PDA

View Full Version : Quintessential Tool Song?

Wondering
11-23-2002, 02:17 PM
I've thought about it for a while, and the more it runs across my mind, the more it seems that The Grudge is everything that i'd like a song to be. Listening brings back the memory of May 15 when i had first gotten the album.....I'm sitting under the stars, with headphones on, a drink, and a couple canine companions. I was sitting there thinking, "Okay...this is the NEW tool sound. In what kinds of places will i find myself after listening to this?" And then you hear that sound at the beginning (like a shop fan kicking in), and then "BAM!" the bass and drums pound there way through my consciouness. I remember being totally breathtaken by this song, from the hemiola section (1,2...1,2...1,2,3....1,2,3...etc) to Maynard's wonderful vocals. And the sound of the drums on this album! Don't get me wrong--Danny Carey's drumming has always been inspiring, but the way that the drums are miked on this just lends this wonderful quality to Lateralus. After hearing this for the first time, i knew instantly that i'd bought an album that would spend a LOT of time in my CD player. And, you know, i still haven't taken it out. How many albums do you buy like that??? For me, though, the Grudge is a GREAT song, and i was really glad that both times that i heard TOOL play (Madison and Ames), they played it. I just feel EXHAUSTED after the the last minute or so of this one. I have a LOT of albums, but none of the rock albums i have even come close to touching this one, especially with an opener like this.

povvy
11-23-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Wondering
"BAM!" the bass and drums pound there way through my consciouness. I remember being totally breathtaken by this song,

Hearing them roar out with "The Grudge" live is a lot like that, too. Very, very cool.

Especially on the Summer 2002 US tour... they reveal the first piece of Alex Grey art on the stage when "The Grudge" starts.

Patrick.

Slave#1
12-01-2002, 10:10 AM
I also really like the way that the drums are miced (sp)

It adds to the surreal effect of the songs.