PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Death Rattle...

mulhollanddriven
05-09-2006, 03:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_rattle

Might shed some light on the meaning of the song..."Sing to the death rattle.." when viewed in the context of the Iraq War is a pretty vicious condemnation of certain Americans, I would have to say.

Wonko The Sane
05-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Interesting. Thanks.

Bakeup
05-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the link

K In Yo Mouf
05-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Thankz 4 the Info...

Didn't Really Know Exactly Wat Maynard Waz Referring 2 With the Death Rattle, But Now I Get It…

MisterMudd
05-10-2006, 07:04 AM
This is also known as "Agonal Respirations", or the body's last effort to breathe.

Koan
05-12-2006, 07:29 AM
And we sing to it, we enjoy it, we feed on it. We like to be moved by pain, from the safety and comfort of our safe lives. Drama on T.V. is the death rattle, and in an even more ironic sense, this song is a death rattle too.

Seoman
05-12-2006, 07:53 AM
And we sing to it, we enjoy it, we feed on it. We like to be moved by pain, from the safety and comfort of our safe lives. Drama on T.V. is the death rattle, and in an even more ironic sense, this song is a death rattle too.

But what do you exactly mean with, that "Vicarious" is a death-rattle itself? Is it that this song is about the tragedy mankind faces that we "all have to admit", as Maynard sings, that we "feed on tragedy" and can't change anything about it ("so it is, so it's always been")?

That would be kind of a hopeless statement.

I'd like the idea of Maynard expressing that we can do something about it as he does in AEnima as well: "Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines!" And if it is at least that we face this cruel weakness, that we are aware of it and try to think more about everything that we get presented. Not to forget that Maynard sings "So it is, so it's always been" but not "so it'll always be"!

And by the way, thanks for the information ... it's always nice to get something more out of a Tool-Song.

Koan
05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
I meant that we too enjoy this agressive, frustrated musical piece because it taps into our emotions, just like the T.V. junkies in the songs are doing. We sing along to this song while we grasp it, which adds another level of irony. Maynard is just brilliant.

HallsOfMandos
05-14-2006, 04:32 PM
I thought the line was '...synched to the death rattle'

I know, I nitpick...sorry

tbrent21
05-14-2006, 05:26 PM
But what do you exactly mean with, that "Vicarious" is a death-rattle itself? Is it that this song is about the tragedy mankind faces that we "all have to admit", as Maynard sings, that we "feed on tragedy" and can't change anything about it ("so it is, so it's always been")?

That would be kind of a hopeless statement.

I'd like the idea of Maynard expressing that we can do something about it as he does in AEnima as well: "Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines!" And if it is at least that we face this cruel weakness, that we are aware of it and try to think more about everything that we get presented. Not to forget that Maynard sings "So it is, so it's always been" but not "so it'll always be"!

Seoman, I like the tie to AEnima here and that line in particular. I think its becoming more and more appropriate and necessary to cross-reference these works in order to fully understand them. I agree completely that Tool is all about hope even in the face of being entirely disgust(ipat)ed by all the lying/cheating/stealing, abuse, and judgmental finger-pointing that we see in the world (just to name a few favorite Tool targets). You are right, Tool reminds us that we can say 'fuck all these hypocrites and junkies and wanna-be's' and condemn the two-faced who say they are sympathetic (frown) out of one face but with the other enjoy watching others suffer from a safe distance. But seeing these problems, that doesn't make us pessimistic. We search for something better. "Spiral out, keep going." 'Nuff said.

khemystri
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Ive heard of a "death rattle"... cant remember where i learned it.... (shit my bed again)

MisterMudd
05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Seoman, I like the tie to AEnima here and that line in particular. I think its becoming more and more appropriate and necessary to cross-reference these works in order to fully understand them. I agree completely that Tool is all about hope even in the face of being entirely disgust(ipat)ed by all the lying/cheating/stealing, abuse, and judgmental finger-pointing that we see in the world (just to name a few favorite Tool targets). You are right, Tool reminds us that we can say 'fuck all these hypocrites and junkies and wanna-be's' and condemn the two-faced who say they are sympathetic (frown) out of one face but with the other enjoy watching others suffer from a safe distance. But seeing these problems, that doesn't make us pessimistic. We search for something better. "Spiral out, keep going." 'Nuff said.

I personally believe that it is more of a "You think it is a bad horrible hting, but if everyone is the same, this is the norm. Thus, it is not really horrible".

Koan
05-15-2006, 02:14 AM
The most fascinating point about Tool's lyrics is that they too often point the finger. And that they realise this. We can all criticize all we want about society, social rules, mankind and personal growth, but in the end we are bricks in the wall of this system, just like the rest. I really get a feeling they realise this, which brings the great paradox in their work. a good example is Hooker With A Penis. Pointing the finger at a kid because he is pointing the finger. Being a hypocrite by calling him one. This self-reflection is what I find most brilliant about their work.

tbrent21
05-15-2006, 03:13 AM
You guys are right on. Koan -- as they said in "Intolerance" . . . "I am not innocent, no one is innocent." And MisterMudd, your reading of "Vicarious" is totally backed by the lyrics which say, "don't look at me like I'm a monster" and "why don't we just admit it?" I.e., we're all this way and its (if unfortunately) natural behavior in a way.

MisterMudd
05-15-2006, 05:42 PM
You guys are right on. Koan -- as they said in "Intolerance" . . . "I am not innocent, no one is innocent." And MisterMudd, your reading of "Vicarious" is totally backed by the lyrics which say, "don't look at me like I'm a monster" and "why don't we just admit it?" I.e., we're all this way and its (if unfortunately) natural behavior in a way.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was expecting to be flamed.

MisterMudd
05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Another thought...

Think of it as our desire to watch scary movies. People not only enjoy the gore, but we enjoy the feeling of being scared. It is an unpleasant feeling to be afraid, but we as humans thrive on experiencing our emotions.

I like to compare this observation to "Stinkfist":

We are so desensitized that we have to feel the extreme of all of our different emotions. But that is just how I felt hearing this song.

"What does this have to do with the death rattle?" you ask.

I have heard this sound many many times in my short time on this earth, and even when you don't know the title for it, or you don't know the physiology, it is one of the most bone chilling sounds that I have ever heard. Anymore when I hear it I am not so disturbed, but after reflection the sound gets stuck in my head like a bad song, it just disturbs you to know you have witnessed a "Dying Breath". And now that you know the sound has such an effect, I bet you are just dying to hear it (no pun intended.

blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 05:52 PM
The most fascinating point about Tool's lyrics is that they too often point the finger. And that they realise this. We can all criticize all we want about society, social rules, mankind and personal growth, but in the end we are bricks in the wall of this system, just like the rest. I really get a feeling they realise this, which brings the great paradox in their work. a good example is Hooker With A Penis. Pointing the finger at a kid because he is pointing the finger. Being a hypocrite by calling him one. This self-reflection is what I find most brilliant about their work.

Right on. Not many bands have the balls to criticize themselves about such a thing.

MisterMudd
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Right on. Not many bands have the balls to criticize themselves about such a thing.

More often than not I find that the lyrics to many Tool songs are really self anylitical. Self assessment is usually the best way to learn about the world around you.