PDA

View Full Version : this song has no climax

NoD
05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Anyone else think this song is just unbelievably flat. It's 7 minutes of a level plain with no hills (let alone mountains). It's so anti-vicarious it's amazing they put the 2 side by side (and the first 2 songs no less). IMO this is the weakest song on the album and also the weakest in the past 3 albums. The most un-epic 7 minute song I've heard.

champion
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
If the "shine on forever" part isn't good enough for you, then you are superhuman.

tool/rush/mars
05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
your an idiot, its the best song on the album by far

imatoolhed
05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Anyone else think this song is just unbelievably flat. It's 7 minutes of a level plain with no hills (let alone mountains). It's so anti-vicarious it's amazing they put the 2 side by side (and the first 2 songs no less). IMO this is the weakest song on the album and also the weakest in the past 3 albums. The most un-epic 7 minute song I've heard.

I'm shocked imo it's gonna become a tool masterpiece. Put some headfones on and close your eyes and listen. It's true tool top to bottom. From the lyrics to the way he sings them, musically it's off the fucking wall man. The blend of guitar and justins bass riff on this one to dannys drum work = toolriffic shit. The heavy middle part, just grabs you and slams you hard. The talk box solo, seems to have a life of it's own.
Again imo it will be a classic, along side all the others.

K In Yo Mouf
05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm Amazed That Any1 Could Find Thiz Song Anything Short of Extraordinary...

I'm Speechless...

waffel
05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Stop Capatalizing The First Letter Of Every Word.

mike09
05-10-2006, 02:27 PM

I think you need to give it a few more listens. The climax of the song, as I think everyone will agree on, is the "Shine on benevolent son" part. Or maybe you'll always think it's flat and there's nothing wrong with that. I say just give it some time. I didn't like H until last year.

chalk_line
05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
the weakest song on the past 3 albums??? you've gotta be joking

von satan
05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
give it time bro, it will be a classic IMO, but i must agree when you get to the end, "stay out of my WAY !!" i wish there was another ending riff for a minute or so.

Espresso
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Flat and tool in the same sentance, coming from this board?????
Well it starts rocking ends rocking, but there is this whole middle part of the song. Alot happens there like some quiet parts. The shine on benevolent sun part is almost an anti climax. I'm a little more inclined to say "then I might as well be gone" or "silently just stay out of my way" is the climax. But it also sounds like there should be more song with another climax, it stops right when you think it needs another. Possibly cause we are all junkies for a pop song. I also think the way it cuts off with that feeling almost of loss. That song is so amazing that i would give anything just to hear it, just one more minute with that song, one more minute. Whats that song about anyways, C'mon guys

imatoolhed
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Go check out the jambi sub forum in the 10,000 days forum.

K In Yo Mouf
05-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Stop Capatalizing The First Letter Of Every Word.

Don't Tell Me Wat 2 Do...

Saturn10003
05-10-2006, 04:24 PM
your an idiot, its the best song on the album by far

#Notion
05-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Don't Tell Me Wat 2 Do...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you started using forums maybe a week ago..

anagram?
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM

I disagree. It's one of my favorite Tool songs...at least 98% of it is. It's not that there is no climax, but rather there is no ending. It just stops as if the song is unfinished. That's the only part about the song I don't love.

layersbeyondimagination
05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree with the OP. this song is flat. and i absolutely HATE the intro. it reminds me of some shitty metal or emo band trying to be hardcore. The song has no appeal to it i feel. it just kinda ... happens.

SagEarthDragon
05-10-2006, 04:51 PM

Since when was it a requirement to have 'mountains' in every damn song? Is there a base blueprint for a song? I didn't know that...

Jambi is one of those songs are subtle and grasp you from behind. I love that. So, I'll just leave it at that.

jazz
05-10-2006, 06:02 PM
this is one of my fave songs off this album. are we listening to the same track here?

smeefsmeef
05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
It's not a friggin' book. It doesn't need a climax.

Spiral Into Nothing
05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Dude, the riff right before the talk box solo is amazing and is played with so much energy.

Jambi kicks ass.

submachine
05-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Flat and tool in the same sentance, coming from this board?????
Well it starts rocking ends rocking, but there is this whole middle part of the song.

Most of the songs have a climax but its so far towards the end that they suffer for it, Vicarious (and The Pot) being the fortunate exception.

evil agent
05-11-2006, 12:24 PM
When you fuck your girlfriend, do you ONLY enjoy the climax?

NoD
05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
When you fuck your girlfriend, do you ONLY enjoy the climax?

(talk about desensitization...)

Do you like your girlfriend to get up and leave right before you blow your load?

evil agent
05-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Touché.

Warartist
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM

this song, IS a fucking CLIMAX!!

randomhero8823
05-11-2006, 05:53 PM
this song, IS a fucking CLIMAX!!

Thats what she said

Warartist
05-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I think you need to give it a few more listens. The climax of the song, as I think everyone will agree on, is the "Shine on benevolent son" part. Or maybe you'll always think it's flat and there's nothing wrong with that. I say just give it some time. I didn't like H until last year.

H. is like my favorite song, ever since i first heard it. what turned you off about it?

randomhero8823
05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
The climax of this song for me is either the part after he says Jambi Eyes, or the talk box solo, im not sure

Warartist
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Thats what she said

yea, i said it... soo

Warartist
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM
i think it hits right after i might as well be gone, actually maybe at the begining of that line.

ynrohyrev
05-11-2006, 06:11 PM
i find the very last part to be really climactic but at the same time it leaves you feeling like there should be more. the way he sings STAY OUT OF MY WAAAY, to me that's among maynard's most aggressive moments.

Nous
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
This song for me did take a bit but know i really enjoy it.. the ONLY thing that doesn't make me blow my beans (seeing as were all talking about climaxes in here) is the talkbox solo and the end...good not great..

rogerdoger
05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I love this song. And it's even better if you look at the entire album as a single flowing son., Tool is really good at making albums that do this... It starts out fairly high with Vicarious, then elevates in Jambi. From there it plunges down in Wings pt. 1. Throughout 10,000 Days, it starts climbing again, then is back up again in The Pot....ok no more, I think you get what I mean.

ELPsteel
05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Are you fucking joking? This is by far one of the better and more fresh sounding songs on the album. The breakdown at 4 minutes or so into the song (the part that gets talkbox'd over) is SICK. When I was listening to Jambi the first time and it got to that part, a huge smile appeared on my face and the headbanging commenced. Its the subtle, yet not-so-subtle Meshuggah influence. To me, that's where the song really climaxes and from there on it's denouement.

bitter_enigma
05-11-2006, 09:54 PM
A spoonful of Meshuggah helps the medicine go down?

Satan's Caulk
05-11-2006, 10:16 PM
This piece is crazy. It builds and build up until Adam plays by himself and then it just goes into that semi-hardcore part. And the ending leaves you on such a high level. This song is fucking awesome.

crack
05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
this is one of my faves; partly BECAUSE it has no climax. a friend of mine hates the 'solo' b/c he thinks its flat. i say stop expecting things like a climax or a flashy solo, and you wont be disappointed; you'll be able to enjoy the song in the way it was meant to be enjoyed. i like it b/c its relaxing not to have that up and down, and to just enjoy each cool part for what it is: its own part. dont judge the song based on what its NOT, and you'll be able to listen to it with an open mind

undeniable dilemma
05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
This song is great before and after the solo. The solo is shit. It is annoying as a seven-year-old with ADHD.

Warartist
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
this was my FIRST favorite song on this album, but that keeps changing. i love it tho, i dont know how anyone couldnt.
mandy

Kinesthesis
05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Definitely my fave.

Exegesis
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Admittedly, the song seemed flat at first, but that quickly changed with a few listens. Stop trying to enforce your idea of what a Tool song should sound like, and you'll love this song. It has a few climax points in it. Not every song can have a Super Hyper Cosmic climax like 46x2. That would get old really really fast.
Jambi is one of the more unique tool experiences, and it has some of the coolest vocals and dirtiest grooves in Tool's catalog of songs, so I'm quite happy with it.
The trippy bass effects and the combination of different accents from each instrument give this song such a cool feel. I dunno, keep listening and all will make sense to you. If not, you're not listening correctly. Fix it.

resonance.
05-12-2006, 01:57 PM
the weakest song on the past 3 albums??? you've gotta be joking

Any song on this album qualifies.

beyond
05-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I climax when I listen to this song.

(You should try it.)

ArizonaBay
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
If the "shine on forever" part isn't good enough for you, then you are superhuman. No, wait that other thing... degenerate

Just making your post appropriately insulting.

swampyfool
05-16-2006, 06:08 AM
Any song on this album qualifies.

WOW! Wasn't expecting that! I think this album kicks ass! This song in particular. I would say that intension is the weakest song in three albums, possibly in the entire repertoire- but then I think that souls have no drum machine . . . or . . . you know what I mean.

I love that Tool continues to play with strange and off the wall time signatures (9/8 in this song, but there's also 11/8 and 5/4 all over this album). The only thing about this song that might be flat is the key signature (but I'm a fuckin' drummer so how the fuck should I know?).

Anyway, the only criticism I HAD about this song was the talk box (by the way, is this different from a vox box?) solo. At first, it didn't live up to my expectations, because when I read that Tool was using one on this album, I was expecting some really technical, complex and unorthodoxed fingerings to go along with the effect. However, the musical mastery that Tool provides becomes more clear to me every time I listen to it. The key word here is dissension. The drawn out extension of the notes at the end of the initial riff in conjunction with the bent strings provide for a stunning set of sonic contrasts against the solid, rhythmic patterns left as a backdrop as the entire song shifts into a 6/8 rhythm. As the solo continues, it's intensity culminates in a throwback to Joe Walsh and even (gulp) Peter Frampton with a very functional reintroduction to the driving backbeat, while still maintaining its dissonent qualities.
I guess my point about this solo is that you shouldn't get so hung up in an apparent lack of complexity and allow the genius of simplicity to pass you by. This solo fits the mold of "Less is More" in a way that invites a level of sonic complexity into what would seem on the face to be a relatively simple feat. I say "simple" only when judged by the unussually high standard of complexity that Tool has set for itself and that we have all come to know and love. Just remember that Tool is a band that has reinvented itself with every new album. Even AEnima, because of its new and radically changed feel (vs. Undertow), took a little while to sink in with me, but giving it the benefit of the doubt was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Jimmeny
05-16-2006, 09:32 AM
It has some ace moments but it doesn't really flow that well as a song, several unrelated section spliced together. Parts of the song are really really great, but 'the best song on the album by far' and 'a tool masterpiece' it is not.

Scrotophagus
05-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes it is.

Jimmeny
05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
lol, ok.

(Tool have crafted better songs)

TJP
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Anyone else think this song is just unbelievably flat. It's 7 minutes of a level plain with no hills (let alone mountains). It's so anti-vicarious it's amazing they put the 2 side by side (and the first 2 songs no less). IMO this is the weakest song on the album and also the weakest in the past 3 albums. The most un-epic 7 minute song I've heard.Bullshit

swampyfool
05-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Bullshit

Couldn't agree more.

ID-entity
05-18-2006, 07:02 AM
WOW! Wasn't expecting that! I think this album kicks ass! This song in particular. I would say that intension is the weakest song in three albums, possibly in the entire repertoire- but then I think that souls have no drum machine . . . or . . . you know what I mean.

I love that Tool continues to play with strange and off the wall time signatures (9/8 in this song, but there's also 11/8 and 5/4 all over this album). The only thing about this song that might be flat is the key signature (but I'm a fuckin' drummer so how the fuck should I know?).

Anyway, the only criticism I HAD about this song was the talk box (by the way, is this different from a vox box?) solo. At first, it didn't live up to my expectations, because when I read that Tool was using one on this album, I was expecting some really technical, complex and unorthodoxed fingerings to go along with the effect. However, the musical mastery that Tool provides becomes more clear to me every time I listen to it. The key word here is dissension. The drawn out extension of the notes at the end of the initial riff in conjunction with the bent strings provide for a stunning set of sonic contrasts against the solid, rhythmic patterns left as a backdrop as the entire song shifts into a 6/8 rhythm. As the solo continues, it's intensity culminates in a throwback to Joe Walsh and even (gulp) Peter Frampton with a very functional reintroduction to the driving backbeat, while still maintaining its dissonent qualities.
I guess my point about this solo is that you shouldn't get so hung up in an apparent lack of complexity and allow the genius of simplicity to pass you by. This solo fits the mold of "Less is More" in a way that invites a level of sonic complexity into what would seem on the face to be a relatively simple feat. I say "simple" only when judged by the unussually high standard of complexity that Tool has set for itself and that we have all come to know and love. Just remember that Tool is a band that has reinvented itself with every new album. Even AEnima, because of its new and radically changed feel (vs. Undertow), took a little while to sink in with me, but giving it the benefit of the doubt was one of the best decisions I ever made.
This guy knows his shit.

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
This guy knows his shit.

Aw, Shucks!