PDA

View Full Version : X-Files theme?

lateralus0
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Theres a part right at 1:43 that really reminds me of the X-Files theme song?

greg vs greg
05-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Agreed. This was my first thought upon hearing it for the first time. It's just a riff that happens to be very similar to the x-files theme. It's not exact. But it gives it a very eery, supernatural feeling, IMO.

lagrima
05-14-2006, 10:36 AM
yes zyon almost like the matrix !

s ti N Kfizt
05-15-2006, 04:36 AM
i can't hear it, i'll try again with headphones though.

beyond
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
When my girlfriend first listened to it, she said the same thing.

Pusrot
05-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I had the same thought as well. A little foreshadowing before Rosetta Stoned, maybe?

Vicarious_Lee
05-19-2006, 01:26 AM
That didnt come to mind untill you brought it up, I can see what you mean, but still i dont think so all that much.

split_the_sky
05-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Musical coincidence.

Terry21
06-03-2006, 03:53 AM
I think not.

kyyuulle
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
definitely not a coincidence

Jimmeny
06-06-2006, 02:28 PM
definitely not a coincidence

QFT

reordian
06-09-2006, 01:33 AM
It is there, actually it appears twice - first at 1:39 into the song and then again at 1:59 into the song.
It is an exact reverberation of the X-FILES theme. Definitely on purpose.

If Im not mistaken, an author may use up to 2 bars of any copyrighted piece of music without having to credit the original author or pay royalties.

STORMCROW1031
06-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Yes! I hear it! On purpose or by accident it adds to the songs sense of mystery, reflection.
"The Truth is Out There"!

Jimmeny
06-09-2006, 09:20 AM
That didnt come to mind untill you brought it up, I can see what you mean, but still i dont think so all that much.

Lolf,

Luosdasa
06-10-2006, 06:54 PM
coincydink

Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 01:21 PM
In my opinion, you're retarded for not realising it's the exact 6 note sequence.

nighthawk
06-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds alike but it's not the same, and if it is the same I'm sure that is a coincidence.

Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 01:25 PM
It's the same. I'd transcribe it but I have a feeling the people that the transcription would mean anything too are already aware it's the same 6 notes.

Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, for a start, I didn't have to look for this similarity. It's so similar I heard it without trying.

Secondly, it's not an effect, it's 6 notes. The melody from the x-files theme that is whistled, and typifies the x-files theme. It might not be in the same key, but it's the same sequence of notes in the same rhythm.

You must be talking about a completely different section because what you've just described isn't what is in the song.

Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, I've put a little compilation together. No doubt you'll jump on this and go OMG THE FACT YOU HAD TO DO THAT PROOVES IT'S NOT DELIBERATE. I'm just doing it to show how similar it is.

I couldn't find a good quality version of the theme, so there's a very bad quality version of it, then a midi file of it I found, then the part we're talking about. Turns out it's conveniently in the right key (well almost :P).

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C352C52B6B615021

Same notes, same rhythm, tbh. If it is coincidence, Tool are as deaf as you lot!

Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I can't quite work out if you're for real or not, but unfortunately, I think you are.

I'm not a troll. I'm also not suggesting it's definately intentional, but, as I said, if it isn't intentional, Tool are deaf. The x-files has become such a culturally relevent and recognisable piece of media, you hear the theme tune parodied whenever some spooky story is talked about. People say 'it's like something out of the xfiles.', and Tool even say that in Rosetta Stoned. This, coupled with it being so similar to the theme, makes me believe it could well be intentional. I can never say for definate, of course.

I don't know what's hilarious about the link. ok, so the quality isn't great, and midi files are always funny, but what it does show is that it's the same notes, same key, same rhythm... which is exactly what you've been disputing.

I'm not looking for it, and I'm not a lunatic.. I have a particularly phonographic memory and the xfiles theme is the first thing that popped into my head, the minute I heard that riff.

Carbonatedgravy
06-11-2006, 06:34 PM
I found the file hilarious too but for a different reason. There was something passively insulting about it. First, the two versions of the theme play and then the Wings for Marie part comes up. Mildly funny because it's so obvious. Then the versions play again, this time cut down to only the relevant notes, I guess for the more mentally challenged listener. By the third time it really felt like the point was being shoved down my throat, and considering the other posts you made, it was a fun juxtaposition.

EDIT: ...But I still don't think it was intentional.

swampyfool
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Personally, I gotta agree with the leef (and subsequently with the spleaf). It is entirely incidental. That sequence of notes is not unique, and I'm sure if you spent enough time looking for it, you could find dozens of instances of it- if not hundreds- throughout the spectrum of music. However, the other necessary componenent of the argument that this is intentional placement has not really been adequately addressed- thematics.

There has been the suggestion that this would "add mystery" to the song. But it seems to me that the inclusion of sci-fi TV show reference within a eulogy to Maynard's mother would be a quirky non-sequitor that would sorta defeat the somber nature of such an undertaking; rather than provide layering of mystique.

As for the suggestion that such an alleged, intentional placement might be connected, in any way, to Rosetta Stoned, I really think that this is making quite a reach. There can be arguments made connecting songs on this album to one another (Lost Keys to Rosetta Stoned, Intension to Right In Two, even LK/RS to Intension/RIT, or Jambi to Right In Two), but Wings For Marie/10,000 Days stand apart from the rest of this album- and even apart from any work that Tool and Maynard have ever done (excepting Jimmy or Judith- though to lesser emotional degrees). Regardless, WFM/10KD certainly cannot be viewed on a level comiserate with a song about a particularly intense acid trip- the songs are just irreconcilably skewed in terms of perspective. These songs are in direct corrolation with a very serious, very personal tragedy that has shaped the perspective of their author, and not to be trivialized by pop-culture.

eyedriht
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm not looking for it, and I'm not a lunatic.. I have a particularly phonographic memory and the xfiles theme is the first thing that popped into my head, the minute I heard that riff.

Yeah.. everytime I hear that riff I think of it... these ppl are in denial : }

blake_bergeron
03-11-2008, 06:53 AM
this is so obviously part of the xfiles theme... and haven't we all learned that there is nothing accidental with tool... so there's the xfiles sounding riff in wings and then maynard actually says 'then the XFILES being' in rosetta stoned... i seriously doubt it's coincidence... but that's just me...

Rolo
03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
this is so obviously part of the xfiles theme... and haven't we all learned that there is nothing accidental with tool... so there's the xfiles sounding riff in wings and then maynard actually says 'then the XFILES being' in rosetta stoned... i seriously doubt it's coincidence... but that's just me...

^Supported^

Extraterrestrial life has always been a returning concept.

blake_bergeron
03-14-2008, 05:28 PM
^Supported^

Extraterrestrial life has always been a returning concept.

even on faaip de oiad... the guy and area 51... it sounds pretty genuine to me... i listened to the actual call this guy put in to the art bell show and even art was tripped out by it... i mean if there are people out there who still don't believe in extra terrestrials, than they are regrettably in the dark... because when a very apparent truth comes out about it, those non believers won't be able to handle themselves...

Rolo
03-18-2008, 02:25 PM
even on faaip de oiad... the guy and area 51... it sounds pretty genuine to me... i listened to the actual call this guy put in to the art bell show and even art was tripped out by it... i mean if there are people out there who still don't believe in extra terrestrials, than they are regrettably in the dark... because when a very apparent truth comes out about it, those non believers won't be able to handle themselves...

I'm reflecting the extraterrestrial to religion here (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=101783). Maybe you want to participate?

Goth Vader
09-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Is Marie a fallen angel, the magician in "Jambi"?
She might have told a lie.. line is what is supposed to explain to all those ghouls, until the day ends!

What goes down, must come up?

mcnadd
09-15-2012, 01:59 PM
the intro to lateralus is so close to the x files theme its not funny

infinitee
09-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Maynard sounds EXACTLY like alfred hitchcock in the beginning of rosetta stoned.

dancingflame
10-15-2012, 06:11 AM
That sequence of notes is not unique, and I'm sure if you spent enough time looking for it, you could find dozens of instances of it- if not hundreds- throughout the spectrum of music.

millions (with different pitches and tempo of course).