PDA

View Full Version : FLAWED SONG

FOOLIO NEGRO
05-10-2006, 02:55 PM
BETWEEN 5:50 & 6:10 THERE SEEMS TO BE TWO TIMES WHEN WHEN IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CD SKIPS!!! BUT IT ISNT, I HAVE 2 COPIES OF THIS CD & ON BOTH OF MY RADIOS W/ BOTH DISCS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SONG SKIPS!!! OBVIOUSLY TOOL & THE PRODUCER COULDNT HAVE MISSED THIS!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PUT MY MIND AT EASE AND TELL ME IF THIS IS A FLAW OR DID THEY DO THIS ON PURPOSE? NOW THAT I HAVE HEARD THIS IT ALMOST RUINS THE SONG!!! I HOPE TOOL DID THIS ON PURPOSE.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I just listened to the two parts that you mentioned and I didn't hear anything like a skip. I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you're mistaking odd phlange-like vocal effects as skipping...? I don't know.

Divine_left
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
They may have done it on purpose. Mars Volta did it with "Televators" (it skips a few times in the last minute or so of the outro). I actually haven't heard what you're talking about, but I believe it.

Carny_Handles
05-10-2006, 05:16 PM
there could be an alternative explanation to this, ... you're crazy and those skips you 'hear' are in fact the real you momentarily loosing grip on reality and becoming closer to transforming into your true self.

..have a nice day. ...schitzo.

xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 11:34 PM
BETWEEN 5:50 & 6:10 THERE SEEMS TO BE TWO TIMES WHEN WHEN IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CD SKIPS!!! BUT IT ISNT, I HAVE 2 COPIES OF THIS CD & ON BOTH OF MY RADIOS W/ BOTH DISCS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SONG SKIPS!!! OBVIOUSLY TOOL & THE PRODUCER COULDNT HAVE MISSED THIS!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PUT MY MIND AT EASE AND TELL ME IF THIS IS A FLAW OR DID THEY DO THIS ON PURPOSE? NOW THAT I HAVE HEARD THIS IT ALMOST RUINS THE SONG!!! I HOPE TOOL DID THIS ON PURPOSE.
It appears to me that your caps lock has been turned on. I am not sure whether or not you noticed this.

xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I, by the way, don't hear the skip.

Maybe that's because whatever you guys think is intentional skip really is a flaw with your disc and I got a good copy? Or maybe it's because I've heard what real intentional skipping sounds like (AFX).

Opiate_Mass
05-11-2006, 01:20 AM
how the hell can it ruin the song?
if they placed a guy farting in it, would THAT ruin the song.......... that's just lame

Carny_Handles
05-11-2006, 01:02 PM
..yeah, i think a guy farting would pretty much ruin a song for me..

I mean if instead of danny hitting the gong in lateralus it was a guy farting, it wouldnt have the same impact for me..

Nate-Dogg85
05-11-2006, 01:06 PM
i dunno, the farting kinda made me like maynards dick more actually...

Enceladus
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I have the skip as well but I dont know anything about it. sorry

Agent_202
05-11-2006, 03:53 PM
sorry, every time i hear "TIMMY" i lose concentration. ~6:01

teegman
05-11-2006, 08:04 PM
McRoggles is correct, as always.

evil mechanic
05-12-2006, 04:33 PM
i dont have the skip

TheEulogyOfMe
05-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Crack+Capslock= Hearing phantom skipping. Mine seems fine. I win!

bluefire
05-12-2006, 04:54 PM
caps lock is cruise control for cool

TheEulogyOfMe
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
caps lock is cruise control for cool

Only not so much

HateSolstice
05-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Here, I'll post the spot of the song he assumes is "skipping". The lyrics are direct from the lyrics page here on the site, so obviously the words aren't going to be 100% yet.

"Fight over the clouds, over wind, over sky
Fight over your lie, over blood, over anything
Fight over love, over sun, over nothing
Fight till they die,
(Ahhh!) over what? for their ending"

The second poster, Wonko the Sane, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

rightin2
05-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I love this song. I think the skipping that FOOLIO is refering to occurs on 6 mins and 6 mins 10 seconds. I don't know if its skipping but its actually a genius piece of music, transfering the song into the final quater. maybe............

rightin2
05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
final third and I spelt quarter wrong, I always do that!!

slicknickshady
05-14-2006, 01:00 PM
It is perfect.

Matt8
05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
i only notice it in one part where adam changes the effect on his guitar it seems. i dunno.

HanInCarbonite
05-14-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree that this song is perfect. Nothing TOOL does is flawed, you can quote me on that. This song is a excellent one to put on after Rosetta Stoned or 10,000 Days tracks....

Washburn
05-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't know if this has anything to do with the topic, but before I bought the album myself, I got it from a friend who bought it on the very 1st day it came out, and ripped his CD into mp3 using Cdex twice, then made an exact copy using RecordNow, AND got it onto the ipod using Itunes, and on EVERY single occasion, the software showed "errors" or similar messages when ripping/converting "right in two" at the exact same place). However, the song plyed fine in all cases afterwards.

StereoScopicLenses
05-15-2006, 03:47 PM

There is no skip. You just think you hear it. Danny is a polyrhythmic genius. He crashes in with some cymbols early. Just before the up beat. I can't believe you haven't realized that Tool likes to use odd Time signatures and experiment and mix them. Pure Genius.

DON IOTAE
05-15-2006, 03:56 PM

THIS IS A FLAW

tool25
05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
OMG!

chalk_line
05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I dont hear this at all , sounds fine to me

cold and faded anger
05-15-2006, 06:19 PM
just listened to it and thats just an odd time signature or adam jumping in right away with the distortion...

Thanatos
05-20-2006, 06:30 AM
i dunno, the farting kinda made me like maynards dick more actually...
Taken out of context, that quote is quite comical.

I don't hear any flaws in this song at all.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 06:52 AM

this is where the "skip" is in my opinion, the guitar just seems so out of place for like a second.

reordian
05-20-2006, 07:22 AM
this is where the "skip" is in my opinion, the guitar just seems so out of place for like a second.

Timmy!!!

Jofus
05-20-2006, 07:32 AM
theres a lot fo effects going on in this part of the song and a lot of general chaos going on also. What you are hearing is Tool rocking out and being chaotic. I dont think it misses a beat in terms of Tempo, just throws in a lot of messy noise, which in my opinion is a very effective climax.

champion
05-20-2006, 07:55 AM
The best intentional skipping:

Neurosis' A Sun That Never Sets, on "Stones From the Sky."

mike tyson
05-20-2006, 07:59 AM
THIS IS ONE INSTANCE WHERE CAPS LOCK IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

myky
05-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Neurosis are awesome. Not hearing the skip either, to be honest.

Bloody
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
how the hell can it ruin the song?
if they placed a guy farting in it, would THAT ruin the song.......... that's just lame

..yeah, i think a guy farting would pretty much ruin a song for me..

I mean if instead of danny hitting the gong in lateralus it was a guy farting, it wouldnt have the same impact for me..

LMAO!!!

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Damn, dude! Quit yelling! And no, I don't hear what you are talking about, but a lot of other people do. Maybe it was a production error that happenned after the studio (during the actual pressing of the discs- maybe a pubic hair over the laser) and maybe that could explain why so many people vehemently deny the existence of this skip, while likewise, so many other people are just as vehemently proclaiming it's existence. Maybe my theory could be proven by an in-depth geographical breakdown (you know, maybe the flawed copies were all distributed west of the Mississippi while the eastern half of the country got the ones without the skips). But then again, my copy isn't flawed, so I don't have time to worry about that.

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 11:28 AM

You made me laugh out loud when I read that (note to all you motherfuckers who insist on the asinine: I didn't use a sophmoric- or maybe even fourthgradic- fucking acronym). I was wondering what was going on there with that sudden entry of the guitar, but then I read your post as the meter tripped over 6:00, and it sounds just like "AABDWATIMMY!!!!" only really fast. Maybe it is just some quirk in the engineering, but I swear to god that it is there. Fucking hi-larious.

Nizzem
05-21-2006, 03:24 PM
I hear no skip

Ranger10000
05-22-2006, 09:48 AM
There's deffinently a skip... i hear it too, and it throws off the next lyric but a half second. So it doesnt flow as smoothly as the rest.

Yes, its there.. it also sounds like a voice is cut off saying something at the same place.

EulogyCallinMe
05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
haha ok upon many many listenings i do not hear a skip nor do i hear a timmy.
i hear fight til they die at 6:01 and nowhere within do i hear a skip at all. and the mars voltas televators doent skip either, theres a weird guitar phaser effect and like...congas, but no skips.

EulogyCallinMe
05-22-2006, 10:49 AM
The best intentional skipping:

Neurosis' A Sun That Never Sets, on "Stones From the Sky."
quoted for like 800% truth. seriously that song is the mack daddy. and anything thats called the mack daddy by anyone must be cool.

seeker
05-28-2006, 10:07 PM
ya, my WoW cd skips sometimes when i'm jogging lol

Systolic
05-28-2006, 10:40 PM
11/4 will sound like skipping to anyone who isn't used to asymmetrical time signatures. The song accents beats in sequences of 3, 3, 3, 2... so you could break each series of 11 beats into 3 measures of 3 and 1 measure of 2. If you don't listen to music with many asymmetrical time signatures, it will sound to you like the 4th series "skips a beat"... when it actually just omits one. However, the sad thing is that the whole song is in 11, so if you don't notice that up until over halfway through the song, you just have no sense of rhythm whatsoever.