PDA

View Full Version : Maynerd? Yes?

justify_denials
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
This song cannot be about Jesus or Bill Hicks but Maynard himself?

"Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried. "

Tried to see god and religion.

"Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud."

How would anyone know what Jesus's voice sounded like?

"Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,"

Odviously the person is not dead and a matter of fact they must be alive!!!

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"

It's a conversation with himself......It's his eulogy and he is hearing it.

Maynard also said in Hooker with a penis "sold my soul to make a record"....Maybe he is saying in Eulogy that he is selling his soul to make a record, killing apart of himself to live, so he can identify with himself and lead his own way.

"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr........"

So he can climb upon the cross.......to ascend he must die, and be essentially crucified. Crucified for his sins and lies.

"To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified"

*Back to front*
So to be crucified is to die and to die is to ascend and to ascend is to be a martyr, yet to be a martyr is to be a fool.......

Religion is contradiction.

Either way your fucking dead and you've already heard your own Eulogy.

justify_denials
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Actually, that last line i think is quite supported by the way Maynerd sings:

"Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"

You know, kind of slow. To let it sink because of the irony of the subject. It's almost like he is softly beating it in.

carlylecastle
05-12-2006, 12:05 PM
how is religion contradiction?

justify_denials
05-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Well I scratch all that stuff now, kind of. But there are huge piles of bullshit througrhout the bible that contradicts everything that is said at one point. Really, like the song states I just think that this song is about about martyrs and how they are a fool for dying for peoples sins instead of people doing it forthemselves or changing themselves in realization of their sins. In otherwords it appears the song anounces that Jesus was a fool for dying for our sins because it did nothing for the larger whole of humanity and people still, if not more so now, take it all for granted...what Jesus did. I think you need to defy the church such as Jesus did, do your own thing and to think for yourself and not let someone do it for you....such as a martyr would do (do it for you). But the contradiction (well sort of) comes when Jesus did defy the church he was penalized for it and crucified. Him come back to life three days later, to me, is a metaphorical symbol that good can always come back no matter how bad you have been or no matter how many negative subjects try to bring you down...IE, negative subjects as in church or "higher authority". They are only laying their version of "moral" upon you when, in fact, each mind is it's own and each its own has very differenct thoughts and experiences. These people are not spiritual so they use "authority" to control. Law applys to everyone, but one individual moral does not.....We are not all truly equal.

Inner_Eulogy
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Well I scratch all that stuff now, kind of. But there are huge piles of bullshit througrhout the bible that contradicts everything that is said at one point. Really, like the song states I just think that this song is about about martyrs and how they are a fool for dying for peoples sins instead of people doing it forthemselves or changing themselves in realization of their sins. In otherwords it appears the song anounces that Jesus was a fool for dying for our sins because it did nothing for the larger whole of humanity and people still, if not more so now, take it all for granted...what Jesus did. I think you need to defy the church such as Jesus did, do your own thing and to think for yourself and not let someone do it for you....such as a martyr would do (do it for you). But the contradiction (well sort of) comes when Jesus did defy the church he was penalized for it and crucified. Him come back to life three days later, to me, is a metaphorical symbol that good can always come back no matter how bad you have been or no matter how many negative subjects try to bring you down...IE, negative subjects as in church or "higher authority". They are only laying their version of "moral" upon you when, in fact, each mind is it's own and each its own has very differenct thoughts and experiences. These people are not spiritual so they use "authority" to control. Law applys to everyone, but one individual moral does not.....We are not all truly equal.

This is exactly one of the reasons I am and always will be agnostic. There's so many different religions out there saying buy me I'm the real deal, ya' know. There's hundreds of different religions, how ridiculous is that...they all believe in different gods, so who's to say which one is true or correct. Christianity? Just because it has "somehow" monopolized the world? I say it's all bull and nobody within any organized religion is right. Sure it's totally respectable to choose a path (way of life) to follow and set an example but, I refuse to believe that going to church every sunday is what GOD intended. I believe that the true GOD and inner spirituality should be based on simply "love thy brother" or your fellow man. Be kind to all, be respectful and helpful and "geniunely" care about others. Do not "lie, cheat or steal".

Ya' know, it's almost ironic that this subject came up...I was just out in AZ to visit my sister and see the ASU Gammage show Tool played (which was FUCKING AWESOME by the way) and the day before the show I went to one of them silly shops tourists always end up to pick up Arizona "type" trinkets and I picked out one thing...it was a bumper sticker that read "If money is the root of all evil, why do Churches always beg for it?"

wearethestories
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM
I like the Maynard=Eulogy interpretation... it brings to light some irony that I had missed.

On the church note:

The Bible doesn't contradict itself, you need to understand culturally where everything fits (and no, I don't know every answer to the questions you might have). But take a look at this:

NEW TESTAMENT STORY ("The Good News"):
- Jesus is God (Greek: Yeshua). He overcomes sin and death (through his own death) and leads his people to everlasting life, which was promised to them (i.e. the "promised" land). As God, he enters into hell and retrieves the keys to eternal life, closing the gates after him.

HUGE OLD TESTAMENT STORY:
- (Joshua 1): Joshua is leader of Israel after the Exodus (Greek: Yeshua). He leads his people to the banks of the River Jordan (means "Death"). The Ark of the Covenant (God's presence with his people) enters the River Jordan, calms the raging currents, and remains until the Israelites cross over into Canaan (the Promised Land). They couldn't cross it themselves. Once the people are across, the Ark moves into the Promised Land and the waters of the Jordan flow again.

So, in both, Yeshua leads his people across (the river of) Death by placing the presence of God (Ark or Jesus) into the "river". Once the people are safe in the "promised land", God leaves Death and Death becomes, again, a barrier for anyone trying to enter the "promised land".

I just think it's fascinating to see the overlap and the thousands of years that were in between the Old Testament Joshua story and the New Testament Jesus story.

Flamers, I expect a response... no worries.

Janos
06-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I truly like this Self-Eulogy thing. I have thought about it too. It seems to be pretty stable.