PDA

View Full Version : Part 2 before part 1?

Crucify the Ego
05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I really enjoyed messing around with the track listing on Lateralus to find new ways of experiencing the album, so i started to experiment with the end of some songs and the beginning of others to see what fit. As it turns out, the wings at the end of 10,000 days goes seamlessy into "wings for marie". Also I think that the "Time for us to let you go" line and then the crushing sound (dirt on a casket? i dont know...) in Wings for Marie is a great ending to the massive 'eulogy'.
At the same time I like the original way because the "daylight dims leaving cold flourescence" line and subsequent lines and the wings coming in on Wings for Marie than going out on 10,000 days gives the entire epic closure. If you listen to part 2 than part 1 I think it could be argued it feels more like a continuous song, though. I like them both ways.
If anyone's interested here's an alternate order that I put a lot of thought and experimentation into. There's no consistent mathematical reasoning behind it, like with "The holy gift" it's just what I thought flowed nicely. As it turns out though, the songs have a tendency to go in reverse order, which is interesting. If anyone has a hissy fit about it being not the way Tool intended, well.....that's just ridiculous.
1. The Pot
2. 10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
3. Wings for Marie (Pt1)
4. Jambi
5. Lipan Conjuring
6. Intension
7. Right In Two
8. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
9. Rosetta Stoned
10. Viginti Tres
11. Vicarious

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Can't make since, Pt. 1 she dies, Pt. 2 is the funeral IMHO

CaseLogic
05-11-2006, 12:32 PM
It doesn't make sense, the songs were clearly written to be in the order they are on the CD

Crucify the Ego
05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Ya I'm not as familiar with the lyrics as I assume a lot of you are so maybe that's what's getting in the way. I've read the lyrics and I don't see anything wrong with playing 10,000 Days first as far as them making sense, but I haven't REALLY analyzed them because I like to find out the lyrics from listening to the song tons of times. For there to be any chance of liking part 2 in front of 1, you'll have to take some of that "Pushit(live)" advice, find a comfortable vulnerable space and don't let your pre-conceptions of the song get in the way. If you do this, it seems like a continuous song as much as the original direction, IMO. I don't know...tell me what you think leefnaspleaf

win
05-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Can't make since, Pt. 1 she dies, Pt. 2 is the funeral IMHO

agreed