PDA

View Full Version : This song is about the listener.

smeefsmeef
05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Anyone who listens to this horrible track for enjoyment a "useful idiot"...

herarety
05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Useful review.

The Scottish Tool
05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
shhh.

kirknall
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
worst tool song ever is useful idiot...=]

Ahh..but you didn't experience it properly.

About 2 weeks before the AEnima CD came out, I was in Tower Records in Philadelphia and came across the album on vinyl.

After we went in the basement and dug up a record player we sat in on the floor and cranked it up. As much as a record player can be cranked up.

Useful Idiot was the last track on the first side of the first record (it was 2 records).

We were extremely high (having stopped at Wonderland also to pick up a new piece), and we couldn't figure out if there was something wrong with the record player, or the record or WTF was going on. Looking at the album jacket we're saying "Well, there's supposed to be a song here, and the needle's not riding the center, WTF is happening?!?"

It took us a little bit, ut it finally dawned on us that TOOL got us.

What suckers we were back then.

Makes you appreciate them that much more when they go to those lengths to mess with a small fraction of the people that would actually listen to this on vinyl.

JOK3R
06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
great story

Pughwe
06-05-2006, 10:28 PM
kirknall....i love that story...hahaha

And...i am not a useful idiot......i am a useless idiot

meileen
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
plausible intro to forty six and two though

AloneOnceAgain97
06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Actually, if you try to sync your breathing to the pulse of the track and release your breath when Forty Six & 2 starts, it feels quite cool (mentally, that is). The breathing pace you'll experience is about that of what you feel when you are out of breath after doing something strenuous... Then Forty Six & 2 comes in to calm you down.

I dunno'...

duncang
07-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Nah, it's just a few seconds of random noise. And why is it called Useful Idiot?

Nobody cares.

Pushit666
07-15-2006, 05:15 PM

"useful"?

I don't think the name means very much.

TJP
07-19-2006, 12:07 PM
I heard that its supposed to clear you're mind after listening to H and prepare you for 46&2

guttersnipe
07-20-2006, 01:29 AM
If you play it backwards at a high volume it sounds like it's playing in reverse, but really loud...

Vigilante
07-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Lol that was great guttersnipe. Look my first post and its too laugh at what you just said. You should be proud. Be proud!

Hetfield823
07-28-2006, 10:05 AM

I do that all the time!

implandnoises
07-31-2006, 04:15 AM
Nah, it's just a few seconds of random noise. And why is it called Useful Idiot?

Nobody cares.
You missed the point of kirknall's post. You are a Useful Idiot if you bought the album on vinyl. Useful because Tool gets money from you, but an idiot because you splashed out to have it on vinyl.

paraflux
07-31-2006, 06:36 AM
I am fucking tired of people trying to judge these segues as if they were even intended to hold any sort of musical standing. They stand for something else, people. Does being a segue justify being called a "horrible track?" I hold that what is truly "horrible" is people's inability to see what it stands for and instead try to judge it based on musical content. If that's all you can do, then yes, it's horrible, all of the segues. Just act like you dont hear them then, if you arent willing to see what they mean.

Lysander
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
It's pretty obvious that all it is is just Tool having fun by confusing the people who bought it on Vinyl (and to the poster who said you're an idiot for buying it in vinyl it came out in 1996, when vinyl still sort of existed in some form though admittedly not very much.) The only "question" is why the title is referring to communism and what that has to do with anything else in the segue. But, well, I don't really care either. So.

smok3y
08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
they still press albums today for one main reason - people buy them. some buy them to actually listen (like i do) and some to just collect them. albums sound just as good as cassettes and are a hell of alot cheaper than CDs. i'd love to own AEnima on record.

Flooded
08-10-2006, 09:49 PM
actually vinyl is one of the best quality forms of audio

Flooded
08-10-2006, 09:50 PM
and also those people who did buy the vinyl years ago are sitting on a gold mine, you ever see how much people sell it for on ebay? one day...

(self(other
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I like what the FAQ has up about this track

testspecimen
08-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Actually, if you try to sync your breathing to the pulse of the track and release your breath when Forty Six & 2 starts, it feels quite cool (mentally, that is). The breathing pace you'll experience is about that of what you feel when you are out of breath after doing something strenuous... Then Forty Six & 2 comes in to calm you down.

I dunno'...

I love this, the idea of getting high on Tool's music.

Whenever I listen to 46&2 I always listen to this track first. I like the way the loud (almost mechanical) sound of Useful Idiot contrasts with the smooth bass at the start.