PDA

View Full Version : Is Maynard a christian or jewish monotheist?

sidereal
05-10-2006, 02:51 AM
Sorry folk, though ive been a student of their music for many years, i don't know much about the personalities nor lyrics in tool.

To me it seems as though here Maynard is degrading humanity for positing the individual "will" as the meaning of life. Well, i personally think that with our current mental capacities, humans cannot come to an understanding of any higher/all pervasive meaning to life. If you ask someone to rationalise their beliefs down and down the chain of thinking, they will reach a point where they can go no further, and thus revert into their own subjective 'truth' about the ultimate nature (if there is one) of 'reality' and thus about why they choose to do one thing over the other (and why, perhaps, other people should do the same). Thus the individual will becomes the only shared "objective" bench mark for life, as we can grasp no other yet. I guess this means that our current rationality can only really be used to illustrate the limits of itself (in coming to grips with anything bigger than us)! Now, at this point some people may surcum to fatalism and throw in the towel and declare life meaningless, or the more desperate and perhaps creative individuals might embrace this lack of inherent meaning, and (even in the light of not being able to grasp a higher meaning) work with what they have to live well. People have different takes on life obviously, because if there existed objectivity, this would not be the case. It is these differences that possibly provide some glimpse of hope (in my subjective opinion) for attaining some sense of greater meaning. Even though our minds are too primite to comprehend the "all" at the moment and thus point to any clear direction in life (like i said, i think people's values cannot be proven objectively, and thus cannot give a fundamental "should" reason to others. Even something as fundamental as "don't kill" cannot be rationalised down to some all binding reason to obey - im talking beyond subjective human laws here obviously), i think our current rational abilities might be a step in the right direction, if YOU will. Let me explain. Evolution works through differences, random hypotheses. Genetic mutations occur all the time in organisms, and if such a mutation helps it to better adapt to its environment, that organism will rule. now, perhaps we as a species have risen to rule our natural environment for a time because our rational knowledge has given us the tool to adapt to 'reality' better than other animals. But at the moment, our rational knowledge cannot posit anything more objective in life than will (will to greed, will to cooperation if you want, but still nothing has been found to indicidate what we "should" do, which is different to "could" do). So maybe it becomes evident that our current state of affairs (the will, our current rational abilities) is simply a step in the right direction to attain more meaning out there.

I could understand why Maynard might think we as a species can do more if we cooperate, but I just can't understand why Maynard would employ semetic (christain, jewish...) symbolism to express this. To me it might be as though he is using such symbolism to say why we SHOULD not be the monkeys. Such symbolism is taken from very dogmatic and absolute ideoligies, and absolutism is not something we should accept in my opinion as, like i said, the only thing our current rationality can 'objectively' do in the deep scheme of things (atm), the only current absolute we can really accept, to be a bit paradoxical, is to point out the errors in abolsutist viewpoints (such as those religious ones) which all compete for our allegiance...

what are people's thoughts?

fulmination
05-10-2006, 03:42 AM
I think you've explored these issues nicely. The "My Views on this song" thread is developing along similar lines: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=44458

ThaMain1
05-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I believe the reason Maynard would choose to use the semetic (christain, jewish...) symbolism to express this is directly related to the objective reality he has existed in with relation to his devout Christian mother and his obvious internal conflict over her painful debilitating anuerisym condition she endured for 10000 days (about 27 years), so from his time as a child of only 11, until her death in 03 and her undaunted love of the Judeao Christian God who, as Maynard expressed thru APC's Mur de Nomes track "Judith", he blamed for his Mother's condition in life. He states it clearly in the lyrics to "Judith"
You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be
Oh so many ways for me to show you
How the savior has abandoned you
Fuck your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you
He did it all for you

Oh so many many ways for me to show you
How your dogma has abandoned you
Pray to your Christ, to your god
Never taste of the fruit
Never stray, never break
Never---choke on a lie
Even though he's the one who did this to you
You never thought to question why

Not like you killed someone
It's Not like you drove a spiteful spear into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
As if he knows the reasons why
He did it all for you
Did it all for you
He did it all for you..

His Mother's name was Judith Marie Garrison. His love for her and hope that she would obtain such a Heaven, if one does exist, is obviously expressed in Wings 1 and 2, a song(s) that literally brought tears to my eyes when I listened to it with the thought of it being a message to his mother and his admiration for her percervierance thru what must of been a life of extreme bouts of pain and loss of movement but forever the Believer that she remained. I believe he truely loved his Mother and could never truely come to grip with her not blaming the obvious choice for one's lot in life, the Judeao Christian God. I believe it does not reflect his personal beliefs though.

sidereal
05-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the insight on that. But it still begs the question for me, if he hates the hypocracy surrounding christianity so much, why then would he use the symbolism of it to his advantage (to prove a point) in other areas of his art (i.e. topics other than those surrounding his mother)?

Agenda
05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks for the insight. But it still begs the question, if he hates the hypocracy surrounding christianity, why choose to keep associating your art with it?

What do you mean? Alot of Tool (and other great art) has conflict and questions deeply imbedded in it. Conflict is the one main reasons to right music and poetry. All great stories have conflict.

Jughead
05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the insight on that. But it still begs the question for me, if he hates the hypocracy surrounding christianity so much, why then would he use the symbolism of it to his advantage (to prove a point) in other areas of his art (i.e. topics other than those surrounding his mother)?
That is a good question. Amazingly enough, I don't claim to be lyric expert either. One answer could be that you don't have to believe or like something in order to be fascinated with it. That would be the most simple answer but probably not the correct one.

Gen 6:6
05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Whether or not you agree with Christianity or believe in the Bible, you would have to be blind to ignore its poetic nature.

SagEarthDragon
05-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Human will is not wrong. I think Maynard is just saying (with just a little bit of religious icons to get the message across) is that "We have a gift, but we abuse it to create tormoil. So what good is it then?"

layersbeyondimagination
05-10-2006, 04:54 PM
My sister and I had a conversation about the song 10,000 Days where i explained to her what it was about as she had not heard it and we sort of went into Judith and MJK's views on Christianity.

It's pretty much common knowledge that MJK has a problem with the hypocricy and middlemen in Christianity. I'm a very devout Christian and I do too. Maynard is one of those few very intellectual people that don't just say "Fuck Christanity", but he tries to explore it and understand and rationalize it. this is obviously much better than the ignorant people out there who don't believe for no real apparent reason. The problem with Maynard lies in the fac tthat he tries to rationalize it because although on a social level this is respectable, in terms of Chrsitanity and religion, this isn't right; Religion is based on FAITH and not logic and rationalization. To many, this udnerstandably is crazy, but if all religion could be rationalized, there really isn't much use for it.

I wish I could articulate this better and I know its sort of a tangent from the actual thread but I felt like throwing this in there.

Gen 6:6
05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Sidereal:
Because of the envious nature of men, it has always been no less dangerous to discover new methods and institutions than to explore unknown oceans and lands, since men are quicker to criticize than to praise the deeds of others.
--Niccolò Machiavelli
Discorsi sopra la prima deca di Tito Livio, Book I

sidereal
05-11-2006, 12:21 AM
The problem with Maynard lies in the fac tthat he tries to rationalize it because although on a social level this is respectable, in terms of Chrsitanity and religion, this isn't right; Religion is based on FAITH and not logic and rationalization. To many, this udnerstandably is crazy, but if all religion could be rationalized, there really isn't much use for it.

I wish I could articulate this better and I know its sort of a tangent from the actual thread but I felt like throwing this in there.

Im pretty sure i understand you. Your very right; if our rationality could objectively grasp life, different religions based on faith would not exist. We are not able to grasp any all pervasive meaning using logic or rationality at the present time (maybe we never will), therefore the need for spirituality arises. We all live by placing value somewhere (even in the fact their may exist "no value" in the case of some people), and if we don't then we are walking shells with no reason to do anything. At the current time, maybe forever and maybe not, spirituality is philosophy are not completely seperate by any means.

I hope i have mirrored your thoughts here....I just personally think that our rationality, as it is, is the thing to put our (paradoxically) 'faith' in because it is evident that it could be a step in the right direction to me. Through its use we have gained the ability to map and predict the elaborate movements of the stars, the mechanism (IMO) by which our species has come to reign, the amazing order of life which sustains us and other creates on this planet...etc etc....so if, through logic, our minds have been able grasp and test so many aspects of the physical fabric of the cosmos, to me this could be an indication we are moving in the right direction. (Not talking about society here, only our 'bare' knowldge). Its interesting though that the big picture sciences are apparently turning quite mystical as they progress, due to the inexplicable randomness of quantumn mechanics and such (for instance the behaviour of the universe on a microscopic level baffles physicsts atm).

I bid people to play track four from Lateralus again, in isolation and at night, while contemplating the abolsute mystery we find ourselves in.