PDA

View Full Version : Throwing myself into the fire here...

yac03
05-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I could get flamed hard for this...but...after a week of listening to this record non-stop, and really, falling in love with the whole thing, Vicarious is starting to emerge as my favorite song on the record.

neuropathy
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I can see how it could be a favorite. It's an unbelievable song. And could it be dependent on the mood you're in at a particular time/place? In my own experiences with the band that's been the case.

ID-entity
05-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, it is a bad ass song! It was my favorite, now The Pot is mine...but that changes about every week or so. There is too much to get into on this album.

Red Senate
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
It's understandable, seeing as how it's a very good song. I've found myself listeningn to it several times over, but since release I've found myself listening to "Right in Two" quite a bit.

It's all in how you feel at the time.

Drums762
05-10-2006, 06:24 PM
It has become my favorite as well due to the fact I already agree with the lyrical
content. The state of the world today is pretty messed up. While other Tool Albums pretty much got angry and pissed off with expression. 10,000 days say's (to me) Wake up and realize what we are doing here. From Vicarious to Right in Two the album follows this realization. The human race as a whole is a virus that will be the downfall of itself. We are a cannibalistic society. Feeding on the misery of others. But we are also Cowards so we feed Vicariously through others. Then
we breed and spread our misguided ways in two... and those divide in two...and those divide in two...and those divide in two...and those divide in two... Virus.

SonOF
05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
No flame for you...Vicarious is a great track. I think it is better than last album's single (Schism; I know I am the only one in the universe that thinks that song is a little dull).

Right in Two, Jambi and The Pot are doing it for me at the moment.

obwah
05-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I can see how it could be a favorite. It's an unbelievable song. And could it be dependent on the mood you're in at a particular time/place? In my own experiences with the band that's been the case.

And even more so with this album...

JOK3R
05-11-2006, 12:31 AM
i can see how this song can be your favorite. i love this song at first listen. i had it on repeat until the album came out. now my favorite song on the album keeps changing so i just keep the whole thing on repeat.

Opiate_Mass
05-11-2006, 01:42 AM
It has become my favorite as well due to the fact I already agree with the lyrical
content. The state of the world today is pretty messed up. While other Tool Albums pretty much got angry and pissed off with expression. 10,000 days say's (to me) Wake up and realize what we are doing here. From Vicarious to Right in Two the album follows this realization. The human race as a whole is a virus that will be the downfall of itself. We are a cannibalistic society. Feeding on the misery of others. But we are also Cowards so we feed Vicariously through others. Then
we breed and spread our misguided ways in two... and those divide in two...and those divide in two...and those divide in two...and those divide in two... Virus.
fuck, that's so spot on it's scary........

and SonOf.........
schism starts off slow, but it quickly gains momentum

Vicarious be quite good, but my fave atm is right in two.
Fucking loooooooooove the tabla work

Her Ghost
05-11-2006, 01:49 AM
I went from Vicarious to The Pot to Jambi to Rosetta Stoned and am currently with Right In Two.

The only song I don't "get" right now is Intension

Koan
05-11-2006, 08:14 AM
I agree with you. Vicarious is such an intense song, both musically and lyricly. It's really confronting to listen to it, because we humans don't like to hear the facts of our demise and would rather look away. The final chorus is probably my favourite moment on the whole record! I really enjoy Maynard's singing on this album, especially Vicarious.

But on a side note, Vicarious just wins by an inch, closely followed by The Pot and Rosetta Stoned.

Chrispix
05-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I could get flamed hard for this...but...after a week of listening to this record non-stop, and really, falling in love with the whole thing, Vicarious is starting to emerge as my favorite song on the record.
Isn't it funny that this is such a place that people are wary of flaming just because they cite a favourite track...

We're all about unity and personal freedom, we Tool fans.

rogerdoger
05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I think my favorite is 10,000 days. That's still hard to say though. I like just about the whole album almost equally...

NewOrleans
05-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Is it me or is anyone dissapointed that in 5 years, we only get 6 actual songs on the record (Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in 2).

I realize some of these are 10 to 11:00 songs but come on, take a little longer if need be to give us a few more. You know we can't wait another 5 years for 6 new songs.

"Be Patient"

civdis24
05-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Is it me or is anyone dissapointed that in 5 years, we only get 6 actual songs on the record (Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in 2).

I realize some of these are 10 to 11:00 songs but come on, take a little longer if need be to give us a few more. You know we can't wait another 5 years for 6 new songs.

"Be Patient"

Personally I like the filler tracks, except for Lipan Conjuring.. that one is just useless. I'd also say that both Wings for Marie pt 1 and Intension should be considered as real songs, just like say Disposition from Lateralus should. Even Lost Keys although definitely a filler track, has a cool sound and feel to it.

I'd say my favorite song overall is 10,000 Days. It can seriously put you in a trance.

teegman
05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Lipan Conjuring is hands down the best song of the last 30 years.

Filth Monger
05-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Lipan Conjuring reminds me very much of the chanting on the track "Fearless" from Pink Floyd's "Obscured by Clouds" album. On topic though, Vicarious is in my opinion, another attempt at convincing people of the true hostility of human nature, it re-iterates the concept of Disgustipated, that peace is cool and all, but "Nature" (for lack of a better semantic) is brutal and death is a requirement for the full life cycle. I don't know about anyone else here, but when Maynard sings that we all enjoy it too, I know he's right on about me...

IC
05-12-2006, 05:10 AM
might not be my fav..but DEF up there. itjust plain rocks

soberschism
05-12-2006, 05:31 AM
its my favourite too wit 10000 days wings part 2..

Koan
05-12-2006, 06:56 AM

"Be Patient"

So you'd rather have them go "Oh crap! The fans aren't gonna like this! Better write some more tunes before we finish the thing!"

If the band intended the album to be this way, that's the way I would like to hear it. They shouldn't be trying to keep us satisfied. Just be pure in the creation process of the music.

Marshalclick
05-19-2006, 11:07 PM
No flame for you...Vicarious is a great track. I think it is better than last album's single (Schism; I know I am the only one in the universe that thinks that song is a little dull).

Right in Two, Jambi and The Pot are doing it for me at the moment.

Vicarious is one of my fav Tool singles of all time, however, I have two catagories for Tool songs:

1. Singles
2. Art

Schism (for me) blurred the line of the two with its technically challanging time signatures. Math is amazing (read the Rolling Stone article regarding this album)

Vicarious strikes a chord because it confronts a simple yet dark side of human nature....that is, to revel in others loss. Genius.

yac03
05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I can't believe this conversation took place 7 years ago. Not that it was a huge moment in my life...but I get on here occasionally to see what anyone has to say about Tool, or anything else and stumbled across this thread and reminisced.

I was 22, probably holed up in my bedroom in Lawrence, KS, with the lights off at 3am staring at a computer screen, just home from the bar (Brother's...trying to fuck the mojito girl?) drunk and so pumped about my life and this record.

7 years later I've graduated, ran an athletic club, taught high school Spanish, High School English, ran the English department, lived in 4 different houses (one I own), lost 1 family member, 3 women, got 1 back, got 1 dog, been to 6 million concerts, (Tool counting for 7 of them...2 Puscifer and 1 APC) traveled like crazy and now...

I can't stand this fucking song.

Angel on the Sideline
05-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Vicarious had always been my least favorite song on this album. Not that it's a bad song: I've just always liked it less than the others. My favorite has always vacillated between Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two depending on my mood/frame of mind. I know a lot of people criticize Right in Two because they find the lyrics too simplistic as compared to what they've come to expect from Tool. Whatever ... to each his own. I love it musically.

Anyway, it's funny how your perspective changes based on what is going on in your life. When you were younger and in college and more carefree you had a very different outlook than you do now. Your life experiences have shaped you. I guess you've evolved as a person.

I was a sophomore in high school when I first heard Sober. I ran like hell to the record store (yes, they existed once) to buy Undertow. The album rocked my world and I was hooked on Tool for life. I rarely go back and listen to that album anymore. I still love it. It's just that I have changed so much since then (as has Tool's music, of course).