PDA

View Full Version : Paul D'Amour = Fool Martyr

rachmiel4
05-13-2006, 03:56 AM
If you rearrange the consanants using Grimm's Law, you will find that the two names are almost perfectly equivalent.

This isn't to say that Eulogy doesn't have other layers of interpretation, but this is one of them.

moneyisevil
05-15-2006, 01:56 PM
i disagree that its about paul d'amour...."this song is about martyrs" - mjk

tbrent21
05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
If you rearrange the consanants using Grimm's Law, you will find that the two names are almost perfectly equivalent.

This isn't to say that Eulogy doesn't have other layers of interpretation, but this is one of them.

Sounds fascinating - I would be interested in hearing the details on how this is done. I am not familiar with Grimm's law.

Divine_left
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM

Certainly, when you consider Grimm's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm's_law) Paul -> Fool is pretty obvious. But D'Amour -> Martyr? The 'D' would shift to a T, making it Tamour. I guess maybe if you anagram it you can get Matour, which is close to Martyr. You're still missing that second 'r', though.

It's iffy. Sounds more like a Rule of Five application than anything else.

bluefire
05-16-2006, 03:48 PM
uh, if you check the FAQ, paul plays bass on Eulogy.

tbrent21
05-17-2006, 03:56 AM
uh, if you check the FAQ, paul plays bass on Eulogy.

Paul doesn't play on any song on AEnima the recording, does he? I thought Justin was the bassist in Tool at this time.

We also know he is given no songwriting credits in the liner notes on AEnima. Interesting!

tbrent21
05-17-2006, 07:07 AM
In fact he does (according to the Kabir's FAQ at Toolshed)

I don't ever recall seeing a CD where a musician plays but is not given credit in the liner notes. I mean, those things are pretty thorough usually.

Interesting Tool history topic, though. I've always been fascinated with Mr. D'Amour -- who contributed an integral part of the whole Tool sound that continues to the present day, but hasn't been able to "enjoy the ride" so to speak. I would submit that without Paul, the whole Tool phenomenon might not have happened at all. After all, it is the riveting staccato bassline in "Sober" that got them recognized and lauched their career.

Does Kabir really say that Paul played on the recording AEnima, or that he contributed to the songwriting but ended up uncredited on the album? Anybody?

Cows
05-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Does Kabir really say that Paul played on the recording AEnima, or that he contributed to the songwriting but ended up uncredited on the album? Anybody?

Apparently a few of the songs from AEnima were written and played live while Paul was still a member. I really don't think he is the subject of the song.

Janos
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
He can't be. Also check the other Eulogy topic I just posted to.

neognosis
06-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Paul wrote most of the songs on Aenima. Stinkfist, Eulogy and Pushit were played live as early as late '94. Justin joined the band mid/late '95.

Justin is certainly the more talented musician, but Paul is a more creative songwriter.

futant55
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
There are four recorded demos, Push it, Stinkfist, Eulogy, and Aenima, that have Paul playing on them. If you look around you can find them. I'ts interesting to see how the songs developed from these demos to the actual recordings on the album.

parables in the world
09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
i really think its about paul. he was in the band, martyr is a metaphor for the band as they see themselves, also he played in the song, hence which the lines "Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy." and "he had a lot of nothing to say we'll miss him." saying he had contributed but they still miss him, he just was into a diff. style then they were which is why he quit, and "we need that fucking space to nail the next fool marytr." is him saying they need to put the next martyr or band member which was justin.

whooz
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Eulogy always struck me as an angry song, and I read that the D'Amour left the band on good terms... I don't think it's about him.

implandnoises
09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
I am pretty sure it's about John. Besides, Paul is still alive. I guess it could be about George, but that is being a bit presumptuous.

Useful)(Idiot
09-15-2006, 12:08 AM
i still think that if this song is about anyone, cause we don't know if it is for sure, i still firmly believe that it is about L. Ron Hubbard.

GreenJellyFan
09-21-2006, 08:53 AM
i still think that if this song is about anyone, cause we don't know if it is for sure, i still firmly believe that it is about L. Ron Hubbard.

I never once thought this song was about L. Ron Hubbard, and reading the posts about why it can't be, i still dont think its about the foolish bastard

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
i really think its about paul. he was in the band, martyr is a metaphor for the band as they see themselves, also he played in the song, hence which the lines "Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy." and "he had a lot of nothing to say we'll miss him." saying he had contributed but they still miss him, he just was into a diff. style then they were which is why he quit, and "we need that fucking space to nail the next fool marytr." is him saying they need to put the next martyr or band member which was justin.

wow....never thought of it that way.
that's really interesting.

EulogyCallinMe
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I am pretty sure it's about John. Besides, Paul is still alive. I guess it could be about George, but that is being a bit presumptuous.

hehe.
anyway the whole Eulogy being about Paul...D'amour is kind of interesting becasue of the noted lyrics that can be interpreted that way such as the "hear your own eulogy" part, but i do think the song has a strong cynical and sarcastic tone until Maynard really lets go at the end. Plus when I saw Tool live for the first Lateralus tour Paul D'amour stood up there and they dedicated Opiate to him. Sure if they left on bad terms they could have patched things up by now but I dont think they parted ways negatively like that, so then that kind of makes all of that anger and cynicism misdirected. I dont think Paul is the subject of this song, now i dont really have anything new to offer as to who i think it might be, but i just dont think its about their former bassist.

mjdlight
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
hehe.
anyway the whole Eulogy being about Paul...D'amour is kind of interesting becasue of the noted lyrics that can be interpreted that way such as the "hear your own eulogy" part, but i do think the song has a strong cynical and sarcastic tone until Maynard really lets go at the end. Plus when I saw Tool live for the first Lateralus tour Paul D'amour stood up there and they dedicated Opiate to him. Sure if they left on bad terms they could have patched things up by now but I dont think they parted ways negatively like that, so then that kind of makes all of that anger and cynicism misdirected. I dont think Paul is the subject of this song, now i dont really have anything new to offer as to who i think it might be, but i just dont think its about their former bassist.

Just curious...what show did this happen at?