PDA

View Full Version : another thought - split tracks

wmann
05-11-2006, 11:42 PM
My 2 cents...with the whole division idea from "Right in Two", has anyone tried splitting the left and right stereo tracks and messing with them separately? When you look at the waveforms, the left track (for the first half) looks like a slowed-down version of the right. I fooled around with them a bit but couldn't get anywhere. I don't have the time to do much with it and I don't really know how productive it would be since (once the freaky voice of God kicks in) the tracks pretty much sound the same. Still...it seemed logical to me...maybe it will give someone a better idea. I do think we were supposed to mess with the track somehow, and I don't think they would put it on there without some kind of key for decoding it...i.e., the numbers 11, 23 (or 20 and 3), latin, division, etc...Come to think of it, animals split their chromosomes in half then recombine them to form a new being. Are we supposed to split the track, mess with it, and put it back together?

It's kind of ironic that this track, which has the least tangible about it of any of them on 10KD, has generated so much discussion here on the nature of music and, in my case, such a burning desire to know what the hell it's about. I get the feeling that Tool reads these posts with a satisfied smile, or else laughs their asses off at how much time we all waste on this crap :P

Also, isn't it weird that after a long arc of albums in which Tool has supposedly been tracking human evolution (most obviously in 46&2), this last track is just titled with the same number of chromosomes we've always had? Kind of disappointing. Elsewhere on the board people have suggested that Tool is giving up on teaching their audience, that this is their last album, that the voice saying "the system is down" refers to the band itself...I sure hope not, but it's possible.

Anyway, I guess this doesn't contribute all that much to the discussion, but I'm sayin' it anyhow.

zol
05-12-2006, 12:27 AM
No mention of this being their last album please. I'll cry.