite shows.

i have no idea. that's just my thoughts on it.

actually thats one of my thoughts, and you stole it.

ktrip
05-15-2006, 04:49 AM
dont get me wrong, but if you think nards become xtian again, wouldnt it be illogical, to assume that even his mother, would be able to run around at the gates of heaven ordering the father son and spirit around?... like... i thought the trinity were the bees knees of the pyramid of power in christianity, its pretty blasphemous then, to assume that his mother could run around ordering them around...

but then, i dont disagree that he might be comparing himself to god throughout this song [thats right... maynard has an ego, who's a thought?] in which case, the song would be about jesus, who, out of maynards head, would be his son, devo...

Exegesis
05-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Live in Oakland on 5/4, before they played Jambi, Maynard said "Pee Wee's Playhouse, always a fun time" (or something to that effect).

Jambi is a genie.

the song talks about wishing away things.

So, obviously the song can be interpreted as such.

In no way would i claim that this is the final answer, but that's how i take it, because it feels right to me.

Maynard does not have a personal relationship with Jesus, and neither does anybody on the entire planet.

jugheadsjonesin
05-15-2006, 10:25 AM
This song can be very simply interpreted to NOT include any reference to Maynard loving Jesus or believing in an all-powerful God.

"But I, I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day"

Maynard doesn't want to lose his mother.

"A love of the dark side I'd found.
Dabble in all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.
But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round"

His mother brought him out of a state of depression?

"Shine on upon the severed
Shine until the two become one"

Together, his mother was a personal savior and they were very close.

"Divided I'm withering away
Divide and I'm withering away"

Without her he is losing it, withering away.

"Breathe in union
Breathe in union
So as one survive
Another day and season"

This song obviously has a lot os spirituality, but nothing to do with dogmatic chrisitian bullshit. "So as one survive" - Maynard lives on, his mother is dead, but life goes on.

How cute. that's a very ENG 201 interpretation of the song.

mattsmom
05-15-2006, 10:35 AM
i agree on it being about his son... a few reasons why:

"here from the kings mountain view..." first stanza about maynards epic success

"but i would wish it all away if i thought i'd lose you just one day" would give it up to cos he loves his son

"the devil and his had me down..." hes done some fucked up shit

"but you changed that all for me..." self explanitory [mmmm blues album]

"pray like a martyr... begged like a hooker" he tried the righteous, he tried the not-so-righteous [he sold his soul to make a record, dipshit] and eventually, got what he wanted.

then hes wishin it away again...

"no pressure could hold sway or justify giving away my center" his son means so much to him, and nothing could change that.

"so if i could id wish it all away if i thought tomorrow theyd take you away" ....

"you're my piece of mind my all i said im just tryin to hold on one more day" his son means everything to him, but he still has things he has to do, [with tool, or wine, or whatever]

damn my eyes, jambi eyes, dim my eyes [still dont know which/combinations... eh]

"**** eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum watching me divide me then i might as well be gone" this other shit hes doing [tool, wine] are making his ego move the metaphorical fulcrum which is balancing the shit hes doin - his son. this division sucks for maynard, hes the kind of all or nothing guy, and he cant give all or nothing to so many things at once, he cant seem to reconcile a happy medium, this angers him.

the rest is a message to his son:

"shine on forever shine on benevolent son, shine down upon the broken, shone on til two become one" hes sayin be good to people, share your light.

"divide and i'll wither away..." while he cant focus entirely on his son at this point in their lives, he cant detatch from him either.

"breathe in union" stay close...

"so, as one, survive another day and season" by yourself, keep surviving

"silently just save your poison" assuming from his other albums, that maynard sees pain as form of growth, he is saying, that altho devo is hurting now, take that pain, and anger, save it [like say, maynard did with his mother perhaps?] and use it as a tool. [it had to be said.]

"silenctly just stay out of my way" this line doesnt make a huge amount of sense to me? maybe maynard is saying like, fuck off for now, let me get all this shit done, so i can focus 100% on you, go away and shine on, until us two become one?...

i dont know....

this is just what i hear when i listen. it could be wrong, it could be right, only tool really know i guess....

cheers for readin.

-ktrip

Totally agree with this summation. Do believe you hit the nail directly on the head. Cheers to you!

jugheadsjonesin
05-15-2006, 11:20 AM

I'd like to preface this post by saying READ ALL of what I have to say if you are going to reply or critisize what I post.

In what way is God a "feasting sultan"? Just curious, because I don't remember ever hearing a story in which God ate, or one in which his rotundness implied feasting.

I also doubt that Maynard is such a baby to say "shut up all of you who tell me to worship some sultan, get out of my way."

That sounds like some 14 year old poser goth girl bullshit. like "Southern Baptists/Catholics are all mean people and judge me, so i'm not gonna believe in God anymore".

Don't forget that maynard is a fucking rock star when you interpret this shit. even the tamest of bands have had scores of women, booze and drugs, (unless they're straight edge or something equivalent) but none of it is as important or real as human life and emotional connections. That's what the feasting line is probably about. A life of excess. I say probably because nobody on here knows for sure.

It's so easy and cool for everyone on these forum boards to interpret every Tool song as being anti-Christianity. It's retarded. Even if you don't believe that Christ was the son of God, he taught great things like FORGIVENESS. Too many people on here hate the idea of Christ and God and Christians, but the ideas of Christianity (i.e. the New Testament after Christ died so that humans could be forgiven instead of smited) like love, forgiveness, charity don't deserve hatred.

Hating on christianity is an angsty, juvenile reaction to the actions of Christians (people, fallible human beings) like Southern Baptists or Catholics. People hate Christianity because SOME Christians judge or don't empathize with what they don't understand - which is hypocritical and against Christ's teachings. Or they hate it because it tells us that random sex and intoxication and living for self-gratification are bad (if you need evidence, one in three people has an STD for example)

I have met Northern Baptists that were some of the most amazing people. I worked for a Baptist who had three children of his own AND EIGHT foster children. Children that were dysfunctional and needed love. Love that they never got from snoody cynical atheists or temporary foster homes. Children with learning dissabilities and birth defects that most people would never want to raise because they weren't happy pretty children. He was a sheperd by Christ's definition.

I'm not preaching. Not by a long shot. I'm saying watch your mouth and THINK for a second to EVERYONE on here. I'm not trying to say I'm some kind of pure Christian either. I've eaten sheets of acid, had plenty of one night stands, used people, I'm an alcoholic, and I'm a glutton. That's really only scratching the surface for examples to let everyone know I'm not some preachy Christian, but the teachings of Christ are good. And you know what? A lot of that aforementioned shit that the Bible says is bad led to some bad things happening in my life as a consquence.

I'm pretty sure that people on these boards are going to start getting pretty pissed off at me and I may even get banned (this is my first day posting, and like 5 out of six posts are challenging posters or ridiculing them) and I think it's great. Tool has always been about challenging ideas and boundaries.

Shaney, I'm sorry I'm dumping all of this onto you. It's not that you are like the worst poster ever. This is really a post for everyone, and your post just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back after an hour or so of reading some of the most unintelligent posts I've ever read about one of the most intelligent bands of the past couple decades.

The Internet is the biggest two-edged sword to come around since the splitting of the atom. Anyone can instantly post their opinion no matter how little thought they actually put into it, and that to me is kind of dangerous. Again, I'm not some prude. But I just don't think that a lot of Internet users think before they act. If ten years from now, people were forced to listen or read everything they had said, I'm pretty we'd all be kicking our own asses, and permanently blushing with embarassment. Myself included. I'm just trying to encourage everyone to think first (I'm sure Tool, the band that you all seem to intimately know so much about would do the same. And don't get me wrong I do love Tool's music. It's soul-crushingly amazing.)

silerwen
05-15-2006, 02:16 PM
the evidence for proving Maynard Loves Jesus, is somewhat comparable to the evidence that Jesus ever existed at all...

hmmm..

i'm thinking your just trying to find a way to relate to Maynard. other than that... are you fucking kidding?..... aren't we talking about a band that has attributed so many ideas from their "hero" Bill Hicks.

and these explanations.. better than the bible if i say so myself

thanks for the laugh

Max T.
05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
no, Maynard surely does not love Jesus, and I am surprised some think so (apparently...). But also, I definately believe that the song is referenced to his son, not his mother. If you use enough logic, you can make this presumption.

Reasons:
Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are both dedicated to his mother, making it more clear than this song does. It seems unlikely that Maynard would make three distinct songs based on his mother. Obviously he loved her very much, but 3 songs on one album??? not such a good reason, but it is logical.

More importantly, the Jambi line goes, "If I could I'd wish it all away, if I thought I'd lose you just one day." This implies that the directed person is still alive, because think about it, Wings and 10,000 are about his mother who has already passed away. "IF i thought I'd lose you" implying that he would give away everything for this person IF this happened. It is too late to say this about his mother, and using other lines, I believe it to be more relating to his son instead.

JShaney
05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
jugheadsojonesin - what are you even talking about!

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings and I did not once critisize you in my post.....you lost me somewhere within your whole "in what way is god a feasting sultan" rant, as I and likely maynard did not intent on a literal "eat food" context.

I only gave my interpretation just as you did the same....I do have the right as well ya know. I think you were possibly misunderstanding my intentions anyway.

My interpretation was that the song is about how god can just sit up in heavan while good people who kneel to him suffer there entire life without him answering their prayers. By this his analogy is that heavan is the mountain view, and watching people who god claims to love suffer is feasting on "flesh". The point of the song (IMO) is that he would rather be damned than bow before someone who acts like a sultan, and if he were god he admittedly would take advantage of the benefites of the power, but not at the expense of the life of someone he loves.

Lastly, this is my interpretation about what the song means and only that.
I am a faithful christian and in no way do i believe this message to hold any merit. I've read the book of job and without intending offense to anyone who may disagree, I believe that Judith is right and Maynard is wrong. I hate to see people suffer just as much as anyone, but a christian realizes that life on earth is not even comparable to a nanosecond in terms of eternity. Judith seemed to believe this as well.

Erowyn
05-15-2006, 06:58 PM
this song is about his son.... he has already lost his mother so how can he wish away everything he has to keep her just one more day? that makes no sense... he would wish away everything he has to keep his son with him if he thought that tomorrow would take Devo away think about it...

Goodwin
05-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Maynard is God... He loves everyone.

eslupminoyler
05-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Maynard is God... He loves everyone.

Maynard is not God, but God still loves you for speaking inanely.

foursixandtwo
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
It makes more sense to be about his son other than his mother, I think he had already come to terms to the fact that he lost his mother about 27 yrs ago
doubtful he came to terms with losing his mother 27 years ago.

blackandwhite
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
this song is about his son.... he has already lost his mother so how can he wish away everything he has to keep her just one more day? that makes no sense... he would wish away everything he has to keep his son with him if he thought that tomorrow would take Devo away think about it...

Maybe he's talking about what he would have done.

JShaney
05-17-2006, 12:18 AM
yah, nothing is wrong with giving opinions of what the song could be about.

However, comments like "he has already lost his mother so how can he wish away everything he has to keep her just one more day? that makes no sense" basically assume this song can only be written in present tense (vs past) and that it all literal (vs inclusion of metaphor).

I'm not gonna rule out any possibilities, but just say that I think it's a song about how he would have sacraficed anything and everything he had if it could have saved his mother. Obviously this oppurtunity never "literally" came to be for maynard.

rstrsac
05-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Okay, I hope this doesn't come out sounding like usless babble but here goes:

The thing I love the most about listning to Tool is that there are so many posibile meanings to each song. Weather or not we get it right isn't as important as the fact that we get something. I hear so much crap on the radio that means nothing at all, it makes this type of song writing so refreshing. We'll never know if MJK's talking about his mother or his son or jesus or if he was just putting beautifull words together randomly. Chances are if you have a child you feel this way for, you will probably see it as obvious this song is about his son. If jesus is what makes you feel this way then the same applies. The point of these message boards, jugheadsjonesin, isn't to spill dangerous ideas onto the information superhighway. The point is that we can all share our feelings about what these words mean to us as individuals. I know some people really believe that there is a message in EVERY song but, while I'd like to believe this as well, it's really not likely either.

My feelings on this particular song are a little undeveloped right now but I definately think the jist is that MJK's lived a life of excess and it's taking it's toll. Think of the pressure alone of having to live up to these message boards. One guy even said "Maynard is God". Those are some big shoes to fill. I'd wish it all away too...

PatXMM
05-17-2006, 07:11 AM
I think it's about his son and his love for him while living his own life.

IMO, many Tool songs seem to have religious/christian undertones due to his upbringing. It's how he thinks and visualizes.

Having once been a 'born again christian' I like Jugheads post. Though I no longer consider myself christian, I do feel as though the message of the bible is a good one. Don't hate the bible. I'm curious as to how many people that have an opinion on the bible and christianity have actually read what the bible has to say.

Of course, in the last 2,000 years what has caused more war, death and hatred than religion and all its manifestations?

But that's mostly our own 'monkey' ass fault.

Then again, I could be completely wrong...who the hell knows.

Mecca lecca high mecca hiney hole, bitches!

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-17-2006, 08:04 AM
dont get me wrong, but if you think nards become xtian again, wouldnt it be illogical, to assume that even his mother, would be able to run around at the gates of heaven ordering the father son and spirit around?... like... i thought the trinity were the bees knees of the pyramid of power in christianity, its pretty blasphemous then, to assume that his mother could run around ordering them around...

but then, i dont disagree that he might be comparing himself to god throughout this song [thats right... maynard has an ego, who's a thought?] in which case, the song would be about jesus, who, out of maynards head, would be his son, devo...

I think that its kinda blasphemous, like you hes saying his mother can order the holy trinity around. saying taht shes the only one who can do so.
He made a comment in the aMOTION dvd about the hypocrosy of christians and their beliefs. but i think thats already been adressed in another post.

a thort just came to me, the father the son and the spirit , maynard is a father, he has a son and his mother is now a spirit, possible connection? probably not, my mind went off on an tangent there and didnt seem to follow through, haha. oh well.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-17-2006, 08:13 AM
I'd like to preface this post by saying READ ALL of what I have to say if you are going to reply or critisize what I post.

In what way is God a "feasting sultan"? Just curious, because I don't remember ever hearing a story in which God ate, or one in which his rotundness implied feasting.

I also doubt that Maynard is such a baby to say "shut up all of you who tell me to worship some sultan, get out of my way."

That sounds like some 14 year old poser goth girl bullshit. like "Southern Baptists/Catholics are all mean people and judge me, so i'm not gonna believe in God anymore".

Don't forget that maynard is a fucking rock star when you interpret this shit. even the tamest of bands have had scores of women, booze and drugs, (unless they're straight edge or something equivalent) but none of it is as important or real as human life and emotional connections. That's what the feasting line is probably about. A life of excess. I say probably because nobody on here knows for sure.

It's so easy and cool for everyone on these forum boards to interpret every Tool song as being anti-Christianity. It's retarded. Even if you don't believe that Christ was the son of God, he taught great things like FORGIVENESS. Too many people on here hate the idea of Christ and God and Christians, but the ideas of Christianity (i.e. the New Testament after Christ died so that humans could be forgiven instead of smited) like love, forgiveness, charity don't deserve hatred.

Hating on christianity is an angsty, juvenile reaction to the actions of Christians (people, fallible human beings) like Southern Baptists or Catholics. People hate Christianity because SOME Christians judge or don't empathize with what they don't understand - which is hypocritical and against Christ's teachings. Or they hate it because it tells us that random sex and intoxication and living for self-gratification are bad (if you need evidence, one in three people has an STD for example)

I have met Northern Baptists that were some of the most amazing people. I worked for a Baptist who had three children of his own AND EIGHT foster children. Children that were dysfunctional and needed love. Love that they never got from snoody cynical atheists or temporary foster homes. Children with learning dissabilities and birth defects that most people would never want to raise because they weren't happy pretty children. He was a sheperd by Christ's definition.

I'm not preaching. Not by a long shot. I'm saying watch your mouth and THINK for a second to EVERYONE on here. I'm not trying to say I'm some kind of pure Christian either. I've eaten sheets of acid, had plenty of one night stands, used people, I'm an alcoholic, and I'm a glutton. That's really only scratching the surface for examples to let everyone know I'm not some preachy Christian, but the teachings of Christ are good. And you know what? A lot of that aforementioned shit that the Bible says is bad led to some bad things happening in my life as a consquence.

I'm pretty sure that people on these boards are going to start getting pretty pissed off at me and I may even get banned (this is my first day posting, and like 5 out of six posts are challenging posters or ridiculing them) and I think it's great. Tool has always been about challenging ideas and boundaries.

Shaney, I'm sorry I'm dumping all of this onto you. It's not that you are like the worst poster ever. This is really a post for everyone, and your post just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back after an hour or so of reading some of the most unintelligent posts I've ever read about one of the most intelligent bands of the past couple decades.

The Internet is the biggest two-edged sword to come around since the splitting of the atom. Anyone can instantly post their opinion no matter how little thought they actually put into it, and that to me is kind of dangerous. Again, I'm not some prude. But I just don't think that a lot of Internet users think before they act. If ten years from now, people were forced to listen or read everything they had said, I'm pretty we'd all be kicking our own asses, and permanently blushing with embarassment. Myself included. I'm just trying to encourage everyone to think first (I'm sure Tool, the band that you all seem to intimately know so much about would do the same. And don't get me wrong I do love Tool's music. It's soul-crushingly amazing.)

*APPLAUSE* well said, that is the best post i have read on this entire forum.
I hope u continue to point out these things. I am not a practsing christian, but i think i agree with what you're saying. I am guilty of writing unintelligent posts myself but usually cos of feeling crushed at the seeming arrogance of others that post on here.

I love TOOL and i think thats these forums actually diminish the love, but unfortunatley my ego wont allow me to stop posting, i have become a victim of th self.

anyway keep up the good work

JShaney
05-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Interestingly, I found this post to be ignorant, arrogant, and unfounded.

If he read anyones explanations (like he critisized everyone else for not doing) this makes perfect sense (not neccesarilly what the song is about but...), and it is not about god eating chicken buddy.

It's so easy and cool for everyone on these forum boards to interpret every Tool song as being anti-Christianity. It's retarded. Even if you don't believe that Christ was the son of God, he taught great things like FORGIVENESS. Too many people on here hate the idea of Christ and God and Christians.
I don't think it is cool, but I do think that a lot of tools song indicate a dislike towards aspects of god. I'm not neccesarilly right, but I'd sure argue with anyone who would like to debate it. I love Christ, I am christian, and I never said I agree with the lyrics, but I'm not going to deny lyrical content based on my beliefs.

I'm not preaching. Not by a long shot. I'm saying watch your mouth and THINK for a second to EVERYONE on here.
Funny, I still can't seem to differentiate how you can say I'm not preaching and watch your mouth in the same sentence without contradicting yourself???

Well you should be sorry, as I said nothing wrong, I said nothing to call you out, I said nothing ignorant, I said nothing negative about anyone, god, or christianity, and I am in fact doing nothing more than stating my opinion, for which you were so quick to arrogantly judge to be less valuable than your own.

JAG
05-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Jambi imo has always been about MJK's son Devo however I can see why some people would think its about Jesus. Im not going to say that they are wrong because its their opinion and it can be interpreted in many different ways.