PDA

View Full Version : The Jungian Concept of The Shadow

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Just thought I'd throw these quotes out there from Carl Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections." They are from the glossary section. A great read for anyone interested in becoming acquainted with Jung's ideas.

"The inferior part of the personality; sum of all personal and collective psychic elements which, because of their incompatibility with the chosen conscious attitude, are denied expression in life and therefore coalesce into a relatively autonomous "splinter personality" with contrary tendencies in the unconscious. The shadow behaves compensatorily to consciousness; hence its effects can be positive as well as negative. In dreams, the shadow figure is always of the same sex as the dreamer."

"The shadow personifies everything that the subject refuses to acknowledge about himself andyet is always thrusting itself upon him directly or indirectly--for instance, inferior traits of character and other incompatible tendencies."

"...the shadow [is] that hidden, repressed, for the most part inferior and guilt-laden personality whose ultimate ramifications reach back into the realm of our animal ancestors and so comprise the whole historical aspect of the unconscious...If it has been believed hitherto that hte human shadow was the source of all evil, it can now be ascertained on closer investigation that the unconscious man, that is, his shadow, does not consist only of morally reprehensible tendencies, but also displays a number of good qualities, such as normal instincts, appropriate reactions, realistic insights, creative impulses, etc."

savelints8
05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
I've recently become fascinated with the concept of the shadow. Just really interested in the fact that your subconscious can influence you in so many ways. I'm using Jung's theory to explain lots of stuff in my life right now.

#Notion
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
A local radio station (KDGE 102.5 the edge) gave a prize away for whoever could answer to which psychologist the current song (forty-six & 2) was related to. The answer was Jung.

HelenA
07-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Just thought I'd throw these quotes out there from Carl Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections." They are from the glossary section. A great read for anyone interested in becoming acquainted with Jung's ideas.

Can I please use your thoughts in a biology lesson? I have credited it to "Wonko the Sane" LOL