PDA

View Full Version : My interpretation on H.

DisgracedEffigy
04-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Here is my full interpretation:

"What's coming through is alive, Whats holding up is a mirror" means that he is only staying alive/functional because of what he was required to be in society. He had to be the mirror-match of his old self.

"But what's singing songs is a snake, Looking to turn this piss to wine." is another addcition reference. The drug calls out to you and when you are on it, everything feels better.

"They're both totally void of hate, But killing me just the same," I agree with you.

"The snake behind me hisses, What my damage could have been." This is about the risks of using drugs. The snake represents the needle though. "Snake" is common termanology for an injection needle.

"My blood before begs me, Open up my heart again" means, to me, that he wanted to stop, knowing the risks, but couldn't. When you are addicted to opiates it feels like everything in you is calling out for the drug.

"And I feel this coming over like a storm again, Considerately." This means that he gave into the temptations. He injected heroin and it (considerately) stopped the craving.

"Venomous voice, tempts me, Drains me, bleeds me, Leaves me cracked and empty, Drags me down like some sweet gravity." represents the after effects of the drug. At the end you feel very down and you want it again.

"The snake behind me hisses, What my damage could have been, My blood before me begs me, Open up my heart again, And I feel this coming over like a storm again." is the same cycle as above. He gives in again.

"I am too connected to you to, Slip away, to fade away." He can't stop thinking about it.

Days away I still feel you, Touching me, changing me, And considerately killing me." This is more after effects. He hasn't done it in days but he can still feel the temptation.

"Without the skin, Beneath the storm, Under these tears,
The walls came down." when reminising on it, he realizes what he's done. He realizes and knows now that he can not do it again, with out risking his life.

"And the snake is drowned and, As I look in his eyes, My fear begins to fade, Recalling all of those times." This is how he stops doing drugs for a period of time. He thinks he no longer needs it.

"I could have cried then, I should have cried then." The meaning behind this is that thinking he was free, he realizes how lucky he is not to've died.

"And as the walls come down and, As I look in your eyes, My fear begins to fade, Recalling all of the times" This is the same as above. He thinks he no longer needs it.

"I have died, and will die, It's all right, I don't mind" He makes peace with death. He knows that it comes to all of us. It signifies that he is okay with what he does because he is freed of the chains of life, in a sense.

"I am too connected to you to, Slip away, to fade away, Days away I still feel you, Touching me, changing me, And considerately killing me." This is the end, and the relapse. He decides that if it kills him, it does. If not, good, he'll have another chance to do it.

I think this is an excellent song. Also, it is very true if those interpretations are correct. I think it is a message and a warning rolled into one. "Once an addict, always an addict." was a phrase I heard alot in rehab (Not for heroin.) I believe that the song is trying to spread that general message. Maybe, maybe not.

DisgracedEffigy
04-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Not even a "yea, i agree"? I suck.

mchlkesuffoctng
04-18-2003, 08:25 AM
thats a really interesting interepretation (illiteration!) and its comletely not at all how i had interepreted the song, but it made me realize that i think the meaning is in the eye of the beholder. maybe the song reminds someone of whatever theyre going through at the time. and when i think about it, a lot of tool's songs do that. their meanings can mean totally different things. you dont really know exactly what they mean, which could be why theyre so great and why people love theyre music so much. but then again, maybe its just me and im retarded.....

DisgracedEffigy
04-23-2003, 07:36 AM
I agree totally. I think that it is part of the bands intention when writing the songs. They try to make everything totally subjective to the listener.

spiralion
04-23-2003, 02:47 PM
reading that reminds me of the song "Would?" by Alice in chains, its about addiction. Also the "I don't mind" reminds me of "Angry Chair" by the same band. I think there is alot of influence from them in this song very dark and such. And I listened to a live mp3 last night of tool and layne doing opiate.

cainecrawford
04-23-2003, 06:42 PM
I could of swore he said what's coming through is a lie(which all life is oddly enough).
A snake in Egypt was considered to represent power, honour, judgement, and truth. However the next part sounds more like," Looking to turn Memphis to wine." The great city of Egypt. Next to Hamunaptra in my oppinion. Like the snake memphis was viod of hate. Much love. That's why it rained as the capitol for so long. If you study the Coral Castle. You will find out that a little 100 pound man achieved what no one has been able to do since the pyramids were built. The table in the center of the Castle is in the shape of a heart. Billy Idol even wrote a song about the Castle called Sweet 16.

The snake behind me could be considered the Master. 11

The blood before me. Previous album.

Much like Set. The god of Chaos and of the storm. The coming over was just a building of that storm. To keep it's power.

The venomous voice. 11 master. Singing songs as a snake. Diablo, talk to me tell me what's on your mind. I can't boy it's unraveled. We don't need no warning signs." "Kicking hard time it ain't that hard to find." "Kicking hard time, Adam split you to the bone." C.O.C.

I'm connected to you to my dear brother. Been thinking about it since I was 6. No way will I let it go.

I thought he was saying consider it killing me.

Saturns Golden Age, wakey wakey.

Oh and btw. H is 8. My birth number.