PDA

View Full Version : Look what this article in my local news says about the pot

Mark-Star
05-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Tool – 10,000 Days

(Volcano)

www.toolband.com

4 stars

Two songs on the album have the title “Wings for Marie,” Marie being lead singer Maynard Keenan’s mother, who lived exactly 10,000 days between her paralyzing stroke and her death.

The album cover is the band’s second to incorporate artwork by Alex Grey, an artist known for his intricate psychedelic artwork, as well as his spiritual philosophy. This, along with tracks like “Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)” and “Lipan Conjuring” are outward references to the band’s increasingly visionary and spiritual themes that appear with each new album. These two tracks, along with “Viginiti Tres” are more ethereal soundscape than song.

But, alas, what is a Tool album without mockery (“Rosetta Stoned”) and a finger-pointing anger ballad? Filling the latter role nicely is “Pot,” a double-entendre that seemingly attacks marijuana users for their criticisms of those who would choose to dabble in sterner stuff. As with most of the band’s work, the music is driven by Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor’s percussion, with Adam Jones’s simplicity in playing serving more to accompany their rhythm. Keenan, however, has not made it through his days with A Perfect Circle unscathed. His vocal presence has expanded to include not only the guttural growl made famous by Tool, but also the melodic vocal ability unveiled in the aforementioned side-project.

Though difficult to express here, the lyrics are one of the album’s high-points. Every line is carefully chosen, and unlike many of their ilk, Tool’s songs seem to form a cohesive and complete message.

Try this Track: “Jambi”

— Matt Riddle

Archaeologist
05-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Finger-pointing anger ballad? Not to mention "double-entendre that seemingly attacks marijuana users for their criticisms of those who would choose to dabble in sterner stuff".

Did this dude actually listen to the album?

Mark-Star
05-11-2006, 06:01 AM
thats what im saying

K In Yo Mouf
05-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Down Syndrome Astoundz Me...

TheEulogyOfMe
05-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Down Syndrome Astoundz Me...

Hey. There are S's in the Alphabet for a reason. Use them. And another thing. Stop Typing Like This. It Drives People Fucking Crazy. U is a letter in the alphabet as well, but it doesn't mean you. That's why the word "you" is in the English vocabulary. If you're typing like that to preserve some kind of identity you wish you had in the first place, you're wrong. Unless that identity is to be percieved as a homey-g-dawg gangsta wanna be thug. Do us all a favor (all of us who have to lower our IQ's to read your mindless babble) and articulate your thoughts correctly, or just not type anything. I don't care if you don't know how to spell words. That's not necessarily your fault. But typing "u" instead of "you" is ridiculous. Thank you.

champion
05-11-2006, 06:34 AM
I think it's "mirror for ya."

champion
05-11-2006, 06:37 AM
How do you know?

I hear "for ya."

K In Yo Mouf
05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Hey. There are S's in the Alphabet for a reason. Use them. And another thing. Stop Typing Like This. It Drives People Fucking Crazy. U is a letter in the alphabet as well, but it doesn't mean you. That's why the word "you" is in the English vocabulary. If you're typing like that to preserve some kind of identity you wish you had in the first place, you're wrong. Unless that identity is to be percieved as a homey-g-dawg gangsta wanna be thug. Do us all a favor (all of us who have to lower our IQ's to read your mindless babble) and articulate your thoughts correctly, or just not type anything. I don't care if you don't know how to spell words. That's not necessarily your fault. But typing "u" instead of "you" is ridiculous. Thank you.

What Would Make u Think I Care About Wat Other People Think...

gixxer
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
"Did this dude actually listen to the album?"

umm.. i think he sorta on the money. Its clear that Maynard is conveying that stoners should not be pointing their fingers at others, but for what reason Im not sure.

Also I dont understand what all the confusion about the line Lier, Lawer, Mirror for you, whats the difference.

He is simply saying there is no difference between the person looking in the mirror and a lier/lawyer. We all know Lawyers are liers.

buster hymen
05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I know because I have a Mach 4 stereo system in my car. And it's not *crazy awesome* but it is very good. And it is very loud. And very clearly, he says "mirror, foil." The "L" is pronounced clearly.

Hey everybody he's got a mach 4 stereo system!

holy shit!

rogerdoger
05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
First off:
Most of the people that look at these forums are fairly intelexual people... Unless you wish to just blatantly piss people off, you should actually use the english langauge, as that is what we use here on these forums.

Ok, now that that's said:
I think that this song may be pointing at both parties, both the stoners and the politicians, lawyers, etc. I think it's telling them both they are wrongfully pointing their fingers, not just one or the other.

chalk_line
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
It's not "Mirror for you." It's "Mirror, foil."

foil? hmm nope sorry.. i definately don't hear foil (and i have a mach 23)

Midas6918
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM

umm ya, fuckin' read the lyrics without listening to the music. IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE LIKE THAT.

Why would there be no difference between a liar, a lawyer, a mirror, and a foil??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Midas6918
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Go smoke some more crack!

HolyReality
05-11-2006, 07:08 PM
since when did tool start the "gutteral growl" craze?

gixxer
05-12-2006, 06:48 AM
After listning to this song more, I am thinking Maynard is talking to someone personally and not to a whole group. Just like Hooker and a Penis when he is talking to the kid that told him he sold out. I think this song is directed at someone Maynard knows.

Eussiah
05-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Most of the people that look at these forums are fairly intelexual people...

Yes, most of us are quite intellectual.

you should actually use the english langauge, as that is what we use here on these forums

"Who are you to wave your finger?"

(No personal offense, it was just classic irony.)

guitarpete987
05-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Yes, most of us are quite intellectual.

"Who are you to wave your finger?"

(No personal offense, it was just classic irony.)

SHIT. I was about to send my post when I read yours. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Koan
05-12-2006, 08:58 AM
The Pot to me is about both the politicians blaming everything on drugs and druggies blaming everything on politics. Both are hypocrites, just the same. In fact the marihuana reference is just a vehicle for the song's topic, hypocricy.

Convoy_X
05-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I really don’t think it has any thing to do with drugs at all "The Pot" as in the one that called the kettle black....

Blanket_509
05-12-2006, 02:49 PM

haha it's definately not mirror, foil. That makes absolutely no sense. Sometimes I can't believe what some people come up with when they try to read too deeply into a poem or song. I don't care how great your car stereo is. What, do you think we are all listening to it through a transistor radio? I really don't know how anybody could hear anything but "mirror for ya"; it's quite clear. He's saying "here's a mirror for you, look into it and tell me if you can see a difference." Foil would would just make him sound retarded. You'll see that I'm right when the official lyrics go up.

win
05-13-2006, 10:46 AM

at least someone said it

Bukkhead
05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Silly journalist. I highly doubt this is a vindictive aimed at stoners. Clearly, with all of the religious imagery, this song is decrying the hypocrisy of being judgemental, and basing said judgement on some kind of religious affiliation.

Here's one good line: "Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent"
The Kangeroo court that tried Jesus found him "guilty," though he was sent as the one who was innocent of all sin. ("Hung" instead of "crucified," since "hung" is a better metaphor for executed since "crucified" has too much of a connotation of sacrifice and marytydom. In this way the singer does not acknowledge any divinity.) In essence, the singer is suggesting that the very being who informs the judgemental's rational was found guilty by the government-- to then condemn someone who also disobeys, and to base said condemnation on the divinity of a condemned man, is the height of hypocricy.

Sorry for any typos. And this is an explication, not an explanation, so if you disagree, I can respect that.

The English Language
05-13-2006, 10:24 PM

OH GOD, THE PAIN!

HateSolstice
05-13-2006, 10:24 PM
I've said this just a bit earlier in another topic(it's stickied, so go read it), but for the sake of humouring myself, I'll say it again.

I really don't think this song has much to do with the war on drugs, or is actually aimed at the government. In my opinion, the telling line in the song "Soapbox house of glass and cards, so don't go tossin' your stones around" is about people who sit in their homes, watch the news, yell at the tv as if Bush can respond or even hear them, but will do nothing to prove their case, nor will stand up for anything they believe in. So in other words it's a song saying "Don't point your fucking finger at anyone if you aren't willing to do something about it yourself."

But this is just one side of this song. As we all know, Tool songs seem pretty ambiguous, so really The Pot is a song about hypocrisy, but I don't think the hypocrites in question are the ones everyone thinks.

Just go read the other topic if you're even slightly curious as to what I've said. I can continue to pick apart all the lines in the song, but there really is no need.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=43724

I didn't come in untill the third page, so I guess if you're THAT curious, just read the whole thing.

Yikes, I just came across as a "know it all". Damn. Sorry dudes and dudettes.

Triangular_Vision
05-14-2006, 12:08 PM
mmm. No. Sorry.

First time it's: Liar, lawyer. Mirror show me what's the difference.
Second: Liar, lawyer. Mirror, foil.

nope it definately says later in the song:

liar lawyer
mirror for you [forya'whats] whats the difference

kangaroo he's stoned
he's guilty as the government

kangaroo referrs to a 'kangaroo court' btw.

and somebody shoot that mother fucker that is bitching about S's fucking shit dont u think before u type u fucking shit fuck shit! You put more effort into calling out someone than you did into listening to the song. This in turn caused me to rant about you pissing me off... lets see where it goes from here.

HateSolstice
05-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Umm, getting mad because someone prefers proper English is kind of redundant, isn't it?

martyrinexile86
05-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Very well said.

ArizonaBay
05-15-2006, 07:12 PM

It really shouldnt but it drives me crazy too. It is like the internet equivalent of shouting in a horrible whiny voice "look at me!!" Its annoying. Stop it. It reads like a speach impediment.

Dashel
05-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I think the hypocritical pot user is an interesting take. When talk of legalization comes up they are usually the first ones to say that weed is ok but the other 'bad' drugs are not.

wags
05-17-2006, 07:40 PM

amen.

TurdEye13
05-21-2006, 08:34 PM
This is ridiculous

Aggroculture
05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
This is ridiculous

lol. Agreed.

abrack29
05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
I know because I have a Mach 4 stereo system in my car. And it's not *crazy awesome* but it is very good. And it is very loud. And very clearly, he says "mirror, foil." The "L" is pronounced clearly.

Yes, just like at the very beginning he says "Who are you to wave your finger, your musta been out your hair.."
Sorry, it's "mirror, for ya" and "out your head," sometimes what you hear isn't what he's saying. I don't understand though, I just listened to that part 10 times in a row, I hear no "L" sound, and I don't see how anyone else could possibly hear it. It does sound like he says "hair" at the beginning, for the record, but I know that's not right...

BlanketEffect
05-21-2006, 10:47 PM

Yeah, and in the opening line of the song it sounds like he says,phonetically, "You must have been out your hair" ( he doesn't actually pronounce the "D" in a hard tone - likewise with the soft 'D' sound at the end of 'dead'... this is a common singer's tool to keep certain consonant sounds at the ends of phrases from being too dramatic. "Liar, lawyer; mirror for you what's the difference" could be as in asking the mirror "For you, what's the difference between a liar and a lawyer" the answer being nothing. And the mirror would be the ultimate word, since it's the one doing the comparison.

And from here on out, anyone that uses the term "obviously" before making an opinion about the lyrical content needs to be banned from the forum. The only OBVIOUS thing is that it's all up for interpretation at this point. If it was OBVIOUS, we'd all agree. Fuckers can't help but be self-righteous even on a goddamned Tool board of all places. Now *that's* irony.

Pseudo-open-minded dispshits.

will see you auntie
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Finger-pointing anger ballad? Not to mention "double-entendre that seemingly attacks marijuana users for their criticisms of those who would choose to dabble in sterner stuff".

Did this dude actually listen to the album?

also, did that guy do the math to see if it was EXACTLY 10,000 days between maynards moms paralysis and her passing. he sure does pass off his opinion as fact. fuckin blood suckin cock tuckin journalists...but, on the bright side, he gave a positive review, and how many other local news guys have ever reported anything tool? not mine in charlottesville, virginia, thats for sure.

will see you auntie
05-23-2006, 12:45 PM

wow...touchy, touchy. are you (i mean u) really that miserable? find something meaningful to bitch about and stop attacking other tool fans for NO GODAMN FUCKIN REASON ! just kidding, man. say what you wanna say to whoever you wanna say it to. free country.

will see you auntie
05-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey everybody he's got a mach 4 stereo system!

holy shit!

i got one of those new mach 5 razors from gillette. closest shave ever. strange girls actually rub their perfectly manicured hands all over my face everywhere i go.

when did gillette start making stereos in addition to razors, anyway?

swampyfool
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Actually, I was wondering about the lyric:

Liar, lawyer. Mirror, foil. What's the difference?

Mirror = coke
foil = can be used as a poor stupid man's pipe.

There maybe truth uncovered ;o

Why do cokeheads always think it's about cocaine? I think you should put away your mirror and foil for awhile, and THEN give the song a listen? eh?

Happyfunball
05-23-2006, 07:35 PM
"Liar, lawyer, mirror, voyuer, what's the difference."

That's what I hear at least, and seems like it makes an assload more sense than 'foil' or 'for ya'. Regardless, I believe at this point in the song Maynard was using the word pairings in comparison to one another. So somebody looking at themselves (like in a mirror) and then looking at somebody else (being a voyuer) would actually see no difference. Hence, they'd be like a pot calling the kettle black.

thomasknight
05-23-2006, 11:44 PM
foil is for the smoking of heroin - and that alone!

will see you auntie
05-24-2006, 03:45 AM
foil is for the smoking of heroin - and that alone!

im not proud of it, but ive smoked both crack and crank (meth) off of aluminum foil

BlanketEffect
05-24-2006, 08:06 AM

That's what I hear at least, and seems like it makes an assload more sense than 'foil' or 'for ya'. Regardless, I believe at this point in the song Maynard was using the word pairings in comparison to one another. So somebody looking at themselves (like in a mirror) and then looking at somebody else (being a voyuer) would actually see no difference. Hence, they'd be like a pot calling the kettle black.

I dunno if that's what he's saying or not. It's the best alternative to the widely accepted line that I've read, however.

bmeason
05-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Show me = he's asking for the difference

*for ya = think for yourself, what is the difference to you

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I dunno if that's what he's saying or not. It's the best alternative to the widely accepted line that I've read, however.
What this motherfucker said.

Dredg
05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
And from here on out, anyone that uses the term "obviously" before making an opinion about the lyrical content needs to be banned from the forum. The only OBVIOUS thing is that it's all up for interpretation at this point. If it was OBVIOUS, we'd all agree. Fuckers can't help but be self-righteous even on a goddamned Tool board of all places. Now *that's* irony.

Pseudo-open-minded dispshits.

There is only one song meaning. Its only obvious to those who read all the lyrics, understand the metaphors, and tone qualities of the song.

thomasknight
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
im not proud of it, but ive smoked both crack and crank (meth) off of aluminum foil

Foil can also be used for household purposes, such as the wrapping of food. I believe it can also be used for electronic purposes aswell.

DrummerAndrew
05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I can't stand this crap. Why hasn't anyone realized that foil does not refer to aluminum foil? It's foil in the classic sense, as in drama. Here:
Foil
A character in a play who sets off the main character or other characters by comparison. In Shakespeare's "Hamlet" Hamlet and Laertes are young men who behave very differently. While Hamlet delays in carrying out his mission to avenge the death of his father, Laertes is quick and bold in his challenge of the king over the death of his father. Much can be learned about each by comparing and contrasting the actions of the two.
Think about that and foil does make sense. Both are physical representations of the same object, yet are NOT that original object. I have to admit at the same time, I tend to sing "mirror for ya." Love this album.

Opiate_Mass
05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
no there's an "a" sound, no L

Opiate_Mass
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM

That's what I hear at least, and seems like it makes an assload more sense than 'foil' or 'for ya'. Regardless, I believe at this point in the song Maynard was using the word pairings in comparison to one another. So somebody looking at themselves (like in a mirror) and then looking at somebody else (being a voyuer) would actually see no difference. Hence, they'd be like a pot calling the kettle black.voyeur also fits over for ya. as with his accent it's hard to heard words that are pronounced oddly, properly, and maynard does that alot.
but voyeur is MUCH better than foil. wtf, who thought that bullshit up? pull that out of your arse didja?

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Foil can also be used for household purposes, such as the wrapping of food. I believe it can also be used for electronic purposes aswell.
Thank you Mr. Knight, I hadn't realized.

one_reflection
05-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I can't stand this crap. Why hasn't anyone realized that foil does not refer to aluminum foil? It's foil in the classic sense, as in drama. Here:
Foil
A character in a play who sets off the main character or other characters by comparison. In Shakespeare's "Hamlet" Hamlet and Laertes are young men who behave very differently. While Hamlet delays in carrying out his mission to avenge the death of his father, Laertes is quick and bold in his challenge of the king over the death of his father. Much can be learned about each by comparing and contrasting the actions of the two.
Think about that and foil does make sense. Both are physical representations of the same object, yet are NOT that original object. I have to admit at the same time, I tend to sing "mirror for ya." Love this album.

Damn you =p -- I was just about to go there.

This song drives me insane (in a very good way mind you)....just listening for the line....still listening....i might have missed it already...nope, there it is. Hmm, it does sound like for ya. But, next time i hear it it might sound like the other. *shrugs* a line does not decide a song for me.

Anywho, the definition i found, which sways me to thinking it could be foil:

"A foil character is either one who is in most ways opposite to the main character or nearly the same as the main character. The purpose of the foil character is to emphasize the traits of the main character by comparison or contrast".

This works so well that i might almost over look the 'for ya' sound ;p

BlanketEffect
05-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Makes sense... but, I still like 'voyeur' more 0-)
(but I still sing 'for ya')

Jon08
05-26-2006, 05:49 PM
First off:

Most of the people that look at these forums are fairly intelexual people... Unless you wish to just blatantly piss people off, you should actually use the english langauge, as that is what we use here on these forums.

Ok, now that that's said:
I think that this song may be pointing at both parties, both the stoners and the politicians, lawyers, etc. I think it's telling them both they are wrongfully pointing their fingers, not just one or the other.

you are an unintelligent being in my opinion. you are arrogant and close-minded. "actually use the english language..." as you can see, he is from Africa, and is perhaps not familiar with english. at least he took the initiative to join the forums and think.

M.Luther
05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Tool – 10,000 Days

(Volcano)

www.toolband.com

4 stars

Two songs on the album have the title “Wings for Marie,” Marie being lead singer Maynard Keenan’s mother, who lived exactly 10,000 days between her paralyzing stroke and her death.

The album cover is the band’s second to incorporate artwork by Alex Grey, an artist known for his intricate psychedelic artwork, as well as his spiritual philosophy. This, along with tracks like “Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)” and “Lipan Conjuring” are outward references to the band’s increasingly visionary and spiritual themes that appear with each new album. These two tracks, along with “Viginiti Tres” are more ethereal soundscape than song.

But, alas, what is a Tool album without mockery (“Rosetta Stoned”) and a finger-pointing anger ballad? Filling the latter role nicely is “Pot,” a double-entendre that seemingly attacks marijuana users for their criticisms of those who would choose to dabble in sterner stuff. As with most of the band’s work, the music is driven by Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor’s percussion, with Adam Jones’s simplicity in playing serving more to accompany their rhythm. Keenan, however, has not made it through his days with A Perfect Circle unscathed. His vocal presence has expanded to include not only the guttural growl made famous by Tool, but also the melodic vocal ability unveiled in the aforementioned side-project.

Though difficult to express here, the lyrics are one of the album’s high-points. Every line is carefully chosen, and unlike many of their ilk, Tool’s songs seem to form a cohesive and complete message.

Try this Track: “Jambi”

— Matt Riddle

is that guy for sure, a local reporter? i think i recognize that name as being a syndicated reviewer or columnist. either way..
for matt riddle smoking crank while listening to 10kd

Warartist
05-28-2006, 10:50 AM
mmm. No. Sorry.

First time it's: Liar, lawyer. Mirror show me what's the difference.
Second: Liar, lawyer. Mirror, foil.

Your right on the first line, the second is definitely liar, lawyer, mirror, for ya whats the difference?

M.

blood_wh0re
05-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Re: the "mirror, foil" ditty....ask someone that you personally know whose hobby is to snort cocaine and ask them what they think of those whose hobby it is to smoke crack cocaine...what's the difference..."only seeing one's own faults manifested in another" is a symptom of...

The Official Fiction
06-01-2006, 12:06 AM
anger ballad.