PDA

View Full Version : Who's Maynard addressing?

Godbluff
05-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Something I find a bit different in this song from almost every single other Tool song is that I can't really figure your the point of view and who's being addressed in the song.

I might me nitpicking here, but in most other songs, Maynard chooses to sing in first person, or directly to the listener "learn to swim".

He also seems to be commenting on the "monkeys" as an outside viewer.

He's not using his personal form, the "I" form, nor is he talking to us directly.

Who's he talking to?

Muladhara
05-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Interesting.

I know what you mean I'm just unsure what to reply with but yeah, sounds like this song is a first of a kind in Tool songs.

Apart from No Quarter, but I don't think that counts.

Bobby McFerin
05-09-2006, 07:18 AM
I believe that he is singing it in the aspect of Angels addressing the human race as a whole.

evil agent
05-09-2006, 07:20 AM
He's obviously calling all of humanity "talking monkeys", and commenting on our sorry state.

toolgirly
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
He also seems to be commenting on the "monkeys" as an outside viewer.

He's not using his personal form, the "I" form, nor is he talking to us directly.

Who's he talking to?

Why does he have to be talking to someone? I think it may thoughts running through his head.

Steventh
05-09-2006, 08:59 AM
He's taking a point of view of angels in the sky looking down upon Earth and commenting on how humanity sucks. Pretty simple.

Godbluff
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah, that was kinda my thought as well. Angels talking amongst themselves. Especially with the referral to father.

(Don't start the "Maynard found God" thread here please. He needed a point of reference to base the viewpoint from obivously, nothing more, and he enjoys using christian symbolism.)

I was just wondering since Maynard hasn't really used this form before. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, considering the obvious christian aspects of Wings/10,000 Days, it would seem justifiable to say he is watching angels talking amongts themselves, and they are watching us "monkeys" waste our gifts given by the mother earth, god, it, the spirit, whatever you wanna call it. In the end he is addressing us, just telling it like he sees it (so to speak, with the angel metaphors and all). I'm not saying he has any religious affiliation, organized at least, I'm just saying the whole mood of the album resides with this song, preceded of course by first:Vicarious and Second:Wings/10,000 Days. All of this IMO