PDA

View Full Version : give me my, give me my, GIVE ME MY WINGS

innerspacegirl
05-11-2006, 02:14 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

this lyric is completely under my skin,
i can't stop repeating it repeating it repeating it in my head!
(totally butchering it in the shower)
so potent, so chock full of TOOL-goodness!
makes me feel nice and opinionated on the inside
i have lost my free will with the CD changer,
i have lost sleep just thinking about how brilliant this part is. BRILLIANT!

.....haven't felt this way since PRY-ING-OP-EN-MY-THIRD-EYE

whatthefuckisupwiththat?!?
is there a support group for unhealthy lyrical infatuation?
(no, too ironic.)

okay. seriously now. could the last part of 10KD(p/2) be any more perfect than it already is?!

P.S. you like it too. admit it.

Opiate_Mass
05-11-2006, 02:22 AM

(no, too ironic.)

okay. seriously now. could the last part of 10KD(p/2) be any more perfect than it already is?!

yes i like it too, but i'm able to sing that part without butchering it :D (except not atm, as i have a cold, but yeah.........)

billchamb
05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
From the line "10,000 days in the fire is long enough..." through this line, I consistently get chills/goosebumps.

centaur
05-11-2006, 08:56 AM
as I said in the previous thread: this song beats the whole lateralus. and people who lost their parent/s like me will understand why I am saying this.

evil agent
05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I have a big problem with this lyric... I can't stop thinking of a TERRIBLE tv slogan... I won't mention it because I don't want to ruin this for anyone else. But I still haven't gotten over it.

ParisD
05-11-2006, 11:20 AM
as I said in the previous thread: this song beats the whole lateralus. and people who lost their parent/s like me will understand why I am saying this.

Agree totally. Especially in the case of a long suffering coupled with a virtuous life. I have a hard time believing in an all-knowing, all-loving blah blah God who set up a system wherein a mother or father can't even send a "Howdy do" from the "other side" to their own children. I think Maynard's own cynicism and lack of respect for his mother's God was expressed so poignantly and completely with one very important word...Fetch. I can imagine her dismissing St. Peter himself with a the flick of her back-hand to him, sending him away like a servant to get his master. This is Maynard's greatest gift, the ability to express himself so totally and effortlessly with even a single word.

I think this is the single most honest song ever released by Tool.

centaur
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I think the biggest asset of this album that so many people do not recognize is that it is honest and emotional. great job.

hbynoe
05-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a big problem with this lyric... I can't stop thinking of a TERRIBLE tv slogan... I won't mention it because I don't want to ruin this for anyone else. But I still haven't gotten over it.
want some hot wings?

evil agent
05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
LOL.. that's not exactly what I was thinking. But that conjures a hilarious image. Maynard, at a greasy restaurant, on "wings night", demanding his chicken wings.

Maynard (with a pouty look on his face, and a bib tied around his neck, clutching fork and knife, and saying): Give me my wiiiinnnngggss!

hbynoe
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
LOL.. that's not exactly what I was thinking. But that conjures a hilarious image. Maynard, at a greasy restaurant, on "wings night", demanding his chicken wings.

Maynard (with a pouty look on his face, and a bib tied around his neck, clutching fork and knife, and saying): Give me my wiiiinnnngggss!
lmao :) i take this song seriously even the image of some great hot bbq wings dont detract from the sentimentatlity but it made me smile when i read your post...not knowing what you were thinking...

what were you thinking?

evil agent
05-11-2006, 03:08 PM
For some strange reason, it reminds me of "I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs". I know its not even the same wording, but thats just what pops into my head.

Anyway, all joking aside, it is a great song and even those ludicrous images can't change that.

Filth Monger
05-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Having lost my mother while I was still an infant, I can relate to this song on a personal level. I long for my mother's "soul" to be eternally happy and know that her unconditional love for me should've earned her angelic praises. Whether or not I approve of her religion is irrelevant, as long as she is respected and at peace in the afterlife of her choosing, I can feel satisfaction in that.

As to the baby backs, who wouldn't want them? They're de-licious...

champion
05-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Dude, this lyric has been mentioned ten thousand times here as "the most emotional tear-jerking lyric on the album."

So why did you make another thread about it? If I were mod, I would close it.

lesamarie1
05-12-2006, 06:11 AM
I DON'T THINK THERE IS A LYRIC INFATUATION SUPPORT GROUP BUT IF THERE WAS I WOULD BE THERE RIGHT WITH YOU EXCEPT MY INFATUATION STARTS AT

"YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE ...." AND ENDS WITH "GIVE ME MY WINGS."

JUST SOMETHING ABOUT THAT MELODIC VOICE WHEN HE SAYS "TELL THEM YOUR PILLAR OF FAITH HAS ASCENDED." it's so......angelic......

TILL THIS SONG, i THOUGHT LATERALUS WAS THE ONLY SONG THAT COULD COMPEL ME THIS MUCH....I WAS WRONG

KroniKlepto
05-12-2006, 06:31 AM
turn off caps lock kthnx.

Fit4Demolition
05-12-2006, 06:38 AM
For some strange reason, it reminds me of "I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs". I know its not even the same wording, but thats just what pops into my head.

Anyway, all joking aside, it is a great song and even those ludicrous images can't change that.

haha that made me laugh so hard. just because it is so far from what the song is about. that is horrible. but yeah, some of the best, if not the best lyrics i have ever heard. since maynard has such a conflict with god, i would absolutely love to see him write a song about what he thinks god would say about him. i always try to think on both sides of the coin, where if i argue with someone i try to find out what they feel about me. the opening of the Pot kinda led me to believe that is what he was trying to do, "Who are you to point the finger" it just sounds like a rebutal from either his mother or god himself.

toolism
05-12-2006, 06:39 AM

I know exactly what youre talkin about, THANKS ALOT...hah

toolism
05-12-2006, 06:40 AM
"Give me my wings" and "damn my eyes" ...amazing...ok time to put the CD in...

Koan
05-12-2006, 08:02 AM
That part indeed, is so very epic yet emotional, it really makes the song for me.

And I so hope next time I hear it, I won't picture some scene in a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant....

innerspacegirl
05-12-2006, 10:54 PM
i think i got over it.
it was the wings part
no, the BBQ wings!
that is funny shit!
...and it completely collapsed my big, important, dramatic mental music video!

intension -- now there is a good song....

beyond
05-12-2006, 11:01 PM
The lyrics are lovely, but I still don't get the same effect as "Prying open my third eye."

I guess the one dissapointment of this CD was it's lack of agression.

It's still completely and utterly amazing.

I guess everyone get's old, and are unable to scream as much.

Though Maynard does quite a good job with Rosetta Stoned live.

Oh well.

win
05-13-2006, 12:29 AM

(no, too ironic.)

I absolutely love it. It is the line before I love even more though:

Its time now!
My time now!
Give me my...
Give me my...
Wings!

centaur
05-13-2006, 12:42 AM
The lyrics are lovely, but I still don't get the same effect as "Prying open my third eye."

I guess the one dissapointment of this CD was it's lack of agression.

It's still completely and utterly amazing.

I guess everyone get's old, and are unable to scream as much.

Though Maynard does quite a good job with Rosetta Stoned live.

Oh well.

but that is a totally different song. it makes no sense to compasre it to third eye.
and maynard does scream in other songs. indeed not as much as on previous efforts but it ok with me

and coming back to wings/10kd - it is one of the best if not the best Tool song. If we were in the 70's this song would become stairway to heaven (which by the way is way overrated by most people)

macfreak
05-13-2006, 02:56 AM
This song is amazing and might be Tool´s most emotional song to date. I dont agree it beats Lateralus, but could easuly be in my top five Tool songs

belligerant
05-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Red Bull?

M.Luther
05-13-2006, 07:44 PM
From the line "10,000 days in the fire is long enough..." through this line, I consistently get chills/goosebumps.

I have to admit, these same lines are sticking with me too....If this was a eulogy used for his mother as some have suggested. even if only a small portion of this song is just based on her eulogy, she was a lucky woman to have these words spoken about her.

Underalus
05-14-2006, 12:55 AM
they should really make this the single, it's fangoddamntastic. Fuck TV and shit, they won't play 17 minutes of Tool, but Tool know damn well that people WILL pay for the video. God, I'd pay for some visuals to the entire album, but especially this.

beyond
05-14-2006, 03:39 PM
they should really make this the single, it's fangoddamntastic. Fuck TV and shit, they won't play 17 minutes of Tool, but Tool know damn well that people WILL pay for the video. God, I'd pay for some visuals to the entire album, but especially this.

amen, brother, amen.

Mr Silver
05-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm with thread starter.

That lyric has really gotten under my skin and I find myself singing it all the time under my breath.

cleith
05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I agree with most people here about this song. Knowing what his mother and he and his mother's relationship must have went through, this song is by far and away the most touching song tool has ever done. It reminds me a little bit of Aenima and the line "mom please flush it all away" with the same emotion and helplessness. Almost like he is crying.

be_patient
05-14-2006, 08:56 PM
i'm right there with ya.... the feeling in unbelievable

innerspacegirl
05-15-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm with thread starter.

That lyric has really gotten under my skin and I find myself singing it all the time under my breath.
totally. it's so ambigous considering how many themes and emotions and platforms it could be coming from...... oh, the assertive delivery..... *melts*

i am such a junkie for heavy lyrics like this.
only ONE other lyric has ever hit me the same way.

{{{...should i disclose that here? will they flame me for denying the name of tool and giving props to another band? .... am i bad??}}}

>>>then let them flame. you are immune, you are the chosen one, YOU are the THREADSTARTER!<<<

{{{sweeeet}}}

anyways... DIGITAL BATH deftones. white pony. *whew*

the delivery is eerie-similar. perhaps you have heard it.

'TONIGHT I FEEL LIKE MORE'

no punctuation because it changes every repetition and absolutely thrills me.

{{{forgive me}}}

win
05-15-2006, 01:24 AM
totally. it's so ambigous considering how many themes and emotions and platforms it could be coming from...... oh, the assertive delivery..... *melts*

i am such a junkie for heavy lyrics like this.
only ONE other lyric has ever hit me the same way.

{{{...should i disclose that here? will they flame me for denying the name of tool and giving props to another band? .... am i bad??}}}

>>>then let them flame. you are immune, you are the chosen one, YOU are the THREADSTARTER!<<<

{{{sweeeet}}}

anyways... DIGITAL BATH deftones. white pony. *whew*

the delivery is eerie-similar. perhaps you have heard it.

'TONIGHT I FEEL LIKE MORE'

no punctuation because it changes every repetition and absolutely thrills me.

{{{forgive me}}}

I was just rocking that song and that line when I saw this on 'most recent posted' list so I had to come back and see what everyone had said. Uh yeah, this song is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo badass

JOK3R
05-15-2006, 03:42 AM
brilliant indeed

Ryan
05-15-2006, 03:44 AM

I laughed.

SunBurN
05-15-2006, 10:25 AM
I love this song and for me its at it's best when it starts with "What are they going to do when the lights go down..."

all the way through give me my wings.....

I love that stretch of the song the most..but the whole things is incredible.

But when I first heard it, I thought of Red Bull too when when sang give me my wings..but in the context of the song, it was easy to erase that thought.

belligerant
05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
But when I first heard it, I thought of Red Bull too when when sang give me my wings..but in the context of the song, it was easy to erase that thought.
What made me think of it was the commercial with the Mother-in-law. I was laughing at first but stopped when the music go to me. Man this song kicks ass. It's the first thing I listen to when I get on my computer, hell I'll play it two or three times before I switch songs :D. This, Flood, and Lateralus are by far my favorite songs.

imatoolhed
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
The whole climax ( i said climax) part. Give me my wings .... all the way through the Judith marie part leaves me speechless every listen.

moneyisevil
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
this entire song moves me in ways i cant explain....i just had to sit in silence for 10 minutes after hearing wings/10kdays...and like ive said in other posts i can only listen to this song at most like once every week...its that powerful...and id ont want it to lose its feeling

innerspacegirl
05-15-2006, 10:15 PM
this entire song moves me in ways i cant explain....i just had to sit in silence for 10 minutes after hearing wings/10kdays...and like ive said in other posts i can only listen to this song at most like once every week...its that powerful...and id ont want it to lose its feeling

that is hardcore. seriously hardcore.

split_the_sky
05-15-2006, 10:33 PM
I agree with most people here about this song. Knowing what his mother and he and his mother's relationship must have went through, this song is by far and away the most touching song tool has ever done. It reminds me a little bit of Aenima and the line "mom please flush it all away" with the same emotion and helplessness. Almost like he is crying.

I agree but I would say the quote from Aenima is referring to Mother Nature rather than his Mom but now that you mention it maybe you're right...

Yeah I agree the whole song is awesome but it hits home for me from "10,000 days in the fire is long enough" untill "give me my wings!". Blows me away. I also love the part were he sings during the distortion towards the end. First line finishes with "arrogance"... That reminds me more of Aenima because of "Time to break it down again, don't just call me pessimist, try and read between the lines".

I'm sure there was some dodgy spelling in there so bare with me.

Synesthereal
05-16-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm with everybody else.. I get a chill and this overwhelming urge to cry during that part.

Don't laugh, but while driving my car to work in the morning, I've had to turn off the song because that emotion turns my grip on the wheel to jelly.
I also, for some reason REALLY like those few little guitar strums that hit over the part where he says "other than tremble incessantly". :)

innerspacegirl
05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
^^werd.

it seems like up until the very end, the power is 'well-contained'; at the very peak ("judith marie--")where the control of that power slips just enough to convey the pure emotion and then reels back in for the quiet, controlled ending. i am so enamored with that release.

pennybme
05-17-2006, 10:18 AM
i hear the lyrics as "high is the way but all eyes are upon the ground"
that is all for now. :)

niandra
05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
the thing that gives me the biggest chills, about wings pt 1&2 especially2. is the line "forgive me this bold cuestion but what am i to do with these ghouls tonite"(or something)
It has a sense of vulnerability, of admitting to be a mommas boy after all, like "i know you passed on and all, but how am i supposed to take care of the monsters under my bed now?"
Of growing up totake care of yourself, letting go of that ultimate source of protection that a mother represents. admitting all this takes a lot of balls, and that is what stands out in the song.
my 2 cents anyway....

OGT from back in the day
05-17-2006, 06:44 PM
im too lazy to read all of your posts so sorry if u already discussed this but i have wondered about this for a while.....what does MJK mean by "their pillar of faith"?

innerspacegirl
05-18-2006, 01:39 AM
the thing that gives me the biggest chills, about wings pt 1&2 especially2. is the line "forgive me this bold cuestion but what am i to do with these ghouls tonite"(or something)
It has a sense of vulnerability, of admitting to be a mommas boy after all, like "i know you passed on and all, but how am i supposed to take care of the monsters under my bed now?"
Of growing up totake care of yourself, letting go of that ultimate source of protection that a mother represents. admitting all this takes a lot of balls, and that is what stands out in the song.
my 2 cents anyway....

totally! i never put it toghether like that, but it really is a mono--dialigue to his mother when he asks the humble question on part 1. a little bit of resentment, but much. much respect. he is obviously willing to go above and beyond to remember her, "let her go', and bring something back form the whole experience that is only possible because of judoth marie's existence/spirit.

aight don'noneofya'llbetalkingshitaboutMJK'su-know-who....that foowilllbe trippin'allupandoveryoprogressiveass! dissheetain'tgonnaisn'tnogood hollabackrickjamesniggawhackrightintwojust don't be talking'chitaboutsomeone'smomma...ya'here! bitcheS!

(forgive me, white girl spontaneoulsy attempting racial slur. totally didin'y go over. ) whatever spank me. that's what a catholic cpnservative mother would do.

Withteeth
05-18-2006, 04:22 AM
Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your Maker's face tonight,
Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home.

This Part really gets to me, I get the chills on this part, with his low whispering voice, Maynerd and band are really quite amazing.

I hope and pray that his Mother will rest in Gods arms, and I hope Maynard gets to see her again someday.

OGT from back in the day
05-18-2006, 12:18 PM
some one answer my last post,dont ignore me

OGT from back in the day
05-18-2006, 01:10 PM
hey blackandwhite, help me out on this one, no one answers me and i like ur answers, they r usually correct

thumphrey05
05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
i hear the lyrics as "high is the way but all eyes are upon the ground"
that is all for now. :)

i hear "high is the way but our lives are upon the ground"

deps
05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
i think this is one of the most amazing melodies i have ever heard. The way maynard uses 3 different melody lines is fantastic. Pure Musician Genius.

The lyrics are another monster all together. In short,

This is the greatest song today. Tommorrow its Rosetta Stoned and his pitifully human trait of forgetting the most important thing in a situation such as Rosetta Stoned: The Pen!

lesamarie1
06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
im too lazy to read all of your posts so sorry if u already discussed this but i have wondered about this for a while.....what does MJK mean by "their pillar of faith"?

i won't ignore your question----
my opinion of that part goes like this:

the lyrics say:
"your the only one who can hold your head up high
shake your fists at the gates saying,
I've come home now...
fetch me the spirit, the son and the father....
tell them their "pillar of faith" has ascended....."

apparantly Maynard's mother was a "pillar of faith"
She trusted, and threw her total and blind faith at the mercy of god.
by calling her a "pillar"--he must mean that she, above all others,
had a steadfast and unbreakable devotion to god ( the spirit, the son and the father----hence "their" pillar), while she stood amongst
hypocrites.

i love those lyrics. The song really starts to expand at that part. the harmonies that begin with "fetch me the spirit....." are so amazing

this song is extremely special to me, because of a very close parallel to my own life and my father (read my thread about it, it's under lesamarie, not lesa marie1)

PriceisRight
06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I got chills at the 10,000 days in the fire part. I was like OMG!

und_keine_eier
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
i wonder with this song having such strong and private emotional content...will maynard ever sing it live? i know personally hearing it straight from his mouth would be completely euphoric...but i wonder if it would ever happen....

lesamarie1
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
i wonder with this song having such strong and private emotional content...will maynard ever sing it live? i know personally hearing it straight from his mouth would be completely euphoric...but i wonder if it would ever happen....

i wanted to hear it so bad when i seen them in Philly a couple weeks ago, but to no avail. it wasn't listed on any of the setlists this time-----but i would bet we will see it when they return in the fall. i don't know if i could even handle it if they played it live.......it may be......too much