PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody feel like the artwork is being over-analyzed?

Neel
05-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Ever since the official page posted something about a puzzle, everybody seems to try to get some story out of the artwork. Is that what everybody thinks a puzzle is?

It doesn't seem like they have hidden a story in the arwork, because that's something that could never really be "solved". I'm sure there is something more simple than that.

Anybody agree with me?

deviever
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Ever since the official page posted something about a puzzle, everybody seems to try to get some story out of the artwork. Is that what everybody thinks a puzzle is?

It doesn't seem like they have hidden a story in the arwork, because that's something that could never really be "solved". I'm sure there is something more simple than that.

Anybody agree with me?

+1

herarety
05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Welcome to Tool.

hbynoe
05-09-2006, 02:06 PM
yeah man
everything about tool is over analyzed they have gained such a cult following becasue
of all the mystery, hidden means, puzzles etc
i think it is beautiful esp when the fans think they have figured out something
especially since it is art
and all so subjective :)

Elepherious
05-09-2006, 04:11 PM
yeah man
everything about tool is over analyzed they have gained such a cult following becasue
of all the mystery, hidden means, puzzles etc

there some satisfaction in being able to revel in ones own 'intelligence' huh?

finding that secret meaning, or figuring out what that puzzle is first, its all a big game it seems, i've always wondered if TooL's just putting these people on :P

at a concert once, i watched, as maynard said he had lost a contact, and asked if we could look for it. i was absolutly astonished at all the heads that fell to the floor.

Grimgrumthegnome
05-09-2006, 05:04 PM

Anybody agree with me?

thank you very much for saying this... perhaps since you are in agreement with me here you may also agree with my theory as to what the "puzzle" is... i'm not gonna elaborate too much on this thread because i get tired of typing the same thing, but my belief is the entire "puzzle" can be summed up as "two becoming one" (i have received many complaints about this being the answer, mostly because people think this answer is too "simple" ...but i believe those people are merely simple minded, because the concept behind two spirits finding peace with each other and with their surroundings, and thusly unifying successfully, is far from a "simple" one)

my original theory (only involving the artwork) can be found on the following thread, but if you read the beginning please take the time to read my other posts as well because my theory has changed slightly since the first post;

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46514

also, i created a brief interpretation which ties the lyrics to the artwork; ok, so it may not appear brief at first, but i had to take account for each song individually, so even just a sentence or two for each one will result in a lengthy explanation, but i think you will find my explanations to be rather clear and easy to read... something many of these interpretations are not;

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46897

Neel
05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Im not going to try to stop you from having an idea like that, but you're kind of missing my point. I was just saying that most of the people are not coming up with actual solutions to any kind of puzzle, they are coming up with interpretations of the artwork. These are not actually any kind of solution at all, but they are a commentary on what the artwork could possibly mean. As such, no interpretation is more right than any other one, which kind of rules out the idea of them being a solution to a puzzle.

If Blair meant that there was a puzzle in the traditional sense, I think that we will know when we see the answer. It will be unrefutable, because the parts of it will simply add up in a way that makes sense and does not add to or detract from any of these artwork interpretations.

Its like blair saying that there is a math problem hidden in the cd, and everybody thinks that their essay is the answer. The two messages just don't match.

Grimgrumthegnome
05-09-2006, 05:33 PM
but blair did not say it was a traditional puzzle. in fact, he followed the word puzzle with a '?' in the title of his post, and his exact wording was "Yes, it is true that the four individual photos (of the band members) can be used as the pieces of a 'kind of' puzzle"

key words in his statement are "kind of" ...i believe, by the wording, that what we're looking for is indeed an interpretation, and i believe the only reason he used the word "puzzle" is because he needed to emphasize that our interpretation should stem from the four pictures together, rather than individually

upandatthem
05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
i think it's definitely over analysed, but like someone above said, welcome to tool

charliehodge
05-09-2006, 11:13 PM
exactly welcome to Tool, but that has to change for the better soon because these reallly freaky fans are bumming me out.

"Get that guy out of here, the guy by the dip he's bumming everybody out"

Bill Hicks- 1961-1994

deviever
05-09-2006, 11:19 PM
thank you very much for saying this... perhaps since you are in agreement with me here you may also agree with my theory as to what the "puzzle" is... i'm not gonna elaborate too much on this thread because i get tired of typing the same thing, but my belief is the entire "puzzle" can be summed up as "two becoming one" (i have received many complaints about this being the answer, mostly because people think this answer is too "simple" ...but i believe those people are merely simple minded, because the concept behind two spirits finding peace with each other and with their surroundings, and thusly unifying successfully, is far from a "simple" one)

my original theory (only involving the artwork) can be found on the following thread, but if you read the beginning please take the time to read my other posts as well because my theory has changed slightly since the first post;

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46514

also, i created a brief interpretation which ties the lyrics to the artwork; ok, so it may not appear brief at first, but i had to take account for each song individually, so even just a sentence or two for each one will result in a lengthy explanation, but i think you will find my explanations to be rather clear and easy to read... something many of these interpretations are not;

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46897

Based on your idea of what would consitute an answer to the "puzzle", you could just as easily and plainly say the solution is "life and death" because there is imagery peppered through out invovling.... well... life and death.

devi-

phaedrus9779
05-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Perhaps a more important question is: does anyone feel that the artwork (pics and lyrics) are being under-utilized? Sure...comments and signatures all over boldly claim "fuck L Ron Hubbard!" or "prying open my third eye" or comment on how the art of Alex Gray is about transcendance, but how many "OGT's" try to find their third eye, or try to bring down injustices of Scientology. More generally, just evolve themselves and use the music and art as a "Tool" to making themselves and everything better. I think it has been said before on a thread here that some if not most fans have made a Christ out of Maynard when the whole points that have been expressed by the band aren't taken to heart.

Analyzing the art is great, but interpreting is the most important...MJK said it himself, its in the document upon entry of this very forum.

Just to note, there are plenty of fans that are deft at seeing the bigger picture. I dont mean that they "get" Tool or are better than fans who don't use Tool in the same manner, its just a use of personal interpretation and application that should be utilized in any and all situations as a means to grow and progress ones self.

willybean69
05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Re: puzzle?
I think we are over anaylizing the artwork. It's not a puzzle, maybe a puzzle piece to the bands life, inspirations, and goals.

read the revolver article

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital...7594120513725/

we can zoom pictures up, hard to find, but figure it out

chalk_line
05-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Im just glad theres a band like tool who can use creative, innovative, and unique artwork on their albums, it may be overanalyzed, but im just glad we have sumthing cool to analyze and look at, have you people seen the artwork for the new RHCP album?
its super lame, (and the music isn't much better).

teleincision
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
haasent this question been asked for like almost exactly 10,000 times?!?!?!
hmmm... i smell conspiricy...

gamegod195
05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
i was counting candles in justins pic when i realized it was probably alot more simple than that....

then, about two hours later, i abandoned the "quest for the puzzle" completely.

i like tool, but i have better things to do with my time than try to figure out a puzzle in the artwork.

plus, its the music that i really care about. the artwork is cool, but the music cannot be surpassed in greatness

chaos_one666
05-11-2006, 08:28 PM
i totally agree. i think the artwork contains a lot of symbolism and is obviously meant to be interpreted, but i'm not so sure i believe there's one all-encompassing key to the supposed riddle. i love to find meaning within art and music, but my interpretations aren't the same as the next guy's, and vice-versa. to me, that's what makes good art and music.

but i suppose tomorrow someone will solve the "puzzle," and i'll be proven a fool.

zol
05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
It depends what you want to get out of it (and how much spare time you have).

I love reading people's theories on the 'puzzle' and when someone finally figures it all out I'll probably just go: 'Cool. And now back to the music.'

It's probably all just a ploy by the band to connect people. So all us people in forums have got something to talk about.

JOK3R
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
the puzzle will never be solved. even if someone comes up with the best theory and everyone agrees on it. there is no telling if that was really the solution to the so called "puzzle?"

quasiperiodica
05-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Anybody agree with me?

I don't even bother over-analyzing it. It is what it is. It's Tool, it's art. And I think if you asked them what it all meant they wouldn't have any better answers than we do, because asking an artist about his art is like asking a plant about photosynthesis.

zol
05-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Plants can't talk.

art
05-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Its kinda nauseating reading all these theories. Its really hilarious reading what everyone has to say. I got got sucked in last time with lateralus and i'm not going anywhere near it this time. Tool are dangerous. You waste your time and your brain space trying relentlessly to find deeper meaning in the album that will do nothing except eventually grant you the realisation that you are infatuated with tool.