PDA

View Full Version : All we know about them is what they sold us.

Gen 6:6
05-11-2006, 04:22 PM
So we're a giant sespool of people who like the band and feel the need to discuss the new album on the internet. Does anyone here think that it's ridiculous the way people a carrying on over some of the Christian symbolism in the songs? IT's like some people's worlds are collapsing. Maynard is a dude, who happens to be a gifted artist, who happened to have met 3 other talented artists, who all got together to make art. THey sell records and we buy them, end of story. We can't guess about everything the guy thinks and feels based on one peice of art. The truth is that it doesn't really matter what the guy thinks or feels on a personal level, but what his art is to you. Remember, you bought it. What if you find out that MJK has literally turned into Ned Flanders and he puts out a solo gospel album? Are you going to cry about it or go jump off a bridge?

nanook
05-12-2006, 06:52 AM
So we're a giant sespool of people who like the band and feel the need to discuss the new album on the internet. Does anyone here think that it's ridiculous the way people a carrying on over some of the Christian symbolism in the songs? IT's like some people's worlds are collapsing. Maynard is a dude, who happens to be a gifted artist, who happened to have met 3 other talented artists, who all got together to make art. THey sell records and we buy them, end of story. We can't guess about everything the guy thinks and feels based on one peice of art. The truth is that it doesn't really matter what the guy thinks or feels on a personal level, but what his art is to you. Remember, you bought it. What if you find out that MJK has literally turned into Ned Flanders and he puts out a solo gospel album? Are you going to cry about it or go jump off a bridge?

nice work

Koan
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
You're right, we need to focus on what it means to us. Even if they are trying to tell us somethinh, we should still reflect on that on a personal level and not follow like sheep.

tes-or-set
05-12-2006, 08:45 AM
excellent point. thats pretty much been the point of alot of tools work. to be inspired by it and create. not sit around contemplating the personal lives of the band members. but to utilize their art for our own creative purposes and better ourselves through various experiences ie: the music of tool.

parables in the world
05-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Exactly bro, people on here don't seem to get it in thier tiny little minds.

i rarely see interpretations on here, so i think we should just analyze the songs to
(y)our limit. I would do one but i'm at school and it'll take a good while. I like to hear different aspects people have on songs, thats what makes it fun....and thats what i see us, the listener, should do. Or just jam like your on extacy with the music.

blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Are you going to cry about it or go jump off a bridge?

Yes to both.

No but seriously, I hate how a lot of people act like religion can only be a huge part of someone's life and if someone is a Christian, they would automatically make this the focus of their lives.

bump987
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah but what about the fact that you can add track twelve and track one and get the number 13? hmmm? Or how about the way you can play every song together and sometimes a word or two will link up? coincidence?

MarthFTW
05-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Not that I ever contribute anything substantial, but just in theory: If a Tool forum doesn't exist for talking about Tool, what does it exist for?

HallsOfMandos
05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
I think this is why Danny calls 10,000 Days their "blues" album. SO many fans (thats the impression one tends to get from reading fansites anyway) make an end of finding hidden meanings, puzzles, numerological references rather than using the music as starting point for something new and beautiful to share with the world. The true journey starts when you take the CD out of your player and start making something positive happen in the world around you. It is the epitome of selfishness to treat this music as no more than a clever way to hide the number 11 in as many ways as possible. Remember, Blair said there is a 'puzzle of sorts,' not neccessarily a literal puzzle. The true puzzle is how on one hand we can all sit here preaching the virtues of self-growth, inner-awareness, open-mindedness, etc and yet fail somehow to actually demonstrate these traits ourselves.

[/rant]

Gen 6:6
05-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Not that I ever contribute anything substantial, but just in theory: If a Tool forum doesn't exist for talking about Tool, what does it exist for?

I simply think it's funny how people are flipping out. I guess I'm projecting the attitude of someone I know on to the attitudes in this forum. I'm certainly here, in this forum, discussing a band; obviously, I think that it ok to do so. THE KIND OF HYPOCRISY YOU ARE HINTING AT RARELY GOES UNNOTICED BY ANYONE, INCLUDING THE PERPETRATOR HIMSELF. It's unfortunate that I can't discuss the album with anyone who actually has a face, but reading other people's thoughts is usually enough. Eventually I'll be too busy to care what others think about the album, but right now, while I still have time, I just wanted to discuss it as I would like to discuss any sort of art with others who can appreciate it. Thanks for reading my post, there won't be many.