PDA

View Full Version : about Kurt Cobain

XyuTe
05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Taken from the '11 Reasons Why Eulogy Cannot Be About Jesus or L. Ron Hubbard' thread :

Didn't Maynard claim this song was about Kurt Cobain?

Fuck, I didn't even know that he'd said that and I thought it was about Kurt. That's why I came in here, to check if anyone had mentioned him. I had no idea that the person who mentioned him would be Maynard himself. Remember that it was only one year after his death, and that the lyrics can fit with this a lot. I think I'll stick with this idea now after reading that Maynard even said it himself.

Why did I think it was about Kurt?

So long.
We wish you well.

But at least you tried.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.

So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

I was a huge Nirvana fan for a while aswell, and I just connected to the song in this way when I heard the lyrics.

Maynard may have claimed that, but it's 99 percent likely he was joking.

I don't think it's anywhere near 99% unlikely, why do you think that? Surely Maynard had a lot of respect for the guy, and him going out like that must have surely had an impact on him.

Anyone have anything to add?

tbrent21
05-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I've been advocating in the other threads here that the person that "Eulogy" is addressed to is alive, and for that reason would rule out Cobain. The Cobain interpretation only fits with a select few of the lyrics, which have been mentioned by the author of this thread; but there's little connection that can be made with the rest of the lyrics, which says alot. And there are plenty of clues that the person the song is addressed to is alive: i.e., "we wish you well", "don't cry or feel too down", "why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy."

JOK3R
05-09-2006, 08:59 PM
i dont think it is about kurt at all. if maynard did say it he was definitely joking. he wouldnt say it if it was really about him.

XyuTe
05-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Ah ok, thanks for the responses anyway.

WTFmate
05-10-2006, 05:12 PM
That would be so awesome if it was about Kurt. Even though the chances of that are slim to none, I am a huge Nirvana fan.

Disco
05-11-2006, 07:18 AM
I still think it could be about someone who was dead. MJK simply believes the dead can hear and feel, that there is some sort of afterlife.

justify_denials
05-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I still think it could be about someone who was dead. MJK simply believes the dead can hear and feel, that there is some sort of afterlife.

Sure, but remember, in the song its someone who is:

"Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,"

But the way he sings that part its as if he is saying:

"Eager to identify with.

moneyisevil
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
"this song is about martyrs" - MJK

nough said, its got no direct person as the subject, just talken bout martyrs

justify_denials
05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Check this out!:

"Our music multi-layered" - TOOL

What do you think?

I say to MJK it is about Martyr but to someone else it can be about what they interpret.

JOK3R
05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Check this out!:

"Our music multi-layered" - TOOL

What do you think?

I say to MJK it is about Martyr but to someone else it can be about what they interpret.

have to agree with you. you can interpret it any way you want. right or wrong doesn't matter.

snakeeyedhawk
05-12-2006, 06:59 AM
I think the song applies moreso to false martyrs in general.

carlylecastle
05-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Take it however you want. Its music you injest, feed your mind and use it to think for yourself. If you think its about Kurt Cobain, let it be.

justify_denials
05-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Take it however you want. Its music you injest, feed your mind and use it to think for yourself. If you think its about Kurt Cobain, let it be.
THere were actually quite alot of people who killed themselves because Kurt Cobain commited suicide.....it is true. That being said, Kurt Cobain coul'nt be a martyr then? Sure, a fool he was.

Inner_Eulogy
05-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Sure, but remember, in the song its someone who is:

"Eager to identify with

But the way he sings that part its as if he is saying:

"Eager to identify with.

Maynard was speaking in 1st person that HE was eager to identify with someone above the ground.

OGT from back in the day
05-14-2006, 07:26 PM
yes it is definately just how u interpret it,martyrs in general

tbrent21
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
yes it is definately just how u interpret it,martyrs in general

Right. And "Vicarious" is about TV in general, "Third Eye" is about drugs in general, and I suppose what, "Lateralus" is about spirals in general.

Boy we're really getting somewhere now!

DogmaTriple6
06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I believe that this song is about Kurt as crazy as it may seem after reading all your post and knowing not only the song but how Maynard is that no one will truly know what the song is about... Some of you brought up the fact that it's about Martyrs But I really feel that it is about Kurt, after all Kurt did kill himself as the police reports go. And we all know how His and Cortney Love's relationship was on him. And the definition of MARTYR is

Martyr:
1.A person who chooses to suffer death rather than to renounce his or her religion.
2.A person who endures great suffering on behalf of any principle or cause.
3.A person who undergoes severe suffering.
4.To make a martyr of.
5.To torment or torture.

After you look at that you can see that martyr and Kurt do go together as well as those lyrics:

So long.
We wish you well.

But at least you tried.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.

So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

It's not hard to believe that he had an effect on Maynard as an artist and the key lyrics in that set of lyrics is "But at least you tried" I feel that Kurt was looked on and a king of a whole new era of music coming into the 90's when music like that was looked down on and shund for it's whole over all apperance. Hmmm I dunno I'm done filling your minds with my usless knowledge.

wearethestories
06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Martyr:
1.A person who chooses to suffer death rather than to renounce his or her religion.
2.A person who endures great suffering on behalf of any principle or cause.
3.A person who undergoes severe suffering.
4.To make a martyr of.
5.To torment or torture
Greek: martyr=witness

Just to mess with everyone's heads... the original Greek word "martyr" meant simply "one who sees" or "witness". The reason that we have the above definition is because of people who died for the Christian faith (and YES, it's Christians and not Muslims/Jews/etc., Christians were the ones who wrote/spoke Greek... hello ENTIRE New Testament).

Fallacy/Facade
06-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Well said, i agree totally. Tool are like an onion (Shrek) layers. Isn't that why we love them SOOOOOO.

wilekit
06-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Well said, i agree totally. Tool are like an onion (Shrek) layers. Isn't that why we love them SOOOOOO.
love the shrek analogy, i agree totally that tool are like that i also like comparing their songs to a tarantino film, as in they tend to go off in tangents but always return to the beginging somehow!! i always thought that eulogy was about bill hicks, having not had time to read all of the forum im unaware if this has been discussed, if so someone point me in the right directinon so i can check out whats been said xx

wilekit
06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
apologies has just read more so about the bill hicks thing so scrap last comment

peter14
06-17-2006, 07:54 AM
well..
it might be true... i read something about that on a kerrang!
but i'm quiet sure that it may be about anyone else
why not jfk??????

AMF
07-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't agree with this theory, but for some reason I always hear "Eager to identify with someone above the CROWD", not "ground".

Aishwarya
07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't agree with this theory, but for some reason I always hear "Eager to identify with someone above the CROWD", not "ground".
yeahhh, I agree there's "crowd" not "ground" but it's pronunced in a quite neglected way....I believed-on purpose to make the whole text more ambigious."someone above the crowd/ground" meaning untypical, outstanding....geeeee....

AMF
07-15-2006, 09:45 PM
yeahhh, I agree there's "crowd" not "ground" but it's pronunced in a quite neglected way....I believed-on purpose to make the whole text more ambigious."someone above the crowd/ground" meaning untypical, outstanding....geeeee....

Just like "sip/sniff" in Hooker With A Penis.

Rosenbarger13
08-08-2006, 08:05 PM
"we wish you well", "don't cry or feel too down", "why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy."[/QUOTE]

You know, these all could also support Kurt Cobain...

1. We wish you well in the after life

2. Kurt was Known to be constatly depressed ("I hate myslef and I want to die")

3. His Eulogy came from courtney, he killed himself, or he hated fame and wouldn't have wanted his eulogy to be heard by millions.

Really, we won't ever know for sure who, if anyone, this song is about, so this si as good a GUESS as any.

Track 01
08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Fuck no, thats bullshit only because Im a huge nirvana fan

Rosenbarger13
08-22-2006, 05:28 AM
Fuck no, thats bullshit only because Im a huge nirvana fan

are you saying what I said was bullshit or that I can't be wrong, or were you commenting on someone elses?

IcaLynn
08-25-2006, 08:27 AM
cocain+gun=hero

kinda wish cobain was still alive just so people would stop worshiping him. he sucked bad as an artist and the fact that he commited suicide made him suck as a person. if he were alive, he would have lost the respect that he gained on wrong terms. his songs were pointless and repetitive and his voice was raspy like he had just eaten paper. Nivana was highly overrated and because of his death, its gotten even worse. it sickens me that someone could worship such a self righteous slug.
cobain was a dick, he married a bitch who may have killed him, but either way, he was a horrible musician and it drives me crazy that he got more air time than tool.

Chronicle0
09-14-2006, 06:13 PM
cocain+gun=hero

kinda wish cobain was still alive just so people would stop worshiping him. he sucked bad as an artist and the fact that he commited suicide made him suck as a person. if he were alive, he would have lost the respect that he gained on wrong terms. his songs were pointless and repetitive and his voice was raspy like he had just eaten paper. Nivana was highly overrated and because of his death, its gotten even worse. it sickens me that someone could worship such a self righteous slug.
cobain was a dick, he married a bitch who may have killed him, but either way, he was a horrible musician and it drives me crazy that he got more air time than tool.

That was just plain wrong. First off, he wasn't a bad musician. If he shot himself or not, it doesn't really matter how you go, it's how you lived. He did a lot of hard work and cared about his daughter, even though it was a demon-spawn from that ritchid whore Love.

It was just 90's rock. It was simple music. If you look at Tool, their songs in the early 90's was very simple unlike their work today. Times change, and i believe it was actually good that Nirvana died-- imagine what they would be today? I don't even wanna think about it. (Look at U2.)

IcaLynn
09-18-2006, 08:47 AM
That was just plain wrong. First off, he wasn't a bad musician. If he shot himself or not, it doesn't really matter how you go, it's how you lived. He did a lot of hard work and cared about his daughter, even though it was a demon-spawn from that ritchid whore Love.

It was just 90's rock. It was simple music. If you look at Tool, their songs in the early 90's was very simple unlike their work today. Times change, and i believe it was actually good that Nirvana died-- imagine what they would be today? I don't even wanna think about it. (Look at U2.)

i stand by what i said. nirvana was nothing special. there were a bit to simple for me. even the older tool stuff sucked, but not all 90s music was bad. soundgarden, bush and temple of the dog were worthy.

Pagoda
09-24-2006, 04:15 AM
cocain+gun=hero

It's a little ironic that after this post you'd call anyone "self righteous." Staggeringly ironic.

iAMtheMA!
09-24-2006, 08:35 PM
tool's work was complex from the beginning, man - try it, those pieces fit in perfect/100% to what they just released not too long ago.

(taken nearly word for word from a bill hicks routine, mind you):

hello, kurt.

says here on your application you have no talent, and yet...
you want to be a star. ...i think something can be arranged.

(satan unzips whatever he has) - SUCK SATAN'S COCK!

[the end]

Pagoda
09-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Funny considering if you've read "American Scream", Bill Hicks was an admitted Nirvana fan.

Phorty
09-26-2006, 07:19 AM
for the kurt theory to hold you would first have to explain how kurt was a martyr in any sense of the word.

which in my opinion , is impossible since the man commited suicide out of depression.

iAMtheMA!
09-26-2006, 07:31 AM
thank you! (didn't think it needed to be said, but yeah)

individualthoughtpatterns
10-03-2006, 06:39 PM
i stand by what i said. nirvana was nothing special. there were a bit to simple for me. even the older tool stuff sucked, but not all 90s music was bad. soundgarden, bush and temple of the dog were worthy.

nirvana was "too simple" for you and bush isnt?
talent isn't even about musical chops and complexity, its about communication and expression. I can't believe that has to be spelled out for people

jdstrube
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM

You took the words out of my mouth. Very smart man.

foglio
10-16-2006, 10:09 PM
First, the idea that Kurt commited suicide is still in question, ass far as I'm concerned. Second, I strongly believe that people underestimate kurt's and Maynard's deep-rooted connections through the Melvins. Eulogy, in my mind, reflects that relationship very well.
---Fogman

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
First, the idea that Kurt commited suicide is still in question, ass far as I'm concerned. Second, I strongly believe that people underestimate kurt's and Maynard's deep-rooted connections through the Melvins. Eulogy, in my mind, reflects that relationship very well.
---Fogman

Yeah, it makes total sense, considering why Cobain died. But I doubt he ever wanted to "save" anyone, so I don't see where it could be applied when looking at the lyrics.